• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice Fishing Reports

Loren, I had 10" of ice on LD Sunday when I was drilling... I would imagine it is over a foot by now. Sallie had 6" of new ice on Monday morning. But that was about 50 from shore in about 5-10' of water. I would stay away from putting a permanent on there this weekend unless you're brave. I've only seen two portables out there so far...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dahitman44

• eyehunter

• DEADhead

• fisherdog19

BTW, a guy from work saw pickups on HoL today... I didn't realize the ice was that thick there already?

Quote:

BTW, a guy from work saw pickups on HoL today... I didn't realize the ice was that thick there already?

What is HoL?

(Edit)...Height of Land ?

Hey Hittman,

Have you been down to Lee yet? Was wondering what the ice was like down there. May have to make a trip this weekend to see how thick it is. Do you know if anybody has been down there yet?

If I get a chance I will check for you today. My big house is going to Big C on Saturday AM. You should join me oor go to Boyer, Tilde or Silver.

Lee has really sucked.

If I get a chance I will check for you today. My big house is going to Big C on Saturday AM. You should join me or go to Boyer, Tilde or Silver.

Lee has really sucked lately.

It has sucked, but I have heard that it goes in about a 5 year cycle so I am going to try it again early on and we'll see what happens. Maybe since it has been slow the past couple of years it will keep some people away and be nice and quiet out there.

Hitman, how has Tilde been for the wallys? Is it more of an evening bite? I was going to try tilde last year but never got around to it, thats the one right between the county lines, isn't it?

thanks

Dano --

Tilde/Stache is a very strange lake. About 3 massive Pike come out of there in spear houses. You can catch a copuple of 'eyes out of that lake but you must join the cirle. There is a bowl out there and that is the only place to fish on the whole lake.

There is no structure. It is a late night bite as well, like LaBelle. You have to hang around till like 11 p.m. Most of the houses out there are party houses and it gets a little noisy at times. Truck in and out when people run out of beer, which seems like every 20 minutes. Plus people come out to socialize as well.

Size is decent, but it is not hot and heavy. I don't plan on hitting it, but you never know. wink.gif

It is better than Lee, that lake has been a waste of time.

Hittman,

How did they do on Silver last year? I've heard that there are a lot of springs in that one, that's kind of why I've shyed away from it....you said earlier that you were 3/4 chicken, I'm probably 7/8.

That Tilde that you are talking about that sounds a lot like the lake that we used to call Marshall Lake. Is it just south of higway 10 on the Clay/Becker line?

speaking of Labelle, man that lake was dead last year,as far as fish anyway. Eyehunter, I think thats the one.

If that's the same lake, there are some nice fish in there. I caught a 33"er out of there about 13 years ago.

Marshall Lake is south of Audubon.

Are you talking about Knutson Lake or Stump/Sand?

Dano --

They got fish here and there on Silver last year, nothing major, but enough so you would keep going. Lee was more like no fish. One or two Crappies a night and they were small and one walleye every 6 trips. Ick.

Between you and me and the fence post I think Eyehunter is on the sause if he thinks the cycle will come back. wink.gif

The lake eyehunter maybe talking about, but definetly the one I'm talking about is east of hitterdahl, and is right on the county line. Silver? South of Hawley Silver? thought that lake was dead. any panfish worth keepen outa there?

going to get out veryy soon, maybe friday, but Sat. for sure.

Heard a report that someone had a truck out on Hieght of Land last week and put it through. Dumb A?*$%#@&*. There couldn't have been more than 10 inches.

I may be on the sauce once in a great while, but the 5 year cycle idea came from our very own Paul Roweller, and I believe he knows what he is talking about.

Hey Paul, I know you still keep an eye on this site, was wondering if your dad has gotten his spear house out yet on Lee and how the ice is out there?

Dano --

There is no such thing as panfish on that lake. I guess i caught one crappie when i was fishing for eyess in the summer. Never seen a sunfish, but I would guess they are in there.

I know there are a lot of perch, and that can be fuin for kids, but not for us mature adult types.

I've heard of guys catching some nice panfish on silver, on the north side just west of the access, out in front of those houses, but I have also heard that is also where the springs are (along the north side of the lake).

Checked my little lake down by Pelican Rapids on Wednesday. It only gained one inch from Sunday. There was nine inches. Kind of dissappointed, thought I'd be driving out there with the sub-zero nights. Wasn't going to kill myself pulling stuff half way accross the lake, so I came back towards DL and tried Meadow. There was four inches of ice. You can see the bottom real well in twenty feet of water. Moved up to twelve feet and saw quite a few fish. Very few seemed interested in biting. Caught one crappie, one bluegill, and one bass.

Just wondering if anyone has fished MeKenzie Lake before. About 8 years ago I said that I wanted to fish that lake, but have never had the chance to fish it since i am now in college at Montana State university. I will be coming back to the land of 10,000 lakes on the sixteenth and would love to make a trip up that way. Anyway, any help would be great. Take it easy and good luck!!

Got back from Selkirk Sunday night after chasing big greenbacks all weekend. It happened to be that Rick and the Hot Spot Outdoors crew was up filming on Saturday for the video that used to be called Hot Bite fishing. There were 8 walleyes between 8-11lbs caught on Saturday, and Sunday I got a 10.5 lber and my partner got an 8lb 10oz walleye. Was slow, but everyone in our group got one over 8lbs. Now I have to finish building my crankdown so I can fish around here some.

Deadhead, give me a call so we can get out one night this week over to the nigh crappie bit lake. Call me at work

• 2 weeks later...

My brother borrowed my cousin's four wheeler and we tried Pelican last night. There was nine inches of ice on the west end of the lake. One large pickup on the ice but he did stay close to shore. Still, kind of nuts. Caught three walleyes and one northern. Everything was pretty small though. Caught one 'eye on a plain hook and shiner; the other three came on a cicada and minnow head. It was just great to get out again.

• 2 weeks later...

First time back out in about three weeks, went to Sallie on Sunday. Fishing was pretty slow and the slush was terrible. Had between 10" and 11" of black ice where I was fishing and about 5 inches of slush and another foot of snow on top of it. What a pain in the butt to drag a sled out by hand...

It's not looking to good out there guys...

Dead --

Fishing is slow everywhere. I don't know what it is but I think it has a little to do with this goofy weather. If you get tired of pulling out the sled on Sallie, why don't you join me on Big C? It iss a lot more fun to ride on a sled -- pulling it sucks.

Hang in there.

I agree that fishing has been slow everywhere which means I don't feel bad to take a week off and take care of a new puppy. Hopefully by the time she is house broken, everything will be frozen so I can walk on the ice without 5 inches of slush.

Hey Peter "fisherdog",

Can you give me a current ice report on Little Detroit? As I mentioned before, we are planning on having a fishing derby for the cub scouts and are planning on having it on Little DL the 14th of Jan. We will only have about 40 or so kids there along with some parents, just want to make sure the ice is thick enough to hold that many people in one area. We plan on being just out from Zorbaz or somewhere in that general area so that we don't disturb anybody else.

Any info you can give me is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Part-time Eyehunter --

Make sure you send me info so I can be there. Is this something you are trying to make money on? Should it be in the paper? I know a guy that might help you out. He thinks he is God's gift to fishing but you take the good with the bad.