• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishin report for Lake Iwanttobethere..

Bobby Bass

good work Bobby.

As I sit in my office reading your previous post I'm being lured into the woods to do exactly what you did, see no deer but like it anyway.

MONDAY AFTERNOON FOUND me in the old wood rocking chair on the porch of the HOTEL not rocking. To much snow had fallen and the floor under the rockers was hard packed. When I did try to rock I would kind of go back and forth and sideways at the same time, kind of like a cheap ride at the county fair. Big Earl had hitched a ride with Reed in the bio-diesel back to town. Big Earl being a big guy preferred the ride of the RV vrs Juniors SUV but he will be back later in the week. Marv and Elmer looking at the falling snow decided to spent their afternoon in the HOTEL playing partner cribbage against Tye and Chuck. Two old coffee pots were sitting on the rack on top of the pot belly stove, one holding coffee and the other hot cider. I was thinking about making hot chocolate but the first sip of hot apple cider hit the spot and I used one of them big insulated mugs and set it down on the railing of the porch, steam rose up from the sippie hole and I could smell the apple in the cool air.

Snow was falling, sometimes hard but often just enough was coming down to say it was snowing. Wind was blowing so some of the snow might be coming of the tall trees that surround the HOTEL and just made it look worse then what it was. I could take a walk down to one of the stands but I was comfortable in the rocking chair and it was starting to get dark out. I had finished my cider and I was smacking my lips thinking about getting up and getting a refill when the door creaked behind me and Elmer's hand with the pot in it appeared. I turned in the rocker and stretching out I made it close enough so that the two of us could do a midair refueling. I nodded my head and the pot dipped in return and the hand and arm and pot retracted back into the HOTEL and the door clicked closed softly.

I took a few sips, the new stuff was a lot hotter then the last cold sip I had in the mug. I reached out to set the mug on the snow less spot on the rail and as I sat it down I looked up over the mug and focus on a deer standing at the edge of the woods looking in my direction. Snow was falling a little harder and there was a few gusts of wind making it swirl so it took me a few seconds to see it was a doe. I froze with my arm sticking out and the rocker tipped forward. I was looking hard behind the doe looking for more deer and maybe just maybe a buck. I took a few heart beats to slowly pull my arm back and let the rocker settle back down into the ruts. The snow underneath the rockers suddenly sounded pretty crunchy. Leaning up against the post was my 30-30 and I slowly reached for it and brought it into my lap, my eyes still searching around the doe who now had her head down and was slowly walking along the edge. We did this for a couple of minutes, the snow fell and she would disappear only to emerge again from the falling snow a few yards down from where I last saw her.

I watched and something about her kept me looking behind her, I got that feeling she was being followed and I was waiting to see who it was. I of course was thinking buck so I was disappointed when a small doe followed her tracks. I didn't give up though I was still holding out for a buck but after awhile the small doe hooked up with what I was thinking was her mama and the two of them disappeared into the swirling snow and I lost them. I brushed off some of the snow that had fallen into my beard and took a few sips from the apple cider mug that had cooled. Guess I was watching for longer then I thought. Still I thought to myself at least I saw a deer, as a matter of fact I saw two, that is one step better then being skunked here at the HOTEL at Lake Iwanttobethere

TODAY NO SOONER did Chuck and I riding in the Tahoe hit the blacktop and the sun came out! Of course we were not in our stands but we were heading home as today is Chuck's wedding anniversary and even though it is deer season he had promised to be back to celebrate. I of course having been through thirty-seven of these events would rather have just stayed in camp but I did spent some time jabbing Chuck some on the ride back giving him some grief. I actually was looking forward to a hot shower and maybe a nap on a bed instead of inside a sleeping bag on a two inch flat mattresses resting on a sheet of plywood hanging off a cold log wall that I shared with a mouse named Ralph.

Ride back home is always quicker then the ride out to deer camp, ditches were full of snow and it looked like more snow had fallen around the lake then back at camp. Chuck was looking forward to making the last few fixes on the old county snowplow and he promised he would have me all plowed out before it was time for me to head back to deer camp. We arrived at Chuck's driveway to find the snow cleared and a couple of trees down. Chuck speaking out loud said he had a bad feeling and when we drove up to the garage we saw the snowplow truck resting in his garden. It would appear the new wife had decided to plow with the county truck and I guess Chuck did not tell her about not having gotten around to fixing the brakes and the pump for the plow blade was leaking. I let him out of the Tahoe and told him to have a happy anniversary and I turned around and drove up my snow covered drive and parked in my space, the wife's jeep was gone but I did find a note on the fridge after I got past Duncan and Barney who greeted me like I was never coming back, I don't know what the wife had told them while I was gone.

Dear Husband

I hope this letter finds you in good health and safe in the elements. I have tried on several occasions to get in contact with you at the hour we agreed on that you would have your cell phone on but with no success. All is fine here at the cabin, what snow that fell in the driveway I just drove through with the Jeep. I have been parking where you normally park the Tahoe as there are no ruts there.

Your dogs are fine and Barney has taken to fluffing your down pillows on your bed before laying down to take his afternoon naps. Duncan prefers just laying on your bed and just scratching your blankets onto the floor. I have given up on making your bed and am just letting the dogs do what they want.

Last night I found some porterhouse steaks in the freezer hidden under some pizza's. I figured you were saving them for something and must have forgotten them so I cooked them up, The dogs agree they were delicious as Barney and Duncan shared yours.

When I was in the garage looking for a snow shovel I found a cardboard box with old shirts and some pants. I assumed that you were helping me out cleaning your closet and the box was meant for the garbage man. Not to worry he got them along with a few other things you must have forgotten. Since you now have some hanger space in your closet I moved a few of my seasonal things in there.

Mark the mailman was here yesterday, he made a trip up the drive with a box for you. Gus at the Lodge told him that you were at the hotel/hunting camp so the box was brought here. Imagine my surprise when I open it to find out that you are a member in the Pie Of The Month Club. Not to worry about it going bad as my mother stopped by and we had a delightful tea and shared the pie for dessert.

I am posting this letter here for you to read as I don't know how else to get a hold of you. I did have a reason for trying to get a hold of you but it escapes me right now, Your Loving Wife {2,362,574}

UPDATE : THE HOTEL as of today there are still no deer hanging from the cross pole here at the HOTEL. I have seen two does and Tye has seen one, no one else in camp has seen anything at all. Not even a grouse or a rabbit but I have seen some tracks. Elmer and Marv have been threatening to put a scope on the pellet gun and go big mouse hunting in the cabin. Trouble with that is we don't have a scope for the pellet gun and if we did I am afraid my hunting boots through a scope would look a lot like a mouse to them guys.

This morning it was seven above zero but it could have been seven below because seven above in November is still more then cold enough to be sitting in the snow on a stand down in the swamp. At least the wind is not so bad and there was some sunshine to make you feel like you are warmer then you are. On Wednesday I was in town for the afternoon and evening. Chuck needed a ride back to his cabin and when he arrived he found he had some work to do. Getting the old county dump truck with the snowplow out of his garden was first on the list. The ladies, his wife and my wife had decided they would take on clearing the nine inches of snow we got. My wife at one time was a Lake Iwanttobethere bus driver and as you may or may not know the buses here have snow plows on them. Chuck's wife has seen him fiddle with enough engines and between the two of them they figured they could get the trucked started and surprise us with clean driveways. It could have been a success story if the trees had not gotten in the way and the brakes worked when you put pressure on them.

After digging the dump truck out with the tractor we hooked up the Tahoe with some chains and made our own commercial. That went as well as expected right up to the part where the chain snapped but we were prepared for that and we had a sheet of plywood between the two trucks. The chain came back and hit that plywood hard enough to break a couple of links through. We stopped and inspected the damage, fixed the chain and of course we went and tried it again. Dump truck is now parked over at Elmer's house behind his garage and out of sight of the ladies. With the truck out of the garden I took the time to head in to town to pick up a few things. With hunting so poor and the guys spending a lot of time in the HOTEL we needed to restock some of our foodstuffs.

I made a quick stop at the Lodge to give Gus an ear full about sending my Pie of the Month selection to my cabin but I found out he didn't do it. Seems Vinnie was trying to make some brownie points with Mister B as he calls me. He knew how much I like my pie and figured he would make sure I didn't miss this month's delivery. I took Vinnie into the kitchen and had a heart to heart talk to him. I thanked him for the pie and then told him never ever forward any mail or package that comes to a Lodge member at this address. There are a lot of lockers in the basement with stuff that members do not want their wife's to know about. If it is sent here it stays here. " Gotcha Mister B" Vinnie said and gave me a big thumbs up.

