• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

TRASH !!!!!!!!!!

fisherman_12006

i was out on bald eagle the other night and every time i go out there it seems like im at the dump. there is so much trash laying around the lake i dont know if other lakes are like that but all it takes is just a couple of minutes to pick up your trash and throw it away.

It's pretty gross... I usually pick stuff up on my way in. I can't believe what is left behind. To think what's at the bottom of the lake once the ice melts.... frown.gif

This past weekend I was fishing a lake here in South Dakota, as a party of guys packed up and left, I noticed some garbage they left behind.

I picked up all the garbage and ran the guys down as they were loading their portable into the back of their truck at the boat launch (nobody was driving on the ice).

I didnt say much, but in a nice calm manner, told them they forgot some things. I dropped it at their feet and left not saying another word.

Im not sure if it was a look of guilt or they were just shocked that I just made a complete fool of them all in front of everyone else. They apologized and I am hoping they learned a lesson, atleast I hope.

Its embarrasing. I mean how hard is it, really to just pick up your junk? But like other similar topics on this site the people reading this probally arn't the ones doing it.

While up at the family cabin on Vermillion last year I was fishing by a calm little bay. Out of no where a large boat comes flying in and I can hear the drunkin yahoo's screaming and yelling. Anyway they proceed to dump a garbage bag full of cans and bottles and ohter debree. I could not believe my eyes. I spent about a 1/2 netting up all that I could with my wife to clean the area. I have no idea why anyone would want to destroy such a beautiful area with garbage like that. It was very very sad.

I agree,if you brought it in,bring it out with you. I was on Bald Eagle tonight with my kids and they saw someone had left their pop bottle in their hole to freeze and were informing me of how it's wrong to litter and pollute our lakes. It amazes me that children can see that it's wrong but some adults can't?There is a dumpster right on shore,it's not that hard to take your garbage and put it in your bucket til you get to shore???I just don't get it??

I thank my parents who taught me the meaning of respect when I was young.

Littering is an act of disrespect for oneself and shows disregard for others.

I think our time is best spent with our families and youth groups. It will get better (less litter) only when there are good examples to follow.

The "children can see [what is] wrong", but they will still follow the example of the "adults".

Keep Your Line Wet,

dsludge

I picked up a dozen or so beer cans going out to a fishing spot the other day, and a couple of empty 12 pack cartons.

In past years I have picked up an old tire and a couple of old car batteries.

Quote:

The "children can see [what is] wrong", but they will still follow the example of the "adults".

Well stated. As was mentioned, talking here is pretty much preaching to the choir. We as an active group on the lakes need to set good examples, and I have made a habit of picking up trash in the middle of groups of houses for all to see, not complaining outloud, but not hiding either. It's not that big of a deal to grab a box or bottle on your way off, and most accesses seem to have some kind of trash receptacle (usually pretty empty, by the way). And if you happen to witness littering or packing up and leaving a mess, calmly call them out on it. At least they'll realize people do notice. Good Luck! McGurk

Every weekend that I'm out on Prior Lake I bring back in a sled full of garbage. Beer cans, pop cans, grocery bags, you name it, it's out there. I think the vast majority of the fisherman are clean sportsmans,it's just the few that view the lake as a personal dumping ground that get under my skin.

I agree with all of you. It makes me sick to think that the same person (animal) who takes advantage of our natural resources by fishing, hunting or whatever would want to destroy them by being lazy.

Thanks to the people who pick up after these slobs.

D

I agree. Our actions are visible and effect others both positively and negatively. That is why I teach my kids and any people I bring in to the sport that cleaning up is part of the process of fishing or hunting.

Leave it cleaner than when you arrived.

TAKE ONLY PICTURES AND LEAVE ONLY FOOT PRINTS! only exception to that rule is take a few fish for the pan. IMO... you should not even leave it at the access trash cans. you brought it take it back with you!!! if you are worried about haveing a few empty beer bottles or cans in your vehicle, welll then, maybe you should not be driveing either. those cans have to be emptied and that costs the dnr or other orginazation money that could be spent else where. with todays limits on your catch you will have enuff room in your bucket to fit YOUR!!!! garbage into. if you want to live like pigs, come to the country, and ill find a pig pen for you to live in. but i will have to tell you... even pigs have better standards than these people that leave garbage. ...... paul

I'll take a full trash can at the access over a lake and access strewn with trash. Can the DNR spend that money more wisely, probably yes, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that if the trash cans are taken, we'd be writing about the trash thrown everywhere at the access. I see your point but if I'm taking someone elses trash it's going into the nearest public trash receptacle. If they are there use them. They are charged by the week whether they are full or not (at least the one's I've seen) in both the summer and winter. Good Luck and thanks for caring for our lakes! McGurk