• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New auger break in methods. What's your experience?

get-the-net

Question

I just purchased a new Strikemaster Lazer Mag Express YEA!!! grin.gif and was wondering if any of you have a favorite (and proven) engine/transmission break in schedule? I know that my owners manual will give me the standard directions, but I wondered if you have any other suggestions or tips to start things out the right way and keep my auger in top condition. Also, can anyone explain the difference between regular 2 cycle oil and the Amsol that I keep hearing about here?

Thanks

8 answers to this question

Your first tank of gas you want a (heavy mix) to make sure the rings seat and do not lock in the piston. If you use the Strikemaster oil says a 40:1 mix that would be fine. If you use Amsoil DO NOT use it 100:1 on the first tank of gas. The 100:1 is the max mix you should use. Amsoil says use it at 80:1. If it is your first tank of gas I would use a 50 or 60:1 then move up to 80:1. Some people will say they used it 100:1 up front but the little extra oil can save you a big bill at the small motor shop down the road.

To answer your 2nd question about Amsoil, I bought a 8oz bottle that will make 6 gal of gas at 80:1 for $3.20

for around a dollor you can buy strikemaster oil one can= 1 gal of gas. So you would need 6 cans of Strikemaster oil at the cost of about $6-$7 It is half as much to use Amsoil. Pluse it sounds cool to tell people you use it......

In another post, somebody said you can get Amsoil at Napa. You might want to call ahead of time. Nothing worse than a wild goose chase, running around checking every store possible!

Check at Red Rooster Auto Parts; They carry most of the Amsoil line at the one in Bloomington. Good Luck! McGurk

I've been in the two stroke engine business all my life and I'm 50+. Here's a few pointers.

1. Do not mix your first tank heavy with oil. (to much oil can keep the heat in your piston from escaping through the cylinder wall which is the only place piston heat has to go)

2. Do not use synthetic oil for your first few tanks. (it's great oil after that but an engine will seat better with petroleum}

3. The biggest thing to concentrate on with two strokes is the warmup time. Make sure you let it warm up before you put a load on it and then run it like normal.

4. When you switch to synthetic make sure it has rust inhibiting additives or it may not make it through an extended (1 month or greater) idle period without damage. (synthetic does not naturally protect against rust)

5. Unless you are going to use it right away (within a month) I would not mix to much gas at a time. Gas is like lettuce, it breaks down and loses it's freshness over time.

Thanks for the great information. I think I'll start with strikemaster oil, and then switch to amsoil in a month or so. Is it recommended to put sea foam or stabil in with the first few tanks?

No...Sea Foam is a cleaner for gummed up engines and stabil is for storing over a long period.