• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishin report for Lake Iwanttobethere..

Bobby Bass

Bobby, Bobby, Bobby, I can't believe to forgot to metion M & M! shocked.gif

And aren't Bud and Barney residents too? And who's the pizza launcher again?

That's just people places and things from the first 45 pages of Lake Iwanttobethere still another 80+ pages to go grin.gif

Here is more places and people for Lake Iwantobethere

Loon Poop Lake-nearby lake

Peatmoss-resident of Loon Poop Lake

Mindy and Mandy-Lake Iwanttobethere's Hooter girls

Brandy - cousin to Mindy and Mandy

Uncle Gus- resident

Mister Big- Bobby Bass's mystery and dream bass

Stump Bay- home of Mister Big

Puddle Humper- Bobby Bass's boat.

Candy- sister of Mindy and Mandy who lives in the big city

The Inn- dinner featuring Jet Ski delivery

Town Hall- a long trailer that serves as the Town Hall and also a fishing house

T's Bait shop- located 20 miles from the lake

Big Jim- logger

Skinny- retired logger

Chuck-neighbor to Bobby Bass, childhood friend and a reason Bobby gets into half of his trouble

Earl- local fishing guide

Dug- Bobby Bass's son and owner of Dug's

Masterbaiters Bait shop- Vicki is the owner of the dream bait shop

Amy's Bakery and Deli- featuring the loose meat sandwich

Mystery Creek- home of the smelt run

The Lodge- Local Lake Iwantobethere social club, members only, unless you are buying.

Del's Pizza and Sub shop- son of Bobby Bass and features the pizza cannon.

Sadie and Lady- two old dogs of Bobby Bass that live with his daughter in the city

Barney- Bobby's daughter's fishing dog, well know for his fishing

Bud- Bobby's daughter's hunting dog, well know for his hunting

General Store- everything and anything

Big Earl- owner of the general store

Junior- Big Earl's son

Elmer- neighbor to Bobby Bass and an old coot- if Bobby has a mentor it's Elmer

Mike- owner of the junk Yard

Mr.Thompson-resident

Weird Willie- owner of the school of grass carp

Walter- resident and fishing lure carver

Old Man Peabody's- a motel-laundromat-auto shop

Old Goose- a big old goose that returns to the shores of the lake and Bud's foe

Root Beer Island- home to Mindy and Mandy

Old Man Iverson-resident and inventor

Jerry- Bobby Bass friend and visitor to Lake Iwanttobethere

Jason- new resident to the Lake

And

Bobby Bass, caretaker for Lake Iwantobethere and part time building inspector.

There are of course more places and things but this should help you with some of the stories. I am sure there are many more interesting places and people to be written about here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Preparing to do battle here. Have been spending the morning gathering gear to do battle this evening. Yesterday my daughter and I were out doing an inspection on one of the cabins here at Lake Iwanttobethere when we ran into a little trouble. My daughter was out near the front of the cabin when I heard her yelling and then heard a loud splash. Coming around the front of the cabin I see my daughter off the end of the dock treading water and hearing her yell " behind you, behind you" I turn just in time to see a cloud of yellow jackets heading my way. I didn't need any time to think I was down the hill off the dock and into the water before the 2nd sting. The first one nailed me right on the forearm and I was already thinking revenge before I got wet.

So today I have been searching hi and low for my bee hive gear which I seem to have misplaced. The thought of asking Hammering Hank for his fencing outfit has crossed my mind but I said I would not say anything to anyone about that. I have already gotten a can of industrial size spray to go after the nest with. After the buzzing by the hornets we worked our way down and around the cabin and came out of the water. Me being like most 53 year olds going on 10 made my way back to the front of the cabin to get a closer look. Making my daughter watch my back so none could sneak up on me ( of course no one was there to watch her back but she can run faster) I spotted the nest hanging under the deck. A big one, this is as large as a cantaloupe. I eased my way back out and decide to fight another day.

Talking to Chuck last night while holding a cold beer to my arm he said he would help me out, I told him that would be OK going to have the daughter share this experience with me. Last time Chuck helped he had this great idea of using a bic lighter and a can of hairspray as a blow torch. Worked great till the tree caught on fire and then he dropped the can of hairspray. Water was pretty cold that day to as I remember. Guess I'll have to go into town and get a bug net, just way to many to spray and run. Will let you know what happens...... Replace the fan on my computer at the cabin also. So quiet in here now. I always thought it was the wind in the trees making all that noise.. From Lake Iwanttobethere

