• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Found a few

kelly-p

Sat. my kids fished there and ended up with 11 for 3 people. Sunday Dad was there and picked up 4. Yesterday I took some people into that area and I got 4, 2 people got 5 and the other 4 people only 1. About 6 1/2 miles out and 1 to 1 1/2 miles north of the main road. Buddy and Foster plowed to there today. To get there go 4 1/2 miles out on Hillman's road. Turn right (north) and follow the winding path until you are between Rocky Point and Hillman's main road. About 2 1/2 miles after you turn off the main road. This is not a normal Hillman's straight road as I flagged it with the Mazda tiptoeing around the scary looking places. The road winds back and forth but keeps working you west.

sweet! Kelly are you moving some houses there? my dad and I are coming up on Sunday

I don't dare take the big ones out there yet as it is thinner ice. Any significant snow fall and the ice will sink creating more slush pockets and it a long way to high ground. I didn't even take the 1 ton out there to plow but let Buddy and Foster do the plowing with their smaller trucks. I may take a small house out there today to test and Foster is taking a couple of his smaller ones out there. The good thing is that this in the area of "crappie highway" from 2 years ago and while flagging the route I noticed that we were pushing this new road through within 100 yards of where Foster and I hit them good last Feb. at 6 1/2 miles. So far we have only fished in a 100 yard area so we will start testing the area good today. The bad news is that last year I went there and picked up 10 crappies in 5 minutes. WOW!!! Took 40 some people in there the next weekend and we staggered back that night with only 3. confused.gif Time will tell if this is a flash in the pan or the start of things starting to turn around.

Kelly -

Good news. My buddy and I are heading up tomorrow morning and hope to be fishing by 2pm. We are staying in one of Buddy's rentals but are definitely planning to be portable until we find fish. I sent you an e-mail last week wondering if you wanted to try to meet up to do some crappie hunting - let me know if you have an interest in connecting.

Brett

I was one of the guys that caught five on Monday. It all came in a brief span from 3:45 til 4:30, the vexilar lit up, missed a couple, caught two, did some hole hopping, then I caught 3 crappies bang bang bang. My buddy 30 yards away caught no crappies, only walleyes and perch. Then the crappies moved/shutdown. I thought that 'oh boy, if they bite at 4 PM, dusk should be nuts! No dice. It was tough fishing, windy and snowing, everytime I went to a different hole I had to scoop snow out, was almost to the point where I couldn't find my holes, there was so much snow drifting in.

Was fun seeing those slabs coming thru the ice!!! Just wish I'd have consumated the act on a few more of them!!

I hate to admit, Kelly took us out there on Sunday afternoon, my co-horts weren't game to go back - they were afraid of not finding there way back in the dark, it was quite a way past the last fishhouse. I'm still kicking myself.

Thanks Kelly!! See you the first weekend in March!!!

Talk to Buddy when you get there. Some of his houses have been doing OK but he loves portable fishermen. Besides portables will out easily outfish hard houses, even 20 feet away.

Blackjack, It really wasn't that far out there. We could still see other fishermen with the 10x50's. grin.gif You would have loved Foster plowing out there. He looked just like Patton heading across France in WW2 UNTIL he turned his GPS on and realized that I had put the last flag fight on top of one of his favorite places. grin.gifgrin.gif That poor truck just about stood on the point of the V-Plow it stopped so fast. shocked.gif

Haven't posted in a while.

Here's my 2 cents....The crappies are definitely starting to move back in and the bite is turning on.

I was up last week from 1/9-1/13 for my second time this year. First trip right after new years was a wash with nothing but walleyes caught for 3 days.

Last week was MUCH better. Between myself and a buddy(who came up for 2 days) we caught 23 crappies and too many walleyes to count (all immediately released) and we also kept 8 nice perch over 9".

Almost all the crappies were caught during the daylight hours from 9am-4pm (not the typical prime times) and all but one were caught on rattle reels. If we saw a fish on a vex and tried jigging it up to the lure they were either walleyes or spooked.

I'm heading up again tomorrow morning for a long weekend.

Hi Twitter, fished with you and Kelly 2 years ago.

Thanks for the Good news Kelly/Twitter! Nice to see some positivity!

My son and I(aka minnowscoop) will be up there for the day on Thursday from 8:00am to night. Maybe we'll see you at WW.

Going to the ice leaders tournament fri/sat.

kelly, i have never heard of you to give directions even to west winds haha ha grin.gif be up fri. am give me a call if you need anything, iam scared to ask buddy that question crazy.gif

If we get any major snow I want my houses on a little thicker ice then is out there. A few more cold nights and I'm dropping the plow and clamming right up. grin.gif

We punched the road in right past where you and Tigger left your block of wood on top of the slush pile 2 or 3 weeks ago. From the frozen tracks I can see why you thought you were going to do the old submarine routine. What were you thinking to try getting there 2 weeks ago????????? confused.gif That had to be real wet and deep.

Buddy was doing pretty good yesterday until he threw all the belts and the starter started make some really neat noises AND the clutch was messed up. Foster kept on plowing until he realized that his plow was not completly fastened to the truck. The same tightners that Tigger welded up. In any case we limped back out of there like 3 scolded puppies. crazy.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Sounds like the "general" area we did well in last year. We thought about hitting it a couple weeks ago but thought better of it. Sounds like it was a good choice based on the slush hole story you just told. blush.gif

My wife would not have been amused if I had found it. crazy.gif

so you did find my block of wood, you kind of like that mouse maze me and tigger did to get their, shocked.gif i got buddy some fresh iron for the lake smile.gif 1980 gmc 1 ton, iam trying to talk buddy into going lighter not heavyer haha. best part is that the truck already breaths on propane,see you friday.....

twitter, how do you rig rattle reels for crappies? What kind of hook do you put on the end? How do you keep the walleyes off? Have you ever tried using a tipup outside the house?

