• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Childress shopping DC?

Bobby Bass

The word is out that coach Childress is testing the market for DC not because of his injury but Chidress has concerns whether he will be able to run the West Coast offense..May be nothing but I think the Viking are going to be a subject all summer long.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• buzzsaw

• JIvers

• cybermuskie

• nofishfisherman

That was a rumor last year until Warner signed with Arizona. He could go somewhere, there's few retreads on the market right now. If the Vikes pick up a QB in the draft, I could see DC getting cut in March so they won't have to pay him $6 mil roster bonus.

I've been wondering about whether Culpepper is a West Coast QB, and by "wondering" I mean "I don't think he is". Childress has made it clear he is bringing the West Coast offense to Minnesota, and reports surfaced as soon as he was hired that Childress was having trouble contacting Culpepper. DC is definitely a roll-out home-run style QB, and I am a fan and defender of his skills, but I cannot see him adjusting well to the West Coast offense, which emphasizes a short, controlled passing game, with the QB working from the pocket. Culpepper definitely had trouble with a short-field controlled passing game this season before he was hurt.

This of course opens a big enough can of worms to keep me catching fish for a month. Brad Johnson is much better suited to the West Coast offense than DC, and he just said he wants to be a starter in the league next year. I like Culpepper, but I do think trading him would be best with the switch to the West Coast offense. Johnson, of course, will be 38 next season, and has a history of injury problems, so if DC is traded a younger QB would need to be brought in via free agency (Atlanta's Matt Schaub comes to mind), or through the draft, because Brad Johnson is not a long-term solution at QB, whatever you think of his skills.

On the subject of trading Culpepper, Denny Green is rumored to be interested, as is Scott Linehan, currently offensive coordinator at Miami, and possibly soon to be a head coach somewhere else. Before the horrible knee injury, I would have said DC was worth a first-round pick for sure, but now that is debatable. However it pans out, I agree that it won't be a boring off-season.

How's this for a trade? DC and the Vikes first round to Houston for Carr and their first. Houston is going to have an all new coaching staff also, and Linehan is rumoured to be going to Houston. Carr could use a year behind Johnson, with maybe a year in Europe. Europe helped Johnson alot, could do the same with Carr.

Food for thought in the off season.

LOL thats the biggest homer trade Ive ever heard of... why the heck would Houston give up Carr and the number one pick for a Good QB that noone even knows if he'll ever play again, DC's injury is career threatening especially for a mobile QB! I really like DC and am a huge supporter of his BUT I don't think he's a west coast offense QB and sadly after his injury he's only worth..... maybe a third or fourth round draft pick, That being said I hate to say it but we should cut him and throw the bank at Schaub from Atlanta, if Mora had a brain down in Atlanta he would bench Vick, and Schaub would be his starting QB. Schaub is ten times the QB Vick is.

Ohhh and theres no way Schaub would have to back up "BackUp" Brad either because he's twenty times the QB Brad is at this point in his career!

I thought Childress has talked with DC and the latest was he has indicated DC is his QB. Course that could all be saying the right things, etc. Who knows.

dont know if anyone else heard the interview, but childress was on Jim Rome show yesturday, he really didnt say a whole lot of culpepper, surgery went well etc...nothing about being a starter or west coast offense or trades. So its hard to say, I guess for now the whole situation is probally up in the air dependign on how healthy he is when he comes back.

However Childress did say that Brad Johnson is staying, all the drama about him demanding a trade was all media, and that Brad is happy where he is at.

But as mentioned above, that could all be saying the right things, etc.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Clipped from the St Paul Pioneer Press:

The Vikings are downplaying quarterback Daunte Culpepper's reticence in meeting in person with new coach Brad Childress. Team officials say they haven't evaluated the roster for 2006 nor discussed the quarterback situation.

The Vikings do not plan to provide QB Brad Johnson, who is under contract for three more years at $1 million annually but wants to start, with a new deal. Wilf has said he intends to pay Culpepper a $6 million bonus that comes due as part of his contract in March.

CLICK HERE for entire article

With the fact that Daunte would only talk over the phone and didnt meet face to face with childress and it didnt sound like all that great of a conversation a trade wouldnt be suprising. I also heard that Miami is interested and he wants to go there what about a Daunte for Ricky Williams trade. He may have some emotional problems but if he is going to keep playing it may be worth it.

It seems like whenever the Vikes get rid of a QB they go on to be great soon after they leave. Ex. Rich Gannon, and Brad Johnson. Maybe they/we gave up on our QB to soon. Just something to think about!

The news now is that Daunte wants more money. I believe he was just signed to a long contract last spring and now he wants to be the highest paid player in the NFL come on . Let him go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

The news now is that Daunte wants more money. I believe he was just signed to a long contract last spring and now he wants to be the highest paid player in the NFL come on .

Oh my word, you are joking right? The guy looked like a third string H.S. QB this year, was charged in the loveboat scandal and he thinks he should be the highest paid player in the NFL? Is Drew Rosenhaus his agent???????

If it's true then he really just wants out of Minnesota. I wouldn't doubt that he is trying to get out after the love boat fiasco....

The Rochester Post-Bulletin had just this story in the sports section tonight. If it is true (Culpepper asking for more money), then I have to think it is a negotiating ploy to get him out of Minnesota. In addition to all the other good reasons everyone gave for why DC should not be asking for a raise, he is in the early stages of recovery from a total knee blowout.