thank you bobby for includeing me in the list. althoughh it does take me a bit of time to get up a good post for the lake. i am honered to be on the list. i have been thinking about how i was introduced into boating on the lake. it to started out on sylvia/twin bay. having spent all my summers there, from as long as i can remember. some of my first expierences were from behind the pontoon. on a homemade surf board. that was pulled behind. i also remember that after coctail hour some of the adults showing off on this surf board with ladders &chairs. and how they had mastered the use of it. hehehe very funny on how brave the guys got after some liquor encoragement. funny also on how no-one ever got hurt. i do remember the first time i got to drive the pontoon. went across the lake with dad behind me sayin i was driving about as straight as a cows tail in the summer. funny how you think about stuff like that. then one day dad brought home an old wooden duck boat he traded for some work he had done for a customer. it was a ten or twelve footer all wood and he had won an evenrude folding four horse. motor from a sales promotion. from the paul bunyan company. and we used it on our own pontoon that we owned as a familly and used often on minnetonka. but anyways we spent many hours on this old duck boat sealing up the corners and getting it water worthy. we painted it fire engine red, and put many road runner stickers and bandaid stickers on it and i even took the bell off of my old peddle fire engine i had gotten for christmas. and screwed it onto the front of the boat with a string that ran down the side so the operator of the watercraft could ring it. we called it the "the zoomer". i probably had as many hours behind the oars on this fine and dandy water craft as i spent in front of that folding four. asd i am tellin ya. i was the king of this boat and king of the water when ever i in it. i remember the maiden voyage of it after all the work was done. we loaded it into the back of the pick-up truck. hauled it down to six-miile creek that led into lake minnetonka. put the four horse onit and eased it into the water. i think i was about ten years old. dad gave the four a few tuggs. turned it around backwards. backed us up at low throttle. pointed us down the creek. spun the motor back frontwards, and pulled the throttle lever to full on and off we went,top speed i am sure was about 50 mph. remember i was ten. and i am sure now that we were cruising about 6 or 7 mph down the creek. heheheh funny how you think about things now. welll like i said when were in that boat. we were the kings of the sea. it was an earned privelage to have that boat put in the water. as i think about the countless hours spent during the hot summer months pullin weeds in the family garden. or doing the trimming around the many flower gardens my mother had had. and remember then that we used hand clippers that didnt have two cycles on them and a string that whipped them off. it seemed we worked way harder for our meeger allowances then, than kids have to today. funny how ya remember things. i never grew out of my love for water. and for fishing. my dad built a fishhouse one summer. it was a small very heavy 4x8 we would go out on the local lakes drill holes with that darned dull spoon auger. took forever. but i guess it made you more apprieciate the time you spent out icefishing. then one day dad brought this old contraption. it was a home made 12volt power auger. had a six or seven inch blade in it and was made from an old maytag transmission and a starter motor from an old chevy. i think it weighed about 30 pounds. and thru fresh ice was the bomb but for reopening i remember the cussin and skun up limbs from it bucking all the way thru the ice. i also remember dad seemed to always have a small bottle of mogan david wine. and he would give me a pull off of it every now and then not enuff to hurt me or anything but it was one of those earned privelages. funny how you remember things. welll like i said i having grown up around water. still think that is why i get my call to it. i dont recall where "the zoomer" ever ended up. but i am sure that by now it has been long ago burned up in someones bon fire. welll as i grew older and got my drivers liscense. i started to tow dads boat to the lake with my buddies and would spend many summer days fishing and sneeking a few beers along as well. never got into much trouble. didnt dare risk it being from a small town back then you could not get away with anything,as every knew who you were. and word would soon get back to your folks. yup i guess that is why i grew up the way i did. my family had always ran the business thatmy grandpa started. cept he got his start grinding feed for farmers and sellin them the things they needed to run the farm later on sellin them tires,batteries, and even later, tvs and appliances. i have been told that grandpa would say"if i dont have it you dont need it" hehehe likei nave said before he passed before i knew him but i was raised with lots of his reasonings. welll i supose i have rambled enuff. i feel the call to water and think i am gonna take my own boat to water today. it however aint much set up for fishing. and my dad tells me if it doesnt have a motor it aint really a boat. but he is kind of proud at the work i have done to it, as it was a pretty shabby looking water craft when i got it just over a year ago. she is an eighteen foot catamaran appropriatly called "knot a clew" has a huge sail onit. the number is 5445 and has lots of color. so if ya see me out there on lake iwanttobethere, give me a wave. heck maybe i can convince mindy and mandy to come out with me for a sail or two. as there is plenty of sunning room on the trampoline. and the more color the better. bobby i wish you the best. and keep us up to date on jasons progress. i do hope that there other sailboats out on the lake but if not no biggie. i dont mind being the first and maybe,who knows, we can get a yacht club goin. nothing fancy. no dress codes. but sailing is boating and boating has to be done on a lake and maybe just maybe lake iwanttobethere. is ready for some more quiet watercraft. see you on the water. ... paul

Paul gets me thinking of my youth here on Lake Iwanttobethere and of course boat building. Can't live on a lake or spend any time near water with out building a boat or two or three. Some float some sink but all of them just make you better. I had more of my share of boat adventures. I guess looking back you would have to call them rafts more then boats cuz I guess it needs sides to be called a boat. When I was in high school I really got into building boats, My junior year we made a cedar strip canoe, After the jig was built it was no big deal to figure out how to make the 2nd one. That first one took the whole school year to build. When I was a senior we turned the wood shop into a boat building shop. We could now turn out a canoe in about two weeks and we built dozens of them. Instead of one person working on one canoe we had 20 working on one canoe. That got kind of old for me after a while that is when my attention turn to making speed boats.. We could make a little pumpkin seed out of a sheet of 4x8 plywood. Hang a 10 hp on the transom and she would fly. Of course our project boat was for Mickey. Mickey was all of 5 foot tall and maybe 125# he was a Red Buttons look a like. We built his boat and tried it out in Lake Iwanttobethere. Worked slick and it was quick..

A friend of Mine named Kevin decide that he didn't want a canoe but wanted a pumpkin seed to. We had to make some adjustments as Kevin was 6 foot 4 and weighed in at around 285 We told him that no way was this going to work. Kevin being a motor head decide that all that was needed was more power. He had a 40 hp and we made the transom to accept the bigger motor. Launch day came and she looked like a dream all shinny and jet black. The whole class was there as we took the boat off the trailer and lowered it into the calm waters. Next we added the motor to the transom and watched the transom slip to with in inch of the surface. Kevin sat in the boat and she sank to the sandy bottom. Kevin just sitting there holding the steering wheel just above the water. Back to the drawing board, actual back to a couple of saw horses, We set the boat on top of the sawhorses in the water and when Kevin sat in it the second time the boat, barely above water stayed dry.

We tried to convince Kevin that Mickey should give it a try but Kevin was firm in that he had built it so he should drive it. Well we pulled the rope and the motor roared into life. Kevin slammed the throttle forward and with a rooster tail of water Kevin and the jet black boat flew off the sawhorses and out onto the water of the bay. You could not see Kevin as better then half the boat seemed to be below the water. You could see the bow and the rooster tail of water. Mickey gave chase in his boat and the rest of us climbed into the pontoon and tried to keep Kevin in sight. Around and around the bay he went, we could hear him yelling and just the top off his head and his hand waving at us. As he came flying by we heard the 40 hp spit and then a big wave as the engine died and the little black boat began to settle in the water, Next a steam cloud and then we saw Kevin start to appear from the water. Then just Kevin treading water as the boat just sank under him into the depths of Lake Iwanttobethere..

