• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What's up with Star in the winter

Any of you fish star lake in the winter? My folks have a place up there. I fish it a lot in the summer but don't hear much about the winter bite. is there one? where (and for what) do most people try?

It's for some reason been the dead sea the last two or three years at least for me been out there twice this year lot af small northeres like alway's great for smoking see alot of walleye's on the camra but they won't give me the time of day but when I go I try to stay in my trusty spots I've been fishing since I was 5 years old so there could be some poeple cathing some stuff I don't know!

It has been hit or miss this year,(mostly miss for me). The big thing has been the ice this year. Not much ice, alot of snow, warm weather,and slush.Sounds like fun. Was out on Sunday looking for crappies and not a bite. Haven't tried for walleyes there.

It has been hit or miss this year,(mostly miss for me). The big thing has been the ice this year. Not much ice, alot of snow, warm weather,and slush.Sounds like fun. Was out on Sunday looking for crappies and not a bite. Haven't tried for walleyes there.

Hey, I'll give up a spot (in hopes that other people give some up too grin.gif).

One of my favorite spots is just east of the small island by the west arm along that drop off going west and south (mostly west) of the island. It's almost always good for a quick 'eye or two.

The last two years it has been 'the dead sea'. What's funny is it really has been the last two years. I did really well up until then. Last year I don't think I got a fish over 20". Other years I feel like they average about 18-20. Most of the fish I caught last year were 12-13. yuck.

Also, the gills have gone down the tube in that lake.

Now, can someone else give up some spots? please. Don't say "the flats by the boys camp" because that is the most overrated spot on the lake. (at least for me, I never get much there.

Go over to rocky's and ask some of the locals ,ask for louie gehrig cool.gif. He knows everything. I used to spear there a few years back It was good. When I was a kid in the late seventies my dad would take me and spear some big ones . I can't remember where it was excactly tho. Dave gehrig knows where to get panfish on that lake too.

i know dave (aka davey) and lou. davey spends most his time hunting down someone to bs with on his wheeler. lou catches his share of panfish on that lake, that's for sure. lou does a lot more fishing then davey these days.

I knew someone would know these two. Davey has slowed but is still sharp as a tack. He always says if he were on millionaire that louie would be his phone a friend cause that sob know everything. I don't know how those two have lived together for so long? Really nice people they are tho. Our crew has fished the opener there for many years, we stay at the galaxy. I wonder if that has sold yet?

Three winters ago, the Star lake sunfish population got raped. There were many that went out on the south arm around Peterson's point and literally took buckets of big sunfish out of the lake. You would see the same people out there day after day and sometimes twice a day. That is the reason the DNR reduced the limit on sunfish on the lake. I think that there is something that happened that winter that has caused the fishing on Star lake to be less than average the last couple of years. There are still alot of sunfish in the lake, but not nearly as many really large fish as there use to be. Another nice spot for eyes is the breakline just east of Peaches Trailer Court.

BIG DAWG Hit it on the head the sunfish were just raped I think the fish are still in there they just have found some sorth of new food source that has moved them from there normal places at least that what I think not an expert I mostly fish for crappies and walleye's and every time am out there I can put down the cammra down and see a lot a eye's but they won't bite at least for me!

I was up on star last weekend and managed a couple northerns and some perch.. nothing worth keeping though.. I seen a crap load of people fishing the west arm as usuall... they were all in portables so the ice must not be that great over there.. but somebody must be catching something over there.. How big is the question????

The biggest problem with Star in the winter is that with the exception of the Arms it freezes late and is known for some shaky ice on the main lake all winter, particularly around the islands. This year the flooding has been horrible after the late December snow on top of only 4 inches of ice. We came very close to putting our ATV in a crack in late December. Had some nice size on the sunnies this summer, but the crappies have been slow and small the past couple years in both the West and South arms.