• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dumb slot limit question

broncosguy711

what happens if you are fishing on Mille Lacs and you catch a 22" waleye, but is bleeding bad and will not survive? do you push it back down the hole? what is done in this situation? just trying to cover all bases for when I am up there.

thanks-

Broncs

Bronco, thats not such a dumb question, its a very good question. The slot is "release all fish between 20 and 28 inches", so no matter the condition of the fish, the law says you must release it, even though the ethical sportsman in you tells you that you probably should not. It does not matter what condition the fish is in, the DNR wants you to return that fish to the water and take a chance that it might survive. Even if you should happen to miss handle the fish and drop it and kill it stone cold dead, you would most likely get a ticket for it if you were found with it. Believe me I am willing to bet the DNR officers hear every excuse in the book and they probably won't have much pitty on you if they find you breaking the slot law.

Thanks, That is what I figured, but there are probably some out there that think mortality might have something to do with getting around it maybe.

Broncs.

Think of it from the DNR's view. There's probably been people out there that keep non-keepers and kill them with the hook on purpose. Just to have an excuse.

Hopefully, if possible we can follow a little of the advise and clip the line if the hook is buried deep. If you read the recommended way you are suppose to leave about a inch of line outside the side edge of the fishes mouth. Supposedly, this allows the hook to lay flat while the fish is eating and until the hook can dissolve and fall out.

We can only hope that the mortality is not too high.

I agree with clipping the line. I caught a 26" eye on Pelican near Orr that had a line sticking out of his mouth. I am pretty sure that it had been released and seemed to be just fine. It is like letting that little buck walk by. If you let him walk, he has a chance to get bigger but... someone else might shoot him. The only thing that is a fact at that moment,is if you shoot him or in this case keep the fish, it will be dead 100% of the time.