We got to Kevin as he floated on the surface holding the steering wheel and nothing else. He just looked up at us in the pontoon and said "She's gone boy's she's gone, but what a ride eh!" We arrived back at shore and we all helped put Mickey's boat back into the back of his pick up. Kevin came over and patted it on the side and walked away. I caught up to him and asked now what? Kevin replied " I'm going to take up auto shop, they don't sink".. I'll be looking for Paul and his sail out here on Lake Iwantobethere.

Well I suppose you are waiting to hear about the hornets nest..Well nothing happening yet, Still waiting for the owner to get back to me on what she wants done.. So Last day of the BBQ week and what a week it was, Don't think I have eaten this well for the whole week for free since last years county fair. Today was judging day and I'll tell ya they went all out. The park was a fair ground and just a feast for the nose and of course the belly. A fair day with a few clouds and that kept the smell of BBQ close to the ground. Had a hard time choosing between Elmers Ribs and Chucks plank trout. But in the end I had to go with the trout as our first prize winner even though it is not truly a BBQ it was cooked with an open fire. I don't know if you have ever had planked trout but here is how Chuck makes it. He starts of with a nice Maple fire and gets it down to a large bed of coals. Then he takes lake trout that he has split into two halves. He has old darken planks that he has driven maybe a hundred 16 penny nails into. He then slaps the trout side on to the plank and the nails hold it on. He then places the planks on edge at the edge of the fire and brushed them with seasoning and butter. He lets them blacken and when the time is right he removes the planks and peels the trout of the nails. Very Tasty.. Along with corn on the cob that is tossed and cooked right on the coals. If you add some of Elmers Spuds that are slit open and stuffed with butter and sweet onions and roasted on the BBQ you have a meal you won't soon forget.

A great day, to be outside, Balloons and flags flapping in the light breeze, the smell of BBQ baked goods from Amy's and of course the local church has their booth with brownies and pies and cakes o my! Not one but two beer tents, one on each end of the park. Mindy and Mandy were the servers at the south tent and were dressed as October fest bar maids. That tent seem to be a might busier then the other one. I also think I saw Nytelyter there but I am not sure, a big guy wearing one them sailing / yachting get ups complete with the hat, I thought I heard someone refer to him as "Captain" Of course Elmer and Chuck were there, as a matter of fact their BBQ's and fire pit were right next to each other. Elmer decked out in his bright red apron and Chuck with his fire department pants and suspenders with his hat on backwards. Dug had an interesting BBQ as he had a long, I think it was two hot water tanks welded together. He sent hot wings through it and they came out the other side in just a few minutes. Nothing real tasty but it sure was quick.

Well a little after 7 here now and the park is pretty much empty. Hammering Hank is down there running his ridding tractor with the leaf catcher on it picking up litter. Bunch of gulls are moving across the park like British soldiers picking at anything that looks like it can be eaten. By dark it should look pretty well clean. I see some darks clouds rolling in across the lake, with luck maybe will get some rain tonight. Getting pretty brown. Air is kind of heavy to as I can hear the racing sounds of the county speedway and that is a good fifteen miles away. Well I'm going to take a nap here at the Lodge, I am so full there is no way that I am going to be able to walk back to the cabin for awhile. Besides Elmer might be waiting for me with them tongs of his, he did finish in 2nd place. From Lake Iwanttobethere

me? at a bbq? welll could be i was sizeing up the competition. i do a mean slo cooked brisket. some say better than that famous guy with the name of dave. hehehehe

It's certainly another scorcher again today at Lake Iwanttobethere. Checked the temp and it was reading 95 degrees IN THE SHADE. Made a few phone calls over the weekend and have most of the items taken care of on the inspection list.

Big Jim and Skinny came over to take care of the tree in the driveway. Jim said that he'd do it for nothing but Skinny charged a hundred bucks for his "supervising fee". I felt that was certainly worth it knowing how a supervisor has to make ends meet. I mean Skinny can't afford anything from Masterbaiters if he don't collect his fees now does he?

Mark the mailman stopped by as well today and delivered the first mail to our new place. He did comment on the milk crate and said that it was certainly an interesting contraption, he recommended picking up a new "metal" mailbox down at Big Earls to which I certainly complied. Mark even helped install it for me which is great since I am not very handy.

I did have a question though about the color of the cabin. I can certainly see why you would think that it was moss growing on the cabin but after speaking to Elmer, he said Grandpa used to open the skylight and shoot ducks right from bed. So with that in mind I would have to change the color of the house from Moss Green to "Duckblind".

I am wondering if anyone knows how to Witch for water. I got the roof fixed and the tub is down and for the time being I have a pump attached to the house from an artesian well down by the lake. I am hoping this is up to code because this is the purist and coldest water I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. If not I will need someone to dig a well for me and I don't know how high the water table is up on the bluff.

Harold came over and made the necessary adjustments to my place for electricity. The wife went up and hugged him and gave him a smooch on the cheek because now she gets air conditioning. Well ol' Harold turned about 3 shades of red and then rapidly left. I never did get a bill from him but I assume it will be tacked on the first months electric bill. Also guessing since I saw Harold down at the pub, there may be a few rumors floating around about the "kissing wife on the bluff". Guess this will be the true test of what kind of rumor mill we have up here will be.

From Lookout Bluff at Lake Iwanttobethere.....

Had the town meeting at Elmers last night, he had a pan of his ribs left over from BBQ Sunday and I brought over a case of Hamm's that I had stashed away and we are ok now with his 2nd place finish. As long as he had pretty much everyone over that sits in the town council we just talked away as we wiped sauce from our face and sipped on frosty Hamms. I summited the inspection sheet from Jason and it was approved, Also the work that has already been completed was also approved so Jason if you are reading this you should be getting your letter here in the mail soon and also new sticker for your fire sign. Welcome to the neighborhood. Of course I will have to write the letter so it may take awhile, it is merely a formality.

The temporary permit was issued to the Lodge for the digging of holes in the park for the Loggers Days tree climbing poles, That was approved and should be in by Friday. Also beer permits and a bunch of paper work was done with. Of course most of that is just changing the dates on last years permits and running them through the copy machine. No sense in spending all that time writing new permits and wasting paper. Here at Lake Iwanttobethere we pride ourselves with our streamline government.