Next stop was Ma and Pa's grocery, I had a list with me and I was surprised when I drove up and had to park down the street a ways. No parking in front of the store and as I entered I saw several guys wearing their blaze orange hats just standing around sipping soda's or chewing on jerky sticks. I asked Ma where Pa was and she told me he was back by the walk in cooler. I found Pa back there holding on to a coffee can and guarding the cooler door. I was just about to ask Pa what was going on when a couple of guys came out of the cooler and nodded in my direction and gave Pa the thumbs up sign. I asked Pa what was going on and he told me he had two really nice bucks hanging in the cooler. Seems we are not the only camp not seeing any deer and guys hearing about the bucks in the cooler were stopping by just to see what a deer looks like this year. Sounded like a good idea to me and I asked Pa if I could go in and take a peek. Pa held the coffee can out in front of him and said "One buck to see two bucks" and I looked in to see dollar bills smashed down inside the coffee can. I am not going to tell you if I paid to see the bucks, you will just have to wonder, but remember I did see two does!

Now this is Saturday and you might be wondering how and why I am posting a story from deer camp. Well all the guys who voted that we have an old fashion deer camp are not here this weekend, so we turned the power on. We may be old but we are not that dumb all the time here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,372,972}

GOING THROUGH THE firewood like someone else cut it here at the HOTEL. Yet another morning of waking up to a single number above zero here at deer camp. Bad morning in the stand as I was cold when I walked to the stand, cold on the stand and cold when I got back to the HOTEL from the stand. One of the problems of getting old like we all do is the circulation starts to go. Wish they made something like a radiator flush that you can use on old guys. Over the last several years I have been having circulation problems and if my hands start off cold they usually stay cold. Makes it tuff during deer season and especially during late fall fishing. But then again some days my hands are so warm I can't bare to wear gloves, go figure.

Didn't spend a lot of time on the stand this morning, too cold and way to windy. There were gusts moving the tree and sneaking cold air anywhere I didn't have my skin covered in several layers. I figured after awhile it was just better to head back to the HOTEL and hope for the wind to die and some sunshine to appear. Chuck's son in law who is not hunting with us shot a nine pointer on Saturday. I hear it was a pretty decent deer and glad I am not going to have to hear about the deer every day for the next several months like Chuck is. Chuck is not at camp, he had some jobs to do so he is not here for me to give any grief about his son in law's deer.

Some snow in the forecast, mostly just flurries to fall according to Sunshine Ray. I am thinking we might get enough snow to fill in tracks enough so you can tell the difference between an old one and a new one. I did hear one shot this morning, not close but not real far away either. Hard to tell really as in the cold air sound seems to travel a ways. Not like in the city where you have a hard time hearing a metal trash can lid from a half a block away. Out in the woods a noise that does not belong seems to be loud and stands out. The sound of a four wheeler stuck and it's rider yelling can be heard from quite a ways a way. The outhouse door slamming is something else that is pretty loud, ours was till we put them springs on the door.

So I am siting at the old wood round table here inside the HOTEL, I am close to the pot belly stove and there is a healthy fire going inside. My fingers are cold and the keys on the laptop feel cold to the touch. Was thinking there for a little bit about heating the laptop up but that would not be a good idea. I do have a mug of hot cider close and I am trading hands holding the mug trying to get my fingers warm. Eyeing a bottle of Old Granddad and thinking about adding a splash or two to the cider but if I do that there will be no afternoon hunting for me. Looking out the widow over the sink the wind is still blowing strong and I see branches swaying back and forth. Occasionally I will see a few snow flakes go sailing by, don't know if they are new ones or just something the wind picked up.

I am on lighthouse duty as we call it. No one else is here at camp but me. Chuck had some jobs to do and Big Earl and Junior are back working at the General Store till the weekend. Marv and Elmer are back to work at the smoke and book shop, they closed it all of last week. Tye also is back at work along with Skinny and Hammering Hank. Reed was going to come up but someone actually wanted to check out a cabin he has for sale. Dock Burriem is coming back tonight and Vic is going to come along for the ride. Until then someone has to stay around and keep the pot belly stove burning and the coffee hot. I must admit it is a job I am good at. I don't have much problem sitting here by the fire smoking one of Dock's cigars and soon I will be sipping on some of Elmer's bourbon. Now if I could only get my fingers warm here at the HOTEL on Lake Iwanttobethere {2,380,923}

I GET TO play the winner of the cribbage game going on here this afternoon. Dock Burriem and Vic are sitting at the round table here in the main room of the HOTEL, actually it is the only room here at the HOTEL. We sometimes refer to it as the "Grand Ball Room" I did go out and sit on the stand this morning, not the swamp stand but I took the trail and went up to the ridge to sit on that stand. As you might have guessed I was feeling pretty good this morning so I thought I could handle the hike up the hill. The best part about the walk up to the ridge stand is it is all down hill coming back.

Was cold out but no wind which makes a difference and the sun did come out every few minutes or so. Another thing is today my hands were warm and that sure helps keeping me sitting longer. I did see one deer down the ridge but it was so far away I could not tell if it was a buck or a doe. I waited to see if it would turn and come my way but instead it followed the trail and went into the swamp. Seeing the deer was a good thing having it go down the trail to the swamp that I could see from my swamp stand was the bad.

I have some spaghetti sauce simmering away in a pot on the pot belly stove and a loaf of French bread wrapped in tin foil alongside. The sauce I brought from home and sometime this afternoon I will go ahead and cook some noodles and we will eat. For now I just keep breaking off chucks of the French bread and dipping it in the sauce. I tell Vic and Dock it is not quite ready yet but I happen to like French bread and sauce and if I am not careful by dinner time there may not be any bread left. I have been spending some time peeking out the widows of the HOTEL, never can tell when a deer may walk by.

So far I have won two and lost one game of cribbage at the table. Ever notice when someone else is playing cribbage how long a game can take and when you are sitting down losing a game how quickly your turn is up. The old guys may be slow but when it comes to playing cribbage they have been doing it for more the fifty years and the don't count cards they just lay their hands down and announce their score and start pegging. I am quick but not that quick and sometimes I count their hands just to make sure they are not pulling a fast one on me. Reed is due back at the HOTEL this afternoon and everyone is going to be here Friday night for the last weekend of the season. Someone has to get lucky here and get us a taste of venison, otherwise it is going to go down in the log book as a skunked year.

We got that one good snow fall right away and since then we have just gotten a dusting of snow a few times. Has been cold the entire time here and we have gone through a lot of firewood but we still have plenty. There has been a little bit of talk about the first week when we ran an old fashion camp and some growing support that maybe we should put some money into the HOTEL over the summer and remodel. The thought of an addition with an indoor bathroom is very popular and Big Earl can order us one of them fancy waterless toilets and get us a deal. I must admit I do like a bench with a cushion on it and a porch with a screen would be nice to sit out on. We figure if we made some improvements maybe it, the HOTEL would get more guys using it during the summer. It does seem like a waste just using it for a couple of week's deer hunting and maybe a few stops when grouse hunting in the area. Vic just put his hands up in defeat and it is my turn to take on Dock who has won three straight. I stir the sauce with the wood spoon before sitting down and Vic heads out the door to stand watch on the porch for awhile. Really not a bad way to spend some time here at the HOTEL at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,384,979}

NO DEER IF you are wondering have been harvested here at the HOTEL, we are now writing on the scoreboard blackboard when we see a deer. The board is supposed to be used to document when we take a deer. It could be worse, that might be hard to believe but this morning I was in town getting supplies for the upcoming and last weekend of hunting and I ran into a buddy of mine who lives on the other side of Lake Iwanttobethere. We got about eleven inches of snow this deer season out at the shack. He told me they got over sixty inches of snow for there short deer season in just a couple of days. Hunting was a couple of levels below bad because they could not even get to their stands let alone to their shacks.

He told me the snow was so deep that even if you got into the woods there was no tracks as the deer had already made tunnels and were walking under the snow out of sight and safe from hunters. He knows this because he fell through into a tunnel and starting walking around. Granted he is a short guy so he did not have to bend over much but he said it was like a super highway under there. I listen to him talk and nodded my head from time but I found it hard to believe his story. I mean really, if we can't get money for a highway here where did the deer get funding?

