• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bayport area???

fly651

I haven't fished that area before and would like to know where you get onto the ice in Bayport? Directions would be helpful. Thanks.

Fly651,

Heading south through Bayport on Hwy95, take a left on either Central Avenue, or 2nd Ave South (basically heading toward the river from anywhere in downtown Bayport will get you close). They will both take you to Lakeside Park, where you will find parking lots on either the north, or south ends. From there simply unload your gear, and head down the bank onto the river! You'll see all the other houses and people out there.

Have fun!

Chad

thanks Willy-C... I guess I'll try it out this weekend if I'm not busy. What type of bait usually works down there? And how's the ice?

Fly-guy,

I've felt plenty safe walking on the ice, and people have been out on it with ATV's, but personally I would stick with walking. You really don't have to walk very far so its not a big deal.

In regards to bait...I've had my best luck on small jigs tipped with maggots, and small jigging-spoons tipped with small crappie minnows, or minnow heads. Surprisingly I haven't had any hits yet on my tip-up, which I usually just sink with a big fathead on a bare hook, or small jig.

Best of luck this weekend,

Chad

Fly-Guy,

According the map I have, the deepest part of the basin in front of Bayport is 40-feet, which is way across on the Sconnie-side. You'll probably see a bunch of houses sitting on the hole. On the MN side from shore it drops to about 12-15FOW, and then back up a bit on the finger that runs south from the large point near the smoke-stack, and then it drops off into about 30-35FOW on the main basin of the river.

If you've got the cash I suggest you pick up a metro lake/river map book, or a specific St. Croix map. If your cheap like me, you can simply download them for free from the MN DNR website, under the "Lake Finder" section. Just type in "St. Croix" and the PDF's should pop-up. Its also a great resource for any MN lake too.

Go get em'

Chad

Fly651..

Hotspots carries a map of both upper and lower St croix.The lower croix map starts just above Stillwater and goes to Prescott.This the map I first bought to learn the river,I now have an h2o with the lakemaster chip.The depth readings arent always accurate but the contour lines are.The map is nice cause it explains in basics what fish are caught in what area at what time of year.That should help you get a start in your search.hope this helps..