• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

new to the river

SRRvrRnr

Hey guys. Just got my boat last fall and after hitting several lakes I made it to the river. Been going in north of Sartell and am now hooked! Guess I was wondering just how far a guy can go? Got as far as Gordons bridge on my last day before i painfully put it away for the winter. More of an eye guy, but have managed to hook about everything she has to offer. Any info for a new river rat would be appreciated. btw..starcraft cstar 170(17' deep v) /115 opti.

Welcome. I, too, was once a lake person. grin.gif

All I can tell you is be careful with that boat on the river. You'll see jet boats and smaller jon boats make it all the way up to the Dam in royalton, but I couldn't tell you how far your boat will make it.

Kevin will sell you a boat that will remove any doubt about making it all the way to the Dam, though.

I grew up in that area. The area from the Sartell Dam north to the Mississippi County Park are pretty safe for the most part. It is shallow in areas, but mostly sand. North of there, I'd be very careful. There are lots of rocks awaiting your prop.

SRRvrRnr,

Welcome to the forum.

Looks like you've found the right stretch of river for a boat that size. I fish the river upstream from Clearwater. Come mid-summer, when the water levels are dropping and the fishing is getting good, a boat like yours would not do very well on my stretch of the river.

Best way to learn to fish the river is by experimenting and fishing with others. Seems that every summer I find a new "spot" and a new technique. Last summer it was late evening topwaters. This summer I want to play with plastic worms more. So many lures, so little time.

And as HT already said, when you have crossed over to the dark side you will have to look into a 'real' river boat. KT can set you up. See his website link in his post. Someday I to will own a RiverPro.

Uh Oh another SR riverrat grin.gif. Welcome to the dark side. There's a gazillion fish north of the dam at sartell. Absolutley nothing between the dams grin.gif.

Heyyyyy

EG, where were you tonight???? shocked.gif

Time to sit on the internet, but no time to hang out with da boyz? frown.gif

I was on an appointment in isanti trying to make a sale so I can buy more gas and tubes for my addiction.

Quote:

Welcome to the dark side.

Hmmm... I have been working on this theory that you river fisherman are turning into a cult LOL laugh.gif

the area north of sartell up to the park is safe but after that dont no what to expect. sand bars on sides stay towards the middle

Mmmmmmwwwwhhhooooooaaaaahhhhh !!!! Little did y'all know. 36_11_21.gif

Wellcome to the dark side dude. The river can be a very rewarding and yet unforgiving place..... well, at least until you get yourself a jet rig.... tongue.gif

Seriously, be careful above the county park. Just past that area there are some shallow bars that almost jut out to the center of the channel. Take your time and learn the area carefully. Good luck.

Dan, I remember last July after you went to the river. You were about ready to join the cult after your experience! Too bad there was such a bad winter kill on the river and all the smallies died. It was fun while it lasted. tongue.gif