So anyway I was in town making the rounds and checking up on the guys. Being retired does have its advantages, one of which is not having to work or spend vacation time on deer season. First stop was down at the General Store and I was kind of surprised not to see Big Earl standing outside the front door welcoming customers. I went inside to ask Barb where he was at and she said he was back at the loading dock with Junior. I made my way past the Christmas displays and blinking lights to the Employee Only door and made my way through. Chilly back there as the big door was wide open and Hammering Hank's work truck was backed up to the dock with a load of Christmas trees. HIYA's were exchanged and I was told I was welcomed to help off load the trees but I mentioned my bad back and I had things to do and...

In one stop I had confirmed that Big Earl, Junior, Hammering Hank and Skinny would all be up for the last weekend of hunting. Smoke and Magazine Shop was the next stop and I walked into the aroma of tobacco and ink. Well maybe you can't really smell the ink but I always think I can. Elmer and Marv were standing or I should say leaning over the glass counter inspecting a shipment of cigars that had arrived. They turned when they saw me and two small clouds of smoke drifted upwards over their heads like them balloons in cartoons where the writer puts in their conversation.

HIYA's were exchanged and small talk was made over the upcoming weekend of deer hunting and how Sunshine Ray is calling for temperatures to rise into the thirties, like they should have been for opener. I left with a cigar burning between my lips and two more of the guys for sure will be up at the HOTEL. I walked over to Reed the Realtors Shop and had both my hands deep in my pockets. It may warm up this weekend but with the wind today it was cold and I should have grabbed my hat that I left on the front seat of the Tahoe.

I came up on the Shop which serves as a office for all of Reeds ventures which includes real estate, a travel agency, tax preparations and a used car business. I saw Reed sitting at his desk, feet up and hands together forming a church with a steeple. I walked in and we exchanged HIYA's then Reed told me you know you can't smoke in here, I pulled a cigar out of my pocket and said "Well I guess you don't want this then" Reed got up from behind the desk took the cigar from my hand and reaching around me he flipped the sign on the door to "At Lunch" We both sat back down and Reed lit up his cigar and we both leaned back and chit chatted some. The heat was on high and the ceiling fan was slowly ticking over. A gentle warm breeze washed over me and I was almost caught up in one of Reed's sales tricks as the green leaves of the potted palm plant seemed to dance under the breeze from the fan and right in front of me was a big poster of a white sand beach and deep blue water. A colorful umbrella and the tan legs of some young thing lounging with the rest of her just off the edge of the picture. Printed in bold letters across the top it said " You Could Be Here." Reed looking at me looking at the poster said "Nice Eh" I nodded and said "I wonder how the fishing is there" from Lake Iwanttobethere {2,391,813}

ANOTHER DEER SEASON is in the log book and it was as bad as they get here at Lake Iwanttobethere. Not a single deer was harvested and as a matter of fact to add insult to injury no one even got to take a shot at a deer. Today I am back at the cabin and my hunting gear is scattered about on the chair and floor of the den. Duncan is sleeping on my sleeping bag after bunching it up into a pile that is the right fit for him. The 30/30 is cleaned and has been oiled but I have not yet put it away in the gun cabinet. Yesterday, the last day in deer camp was a wet one as it drizzled most of the day but the red needle on the outside thermometer did hit forty-seven in the shade. You might say the deer season ended how we expected it to start. We got snow and cold right up to the last weekend and the wind was a constant, yesterday was no different as the strong wind drove the rain and got everything and everyone wet.

This morning I was up by five, I am still on deer hunting time. Made my way down to the kitchen and Duncan followed me. He was walking slow and I am sure he was trying to figure out what I was doing up. I made my way to the fridge after getting a glass from the cupboard and poured myself some OJ. Duncan was already sitting in the corner trying to keep his eyes open. I walked over to the kitchen window and looked out at the yard. Rain drops chased each other down the glass and a glance at the thermometer told me it was thirty-seven out. With the juice gone I put the glass in the sink and headed back to bed, I did not have any reason to up at this hour. Found Barney sprawled across my bed taking up as much room as a fourteen year old lab can. I had to slip my arms underneath him and push him out of the center of the bed. I then laid down in his warm spot, tossed the cover over the two of us and patted him thanking him for keeping the bed warm. Duncan jumped up onto the bed and made a big deal about getting comfortable and as close to the back of my knees as he could.

Ten o'clock came and I knew that with out looking at the clock. Duncan was in the bed rolling on his back, feet in the air pestering me. The dog refuses to let me sleep in past ten and I am pretty sure the wife sends him to wake me up. I reached out for Barney but he to was already up and out of bed. I got dressed and made my way down to the kitchen. Wife had already washed out my juice glass so I grabbed another and looking out the window I saw the rain had tuned to snow and everything was white. Put my boots on and took the dogs outside with me. Not much snow, just enough to make it white and hide the ice. I walked down and got the mail and morning paper. Back at the cabin the mail joined the pile on the desk and I walked around the hunting clothes that are all dry and needed to be put away.

Spent the rest of the morning reading e-mail and fielding a few telephone calls. Need to head down to the Lodge this afternoon, with deer season done Gus and I will trade positions for the winter as I will be the manager and Gus will take his kitchen back. Between telephone calls I start to put stuff back in its place. The wife comes in and I am on the phone so she just grabs stuff and heads to the laundry room with it. She makes an attempt to get the sleeping bag but Duncan won't give up his hot spot and I tell her I'll take care of it. I sit back in my chair and watch the wind shake the apple tree outside my window. The leaves are still hanging on although they are not green anymore. I count only four apples on the branches, when I went to deer camp there were eight. Five and a half months till open water fishing season, I could figure out how many days that is but I figure I have plenty of time to do that later. Now I am just watching Duncan napping on my sleeping bag here in the den on the shores of Lake Iwanttobethere {2,402,758}

IT IS LIKE I never left here at the Lodge. Today finds me busy working at the Lodge running a few errands and back to filling out orders and talking with delivery drivers. This morning I was at Ma and Pa' Grocery picking up their donation of turkeys for our annual Thanksgiving dinner here at the Lodge. The birds are defrosting nicely and Gus and his staff are busy working at this hour getting ready for tomorrow's meal. Both of Gus's sons are helping him out as both Hopps and Barley have taken time off from running their Brewery to help out dad. Of course they also brought in a donation of their Needabeer and Whynotale for tomorrow dinner. Honey Sauce is baking cookies and I am expecting the Woman's Auxiliary to arrive here shortly to decorate the place up.

Barney stayed back at the cabin but Duncan is here and he is making the rounds inspecting the place before settling in for a nap on the couch in my office. A fire is burning in the fireplace and the drapes have been pulled open on the deck widows facing Lake Iwanttobethere and guess what we have ice. Warning signs are up at the access to remind people it is not safe yet but nevertheless there are a few people out on it. Between delivery drivers I have been going through a stack of mail here that already has me making a couple of trips to the fire. Most messages are way out of date but I have found a few things to hold on to. Matter of fact today Mark the mailman brought me my first seed catalog. I was scratching my head at that till I saw it was from a tobacco seed company.

Ice House Fling is on the calendar here for December 13th a Saturday and if the weather stays the same we should be all set. We have growing ice and as of right now we have some snow on the hill but no where close to it being deep enough to hinder launching. Matter of fact I think I over heard Skinny talking to Hammering Hank about going to the Lodge garage and getting the test log out and doing some touch up painting on it. I have on my do list to print out the sign up sheet for the Fling and also the fishing contest sheets.

Yesterday I did swing by the RESORT and the place is all buttoned up for winter. No one staying out there except for Marv in his airstream trailer and of course Vic and Dock says he is going to try and be there to keep Vic company. From what I hear Vic does not need much company as I heard from the wife that Vic has been spending time with Elsie from down the road. The Lodge stays open on Thanksgiving as we have a lot of Lodge members who come here for dinner and we have a lot of guys who just want to get away from their own family's and spend time with their Lodge family. Of course that and we have the football game on and it is a free meal and free Needabeer and Whynotale till it is gone.

As Gus puts it my six month vacation is over and it is about time I was seen around the Lodge. I was here yesterday afternoon and I am back today and I will be here tomorrow, after all it is a free meal and the football game is on. Not to mention that Amy will be donating apple pies again this year like she always does. I have noticed that the blondes are out in town. Maybe it is just me but it seems that around Thanksgiving time no matter were you go in town you see ladies with long blond hair wearing tight black pants and the puffy ski jackets in an assortment of colors. Of course it could just be that here at Lake Iwanttobethere we have a lot of blondes and it is cold out so the ski jackets are out of the closets or it may just be me. I do know that we have seen the last of any skin below the neck for the next five months or so as all the gals are bundled up.