Quote:

How's this for a trade? DC and the Vikes first round to Houston for Carr and their first. Houston is going to have an all new coaching staff also, and Linehan is rumoured to be going to Houston. Carr could use a year behind Johnson, with maybe a year in Europe. Europe helped Johnson alot, could do the same with Carr.

Food for thought in the off season.

You can't possibly be serious can you? Hell, if that would work, why not ask the colts for manning & james for dc & bennett? That trade is almost as ridiculous as the herschel walker deal.

Where to start? First of all DC will be here next year! He is an elite QB in the this league. I have heard that he wants more money as well. With the way things stand right now, he doesn't deserve a new contract. His ego really took a hit this year with his horrible year and the Vikes run under Johnson. This is why he is kind of in a shell. It is unbelievable what his reputation is nation wide vs. MN wide. [Note from admin: Please read forum policy] Johnson isn't even in the same stratosphere as DC.

Nationwide people aren't watching the Vikes every Sunday. Nationwide they're watching their favorite team which is likely from the state/city they live in or nearby. Johnson and DC are two totally different qb's with two totally different styles...and let's not forget that Johnson has a ring and DC does not. So I don't think there's a stratosphere to talk about here...not at least until DC gets himself a ring. Obviously Johnson is no spring chicken anymore, and I don't know if he's the right guy for the job or not...but the nice thing about that...it's not our decision anyway. We'll have to wait and see who the new coach decides to start.

Culpepper had a horrible season, plain and simple. He did not adjust to the controlled short-passing game that the Vikings needed to run this year, and the Vikings' horrible performance on offense reflected this failure when Culpepper was in charge. I agree that Johnson and Culpepper are not in the same league--Johnson's turnover ratio is nowhere close to what Culpepper's was this season, and Johnson put together a winning record as Vikings QB, while Culpepper buried the team's early playoff chances with five losses. I guess Lawfirm didn't actually watch any of the Viking games where Culpepper stunk up the field. But then, statistics and actual on-field performance would undermine Lawfirm's beliefs, so he ignores such irritating details.

Culpepper can be a very good QB in this league, but the past season showed that he is not suited to the controlled passing game, three and five step drops, and short, quick passes that are the hallmark of the West Coast offense that Ray Childress brings with him from Philadelphia.

There's no doubt Culpepper wants out of Minnesota. Johnson wants to be a starter somewhere. Let him be our starter.

Nam

culapdancer isn't even worth a 3rd round pick with that cottage cheese knee!! at best, he'd end up being our 3rd stringer or better yet the practice squad might be a good place for him.

we don't have much for big bodies of water over here that have "pleasure" cruises so he might get a little bored... smile.gif

i don't know buzz, in 7 games culpepper had thrown 12 picks already! he and favre would have been neck and neck for the league lead. i guess they both pretty much sucked this year!! wink.gif

My main man Otto, you are correct! Sucky sucky sucky! Good thing we had the old man Johnson to come in and mess up our potentially high draft pick! shocked.gif

One of the most ignorant replies I've ever seen law-firm! That race card play is so weak it really doesn't even deserve further discussion. Just totally pathetic to lower this thread to that level.

In this corner we have LAWFIRM, a newcomer with a great left cross and in this corner we have LAWDOG, known by many as the defending champion of the common folk who has a great right upper cut! It should be an interesting battle between two die hard purple fans!

Tale of the tape:

Lawdog ---------------- Lawfirm

5 ft 9 inches 300 lbs --- 5 ft 6 inches 278 lbs

Reach: 76 inches --- Reach: 98 inches

Stamina: 3 minutes --- Stamina: 2 1/2 minutes

Fanclub: 36 people --- Fanclub: still working on it.

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

The Pioneer-Press and Star-Tribune are reporting that Culpepper, angry with his agent's maneuverings and frustrated with the pace of his contract bonus talks, called for a face-to-face meeting with top Viking officials to work out their differences. According to this story, the Wilfs and new coach Ray Childress did not show up after being asked by DC to attend. In addition, Zygi Wilf publicly praised Brad Johnson yesterday, while not mentioning the Culpepper situtation at all.

If this story is accurate, the Wilfs seem to be sending a message about Culpepper's place, or lack thereof, on next year's squad. Given Culpepper's struggles this season, Johnson's efficient performance after Culpepper went down, the questionable status of DC's knee, and Childress's switch to the West Coast offense, this may not be a bad move on the Wilf's part. You also have to factor in Culpepper's alleged bad conduct at the Love Boat party. I think the media has blown the issue out of proportion, but the Wilfs seem committed to re-habbing the team's public image, and on top of Culpepper's other issues, his involvement in the boat party may make trading or releasing him that much more attractive to the Wilfs.

If they are planning to trade DC I sure would like to know who they have in mind to take his place? I don't think Johnson is the answer.

Having Johnson play one more year as a starter and maybe bring in a younger qb that can learn the Westcoast offense might be the way they are looking. Culpepper isn't a Westcoast offense player and if Childress is bringing that to the Vikes what other options are there?

I wonder if trading DC and their 1st round pic to move up in the draft is a possibility. I know there aren't any standout QB's after young and leinhart, but a top picked QB's are not always the best NFL players, look at Tom Brady!!! I think whatever we do with DC or out draft pick we need to find someway to bring in a young quarterback and let him learn from brad for a year. I can't see anyway of daunte regaining the teams confidence, the states support, and the health and confidence in himself to lead this team where it needs to go. I hate saying this because I have always been a DC fan, but now am starting to become realistic.