• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Vikings Thinking About Shaun Alexander

Rick

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Clipped from St Paul Pioneer Press:

There's talk that Vikings owner Zygi Wilf, as a way to endear fans and improve chances for a new stadium, might bid big for Seattle Seahawks running back Shaun Alexander, the NFL's most valuable player, who will be a free agent after the season. The Vikings, however, say that hasn't been discussed.

CLICK HERE for entire article

What is everybodies thoughts on this. I think that it will take to much cap money to sign a guy like this. It is the O-line that is the important part, without that it wont matter who is back there they wont succeed. I think if we spend money on the line we can get someone for alot less or backs we already have to be a good back, use Denver as a example.

I would like to see the Vikes make improvements up front on the O-line. For most running backs, it starts at the O-line..exceptions in my mind would have been Barry Sanders and a few others. So in my opinion, improvements on the O-line should come first.

I for one would like to see the Vikes try and get the USC running back in the draft...what's his name...Lendell White??? He had some pretty darn good numbers with USC and looked like a good sized back if I'm not mistaken. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Would be a great addition but...with a west coast offense how would he help? He would be a 2 down back. Lendell White looked good on nation TV for a game but he is a College running back and unproven as a pro. Granted every player coming out of college is unproven but are the Vikings looking for a team right now or 2-3 years down the road. Like most fans we want to see a winning team right now. O line is a concern, Will improve with Birk's return but there is a marked need there. I don't think we are going to see any thing really happen till training camp and a few trades are made. So many things changing at once hard to put it all together, New coaching staff, new offenise direction. New QB ? an entire new line backing core? Will be an interesting off season. I don't see any big help coming in the draft unless there is some trading done.. I'll take a wait and see attitude. That all said I love Alexander I just don't think we can spend everything on plugging one hole up when there are so many..

I know for fact we could have had huim last year for our second round pick, but noooooooooooooo. We'll see what happens.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Alexander on my team. BUT in the NFL, RB's production takes a major downturn after the age of 30 and I believe Alexander is 28-29? If we were to aquire him, it would take a huge and Long term contract to get him. With a lot of good RBs in the draft this year, I think that is the route that we need to go.

Alexander has also never been hurt (up until last week) and doesn't get punished like some running backs do, he's kinda a Marcus Allen where he just knows the angle to not getting hit real hard!

He's a stud but I dont know if he could help the Vikings enough to justify what they'd have to pay him

• 3 weeks later...

After watching him all playoffs, there is no way I would spend the kind of money it will take to sign him. He's a good player, I didnt see him much during the regular season, They must have faced some soft defenc'es during the regular season, anyway too costly for the vikings to go after.

We don't have Seattles O-line, therefore he would never be as productive in Minnesota... oh wait maybe we can get Ron Yary and Mick Tingelhoff back in shape and talk Randal McDaniel out of retirement and get him in shape... OK, that won't happen so the draft idea sounds best to me.... although a healthy Matt Birk will help!

If they want a real good running back they should look to take Duce Staley away from the Pittsburg steelers who made him sort of dissapear this season. does anbody know why. He was on roster and not on injury list but not on the field most of the season. and the bus has got nothing on him. grin.gif

Staley started the year hurt I believe. My guess is that he was never 100% at any point during the year.

Don't forget Edgerin James. He is a free agent.

Lots of options at RB assuming we can get 1-2 O-lineman.

With the huge amount of cap room available i wouldnt have a problem with the vikings signing a football player of that caliber. That would be fun too watch.

Actually Duce has had injury issues the past two year. He's pretty much "washed up" as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't want to be counting on him going into a season if I were you.

I believe March 3rd is the first day to sign free agents. If they Vikes move as fast as they did hiring a coach, we should see where looking pretty fast! I think that will answer a lot of questions about where they are heading!

I agree with Down to Earth's assessment. Duce Staley was a good all around journeyman type back or a little better, but there's very little tread left on his tire.

If you ask me, mewelde moore is a great back, just needs birk back in the line up. dont spend 8M a year on alexander, the O line makes 75% of the running back. Also Onterrio is back this year, if he can keep the pipe out of his mouth he could be great. So I say fix the line, we are just fine at backs.

If the Viks bring O. Smith back, we'll have our starter. I heard some where that he is clean and in really good shape. So I would focas on o-line and fine tuning our defense!

That Onterrio thing just scares me though. I heard the same reports about him being cleaned up, but it takes just one weekend out with his hommies and he is gone. I'd hate to have to rely on him and all of a sudden he's gone ind the middle of the season. i think Mewelde could be great in a west coast offense, but he seems a bit injury prone.

You guys need work on your O-line & D. Alexander looks good because of the line he runs behind in Seattle. You'll see if you're lucky enough to land him.

What are the odds that Matt Birk will be 100% and playing for us next year? If he is healthy not only will his ability on the field help but so will his leadership.

I would rather have them pay that $$$ to sign E. James than Alexander. James is a hard runner and Alexander isn't IMO!!! I just believe Alexander needs a great line to be successfull and James can do it without.........

By GREGG BELL, AP Sports Writer

March 5, 2006

SEATTLE (AP) -- NFL Most Valuable Player Shaun Alexander has agreed to a $62 million, eight-year contract to remain with the Seattle Seahawks, his agent said Sunday night.

Jim Steiner said the deal is the richest ever for an NFL running back and will net the league's leading rusher over $15.1 million in guaranteed cash.