Well it never did rain, We sat on the deck at the Lodge and watched thunderstorms just pound the waters of Lake Iwanttobethere but not a drop fell on land. Things are looking pretty dry. Have to go out and water the apple trees every couple of days because no way can I survive a Vikings football season with out my apple pie on a Sunday afternoon. Twins are still winning and we replace the coat hanger on the Lodge's TV so we can have the games on. With Jason moving into town the membership committee is going to see if someone wants to sponsor him into the Lodge. With the new membership fee we might be able to afford a outside TV antenna. We had talked about raising the price of beer but that was quickly voted down as it was noted the Twins winning might be nothing more then a flash in the pan but the price of beer is forever.

Waiting on a delivery here from my granddaughter. She has been catching frogs out of her dads garden. I am paying a dime apiece. Going to bring me a doz. this afternoon and I will take them out fishing this evening. Of course she just thinks I am going to take them out to release them and I will be doing that. Hopefully Mr. Big will do a prisoner exchange and I will have him to show off...

Skinny was in the Lodge last night and paid his bar tab off, that was something I thought I would never see. Now we can actually add Brandy to his Brandy waters. Well I had better get some work done around here have some painting to do and that is always a good way to make sure it rains. If that does not work then I can always seal coat the driveway or just go fishing. From Lake Iwanttobethere (4840)

I was taking some time this morning admiring the sunrise off the bluff looking out over the lake and I couldn't help but smile. Taking in a deep breath I was able to detect a hint of campfire smoke from someones yard. There is a big oak tree right on the end of the bluff that is in full swing and a huge bald eagle has decided to make a nest up there. I watched ever so silently as this momma eagle swooped down to the lake just off the end of my new dock and grabbed a smaller fish. I'm assuming that the young back in the nest were going to be eating well here in just a few seconds. Should be interesting to see how many of them come out of that nest. I don't know much about eagles but I do know that their majestic flight almost puts me in a trance.

Glad to hear that there is talk about sponsoring me into the lodge! I'm sure that we could work something out for a new antenna and hopefully we can get it installed before the world series this year. If that happens, we could count on some serious partying during the games. Perhaps with the money made on hot wings, we could get a new big screen TV.

The wife is settling in pretty well to our new cabin on the lake. She was trying to get the kithen in order and found some more surprises in one of the cupboards. With a dishrag in hand, she was trying to wipe down the shelving and came upon some more chipmunks. These were just babies so she scooped them up and brought them outside and placed them next to the oak tree out of sight from the eagle. Mamma chipmunk was pleasantly surprised as her den with a summer's storage of nuts was only about 3 feet from there.

Must head down to the country club for our meeting. On the agenda today is the selection of the new beer cart girl, new members and possible renovations to our screened in porch area for the cigar smokers.

From Lookout Bluff at Lake Iwanttobethere....

Quote:

4840?
confused.gif

maybe 2 cases of beer in 4 hours with 0 trips to the bathroom?

Number of unsuccessful casts for Mr. Big?

New method of measurements for the beer cart girl auditions?

Number of nails fallen of the roof from Hanks last shingling job?

Acres of Lake Iwanttobethere?

Pull tabs pulled last weekend at the You Bet'em Casino?

(4840) if you are wondering that is a reference point for this entry here at Lake Iwanttobethere. It is the number of visits at the time of the post. Was voted in at the town meeting last night as some town keep minutes at their meetings.

Just a few more jottings here, I see Jason you got mail. By the way when Mark was helping you install your mailbox did he mention that all summer mail is delivered to the mail box on your dock? Might be awhile before you see anything in that new roadside mailbox.

World Series? Vikings already start their pre season August 11th hope to have something up on the roof before then. And what kind of big screen TV are you talking about? We have the big screen in the lodge already. It is 6 25" TV's stacked three wide and two high. Dug has it wired so we can watch six games at once. From Lake Iwantobethere (4853)

Bobby,

As far as the big screen is concerned, I was thinking of a 101 inch projection tv for the main game on the opposite end of the lodge. This way the majority can watch the main game and we can always swivel around and check the scores from the other games at the same time.

Mark didn't mention anything about the mailbox on the end of the dock but then again I have not installed one as of yet so I guess that will be on the 2do list. Man that list is almost as big as the Hunny do list but so far it seems that I am able to at least keep the list from expanding too much.

Well here we go again, temps to be into the 90's again this weekend. I don't know if I can handle two weeks of summer! Loggers Days this weekend, with the heat we have ordered more beer for the tents and we are even thinking of adding a 3rd tent. Mindy and Mandy have expressed interest in having a tent for their root beer. With the expected heat it would be good to have something for the young ones. Logs for the logging rolling contest are in the bay and the logs for the chain saw and axe contests are stacked in the park. Already a few camping spots are filled with visitors. Should be a fun weekend for everyone. Mr. Jensen ice house is taking a big hit this summer as he has already gone through about a third of the ice that he cut out of Lake Iwanttobethere. With hot weather like this it will be half gone before the weekend is over.

I did get out fishing the other night. My grand daughter brought me over a doz. frogs and I headed out to visit Mr. Big's lair. No sooner then I pulled into the bay when I saw a big swirl and then splash as I had driven right up on top of Mr. Big. No matter what I threw he would not take any of my offerings. The frogs were gone in quick order as his smaller Bass relatives sucked them down almost as soon as they hit the water. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed catching the smaller fish but I never seem to have any luck with Mr. Big. That end of the lake was nice and calm and smooth as glass. I was able to sight fish and just look for a swirl and then drop a frog in to the ring. After a couple of hours I had landed over 20 fish and decided that I would head out before the skeeters got bad. I had already donated some flesh to the fly's. Just as I was getting into my own bay the lightning started and some dark clouds were rolling across the sky towards me. I settled into my swing and waiting for a good thunderstorm which did not happen as the clouds rolled off to the south and just a few sprinkles fell. Need some water here, just to dry and now it's going to get hot again.

