• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tips for 16th Annual Extravaganza-Round Lake!

The 16th Annual Jaycees ice fishing Extravaganza is here again. Every year it is one of the highlights of the winter here in the Nisswa area. Here are a few tips from the experts on how to make the most out of the event and maybe even go home with a great prize!

1. Dress Warm-It's much easier just to shed a layer if it unseasonally warm. It is tough to have fun if you are freezing your toes off. Some years it has been 40 degrees others it has been sub zero. So watch the weather report and be prepared. Stocking hats, a good pair of gloves/mittens, and a scarf are all necessities. Handwarmer heat packs always come in handy too.

2. Travel Light- I can always tell who the first timers are. They carry everything but the kitchen sink. I recommend just sticking to the basics. A five gallon pail, a couple of jigging rods/drop lines, small amount of tackle if you like to change, an ice scooper, and your flasher unit. A spud bar is nice to have for opening holes that froze over but I've always just borrowed from other anglers when I'm out there. If you don't want to carry your gear bring a small sled. After looking at the contest area on Round I noticed it is quite a walk out to the fishing area.

3. Bring a small amount of Bait- I know I'm probably shooting myself in the foot, but you only need a few minnows and maybe some wax worms or maggots. It's only three hours of fishing. Here at Sportland we have a contest mix that is pre-packaged the morning of the contest. It has pretty much everything you'll need to win the Truck. Plus you will be in and out the doors in no time, it's a real time saver.

4. Support the Charities- Thats what this contest is all about. Eat the food and snacks that are sold out on the ice, there are numerous vendors selling different items. Most of the proceeds go to some really great causes.

5. Use the Parking and Shuttles- Use the parking areas provided. The shuttles run non stop back and forth all day so you can come and go as you wish. It is the easiest way to get to and from the contest area. One parking area is right accross the road from our shop, we are less than 2 miles north of the contest. Another area is at the BIR raceway which is about 4 miles south of the contest area. The shuttles start running at 8:00 am.

6. Just Have Fun- Many anglers take it pretty serious but as we all know after a few years, it really is a game of chance. Anyone can win, even a rookie. If you catch a fish be sure to register, even small fish have won huge prizes. That's what is great about this event. Anyone can win.

7. Fishing Tips- Everyone has their own strategies so I'll leave that one alone. My biggest advice is pay attention to your line. Ask any guide or avid angler and they will probably say that if you pay attention to your line and concentrate on working your bait correctly you will catch more fish. It only takes one bite to take home a prize, you would hate to miss it. Fish where you are comfortable. On Round Lake the depths range from 5 feet to 40 feet. There are a couple of sunken islands that could produce some good catches, but I'm guessing there will be fish caught everywhere.

8. Bait- Some of the best rigs for Round lake are just the standards. Jigging spoons or bigger tear drop style jigs work well as do bobber set ups with a minnow. Typically the best minnows for the contest will be Golden Shiners, Rainbow Chubs, Fatheads, and Crappie Minnows. As always some guys will catch a few fish using Sucker Minnows, Wax Worms, or Maggots.

9. Gamefish Targets- Anything you catch you can register. Any other day of the year you would hate to see a big ugly eelpout on the end of your line, not today. The fish that are caught every year are Walleyes, Perch, Rock Bass, Eelpout, Tulibees, and the occasional Northern Pike. This year you see more sunfish, crappies, and northerns than normal.

I hope this helps out some of the new anglers to the contest. From myself and everyone here at Dave's Sportland Bait and Tackle we wish every angler the best of luck in this years contest.

Jason Erlandson

Don't forget to add one thing to your list of essentials and that is a bag or bucket to put a small amount of water in once you catch a fish.

Although the Brainerd Lakes Area Walleye Alliance will be on hand to provide bags of water to people waiting in line and to operate the release effort of ALL types of fish caught, the goal of the tournament officials is to eventually have all participants bringing their own bag or bucket to put their fish in while they wait in line to weigh their fish.

If more people did this, we could dramatically increase the successful live release rate. Please do your part to help and remember, not just walleyes, we want to release all types of fish caught.

Thanks,

ccarlson

Brainerd Lakes Area Walleye Alliance Volunteer

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

We always use a bucket with water in it. One of the walleye alliance guys came up to my wife with her bucket in line and told, "You've done this before" Her response was that we've been doing this for awhile.

See yo there!

Good call guys! I always seem to miss something every year. Good Luck this year!

Jason Erlandson

there is a northern pike slot that will apply,right?ifso what is it?bring a tape messure?

yes there is a slot. Any pike under 30" must be released they wont let you weight it in. So bring a tape.