Black Friday will not effect us here at the Lake, I along with many other business will not be opening early in the morning. With all the stores in the big city opening on Thanksgiving evening the stores here in town are remaining closed. Matter of fact most if not all are going to have regular business hours on Friday. Big Earl told me that they might loose a few dollars in sales but it has just gotten to much out of hand. Even my wife says she is not going to go out on Thanksgiving to shop but will head into the big city early Friday morning but not as early as she has in the past.

I hear a couple of beer mugs hit the table loudly and look up to see a couple of the guys pulling on their coats and heading for the back door. I was about to say something when the front door is pushed open and the Ladies Auxiliary enters. Carrying boxes of decorations and some corn stalks they marched in to the Lodge and fan out. Funny thing is they are all wearing puffy ski coats and they are all blond except for Doris who has jet black hair with a couple of streaks of white. I give the ladies my best smile because Doris always puts a smile on my face, she reminds me a lot of Frankenstein's bride here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,409,716}

THANKSGIVING IS IN the books and next up is Christmas. Between now and then winter will officially start but at the Resort the other night Vic told me it hit minus twenty, for us winter is here. Gus forgot his keys this morning and called to see if I could run down and open the Lodge, no problem I told him I would be down in a few, I lied. Went to start the Tahoe and it would not turn over, battery dead. Tried to jump it with the wife's Jeep but I had to double up on the jumper cables and didn't get a good connection so I ended up having to take the Jeep to town. Been a couple of years since I drove the wife's Jeep I am not real fond of it. First off I am a pretty good size guy and in order for me to get in the Jeep I have fold myself up and slide across the seat. When I am inside I have about an inch of head room so I have to take my hat off when I drive. In the past when I have tried wearing my hat I have hit a bump in the road, hit my head on the ceiling and pushed my hat down over my eyes, makes for an interesting drive. For me getting in and out of the Jeep is like an astronaut getting into Mercury space capsule except I don't have the support crew.

I pulled into the parking lot and did not have to get out of the Jeep. Gus was waiting in his pick up truck and he walked over and we exchanged HIYA's and he got the keys. I pulled out of the parking lot and I was thinking about going to the car wash but I saw a couple of soccer mom's vans already in line so I drove by and instead went to the Gas-N-Go. Tank was almost on empty so I figured I would fill it up for the wife. I was trying to get out of the Jeep when the young store clerk who was stocking the paper towels on the island asked me if I needed help. I mumbled something and finally popped out and stood up right. Nozzle in the fill pipe I went and washed the windows and lights all the way around the Jeep. Popped the hood and filled the window washer from the jug in back and checked the oil only to find it down a quart. None in the back so I went inside to pay for the gas and almost bought a quart of oil till I saw the price.

Got back in the Jeep and it was a little easier this time. I had the seat moved all the way back and the steering wheel tilted all the way up. Figured I needed to get some oil so I headed over to the General Store. There is one thing you should never do and that is go shopping for an everyday item on a Black Friday morning. I drove around the block once looking for a place to park but found nothing. Even the two metered parking spaces in front of Reed the Realtor shop had cars in them. Finally I just drove around out back and parked behind the dumpster by the loading dock. I had forgotten how small the Jeep was and the little places I could park it in. I went in through the loading dock and stepped into the store and chaos.

I would not say the place was packed but it was surely full. Big Earl had everyone on the payroll working and I even saw his father in law wearing a bright red apron helping another older gent and they were taking turns yelling in to each others hearing aids. I walked past and reaching around them I picked up a apple peeler and handed it to the customer. He said thanks I think and Big Earl's father in law gave me a thumbs up. A few members of the Woman's Auxiliary were there, I could tell by the tight black pants and the puffy ski coats. I made my way over too automotive and picked up two quarts of oil and thought about heading towards the front when I saw Big Earl waving at me. I tucked the oil under my arm and headed in his direction. Big Earl bent down to shout in my ear "I have a deal for you"

I followed him though the swinging employee doors to shipping and away from the crowd. Around a stack of snow throwers all of them with a dangling yellow tag that declared it was the last one in stock. Big Earl went into the shipping office and I followed and there sitting in the office chair was one big stuffed teddy bear. Big Earl turned and said "I got to make this quick, you can have the bear at cost, it was a special order and when the lady saw how big it really was she didn't want it, she paid for shipping and if you buy it for cost it is yours." I put my hand out and we shook, Big Earl said we will settle up on it next time you come in.

You see I have been buying stuff animals for my number two granddaughter since her first birthday. Her mother my daughter told me that I have to stop unless I buy her something bigger then the last one. Last Christmas I searched and found the biggest bear but this one is even bigger. I picked him up out of the chair and carried him out to the Jeep, I had to push him through the passenger door to get him in and had a hard time buckling the seat belt. I went around and got in and backed out. I drove down Main Street and didn't even get a second look. After all who would think twice about a bear in a Jeep here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,415,879}

Video1100003-53_zpse09899f8.jpg

A CLEAN MISS I thought as I watched the grouse dip around a pine and not reappear on the other side. On Saturday afternoon it got warm enough for snow to melt on the roof of the cabin and the water dripped off to splatter on the wood deck. I had things I could be doing outside but Duncan looked at me and I looked at him and we shared the same idea at the same time, a walk in the woods. I open the gun cabinet up and had to make a choice between the double or the single, I pulled out the single and a box of number six's. Twenty minutes later and I pulled the Tahoe off to the side of the road and Duncan was out the door right behind me. I open the back door and took the shotgun out of the case and slipped on my vest over my coat. The bright red collar with the bell went on around Duncan's neck and no sooner did I slam the truck door close and Duncan was heading for the trail that went down to the old Christmas tree farm.

When I left the cabin the red needle on the bass thermometer was resting at thirty-six and there was hardly any wind. Sun was high in the sky but I am guessing at that. There was a glow where I figured it should be as I followed Duncan down the trail. I told the wife I was going out to look for a Christmas tree and she just waved at me and said OK. She was sitting at the kitchen table with her notebook out and lists of gifts and a pencil busy making check marks and small notations behind names. Just a few inches of snow and walking was easy, much better then the deep snow of last season when my neighbor Chuck and I had harvested trees. Of course on this day I was just looking, I will come back in a few weeks more then likely with Chuck and his pickup truck.

Just about when I was comfortable with my hat on just right and shotgun shells spread in my pockets so they would not rattle the first bird thundered out from the bottom of a scrub pine tree. The bird stayed low and I shot high. My excuse was I was not ready and even Duncan was caught by surprise as he jumped up trying to see where the bird flew off to. I spoke a few words of encouragement to Duncan and broke the shotgun open and caught the ejected shell as it flew up in the air. Old shell went into my pocket and a new number six was dropped in its place. Duncan patiently watched and waited for me to get my act together and finally I told him to "Hunt em up" Head down Duncan headed down the trail and this time I noticed he was giving the little trees a little more attention. This time of bird season we were all alone. Don't see to many bird hunters out in the woods after deer season.

Thirty-seven degrees on this day felt warm and soon we were off the trail and weaving our way through pines that were bare of snow but full of scent. Duncan was a few trees ahead of me when I heard a bird get up but never saw it. Duncan came back to me with his tail wagging looking back over his shoulder. I asked him if it was a bird and he barked once and turned back in the direction that I think the bird flew off to. I told him again to "Hunt em up" and we walked in the direction of the bird, I think. A few minutes later we came to the edge of the tree farm and in front of us towered blue spruce and a couple of naked maples. We turned and walked along the end of the tree farm as in the past I have found birds along the edge sunning themselves but not today.

We made our way back through the tree farm and I spotted a few trees that might be candidates for this year's tree. We did cross the path of one more bird and he is still flying today. Bird blew out of a pine tree right above my head and he had me corkscrewed into the snow before I could get a shot off that didn't have a chance. I did hit the top of a tree and had to duck my head as a shower of needles fell around me. Duncan looked at me and where the top of the tree was and where the bird flew and just kind of gave me a snort/bark shake of his head and flapped his ears at me. I think he learned it from Bud, it passes as a dog laugh here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,418,771}

• 10 months later...

updating this thread..

updating this thread..

