• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

rattle reels

Bigbartguy

Does anyone find it odd that none of the sleepers on Red come w/ rattle reels? I'm using 3 different sleepers this year and none have them.

Do you guys usually bring your own? I don't see any other way to sleep with a line down

Hey Bigbart I didn't know this was the case! I'll be in a sleeper on Red in Mid February and I'm glad I saw this post! I'll have to invest in a couple of those. I don't see another way to do it either without staying up all night.

~piker

I bought a product called a Bite Buzzer. Its a little electric congraption you put on your rod and it beeps when you get a hit. It caught us 3 walters for us the last time I was up. $10 each and I got mine within a week of my order. You will have to search them on the web as we are not allowed to put up unauthorised links confused.gif When you search spell bite buzzer as one word.

Last year we rented a sleeper and they had a few rattle wheels in there for us. VERY nice sleeper houses - had a good time & caught fish!

piker - I would call your rental place and be sure. I know of 3 places that don't have them though.

sunnnj - I saw those at a Scheels in Des Moines!! Havent seen any locally though. I'm going back up this weekend and won't be able to wait. I'll be buying some cheapo 'clamp style' rattle reels tonight.

Rattle Reels are a blast but you don't get a lot of sleep. They seem to go off up there every 45 minutes or so on average for me (usually Walleyes). If you get a Crappie, wake everyone up and put your lines down. We have hit them hard at night sometimes. Another thought, if you can get different kinds, so they make different noises, you will save a lot of stumbling around trying to figure out who"s line is down. Even two different sounds spread right will help. Good Luck!

I've got six rattle rels in my wheel shack and have been outfished by a rattle reel many times. If they prefer the dead stick just set your jigging rod and give em what they want. I have caught many fish at night on red using rattles so if your rental doesn't provide them def. get some clamp on ones.

So how do you guys rig your rattle reels for crappies? Do you use one hook or a quick strike rig? I'm usually rigged for northerns, which I think would be too big for crappies.

I always assume that the rental houses won't have rattle reels, so I have a couple that are attached to a big clamp, you can usually find something to attach them to, and I always bring them with to Red.

I'm interested also - how does everyone rig rattle reels for crappies? I've never fished crappies w/ them before

Black dacron line on reel, then a swivel, then 3' 6lb fluorocarbon leader, then glow jig of choice. You may need a split shot on the dacron to get rig down. I like the dacron because it does'nt cut your hand and you can change to a quick stike rig if you want to fish northern.

I set mine up the same, but I use fly fishing line. I have never had it tangle up. It is real easy on the hands.

We had our best luck this weekend with 3ft of 6lb test fluorocarbon line with a #6 red gamakatsu hook tied to the braided line. 18-24 inches off the bottom seemed to be the best depth - set the hook quickly too.

In years past, we have always rented from Kelly P...we NEVER use rattlereels for a number of reasons....playing the fish, ease of use in the dark, etc....try this trick, it has worked for us many times....seldom lost a fish...

Bring your wire rod holders and set up your icebuster bobbers and bait as usual. Then, put the rod in the holder with the drag extremely light....when you hear the first click or see the rod head across the floor, pin the reel with your finger, set the hook, and then tighten the drag up!!!! Last year, we stayed two nights....constant walleye and crappie action..my ten year old would not go to sleep and kept my friend up the better part of two nights!!!! We even used a deadstick technique with the drag just tight enough to keep the line from dropping to the bottom...same effect....If you are squeamish about your poles (we never lost one after dozens and dozens of fish) put something heavy on the holder...I don't think they will fit down the hole with the holder in tow, but I'd hate to cause someone much grief....anybody else use this technique?????

I've used the same tecnique before but I use it for catfishing with big spinning reels, would work though on crappies, but I see rattle reels as less hassel and hand over hand is half the fun of it.

Hey Bigbart I checked today with the resort I'm using the sleeper out of (Morts) and they do come with rattle reels. So I should be set!

~piker