Down at the Lodge we having been putting three ice cubes in the glass instead of two. They melt to fast otherwise. The frosty beer mugs are being used quicker then we can frost them. Even been getting some business during the day as the Twins have had some afternoon games. There were some Chicago visitors in yesterday who left in a huff. Mumbling something about getting lucky and they go on vacation and their team falls apart. Jason I did mention about that big screen TV to a few of the locals and they are happy with what we have now. We did just upgrade last year to color. I think you need to come over to the Lodge and see how we are set up, I don't think you remember to much since you were under the weather a tad after your first visit. We don't have a game room. Who has time to play games. Were to old for pool and pinball, we did have an air hockey table till Hammering Hank got his nose broke. We just play cards from time to time, watch some TV and look out the big picture window at the boat landing. A lot of free entertainment right there. Just yesterday watched a guy and his wife back their rig down except he put the right side tire up on the dock and kind of flipped the whole rig on it's side as he backed in. Can't see that on TV Well going to go take a walk in the woods and see if I can't find me a few salamanders, see if Mr. Big will go for them. From Lake Iwanttobethere (4909)

Bobby, you ever think Mr. Big knows what your boat looks like. I think he's taunting you.

I'm sure he does Dan, but I know right where he lives and I have a reminder of him at my computer. Right on the wall there is what is left of a buzz bait that I fooled him with last summer. It was a perfect attack on my part. I had the sun at his back, and I waited till my drift brought me in perfect casting range and then one of those rare moments I dropped a perfect cast about 10 feet past where I knew he would be. On my first lift the buzz bait came right up on plane with no weeds and with a nice vee wake and that musical plop, plop, plop it churned it's way right over where I knew Mr.Big should be. I was answered with a big hit and a spray of water but I waited that split second till I felt weight then I reared back and set the hook... Like music I heard the sound of my drag and for a breif moment I started to think I had a chance. Then just like that it was over. The buzz bait came flying back at me head high, I ducked as it zipped by my head and watched the boil of what was Mr. Big get bigger and bigger till it was just a little wave that lapped up against my boat. I reeled the buzz bait back in, or should I say what was left of it. All I have is the triple blade and part of the shaft, The rest was broken off and gone. It hangs on my wall and I am looking at it right now. Someday, yup someday I'll get my hands on Mr. Big and hold him high over my head and like the cave man who discovered fire I will rule!!!!! from Lake Iwanttobethere (4927)

I know some of you are asking just where is Mr. Big or is he just something that Bobby Bass has just dreamed up. O no he is as real as the 99 cent menu at McDonald's. He is as real as what ever you just bought will be on sale tomorrow. He is as real as the old guy you met on your fishing vacation who tells you that you should have been here last week I'll even tell you exactly where you can find him. Out on the bay there is a Lilly pad field, it's just out from a wooded point that once was a dairy farm but now is just a brushy field with some new growth birch and a few old willows. You can get to through the woods but there is or was a one horn bull that was and still is I think pretty upset with the world. A handful of times I have tried to gain access to the lake this way but have been found, chased and almost ran through by that bull. I don't know if he is still there but the memory is still fresh enough in my mind that I do not want to try it. Even though the bull may be older then dirt now and has to be a few steps slower so am I.

So that rules out by land, your next approach is of course by boat, Not to bad in the Spring with a good wind you can get yourself blown across the top of the newly forming paddies and get back to the strip. That is where you want to be. There is a strip of clear, weed free water that runs about 15 to 20 feet wide at the back of the pads and before the reeds that grow out from the shoreline. Of course there is about 300 yards of pads to get through before you can get back to the strip and clear sailing. The strip runs maybe 350 feet depending on how well the pads are growing. Now laying back in the middle of the strip lies a willow tree that was hit by lightning and the trunk fell out into the water, It has been there a long time and most of the small branches are long gone but the main branches are still there just below the surface. This area holds lots of fish but Mr. Big is at the base of the trunk where when the tree went into the water the trunk also fell in to the lake and a giant root base broke away from the shore and stands on it's side. Here Mr. Big has found his home. There is a deep hole maybe six feet here where as the rest of the water is maybe two feet. The only way to get to it is by coming down the strip of clear water and pitching a bait under the trunk to bring it back under and through the deep water hole.

Sounds hard? Well it is. The wind rarely if ever is coming from the right direction. When we have a hot summer like this the pads explode and make an almost impossible mat to try and get your boat through. You can use a push pole but you better bring two and then you better have a rope tied on to it cuz the pads will reach out and rip it from your hands and then you are in big trouble if you don't have a push pole. Did I mention you have to get through this and be quiet! I won't even talk about getting back out once you do get in. It sounds like it is impossible right? Well I will give away one small secret. If you put your boat on plane and run at top speed and then shut down right before you hit the pads and if you have someone foolish enough to go with you and they pull the motor up you can skip across the pads almost halfway. Why do you think my boat is named the Puddle Humper ?

All this for one fish, ahh but it's a fine fish I tell ya. I have had him on a few times and lost him every time. But I can sit back and relive every time over and over again in my mind. I have forgotten my first kiss but I still remember the first time Mr. Big took a lure. I was fishing a Devil Horse a big 5/8 oz. In a frog pattern, it's all of 6" long and I tossed it off the trunk and I just saw a huge mouth come up and suck it off the surface, There was just a little dimple in the water where the lure was. Then my drag screamed and stopped. I started reeling when I realize Mr. Big was heading straight at the boat I could not reel fast enough, Mr. Big went straight under the boat and as I leaned down to see the shape zip by the rod was torn from my hands to fall into the lake and disappear under the boat. I tossed myself to the other side of the boat and grabbed into the water at the now fleeting handle of my rod disappearing into the caramel color water. And just like that it was gone. I sat back and wished someone else was with me cuz no one was going to believe what just happen. Then I saw a dimple on the water and as I watched my Devil Horse bob to the surface about 20 feet away. I grabbed my other rod and with shaking hands and a few casts I snagged the Devil Horse I reeled in and found my line still attached. I started to pull line in hand over hand and retrieved my rod. The front treble hook was torn out of the lure and there was a single scale on the back treble. Looking up over my desk it hangs on the wall along with other trashed lures from Mr. Big. Even now the memory is like yesterday. From Lake Iwanttobethere (4963)

What a light show mother nature put on here at the lake last night and into the morning. So much lightning that you could not look away from the sky. At times it looked like a giant lite snake moving across the sky only to twist back on itself and then roll over to do it again. The strange part was that it was so far away and so high in the sky that you could hear no thunder, just see the flashing light until it finally disappeared over the horizon to be lost in the trees on the far side of Lake Iwanttobethere.