October 7th 2015

DUNCAN WAS STANDING on a chair looking out the kitchen window and I could hear him whining. I had it penciled in that I was going to go fishing yesterday and when noon came it was a go for launch. Sun was shinning in an almost cloudless sky and the jumping bass thermometer hanging on the cabin wall was nudging seventy. Duncan wanted to go with but he always does. With the brown bag lunch in the cooler I was rolling down the driveway with the Puddle Humper in tow. I had the driver's window rolled down and a cigar burning in my right hand as I watched the digital temperature meter on the Tahoe’s rear view mirror tick downward. This was not good as I had gone from seventy to sixty-five in just a few miles.

I was headed to a small lake a few microwave towers away from the cabin. A pretty good little bass lake and not a lot of northerns. I was looking to catch a few fish for the pan and this usually is a good place to go to. As I drove I thought about fishing and was trying to think why I had not visited this little lake this summer. Then I saw traffic backed up ahead of me and I remembered why, road work. Six miles of orange cones and a narrow path between them. The driver in the truck in front of me liked to tap his brakes all the time which of course made me do the same thing. I finally cleared the orange barrels and put the Tahoe in to cruise and got to look around me. Leaves are yellow out this way and a few red Maples are mixed in. Been a week since I was out this way and the cool nights and shorter days are working hard to make Fall look like it is really here.

A couple of turns and a few passed towers and I turned off the black top to a gravel road and it meander through yellow leaves to the public access. A car was parked there and two guys holding guns were watching me as I drove up. One of the guys spoke and said "A nice day for fishing" and I replied "A nice day for hunting" As I jockeyed the trailer around the two guys went across the road and took a trail that I know leads back to another lake. A nice long walk was ahead of them as I have hunted it before. I got out of the Tahoe and the first thing I noticed it was windy, I mean WINDY. Not right there at the landing as I was on the lee side of the lake but as I looked up I could see tree tops swaying and you could hear that rushing roaring sound of wind going through leaves. It felt cooler to as I launched the Puddle Humper and parked the Tahoe.

I didn’t get too far away from shore before the wind caught me. Graph was telling me the water was sixty so that has gotten cooler then when I was last out. I put on a wind breaker over my heavy sweat shirt and started working the down reeds with a buzz bait. A couple of hits but no fish and I was on the move. I ran the boat over to the wind swept shoreline and putting the wind at my back I let it push me down the shore. The little lake always has had a good dock bite except I had a problem there as just about all the docks were sitting up on the shore. I switched over to a spinner bait and slow rolled it over the top of the dying weeds. I ducked into a little protected bay and ate a sandwich and planned my next move. The shore I wanted to fish was getting pounded by waves and I didn’t really want to go there and fight that. I was thinking of calling it a day when a northern hit my spinner bait right at the boat and we had a brief tussle. The northern lost as I brought him over the side of the Puddle Humper and unhooked him. He went back into the water and I dried my cold wet hands with a towel.

At least I was not skunked I thought as I started the outboard with the idea of hitting some slack water behind an island that is on the way back to the landing. I pulled in behind the island out of the waves and tossed the spinner bait back out into the chop. Third turn of the handle and I had a fish on, a few seconds later the fish was in the live well and I am thinking with a lot of potatoes it could be big enough for a meal. A few minutes later a second fish was swimming alongside the first and now I don’t need to peel so many potatoes. That was that, I headed to the landing and arrived at the same time as the guys hunting grouse arrived at their car. We exchanged HIYA’s and I told them I caught two fish and they said they missed two birds. They said they should have gone fishing and I thought that the brown dog at home is thinking I should have gone hunting here at Lake Iwanttobethere

• Thumbs Up 1

updating this thread..

updating this thread..

October 8th

GOOD DAY TO go fishing, but then this time of the year everyday is a good day to go fishing. Matter of fact on my secret calendar I have everyday penciled in to go fishing or bird hunting. Of course this calendar conflicts with the Honey Do List calendar that the wife watches. It is a good day to go fishing except it is drizzling some here and Sunshine Ray is forecasting a seventy plus degree day on Sunday, for sure that will be a fishing day. Yesterday I was busy all day but now that I am trying to remember what I did I can’t. Lot of little stuff where you set off to do one thing and get distracted doing something else.

I did spend time in the greenhouse as I had gone to town and went to the General Store. Big Earl had my order of special totes with locking lids that I had ordered to store my tobacco leaf in. They are special because they have a seal around the top which I need to store the leaf at just the right moisture content. I brought them home and stacked them in the den and loaded them up with hands of leaf that are ready to be aged and forgotten about. I had to go looking for Big Earl as he was not at the front door of the store but was back at the loading dock unloading a wagon of straw bales that Old McDonnell and brought to him. That time of the year when straw bales are popular with the ladies to do Halloween decorating. I had a clue that was where Big Earl was when I saw a guy trying to put a black plastic bag over a bay of straw on the sidewalk. His wife was watching and I over heard her making comments about how messy the straw was and they needed to put it in a bag. When he was done he tossed the now bagged bale of straw into the back of his pickup truck and just gave me a look and I shrugged my shoulders in return.

Part of my afternoon was spent looking for my wet and dry vac, my neighbor Chuck needed to borrow it. He had a little excitement over at his place. His wife has been doing a lot of canning and going through a lot of dish washing lotion that they have in one of them built in sink dispensers. Well to make a long story short yesterday she went to fill the dispenser with soap not knowing that the bottle had fallen off the spout under the sink. She had one of them big gallon jugs that you buy in the big city and was wondering why it was taking so much soap to fill the dispenser. That is when she noticed the soap oozing out from under the bottom of the cabinet door onto the floor. In a panic she yanked at the dispenser under the sink and somehow managed to dislodge the hot water line. By the time Chuck got into the cabin the kitchen now looked like an episode of I Love Lucy. Chuck needed the vac to clean up.

It did rain overnight and knowing that it was going to happen I did spend time in the garden late in the afternoon digging up more potatoes. Duncan was there to help me or so I thought. Most of the time he just laid on the ground and watched me dig potatoes and occasionally he would scratch at the dirt telling me I was missing one. I had a box that I was putting the tatters in and I was trying to get him to pick up the spuds and drop them into the box. It would be a great help if I could get him to do it and dang if he didn’t start doing it. The wife came out to check on progress and I leaned on my fork and proudly pointed out the new trick that I had taught the brown dog. The wife then asked me why there was a pile of potatoes on the deck. Seems that not all the potatoes were going in the box and Duncan was storing his own here at Lake Iwanttobethere

October 9th

October 9th

SOMETIME YESTERDAY FALL arrived here at Lake Iwanttobethere, I know the calendar says it has been here for a while but... I ran into town yesterday afternoon and the first sign that Fall was officially here was at the end of my driveway, it was covered in pine needles. I made the turn to head to town and the young maple tree had green lower leafs but the top was red, another sign. On the way in I could see the waters of the lake as leafs have fallen from trees and now cabins along the shore are visible. Pontoons pulled up and covered in blue tarps and docks stacked in piles. I even saw a lady out raking leaves, I don’t know why. She must be new here and has know idea what is yet to come.

The day was damp and I came on a stretch of gravel road and spotted Frank the plow driver in his grader coming my way. I slowed down some and watched as he had the blade down and was moving more yellow leaves then gravel alongside the shoulder. Should have had my camera with as the big yellow grader was almost invisible against the backdrop of yellow leaves on the ground and still in the trees. I gave him a wave and he gave me a nod of his head in return. Next sign of Fall was just around the corner as I came around to find a little SUV parked in the middle of the road and a couple with a camera standing in the road taking pictures, The LEAFERS have arrived, that is what we call the tourist who come to the lake to take pictures this time of the year.

I was on my way to the General Store to see Big Earl once again. I had ordered a new ceiling light for the kitchen and it was in. The project for the day was to get the light installed and what should be a quick job will no doubt turn into an adventure. Did I mention that the wife does not want a new light but wants me to fix the old one? I picked up the light and decided I would stop at the Lodge and check in. I parked out back and entered through the side door to find the place quiet. A couple of people sitting near the window looking at the back of a camera with empty chili bowls and half drank beers in front of them, LEAFERS.

