• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

setting the hook?

broncosguy711

OK, trying to learn as much as possible with the up coming trip to Mille Lacs and everyone has been great.

Setting the hook on eyes???? pop them right away? half way down the hole? the bottom of the hole? or out of sight bobber? And is it leagal to release pout? as I thought in the summer "technically" rough fich are not to be released. how would you prepare it? and how does it taste?

thanks-

Broncs

(a dumb pollock)

It's legal to release any fish, even rough fish in the winter and summer. In fact, it's illegal to kill them and leave them lay or toss them back into the water.

broncos,

Release the pout unless you are going to eat them. I cant say i have eaten them often but smoked was the way i had them the problem with the pout is they really suck to clean. as far as setting the hook. If you are bobber fishing an eye will take the bobber down with no problem. them little pearch will pop it down then right back up. when bobber is down lift up slowly and you will be able to feel the walleye. that is when you want to set the hook. I will tell you now though you are definately going to want to jig. when jigging you will be able to feel when they hit right away if they are walleye or pout. Are you bringing electronics with? they are really abig help.

For Walleyes and has been a good succuss for us. We will let the Walleye take line and give it line until it stops. Then we will let it sit until the line starts going again. Once that line starts moving again, take it. smile.gif

Later, Matt

Will have the electronics there, vex and thinking of renting a camera also.

Broncs

When I know its not a perch bite I give it the old 5-10 1000 count, reel up any slack then cross their eyes! Wallys and Eelpout have bony mouths so you can really reef on them without tearing the hook out like with crappies. Good luck.