When we go back in March, northerns will be closed, was thinking of downsizing my hook setup on my rattle reels and maybe placing them higher, 3-4 feet up...

You got Buddy ANOTHER TRUCK!!!!!! smile.gif With the way he's been sinking them I was thinking more along the line of a kids plastic hot wheels, it'ld float. grin.gif Could be a good thing tho as when I talked to him last night he had another plan. We got pretty good ice, we got trucks still running, we're already past Rocky Point and Foster is going to drop a few houses there,,,,,,,,,,,,the Line is only 2 1/2 miles away!!!!!! cool.gif

Kelly,

I am comming up with my wife tomorrow and was planning on going out of hilmans road. Does that road go all the way out there or are you guys just off roading it to get all the way out there. I will be pulling my wheel shack with my 1/2 ton 4x4 and I have chains for my truck also, so do you think I will be able to get way out there and get away from the crowds? I am thinking I will try to find my craps out in the main basin of the lake. I'll be stopping in for bait and ice info when I get there and hope to see ya.

We have a better plan. Just drop the wife off at Hillman's and we'll take care of her. grin.gif Follow the directions at the top of this topic PLUS what I add now. You'll do fine.

4 customers leave the hard house behind and share 2 portables. Limited out and packed up by 4:30 this afternoon.

My Dad doesn't get a bite until 6:30 but has 7 crappies by 7:15 and comes home with 9.

3 customers try out the first rental house beyond 6 1/2 miles and go back to the house they will sleep in with 16.

I drop a house in the middle of nowhere, fish 45 minutes and have 7 crappies with at best 1 in 7 that appear on the Marcum biting.

We all shared one thing in commen. We were beyond 6 miles out and no one else was fishing within 1/4 mile. In the case of the 4 people and my Dad NOBODY was within 1 1/2 miles. (Dad went SW the 4 went NW, there was nobody between them and they were 2 miles apart)

The key is to spread out. Hillman's road extends out to within 1 3/4 miles from the Line. A huge area. The 2nd night at each place the catch drops by 90 to 95%. If some one has already fished there or someone is within 200 yards do not try there. There are no schools, only the hungry singles. When they are caught out only the fat and lazy ones are left. They will not bite. If you try to tease them they will leave. confused.gif

Do not crowd up.

Edit, It went so good today that at about 10:00 AM someone walked up that knew Tigger an asked where to go. I pointed at Tigger and Grud's block of wood across the lake and suggested that they try there. Nobody fished there all year, why not try it? I last talked to them at about 2:00 PM this afternoon and they had 10 at that time. They left the lake before me so I assume they limited. Once again, NO ONE fished within 1/4 mile of them all year.

About how far can a guy travel before losing sight of the fish house, assuming it's not foggy or snowing out? I don't have a GPS, and would be a little concerned about venturing out too far and getting lost. Are there roads that go way out which could be followed back to the fish house?

Hillman's road is plowed and flagged to about 7 1/2 miles out. One sharp 90 degree turn at 4 1/2 miles (the main road goes straight another 2 miles) Then another fork at 6 miles and then 2 roads heading West side by side 3/4's a mile apart. Plenty of room for all. grin.gif This morning I was the only house's beyond 5 miles. By tonight others were beyond me and when I stopped at Westwind tonight I heard that many more were heading that way. I would guess that by tomorrow night the houses will be to the end of our plowing and beyond.

Oh I see, the first two weekends in a row I can't leave town you guys find the fish, I suspose by time I get up to Red it will be "MAN, you shoulda been here last week" grin.gif

Jon we got to think positive man! I'll be up there later in the week next week....hopefully next week it will be..."man, I'm glad I got the heck outta dodge and got up here when the motherload went ballistic!". grin.gif

*head coming back down out of the clouds*.....okay, realistically, the chances of hitting the motherload on a feeding frenzy may not be quite there, yet, but fishing DOES seem to be improving week by week, and that's something to look forward to. laugh.gif

Not to rub it in Jon but the 4 guys were where you test fished for me last weekend. They had a blast! cool.gif How's work??? grin.gifgrin.gif

Quote:

: How's work???
grin.gifgrin.gif

Just freakin peachy, I'm trying to get out of this office and go slay a couple of 5" metro crappies then drive through traffic home. confused.giflaugh.gif

Quote:

Could be worse Jon!

You could be getting sung too!

Cory Frantzick

That will live forever in my memory. crazy.gifgrin.gif

Right under my signature but I warn you my phone skills as far as tact and diplomacy are all done for the year. Used up and gone, now I just yell. If you get Patsy she's still nice, a little frayed around the edges but still nice. smile.gif

Kelly that was me and my son that you pointed to grubs block of wood grin.gif. I guess I forgot to remind you who I was. I use to call myself minnowscoop on here. Now I just use my real name smirk.gif. Thanks for pointing us in the right direction. I've learned from past years that if Kelly says fish there don't ask questions just start fishin!! laugh.gif

Thanks Again!

You da man!

Ron

Quote:

Edit, It went so good today that at about 10:00 AM someone walked up that knew Tigger an asked where to go. I pointed at Tigger and Grud's block of wood across the lake and suggested that they try there. Nobody fished there all year, why not try it? I last talked to them at about 2:00 PM this afternoon and they had 10 at that time. They left the lake before me so I assume they limited. Once again, NO ONE fished within 1/4 mile of them all year

I put a hard house there,,,,only 7 crappies in 3 days. confused.gif It was definatly a portable or stand out side place.