Gus was behind the bar wiping down some square bottom beer mugs and when I came in he looked over the top of his glasses and said HIYA. I returned the greeting and sat down on a stool. The mail was sitting on the bar and Gus pushed a small pile of it in my direction. Gus looked at me and asked "Beer" I nodded my head yes but told him just a small draft. Gus then stood up and made a grand gesture like he was a model on the Price is Right and said "Foreign or Domestic" I looked at him like he had lost it and said "What are you talking about" Gus told me he was rotating beer in the cooler and found a six pack of Molson’s, he has no clue where it came from or how old it is but can’t sell it if no one knows about it. He then pulled up the six pack missing two cans from behind the counter. "Sold two eh!" Gus nodded and pointed over at the LEAFERS sitting by the window.

The installation of the ceiling light was not a big deal, it was about as bad as I thought it was going to be. Of course I was just about done when the wife told me she wanted it in a different place but that was not going to happen. I later heard her on the phone talking to her mother that the light is now so bright in the kitchen she will no longer have to go outside for her vitamin D. That put a smile on my face, maybe tomorrow I will put the bulbs that are supposed to be in it, in it here at Lake Iwanttobethere

October  10th

October  10th

GOING TO TRY something today that I have not done in years. I am going to change the oil on the trucks when it is not a cold fall day. A little overcast out but there is a good chance that it is going to hit seventy out and that is outside! That is the plan, but most of my plans don’t always pan out. Yesterday I went into town to the recycle center and emptied my five gallon can of used oil, something I have been meaning to do for awhile. Can’t change oil unless I have someplace to put the old oil. Next stop was over to the General Store for three jugs of oil and some filters. A little sticker shock there as even though the price of gas has fallen the price of motor oil has stayed right up there.

When I was at the General Store I browsed the store some and back in the corner where Big Earl has his seasonal sales I checked out the new banner hanging from the ceiling. Bed, Bath and Bullets it said. I didn’t go and look I figured Big Earl was trying to get the lady hunters back there. I did buy a big bag of Halloween Kit Kat’s I figured that with all the crawling under the trucks I was going to be doing I should be properly rewarded. I also needed to refill the small cooler that I have in the Tahoe. I will say one nice thing about this fall weather and the cooler nights as I am back to hiding soda, Twinkies and Ding Dongs in the old cooler and they stay cold. I have to keep restocking as the number two granddaughter knows about my stash and if I don’t share she will tell Nana.

Speaking of the granddaughter her mother my daughter called me this morning with a small problem. She woke up this morning needing to feed her cat and could not find the bag of cat food that she knows she bought when shopping last night. She started back tracking where the cat food might be and figured it still must be in the car so she yelled at her husband to get out of bed and go get it. His reply was that he brought it in, no wait it is on the front porch. The daughter went to go out the front door and found four raccoons trying to drag the bag of cat food away. Dogs were called for and they raced out the front door to confront the bandits only to stop dead in their tracks when they saw they were out numbered. Son in law came outside to find out what all the racket was about as three raccoons created a diversion as the big one continued to tug at the bag. With the raccoons out number now they gave up on the bag and waddled now the street. The daughters dogs not chasing but barking what sounded like "And don’t come back"

They all returned inside the house with the bag of cat food to find the cat patiently waiting at his empty food bowl, typical cat. Tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer and may be the last time we see a seventy degree day for several months. I plan on going fishing with the youngest daughter. We may not catch any fish but sitting in the boat in tee shirts and shorts will be a nice way to close out the season here at Lake Iwanttobethere

20151008_065832_resized_1_zpset1cl56y.jp

RAIN

RAIN

RAIN IS ON its way here at Lake Iwanttobethere this morning, already a few drops have fallen. I know this as I was just outside putting the Puddle Humper battery on the charger. A pretty nice day to go fishing yesterday and seeing how it is the middle of October it might actually have been considered and excellent day except for the wind. But when the temperature is eight-four out a little wind is actually welcomed. Today the red needle is stuck on fifty-five, a big change from yesterday. Rain in the forecast and strong winds with gusts up to forty. If there are any leaves that are ready to let loose they will be coming down today. Already my deck has curled yellow leaves on it and when I was out hooking up the battery charger I put the small tarp on the Puddle Humper to keep some of the leaves off. Not ready yet to put the boat away as I see there is still a chance for a couple more sixty degree days and if it is sunny and not to much wind I may get the boat wet yet again.

I did get two out of three truck's oil changes in and I would have gotten all three if the wife had not taken the Jeep to town. She was running low on sugar and if I want apple pies.. Well I didn’t say anything as she drove off, a good excuse not to crawl under the Jeep. Fishing was pretty good yesterday. My youngest daughter went and I like it when she goes as I don’t get my feet wet. I have written before how she does all the work for me and as I was watching her load the Puddle Humper on the trailer last night I made the comment I should have taught her how to do this when she was ten. Three bass were caught along with nine northerns Even before we started fishing we had modest goals for the day. Not getting skunked was number one on the list but just being able to go fishing in tee shirt and shorts made the day before we even started. The shoreline around the lake was in full fall color and the daughter took pictures as we worked the dying reeds.

The daughter did lose a nice bass at the boat. She was fishing a Hula Popper and fought the fish right to the boat before it came undone. She had a few comments that I can’t print here but let us say she was really into fishing at that moment. She has caught two twenty inch bass this year and this one she lost was not that big but pretty close. I did not make to many comments about her lost fish, I will save them for the middle of winter. I on the other hand landed my three bass and I was just about able to close out the night with another one. I had a decent bite and a good pull by a bass that came all the way to the boat only to open his mouth and let go off the five inch grub he had in his mouth before I could reach down and lip him. The daughter said nothing and I looked at her and the missing fish and we both laughed. I already know that she will be yanking my chain come the middle of winter about the fish I lost.

With the sun getting low we or I should say she, loaded the boat on the trailer and we headed home but not till we stopped at a Dairy Queen. The daughter bought me a cone and we sat in the parking lot and watched other trucks hauling boats drive thorough with the same idea we had. A nice way to end the day and maybe the fishing season here at Lake Iwanttobethere

colors_zpssu1wi6ho.jpg

THE DAYS

THE DAYS

THE DAYS ARE getting shorter as I don’t seem to have as much time as I need to do things around the cabin outside. Making that transition from summer to fall is always hard but I think the loss of daylight affects me the most. If I wait for things to warm up outside the day is almost done before I even start. Today I got out the leaf blower and tried to move some of the leaves away from around the Puddle Humper. I at least cleaned the carpet off and was glad I put the small tarp over the cockpit area. I could go ahead and start unloading it but I am holding out for maybe getting it wet one more time. I don’t know why I am holding out the last trip out with the daughter was on a tee shirt fishing day in October, they don’t come very often and I don’t think we are going to see another one this year.

Last of the tomatoes need to be picked and then I have to start emptying all the buckets of potting mix and put things in storage. Shop needs to be cleaned out and rearranged to make room for the thirty buckets and there must be at least another twenty planters. Pepper plants in pots will go into the greenhouse so I will get another month out of them before I have to pick. Carrots are still in the ground and I have a few rows of spuds to dig up. Everything needs to still be tilled and I am hoping I can hold on and get some leaves to mix in when I do it. Raspberries need to be cut back and strawberries covered. The more I keep typing the more work I keep making.

Then of course we are now getting into prime bird hunting here at the lake and that means we are done working by three so Duncan and I can get a few hours in the woods together. Yesterday was not a bird hunting day as the winds were rearranging the furniture on the deck and sending waves of leaves across my yard into Elmer’s. Some sun trying to break through now and things are drying up so I know Duncan and I will be taking a walk later this afternoon. The two of us have yet to see a bird but now with some leaves down I have a few places that are always good. I know we will be having some grouse for dinner sooner or later.

I did pick apples yesterday, the tree is full making up for last years lack of harvest. I think I had all of eight apples on the tree last year and the granddaughter named each one of them. This year the first thing I did was pick apples so we could have Deer pie. I refer to it as deer pie because I picked the apples that hang out over the fence and are the ones the deer come and eat first. This year I got to them before the deer could. Not to worry though there was several apples that I tossed over the fence that had fallen from the tree on to the ground. So far the wife has made up eight pies, I caught Elmer over yesterday trying to trade in a empty pie pan for a full one. He left empty handed but I am sure he will be back later and the wife will give him a pie.