This morning I drove around part of the lake to check on damage from the storm, Hardly anything, A few down branches and some standing water and it has been a long time since we have seen any standing water. The creeks are still very very low as most of the water was soaked into the ground. Except in a few spots. I did notice other things that I have not been paying attention to. As I drove around the lake and some of the farm land I see the big hay bales stacked neatly in the fields. Rows and rows of 6 foot high corn like waves on the sea blowing in the breeze. Calf's with their mothers grazing and they are putting on some weight, A few garage sale signs on the roads and even the flea market was taking the rain covers off their tables. Temperatures down a good 20 degrees from the day before, a good rain will do that. Back at the Lake we lost one of the tents but everyone grabbed a sledgehammer and the ringing of metal was soon heard as new stakes were driven in the ground and the contents transferred over to the newly installed tent.

Loggers Days didn't miss a beat and although it was an overcast day it was a good day for the events. Hammering Hank sits in 3rd after the first full day and Mindy is in first in her division and Mandy 2nd in hers. With luck we will see them roll off against each other in the log rolling contest. A tad muddy but what a great smell. The odor of new wood chips and mud mixed together hung heavy in the damp air. It took me a while but there was another odor that I could not place until as a little girl ran by then I put my finger on it or should I say my nose. Cotton Candy.. Summer smells, hot dogs, smoke from the BBQ's sounds of bees. Even the distinctive snap of a beer can top being opened. Everyone knows the sound of a can being open, the sound of a tent zipper, That lovely noise a drag on a reel makes. For a cat or a dog it might be the sound of a can opener. For me it has to be the sound of a fishing reel drag, just music to my ears. Right behind would be that snapping and crackling of wood fire at dusk and the ere sound of a loon across the water at dusk. A passing vee of Geese and their honking at they fly by. A bull frog deep in the slop. The sound of a slamming cabin door and the low mumble of conversation then the brief laughter of a lady. The sounds of a Twins baseball game drifting in and out on the radio. Sights and sounds of summer all from Lake Iwanttobethere. (5013)

Since yesterday was silent Sunday for me I decide to get away from it all for a few hours and get some fishing in. To much going on down at the park with Loggers Days and by the way Hammering Hank finished 2nd as there had been so rain water the night before that the tree he was on for the speed climbing event tipped over on his run. Mindy did defeat Mandy in the log rolling event and Big Jim took the chopping events. The fantastic fine fingers of fifties fiddlers Fiona and Fred Fiddle and their sons Fedo, Fritz, Floyd and daughters Fawn and Frema were back to entertain the crowds with their fingers snapping, knee slapping music. They were set up on the hay bale stage that was erected on the South end of the park. It was a little soggy with the rain but it held up pretty well. The highlight as always is when Hammering Hank gets his converted county snow thrower running and starts mulching the tree climbing trees and log rollers. Then when they add the hay bales from the stage it tosses the mix about a 100 feet into the air and it looks like a scene from Twister. Can't leave the park with out wood chips and straw in your hair and clothes.

So anyway I decide to do some fishing, I took Barney and Bud with me and remove the back seat from the rear casting platform. Barney proceed to lay down and go to sleep while Bud was sitting intent at the bow watching every duck and goose that we went by. I decide to head over to Murphy's dock as I have had a few rounds with a bass that is under his pontoon boat. Not Mr. Big mind you but a decent fish. Barney knew I was not doing any serious fishing so he was soon snoring away. I was just far enough away from the shoreline that a passing wave from time to time was all that was needed as I passed the residents of Lake Iwanttobethere.

I drifted into Murphy's bay and picked up my rod with the new 100# test braided line, I was going to try this out here and see how it works. Gearing up to go after MR. Big this fall when the water cools a tad and the pads start to die so I can get in there. A few casts and nothing happening, I had on one of them 10 inch grape worms, don't want to bother with no little perch. Then I felt a little tap tap tap.. Rearing back I set the hook and I had me a bass on, Under Murphy's dock it went and wrapping itself around the front post I could see it down there finning itself. I tucked the rod under my arm for more leverage and started to crank away like I was using a come-a-long. But I got hung on that post. That is when I did something stupid.. Not the first time I might add. I wrapped some of the 100# line around my wrist, to get better leverage I thought. Bud came forward to see what I was doing. He stepped down on the trolling motor control pad and turn the boat away from the dock. With my hand wrapped in the line I could not reach the foot pad and now I was being stretched between dock and boat, something had to give and into the water I went. Of course now the bass decides to swim the other way around the dock post and gets loose, now I am being dragged by my arm by the Bass. I have to decide whether I should yell or not since this is silent Sunday. But Bud being the Lab that he is comes to my rescue, Being a retriever he does what he is trained to do. He jumps in the water. Now Bud is at my side swimming thinking this is good fun, I am being pulled out into the lake and the Puddle Humper is heading down the shore the other way.

