• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Home on leave in April, where can I find the best fishing

Just found out I'm going over-seas in May, I'll be home in April in the Alex area. Crappie should be open. Where and how should I fish them. confused.gif

Thanks,

Mike

New to the Alex area.

Kudos, Mike.

Traditionally, you're in between seasons in April. If springs warms fast, you could try Oscar bay just off Highway 27 - usually fast action from shore. Boat fishing is a crap-shoot, depends on water temps - and hatch.

On a side note - God's Speed, Sir.

Northernhunter, As stated April can be a tough month, but there is nearly always somethint going somewhere. Try posting the week before you come home and we may be able to put you on some action. It changes almost daily depending on the weather so its hard to speculate. In the meantime, enjoy the forums, there is a lot of great information, and good humor out here! Brent

keep us informed, I will help if I can. I know a couple spots where the ctappies bite in april. My hat is off to you. Mike

the bay by torgy's on minnewaska can be good in april, otherwise if you want to drive a couple hours there are some great opportunities in south dakota

• 1 month later...

Mike, don't know anything about the fishing up there but wanted to say Thanks for serving!

James P. Schmitz

MSGT, USAF, Retired

• 3 weeks later...

I don't mean to ask for honey-holes, but when you say there are great opportunities in South Dakota, do any of these opportunities happen to be near Sioux Falls or in the general area? I'm down here at school and wouldn't mind taking a break from studies once in awhile to do some fishing... Thanks!

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Mike89
      just off to the west is a State park and a lake access is in there too..    it's called Mille Lacs Kathio State Park
    • smurfy
      🤣 so you drove threw Remer then? home of sasquatch!!!!!!!!🤗👌
    • leech~~
      Funny, my wife and I drove by Big Rice on our way to Grand Rapids. I pointed to the launch and said, somewhere there's an old rotting couch in there, two clowns 🤡🤡 on the forum keep joking each other about pissing on. She said gross! Cuz that's what guys talk about on forums! 😆😅🤣
    • smurfy
      i think he moved it down south of remer..........closer to his recliner by big rice lake!!!!!!!!🤣🤗
    • gimruis
      You can still fish Mille Lacs during the closure from July 1-15.  You just can't specifically target a walleye or use live bait.  There's plenty of smallmouth bass and pike in the lake that you can target with artificial lures and you might get lucky with a muskie.   The wind can be an issue out there though.  If that doesn't sound appealing to you, try the Rum River.  There is an access in Kathio State Park that would work well for a kayak.  You could go upstream and downstream from there too.   I think you will need to purchase a daily pass to use that access in the park (it might be like 5 bucks).  I haven't fished there in years but I fish the Rum River further downstream every season and the fishing in there is fantastic during midsummer.  Look for current breaks, seams, and deeper holes.
    • chaffmj
      Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. Glad your place was ok. Lake Country power said they had 20 poles toppled in one area!
    • leech~~
      You still have your trailer and place up there? Maybe you should do some summer rentals of it to help pay the taxes and up keep on it? 👍
    • fins_n'_feathers
      The water is starting to slowly go down. From what I can tell it looks like it’s down about 5-6 inches. The wind was terrible over the weekend though. I’m sure many properties suffered damages with Sundays winds. Things are finally starting to head in the right direction but it’s going to take a very long time for things to get back to even somewhat normal. 
    • Rivergroup
      Stopped at VC last week as well.  Didn't have pizza, but the sandwiches and appetizers we had were good.  The service was very good.  However, that's the first and only time we had been there.
    • delcecchi
      Any other info about VC?   Got kid and and fam coming up.  Been a couple years but really liked it.   Reviews on line still good.   Did Mark just hit on a bad night or has it gone down?   Being on west not a place we go often.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.