I do see a lot of pies in my future though and apple sauce and of course the mother in law makes these little pastries filled with apple as long as I bring her the apples. With any luck supper later this week will be grouse breasts, home fries with garden onions and beans, fresh bread right out of the oven and maybe my neighbor Chuck will have some of his cider done by then. A jug will probably cost me a couple of pies but I am apple rich this year here at Lake Iwanttobethere

red1_zpslq3unhqc.jpg

Budget Report

Budget Report

END OF SUMMER budget report was delivered last night here at the cabin. In attendance was myself, the wife and the brown dog. I am happy report that we are showing a budget surplus at the end of the current fishing season. I was sitting at the table in the kitchen with an empty plate with just a few crumbs from a rather large slice of apple pie in front of me, The wife sipping from her tea cup looked over her glasses at me a few times and Duncan the brown dog laid at my feet giving me support. There were no major or for that matter minor expenditures on the Puddle Humper or on the trailer. Batteries, graph, tires and trolling motor have all been replaced in recent budgets and there was no need for any repairs or upgrades.

Fishing rods and reels were not a line item although I did take a hit on spinnerbaits this fall but their replacement will be addressed in next season budget. The Tahoe other then an oil change also was in the plus column as gas prices came down and stayed down. With all the rain of the past summer car washes were also with in budget. Number of fishing trips were down which was reflected in costs but that extra gas money savings has now been moved to the fall grouse hunting budget. A little extra was spent on pictures as the daughters two big bass were added to the den wall along with my neighbor Chuck’s big northern.

The new roof on the boat house was brought up but I told the wife that did not come from the fishing budget but from the cabin maintenance budget, there was some objection there but she let it go. I merely pointed out that the expansion of the garden had come not from the garden budget but from the landscaping budget which she is the chair of. Freezer is not full of fish but there are several meals of fish that with a lot of potatoes will last well into winter. I also hope that a few grouse dinners will be had an if Edd and Eddie the squirrel's cousins keep hanging around there will be a nice squirrel stew on a Saturday afternoon here soon.

Some additional savings were made this year in the fact that I never had to use any hand warmers this fall nor did I use much bug spray. I dank more bottled water this season for some reason and the price of Kit Kats has remained the same. I ended the meeting making the point that being plus in the budget is bad as it means I did not fish enough and offered a resolution that I will try and be deep in the red next fishing season here at Lake Iwanttobethere

October 18th

October 18th

AT THE RESORT this morning, came up to watch the football game at noon as we have better reception up here. I did make a stop on the way as I drove over to Old McDonnell’s farm in the Dodge. Duncan was riding shotgun and he reminded me of a young Bud as he sat on the passenger side of the bench seat watching the side of the road as we drove slow. No grouse out sunning themselves this morning but then again there was some traffic on the road as we came up on a few other grouse hunters. I gave either a nod of my head or a finger wave as we passed and Duncan would stand up on the seat to get a better look. When I left the cabin the jumping bass on the thermometer on the siding was pointing at forty-five, I don’t think we are going to come any where close to the eighty-four of last Sunday.

Blue sky and not a cloud in sight, some wind but not much. The past couple of nights we have gotten our first real taste of colder weather. Lake Iwanttobethere has done her job keeping us warm but it was to much and the temperature has dipped into the twenties over night the past few nights. On the ride in to McDonnell’s I was keeping an eye on the road and watching my side for any birds. Box Elder trees are all but bare of any leaves and the red maples are already losing color and leaves. Popple are dropping leaves for any reason and you can see a ways into the woods now. I picked up butter and milk and a couple of bales of straw for the garden at Old McDonnell’s. I had to wait a couple of minutes for him as he was directing a young couple to his corn maze. Duncan was eyeing a chicken that was walking around till I told him NO and then he just came me a look like a little kid that was told he can’t have any fun.

I came in the back way to the Resort and it was quiet, I was surprised no one was bird hunting on a nice day like today. I was driving slow and it was a good thing as out of no where two ATV’s popped up from one side of the ditch onto the road, across and back down the ditch on the other side. I don’t even think they saw me and the red Dodge. I stopped on the road where they had crossed and saw they were on a seldom used trail, don’t know if they were just on a ride or were bird hunters. Told myself and Duncan that is why we drive slow so we can look out for ATV’s and maybe a few grouse.

So now I am in booth number one here at the RESORT, the milk and butter is in the cooler and I have my laptop out jotting this down. Lot of leaves down here and they cover the deck and you have to brush them off the chairs before you sit down. Hammering Hank and Skinny have pulled up two of the docks and the rental boats are empty and laying upside down on the shore. Just the one dock out with Vic’s boat tied up alongside. Should not be to long before that too will be put away as Mark the mailman and Jessie the paperboy will be done delivering by water. Another summer has come and gone here and the lemonade in my glass in front of me seems to be all that is left.

Football game starts in an hour, time enough to post this story and maybe Duncan and I will take a walk back by the big garden. Vic said he say a couple of grouse back there going through it. With the sun up high and no wind we just might be able to sneak up on them and maybe give Vic something to cook up for half-time. What, it could happen, we are after all here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Change of Plans

Change of Plans

CHANGE OF PLANS yesterday as I was going to take the Puddle Humper down to the car wash in town. By the time I got around to it the bass thermometer on the wall had climbed up to sixty-seven and there was not a breath of wind so I had a change of plans, I went fishing. One of those spur of the moment's decisions as I still had the boat loaded and a full tank of gas in the Tahoe and what the heck it was a nice day. I grabbed the brown bag lunch from the fridge and checked in the Tahoe to see that I still had a couple cans of soda and some Ding Dongs that the granddaughter had not eaten and I was on the road.

For some reason I decided to head north, normally I would head south as the days grow shorter that is where the water should be warmer. I had a cigar going and the window rolled down, the lake I had in mind is out of the way even for up here. I came off the black top with another ten miles of dirt road to drive on and the first thing I noticed was just about all the leaves are down. As I drove I was thinking I might have to come back up this way with the brown dog. Arrived at the lake and there was just a tad of wind and it was still in the upper sixties. Launched the Puddle Humper and turned on the graph, forty-eight degrees it said the water was, I would have liked it to be a little warmer.

Reeds are all dead and the shoreline is brown, no leaves on the trees but the evergreens were a deep rich green. I could hear the sound of logging going on somewhere over on the West side of the lake. Was not to long after that I saw an eighteen wheeler going down the road with a load of wood. This lake is small, less then two hundred acres and I have been fishing it for years. Was a real good bass lake but then the northern took over and now it is slowly coming back as a bass lake again. Goes to show you how old I am getting as I can remember the changes. I slowly work a shoreline tossing a big spinner bait with a five inch grub on it, looking for big fish not little ones. My first goal is to not get skunked but I have a few others. I was thinking I have been fishing this little hidden lake for more then thrifty years. Two of the guys I used to fish it a lot have past away so when I fish this little lake I think of them still sitting in the back.

I come around a little point and a half dozen geese get up, They are none too happy they did not hear me coming and they take to wing their honking echoing in the small lake making it sound like there are more of them then what there is. I grab the camera but they fly away from me not giving me a shot. I have been fishing just long enough to raise a doubt if I am going to get skunked when I set the hook. A bass hits the spinner bait like a freight train hitting a hay wagon at a road crossing. Not much doubt I have this one as I work the fish to the boat and lift her over the side. Her big eyes watch me as I weigh her and make her pose for a picture before sliding her back into the water. Nineteen and three quarter inches she was and I write it down in my little red fishing book. Doc and Jerry my fishing buddies would have been jealous that I am still catching fish on our little Lake Iwanttobethere

fall19.75_zpsdnyi3dsw.jpg

birch%20line_zpsrz0meaym.jpg

APPLE PICKING

APPLE PICKING

PICKING APPLES CAN be a dangerous business, I found that out yesterday. I don’t climb on the ladder to pick apples anymore since I got one of them apple pickers on a pole. The other day the granddaughter was here and she went up on the big stepladder and hand picked a box of apples for me. The wind was blowing and the tree was swaying a little but that just added a little adventure to it when you are almost nine years old. Her problem is she has long blond hair and the wind was blowing it around and it was catching in the branches. I suppose if she had slipped off the ladder she would have been supported by her snagged hair.

The apples that the granddaughter picked were used to make a test batch of applesauce and no sooner was it done then my daughter, the granddaughter's mother came over. The rest of the apples and the box went home with them along with half of the applesauce. There was some where in there a promise of some apple pie and an invitation to come over later in the week. Yesterday I had a hankering for apple sauce but my test batch was gone as the other daughter took care of what was left of the first batch. Against my wife’s better judgment I went out in the thirty mile an hour winds and got out the apple picker. Everyone likes a challenge and picking apples from a swaying tree can be a challenge. I was doing pretty good and I had a new box almost half full when I had a minor accident.

