• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone ever fish the south fork crow river near Mayer and Watertown in Carver County?? I've driven past it a number times but have yet to get in there with the fishing gear. What's in there - carp, suckers, smallies?? Thanks for any info.

I fish the crow quite a bit in the summer & fall. It can be great fishing, but it really depends on the bottom. I haven't had great luck with smallmouth but I fish in sandy areas, lots of pike and cats. There are areas where the river runs shallow not so good for fishing. I'm afraid that this time of the year the fish have left most of the river for lakes and pools, but it's definitely worth a shot in the spring.

• 3 months later...

never really fished the crow early season for cats, T-water just wondering when you can start to pick up some fish down there

I might be the wrong guy to ask, but I'd guess that you could find them in some holes and slower moving water. I know they don't go dormant but they do slow down in the winter. Also might want to look into some adjoining lakes.

Does anyone have a more definitive idea???

Hey, guys i've always sat and picked up what everyone is chatting about, but never really replied, till now.. I fish the crow between watertown and delano. not so much in the park areas ever, i head in the sticks for a little back country shore fishin for dem cats. I also learned where the deepest holes are in the crow river also, and where you'll find your walleyes year round and larger cats 10+ range.. But the one thing i love about the crow is that it's small easy to fish and the structure is so easy. I live in waconia, and fish the crow all the time.. i was actually surprised to see OTHER crow fans out there.. I really hope to run into a few of you some time..

Welcome! Yeah there are few of us, that might increase as the river quality improves. I'm not real into the cats but I do catch them jiggin in holes every once in a while. I've only fished the north fork but looking to explore more, would reallly like to find some smallmouth areas, looks like Rockford might be good but it gets real silty past the town. Good to hear there are other bushwhackers out there.

Hey catman! It's nice to see a fellow catman fishing the crow. Don't want too many though! grin.gif

I live in Waconia as well and fish the crow quite a bit in the summer. Like you, I enjoy getting "off-the-beaten-path" and I try to fish few new holes every summer.

I am already getting my catbag organized and I'm ready to through it over my shoulder and head down the bank.

Let me know if you'd like to "hook-up" and catch a few this summer.

Welcome to FM catman. You will find some great info here. I have never fished the Crow, but would have to add it to my must fish soon waters. I fish for cats on my local river (Zumbro). They do not get too big down here, but I find them in the deep slow moving pools most of the summer, or try some slow water above some fast riffles. After dark they seem to move to shallow flats closer to shore. Again, welcome.

Well, it's sunday afternoon. And i have noticed a few people have been fishing the bigger rivers. So i think i might have to drive over to the crow VERY soon to check for open water. I'm thinking about getting some worms and heading over to the crow (if it's open soon) to play around with whatever i catch, (you know to get the blood flowing).

I know there's alot of rough fish, but it's not about what you catch (if anything) it's about just appreciating what your doing there. Redford i hear has GREAT smallmouth action i hear from a few guys at Cabin Fever, but never fished it yet. I'd love to meet-up somtime, though i can usually only get away on the weekend evening from like 7:30pm and on.. I work duriing the week and love spending time with my 7month old and my wife, but when they go to bed. It's perfect to get out and fish at night.. I prefer night fishing anyways..

Catmanclark, Welcome to the forum! I drove past the dam in hutch yesterday. Its wide open and looking good. I haven't fished there early season but does anybody get channels down there this time of year?

To think I was out in the sun wearing a flannel shirt looking for agates yesterday morning and now this.....sheeesh! crazy.gif

What's a Redford?

We had good luck on cats late last week on the Mississippi, so once it warms up a little bit again, I'd give it a shot. Early season channel cats can give you a lot of activity.

Catman. After you mentioned your newborn, I had a suspicion who you might be so I looked at your profile and my suspicions were right, unless there are two Jasons with newborns. This is Aaron (White Ford Explorer).

I hadn't seen you since you caught that hog that night on the Crow. Hope things are going well with you, your wife, and your new addition.

Hope to see you on the Crow this summer!

Aaron

Whats the best bait for early season channels on the river?

I fish the crow in hutch spring till fall. I have never started this early though. I would like to give it a try when it gets up to 45 or so.

I can't speak specifically for the Crow, but I fish channels in the Mississippi mainly. Early, I have had luck with fatheads. I'll impale a whole one on a hook and add a head or two as well for some juices. Also, a hunk of cutbait (sucker, shiner) works well, too. But don't go too big early in the season. They bite pretty passively when the water is cool. Once it warms up, I'll use much bigger hunks of cut bait.

Hey Ralph!

I just have to say, that your avatar cracks me up! Everytime I see it I can't help but smile.

Cory Frantzick

I was really hoping to get out and fish when it was so warm out, but now that it's winter again.. i guess all i can do is get my bug gear and head lamps and weights and circle hooks ready (again). My daughter, wife and I, have been passing around the flu, so i've not really been doing much about fishing, but It's nice to know the water is opening up. It's giving me false hope of doing some shore fishing, with foot heaters in my winter boots..

Sorry, isn't there a town called Redford, may be i got the name wrong.. I also heard where the Crow splits (North and South) there's good Smallie fishing..

Have a good one..

You know, i've fished the Miss this year from a boat, right in Downtown St Paul, and there's a 50ft hole that we've fished, and my brother pulled out a few 30+ and one giant monster Flathead. I've got two Photo's to share if i can just figure out how to post them...

I'm computer stupid..

Howdy Neighbor,

I was actually thinking to myself if we were going to bump into each other this year. Well, when things get nicer out i'll probably be in my waders in Waconia Bay for the Crappies, and then i'll hit them Cats hard on the Crow and there's a few nice spots i've heard about on the Minnesota.. So we'll have keep in touch..

Cat man, try checking out our photo sharing section by clicking here for some tips.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB79&Number=605617&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

We could also help get them up for you if you e-mail them to me or Ralph. My e-mail is [email protected]

I will be catfishing on the crow next week, i will let you guys know how i do.

• 2 weeks later...

Let us know how you did, i really have never fished the crow where there's snow on the ground. What you planning on using for bait..

I went out and got skunked. I dont know if I have ever got skunked on the river before. I guess it what I was asking for by going fishing in March. I used fathads, both alive and cut up. I did see a guy down there snagging cats on purpose. By the way he was fishing and his complete lack of fishing ability and knowlege, I did not even tell him that what he was doing is wrong and illegal. Thats my only problem with rivers, a complete dork has just as much right to be there as I do. Oh well, next time i will avoid his kind. frindly

The other day was at crow with slip sinker and crawler, had some success caught well over 200 plus cats thier this witer from december to March 2-15lbs and thats only fishing in Hutch anybody willing to hook up and fish in hutch give me a call for cats, or eyes when the season opens i would liek to get to know the cats on other parts of the river ill give some hutch info for some info by other locals drop me a line at [email protected]

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, i've heard so many stories about people catching cats everywhere. And the best time for me to get out is in the evening.. So has ANYONE went to the crow for an evening bite or night bite? i do know there feeding pretty hard now is what i hear. Let me know guys..

I had been going out a few times right before dark untill alittle after. The cats were biting. I would usually break off after dark and quit.

Just to let you know i headed out friday night in the rain and wind on the south fork just past watertown and in watertown also from like 9:00-12:30 and caught a few cat's even in the cold rainy weather. I used, chiken liver (in pantyhose) and bullheads with there bellies sliced open and caught one around 10-12+ lbs. the larger cat's do love the liver and bullheads.. i'll be out again next weekend at night..

Aaron,

I'll be down there around 8:30-9:00, or after i put my daughter to bed for the night. We could possibly meet at the park area.. See ya then..