Well I decide I need to speak, so I yell Barney!! Barney wakes from his nap and being the fishing dog that he is, takes his time weaving his way through rods and tackle boxes to jump up on the front casting deck. Looking out over the bow he sees nothing. I yell again. BARNEY he looks over his shoulder and sees me and Bud in the water. Nonchalantly he puts his paw on the trolling motor pad and turns the boat back toward us. A few minutes later the boat glides up next to me and Barney steps off the pad and goes back to lay down again. I untangle the line from my wrist and with great effort climb back into the boat, Bud follows and proceeds to shake water off all over. I pull the line in but Murphy's bass is long gone. I decide I have had enough for the day and head back to the dock. Barney gets and extra biscuit. Just another day here at Lake Iwanttobethere. (5043)

Busy busy here at Lake Iwanttobethere. Had a good size storm finally hit us here bring much needed water and also a few down trees. So took time to do some cleaning up. To give you an idea how windy it was a stack of firewood blew over and crushed a row of peppers. Going to have to rework my chili recipe for the tailgate cookoff this fall. Just when I thought I was almost done with the Honey do list I discovered a second page! That or she has been adding to it when I was not looking. Already we are into the 1st week of August and in another month the fall do list will be here. Where did this summer go? Have not been fishing as much as I would like to be but that usual changes here in August and September. Now gas has jumped at the pump again so I might have to think a tad about where on Lake Iwanttobethere that I am going to fish. Mr. Big might swim another season as he is on the far side of the lake and a good hour travel time. I am however going to take a shot at him tonight. I have my granddaughter gathering frogs for me so after this weeks work I deserve a trip after Mr. Big. There is a chance for some thunderstorms again tonight so maybe this will be the night...I might bring Barney with but Bud is going to stay home after his helpful fishing adventure.

Tasty Farms has a vegetable stand down in the park open so nights have been filled with the smell of roasting sweet corn on the BBQ's As a matter of fact I picked up a doz. Ears myself just last night. My corn is not doing so well but I am thinking next year I will hook up a commercial watering system like the big boys have. I think I have enough old lawn mowers here that I can just weld them all together with a garden hose between them and then just start them up and they can drag the water down the patch and then I will just revere them the next day. It should work, you think? I will tell you one thing the extended dry spell brought on and that is wasps and hornets. I am finding nests all over the place. Some is good cuz it gets me out of work but I had one under the boat house and we removed that right away.

The main and only street light in town was flickering away the other night, As you may remember Foot footed the bill for a replacement bulb last winter but it looks like it is already going out. We spoke of it at the Lodge meeting the other night and it was decided and voted on that the Lodge would pass the hat and replace the bulb but rename it Foot's light. People tend to give money a little easier when they know where it is going. So we passed a pitcher and we soon raised enough money for a replacement bulb and will have that in. We ordered it from Earl at the general store and he will cover the shipping and Hank says he still has his speed climbing stuff out so he will change it for us.

Nothing going on in the park this weekend, one of them rare bumps in the summer schedule. Good I think as there has been so much foot traffic I think even the park needs a rest. Frank the plow driver will be bring a back hole down and digging the access out a tad. Lake is a little shallow and rains has helped. But some of then tourist have trouble getting their boats in the water and we can't have that. Well I have to pull the honey do list down and see if I can't find a few things to mark off with my bright red pencil. After that is done I will pick up frogs and head out for the evening. I wonder if I add a few things to the list and then cross them off she would notice? Eat breakfast, walk on the dock to check the planks. Hmmm I might just have had an idea. Well from Lake Iwanttobethere (5100)

Mr. Big still swims. Went out last night and fished with some live frogs. They didn't even hit the water before they were gobbled up by Mr. Bigs smaller relatives. All in all a fun way to fish. Brings back memories of searching the banks for live bait, crickets and frogs and turning over logs for worms. Wading the shallows for crayfish. Was as much fun when we were kids gathering the bait as it was fishing with them. Guess in some ways fishing simple is fishing fun. My puddle humper is going on 18 years old now and to some she is getting old. To me she is just right, have everything that I need and as long as I keep her clean I expected to get another 18 years out of her. Hope I can get that many years out of me!

With nothing going on in the park we are just a quiet little fishing town today. Still a fair amount of traffic on the main street and people wandering from shop to shop doing their shopping. Can look out and see a few boats out on Lake Iwanttobethere and the parking lot is half full with trailers at the access. A few groups are having picnics and you can smell BBQ on the wind. I see Amy is just locking the doors to her shop and has a tackle box in hand, I would say she is off fishing to. Walking down main street I see Reed the Realtor was hanging up a newly painted sign in his store front, business must be good for old Reed to spend money on his place. We have had a few cabins change hands here this summer. Since ice fishing is such a big deal here I expect that some more new faces will be showing up here this winter. I have seen a few pickup trucks with plywood in the back and not for any cabin remodeling. Won't be to much longer and trees will start to change color and you will be able to look back into the yards and see what has been going on with the icehouses over the summer. You can always hear some hammering and saws running up here at the lake. I will wait till September before I pull the covers off my house. My granddaughter thinks it is her play house during the summer anyway.

Down to the last week of trap shooting at the Lodge, will have a week off then will start up the fall season, By the time bird season starts we will have our shooting eyes and triggering fingers ready. Bud and Barney have been earning some extra biscuit money by going out into the trap field and retrieving unbroken clay targets. Hammering Hank has not been mowing at all back there and the weeds have gotten pretty high. They act just like hands and catch them before they can hit the ground and break. There are a few guys who shoot, and I can't name names, but the clay birds and the real birds are pretty safe.

Lot of county fairs are in full swing and it is fun to go and hit the surrounding counties. I always seem to check out the 4 H tents and of course the food tents. Flea markets are all over the place and of course the roadside stands for everything from Elvis art to watermelons to used lawnmowers. Easy enough to kill a weekend just taking a drive. Well I hope you have found something to do this weekend, you can always come visit us here at Lake Iwanttobethere (5132)

Wow has it been an interesting couple of weeks. The wife and I had to run down to the city for a funeral so we left the squirrels and chipmunks in charge of the cabin. Surprisingly enough most of the things I thought would happen, didn't. There was no new holes in our furniture and they even did their dishes when done.

Getting back to somewhat of a normal life up here on Lookout Bluff. Had to cut the grass today and I ran out of the precious liquid mid-lawn so I sent the wife downtown to get some more in the can. She came back complaining about the prices of gas and never did tell me what it cost her. Now she's inside making some hobo dinners to make over the fire tonite. Cut potato's, carrots, hunks of beef and some garlic and butter MMMMM. I can smell them already and I have yet to lite the fire.

I met what I believe was one of the local volunteer firefighters today. I asked about joining and the only answer I got was a question about knowing how to hitch horses to the wagon. I'm still trying to figure out if he was pulling my leg or if the old horse drawn fire engine is still in use. I know there are modern firetrucks in the area because I saw them out when the cigar smoke incident at the lodge took place.

