• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice Fishing Reports

No, it is just a small derby for the cub scouts to get out and do some fishing. It's not the type of derby that is open to the public, just the Glyndon Cub Scouts....sorry.

That's a good idea though, maybe we should think about something like that for next year, like start our own eel pout festival grin.gif

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dahitman44

• eyehunter

• DEADhead

• fisherdog19

Little Detroit has between 14 and 16 inches of ice on it. It is probably one of the few lakes around here that could hold a derby. You'll just have to find a nice spot among the circus out there. It's pretty packed on the weekends...

Thanks for the reply and report Deadhead. Are there alot of houses out in front of Zorbaz?

not too many houses in front of zorbaz; the majority of them are off of washington ave. and to the west a little.

I was out on Little Detroit on Monday. Just past the crowds and a touch to the east. I only found 10 inches under the snow and slush. I won't be driving around that area until it get really cold. It was pretty spooky. As soon as I drilled the first whole the water came gushing up and by the time I left 3 hours later, a 20 yard circle of water and slush formed around the Portable. Be very careful where you venture. The good news is that I had my 4 year old with and she had a blast catching the small sunnies .

Thanks again Deadhead. I think we will probably go over to the west of there more towards Zorba's as to avoid the crowds and not to disturb anyone that may have a house out there.

Quote:

I was out on Little Detroit on Monday. Just past the crowds and a touch to the east.

Isn't that getting pretty close to the sand bar between Big and Little Detroit?? I wouldn't drive out there no matter how cold it gets.

No I was a long way from the sand bar. I was pretty much straight out from the crowd along the east edge of them. I was in 13 ft of water. There was a few houses past me yet and a few way across towards the sand bar. I guess all I was getting at was to be carefull. Where I was the ice was no way close to 14-16 inches,10 inches at most. And with this warm weather continuing for awhile the ice will not be getting any stronger.

I was around the same area you were fishing, maybe a little further west though, and had about 13" inches of clear ice. I didn't have any flooding though. I was only out for the afternoon, and it stunk. I marked a lot of fish and got them to check out my bait, but they were in a very negative biting mood. I had the spring bobber on and was throwing everything at them, shrimpos ratsos, ratfinkees, genz bugs, fat boys, mini blades... the only thing that I could hook up with any fish were the mini blades. I marked alot of fish, but they were not biting at all. Maybe someone out there had some better luck than I did.

Plus, as a bonus, my fool @$$ got my taurus stuck up at the marina where I was parked. Maybe one of you had a good laugh and saw my wife towing me out with the expedition.... oh well, all in a days work.

I was out on Lida today, mixed results. I caught 50-75 small panfish with 6-7 of them going seven inches or BETTER (CPR all). I drove my 1/2 ton GMC on 16+ inches of ice. I heard the crappies are biting on Lizzie... any reports?

Mike

I was out on Lizzie - North side of lake in the Ice House Village last Monday. Very slow. I marked a ton of fish - my camera showed mostly Sunnys a few Largies, less Pike and just a very few Crappie. Nothing came through susspended. Didn't see a Crappie hit my lures all day. Fished through sunset, no hot period at all. disappointing - in 18 feet.

It's kinda nice to have less traffic on the weekends as you need a 4-wheeler or snowmobile to get to your house. brought home a largemouth and 2 pike.

• 2 months later...

Took the sister and brother-in-law to Little Detroit today for their frist time ice fishing. Took a little searching but we found sunnies in 13 fow. They were suspended at all depths. Nothing major in size, a 7"er was the biggest of the day. Most all had black spots. one little slimer, about 6" long to start of the day. Nothing too exciting going on there, but I figured I'd pass along the info in case anyone was interested. I was just trying to put them onto a guaranteed bite for their first outing. It was successful and they had a great time.

Went ot to Liittle C. at 4:00 pm stayed til 8:00 and caught a dozen crappies. Pretty small. 2' of ice and people had been driving all the way to the north! It's nice...I'll still take the 4 wheeler.

Talked to some guys about tulibee fishing so I think I'll try that today on Pelican if I don't turn off at some other place first. Heading out at 5 am. C-ya out there! grin.gif

Scott -- I'll say it again -- day late $ short.

Tell 'em about what you saw yesterday. blush.gif

Melt -- I don't fish bass -- can you take a bass home this time of the year? R they closed or do they close?

Quote:

Scott -- I'll say it again -- day late $ short.

Tell 'em about what you saw yesterday.
blush.gif

Tried Pelican in 57' for tulibees. Marked a hole lot of something at 40' but caught zip. Was using heads off dead minnows and was told later I probably should have been using waxies .

Then hit Nelson and picked up some bluegills and crappies 2' under the ice in 12'. Also had a crappie come up to the bottom of the hole and look right at me .

Then came Little C.. Didn't stay long enough to catch anything cuz I had to run home quick and clean out my shorts after the muskrat came out the hole I was in .

All in all a pretty interesting day.