• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The market is getting flooded with different tip ups. Has anyone tried the jigging tip up out? I am debating if it’s worth purchasing. I was thinking it could be effective for lake trout. That little bit of movement may trigger one to bite. Any thoughts?

If you're fishing dead bait, a jigging tipup isn't a bad idea, but there already are tip-ups that use wind to move a bait. If you're fishing live bait for lakers, which gives you better odds for numbers of fish than dead bait, there's no reason for a tipup to add movement.

I picked up a wind jigging tip up a few years ago thinking it was going to be the ticket. Its a cheap one with the silver square patch that catchs the wind. Well after 2 years of trying it, it got the shelf. The wind tip would freeze and stop jigging and it was always getting wrapped in itself. Plus the wind tip up got out fished every time. Weird, I thought for sure it would of been the opposite. I fished it for everything lakers, eyes, and pike. I'm not sure how the other brands work.

Eel:

Just to be sure, are you talking live bait for lakers or for some of the other species mentioned?

Ill save you 20$ and dont buy the dave genz jigging tipups there made by Nature Vision and their junk!!! Freeze up in a minute in 20 degree weather. I thought maybe it was just me but meet other guys with the same problem. I even tried to modify them with the same result. Theres my take best wishes!!

Is it the shaft that freezes up? How about the battery life?

Or does if freeze up before the end of the battery life?

Catfish

I tried out some emerald shiners. Had better luck on smelt my self. What type of live bait do you have the best luck on for lake trout?

On Burntside, a live smelt (caught when the clouds come thru on panfish jig tipped with waxie) outproduces all live bait I've used. Golden shiners come in second.

thanks for the info. Cashcrews did snag one then I put it on and caught a fish.

I've caught live smelt on Bside half a dozen times through the ice. I've gotten a laker flag EVERY TIME I've put that smelt on a tip-up. The CO says it's OK to use them for live bait as long as you don't transport them off the lake alive.