Speaking of the lodge, Has there been a verdict on my membership? I hear the wife calling me now. She wants to eat soon so I better go get my flint rock. Figure i'd try to start the fire the old fashion way tonite just to see if I still have the touch. From lookout bluff at Lake Iwanttobethere...(5175)

Town Hall meeting and also the Lodge meeting both at the same time at the Lodge. Was pretty full so had to help Hammering Hank pull out some of the metal chairs from storage and pull back the room divider. One of those rare times when we had women in the Lodge and many were quite surprised at the skylight in the bathroom. Some made mention that they felt like they were outside which was OK for some and others did not like the gray squirrel watching them through the screen.

Reed the Realtor was there passing out some new business cards, The Johnson brothers who are home from college were there. Hammering Hank of course was in the corner chatting with Elmer and Chuck. Mark the mailman and Frank the plow driver were in a heated debate about mailboxes getting clipped along possum drive. Marc from Marc's towing service was passing out free coupons at the door. Doc Burriem was keeping company with Molly Bodensteiner and Wolfgang Puck was listening intently at their conversation. Bucky Snaggletooth had brought in a big bucket of mini-dounuts and was looking for a receipt so he could write them off.

Old man Walter and Jimmy were at a front table along with Mr. McPettes. They were just sipping away at their beers waiting for the meeting to start. You knew when Earl and his son Jr. came in as you could hear his booming voice. Jimmy covered in sawdust was standing at the bar along with Mike from the junkyard and Weird Willie stood by the popcorn machine. In the center of the room gathering most of the attention Mindy, Mandy and the Widow Hess along of course with Amy

The Lodge meeting was called to order first. Minutes were read, which were done. The Loggers days were called a success again. The Lodge made a small profit and that was spent for taxes and Insurance and also Hammering Hank was paid for his repairing of the screen porch and also new 9 volt batteries for the smoke alarms. Jason name was nominated as a new member of the Lodge and after a brief discussion he was voted in to the Lodge and he will be sent a envelope for his DONATION for membership. Also at this time it was announced that a few other visitors to the Lake should be considered for membership so the names of Peatmoss, Blaze, Dan Thiem and Nytelyter if he picks up his dang Atwater from the bait shop. All in favor were asked to raise their glass and all did.

Town Hall then held it's meeting and minutes were read by Floyd everyone filled up their drinks at the bar and returned to their seat as Floyd finished with the minutes. New business was called and answered. Was suggested and passed that the words " end of dock" be painted on the end of the dock as some tourists have been walking off the end of the dock into the waters of Lake Iwanttobethere. Passed.

A second light bulb to be purchased for the lone street light so we will have one in stock, passed

A discussion was held in regards to the no lawnmowers or chain saws ran on the weekend, this was tabled for further review.

A discussion was held regarding Del's pizza and sub shop shooting pizza's out into the lake. At this time Del arrived with 20 pizza's as the pizza were passed out it was decide that since no one has been hurt and no other boat other then the Lund hit that it would be tabled for further discussion.

A question was raised in regards to the Town Hall/ ice house and it was decide that a NEW tire would be purchased this fall to replace the leaking one.

The town was given two season tickets to Vikings football games by Old Man McFarlane the town will raffle them off one game at a time and the proceeds will go towards improvements to the town. This passed with a hearty toast by all. Everyone returned to the bar for a refill.

The Viking idea went over so big that the Lodge will look into Twins tickets if they advance into the playoffs, This was also met with a hearty toast and we once again had to refill at the bar.

Meeting was called as Floyd was now having a hard time writing the minutes, This was met with a hearty toast and we all turned our chairs to watch the Twins finish off the Tigers.

From Lake Iwanttobethere (5207)

Yes! I'm in. I thought my name was being mentioned last night as my ears were burnin. Thanks Bobby!

i am honered and send a hearty thank you for the vote in. i promise i will get that atwater picked up this fall on my trip to the lake. my new job is going well and i have recieved my first raise. with more promised soon. had a great day on the water on my catamaran on sunday. the "KNOT A CLEW" had a very nice sailing wind and was the first sail on the water on sunday morning. and was seen screeming across the lake on many very fast reaches. well i am off to get ready for todays day at work. hope you all have a gr8 day. ... paul

One of my favorite weekends coming up this weekend. I know many of you are looking at the calendar and seeing nothing to note, no holiday's or fairs or new big movies due to come out. Not even a local fishing contest. But Sunday is the annual Lake Iwanttobethere mime picnic!

Yes sir on Sunday which as you know is always silent Sunday for me I will be wandering through the thongs of partying picnickers that will gather in the park and enjoy BBQ and silent laffs with out saying a word. Some of my friends will be there and will be having a difficult time keeping their mouths shuts but I will be in my element. I am sure there will be a lot of poking fingers and waving hands and a good time will be had by all. Last year we had the Lodge open for them and it was a good time till several of them started drinking and locked themselves in a box and would not show us where the door was to let them out. I will let you know if anything interesting happens but it is hard to say anything when you are a mime. I did kind of hear there ad on the radio today but it was just 30 seconds of dead air, That is what reminded me that it was this Sunday.

I did get the letter out in the mail today to the new candidates for Lodge membership that were voted on in last meeting. Besides a form and a envelope to mail their dues in there is also a questionnaire that they need to fill out and one of the question is that they need to post what they will bring to the Lodge as a new member. So we will be waiting to hear from our new members!!

On another note what a great weather day today was, Windy and cloudy and temps in the 60's a joy to work outside for the first time in several months. A real Lake Iwanttobethere kind of summer day! Got those last leaves out of my yard from last fall, just kind of tossed them up in the air and the wind took them all to Elmers' yard. Barney is down on the dock and good thing he has his sea legs as the dock is rising and falling on the waves that are rolling in. Not to many boats out fishing but I do see a few sailboats being tossed about. But then they like the wind. So from Lake Iwanttobethere you have a good evening. (5263)

Quote:

I do see a few sailboats being tossed about.

Was it the lighter of the night out there in his craft?

Oh and ahhhh...ya I'm checkin the mailbox for the questionare. grin.gifgrin.gif