I was reaching up towards the top of the tree because we all know nothing good is easy to get. I was just hooking a nice big apple when the one alongside of it decided to give up its hold and let loose. Like a good baseball player following a pitch right into the glove I watched this apple fall from the tree to hit me square in the eye. I had both hands on the apple picker and moving never was a thought in my mind till the apple hit me in the eye. It stung a little, OK it stung a lot. I dropped the apple picker against the tree and put my hands on my knees. Duncan who was watching me picking apples from a safe distance came over to lick me in the face. I shook it off but decided that a half of box of apples was enough for apple sauce and took the box into the cabin. I told the wife about the direct hit by the knuckle ball apple. The wife checked me out and gave me a cold cloth to cover my eye and told me when I feel better I can start peeling apples.

With the apple sauce made and my eye a little sore but feeling better I went outside with Duncan. Duncan was running around the yard playing in the leaf covered grass as the big maple was shedding leaves in the strong wind. Dang if he didn’t stop on a dime and as I watched he started inches closer to the edge of the yard by the high grass. Doing that one foot a time very very slow walk till he froze. Well I have seen this before and I was in the cabin and out again with the double and a handful of shells. I dropped two in and walked quickly, for me over to Duncan’s side. I peered into the under bush and I didn’t see anything. I was standing close enough to Duncan that my knee was touching his side and I could feel him quivering, he was seeing or smelling something that was escaping me. I gave him a nudge with my knee and said something encouraging.

Duncan didn’t need to be told twice and he moved forward, from the other side of a stump a grouse blew up. In slow motion I raised the shotgun up and as I watched the grouse jump up into the air made a little dip to the left, open his or her wings wide and caught a gust of wind that blew her sideways in an instance. I shot where she was not where she is and before I could turn the bird was gone. Duncan jumped up on his hind legs to watched the bird and came down to turn and give me a look like a seasoned hunter that he is becoming. The look said "You Missed" and with that he turned and trotted back to the cabin. He was having nothing of me telling him as I pointed at my eye that it was not my fault, here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Rambo

Rambo

I HAD A sit down conversation with Duncan also known as the brown dog a few weeks ago out on the deck here. He sat at my feet and looked at me and tilted his head from side to side as I did most of the talking. I was explaining to him that I still had some fishing to get in and there was just to many leaves on the trees to be out grouse hunting. I made a promise that when fishing is done that we will get out or try to every day till deer season. I have been keeping my promise the past week or so as we have been out on a few trails and at the very least at sundown we take a walk on the back trail here at the cabin.

Now the wind has not been exactly cooperating with us this last week as we have been having some steady strong winds and some gust in there that would carry you away. We did manage to score on a couple of birds and the wife cooked them up and it was a tasty meal, at least for me. The wind although bad for hunting has been good in knocking down the leaves as just in the past few days the yard is now covered in them. This brings me up to a certain grouse that I have been seeing just on the edge of my property that seems to have some sort of mystic powers. I can’t hit the dang thing. I think I have shot at that bird four times and have missed four times.

My neighbor Chuck was out yesterday afternoon and I took the path over to his place to chat some. Mostly I went over there to give him a hard time about the last few times that I have been out fishing and he has not. He did tell me that he has managed to get out bird hunting a few times and as we chatted we discovered we were talking about a certain bird. Chuck told me he has shot at this one bird three times and swears he hit it once. He went on to tell me he has given this bird a name, Rambo. Because he swears he shot this bird and it came down on a stump and as he watched the bird turned its head and plucked out a bb from its shoulder and spit it back at Chuck.

I nodded my head with him as we have seen stranger things then that, I agreed that his Rambo might be the same bird I have been shooting and missing. I also noticed that Chuck was drinking some of his hard apple cider he had brewed. Still it made sense to me as a couple of years back I had a squirrel that I called Wonder Woman as every time I shot at it I would miss. The squirrel would sit up on its haunches and cross his front paws just like Wonder Woman did or does with her magic bracelets.

With fishing done for me this year I have started to unload the Puddle Humper. Rods are in the den hanging from the ceiling rack and tomorrow I will start putting tackle boxes in storage. Yesterday was another windy day and overnight we did have some rain which made the leaves heavy and ready to fall. I did spend some time sitting on the deck just watching leaves fall. I always wonder what makes them just give up and let go. I was also thinking that I am going to have to get the leaf blower out so I can assist some of the leaves to leave my yard and find a winter home over in Elmers yard. Duncan and I did go take a walk but we saw no birds. I thought I did see a bird behind a blue spruce and it looked like it had a red bandana on its head, I shook my head to clear it and I think it was really just a red maple leaf and my sore eye might be playing tricks on me here at Lake Iwanttobethere.

Dreary

Dreary

A DREARY DAY here at Lake Iwanttobethere today, at least that is how Sunshine Ray described it in his morning forecast on KCUM radio. I think the brown dog would agree as he is under the deck here at my feet licking his feet. We both were outside briefly, me to go down to the dock and get the mail and Duncan to do his thing. Some light rain falling and it feels cold as I did not grab a hat. I stood for a while under the boat house roof and waited for Duncan to finish inspecting the bare garden. Yesterday was a pretty decent day, not real warm but warmer then what it has been. The big thing there was just a little breeze and there was sunshine. Together they can make a cool fall afternoon very comfortable.

The wife and I spent most of the afternoon outside working in the gardens. I went after the big garden and the wife cleaned up her flower beds. The last row of potatoes were dug and I was a little disappointed in the yield. Not in the best spot and they gave up some small potatoes that with a lot of fish will make a couple of meals. With the garden all cleaned up I got the tiller out and broke up the ground. The straw bales that I got from Old McDonnell’s farm were spread on the strawberry patch and the wife pruned the raspberry bushes. Sunflowers were cut down and the heads left out for the birds to come and snack on. Still have my two rows of tobacco leaf standing tall, they are still green and appear to still be growing. I think I am going to cut a few down and hang them and see what happens. The others I am going to leave in the ground and see if they die off and if the leaf will cure on its own.

Another box of apples was picked and I didn’t hit myself in the head this time around. Leaf blower was gassed up and I blew the deck off and around the Puddle Humper. The sound of my leaf blower joined in the chorus of small engines that have been running all afternoon. With a lot less leaves on the trees to absorb the noise you can hear the sound of chain saws, leaf blowers, lawn mowers and weed wackers echoing across the waters of Lake Iwanttobethere. One thing I did not hear was the sound of any outboard motors and I looked several times out at the lake and saw no one fishing.

Around five or so Duncan came to the garden and gave me that look of his. I looked at him and he looked at the back trail and back at me. I looked at the wife and she looked at the dog then back at me. I looked at the trail then at the dog and back at the wife. The wife just said "GO." I put the rake I had in my hand up against the fence and a few minutes later Duncan and I were stepping of the yard grass to the back trail. You could tell with the first step that the wind had done its job. The trail was now deep in yellow leafs and there were places that you almost had to wade knee deep through them. The quiet walk was not going to happen today as with each step there was that rustling noise. Even Duncan plowing through the chest deep leaves for him was making noise. Watching the brown dog go through the leaves I think he was actually enjoying himself. An unstoppable force as he plowed through the piles only stopping from time to time to drop his head out of sight and then come back up to snort out what ever he was smelling.

No birds were seen, not to surprising we were not exactly very stealthy. The walk back to the cabin is always quicker then the walk going out and we hit the yard grass as the shadows were getting long and there was a little cool in the air. I had a passing thought I should pack a flashlight in the bird vest so I don’t get caught in the dark on one of these trips. As I was walking to the deck I saw a flash of headlights over at Chuck’s place and the unmistakable sight of trailer lights behind his pickup. I took the path over and Chuck was just unhitching his boat trailer. He had better luck then me as he had caught a fish for dinner. I told him no birds but I did find a cucumber in the garden here at Lake Iwanttobethere

That Time

That Time

THAT TIME OF year when it gets dark, it gets dark fast. Was at the RESORT yesterday, came up for the football game and stayed to take Duncan for a hunt out back. A nice fall day and on the ride into the RESORT you could see a ways back into the woods. The last week has really done a number on the leaves as there was far more of them on the ground then in the trees. I watched the game in the Great Room with Elmer and Vic and Dock Burriem. Marv showed up at half time and we all sat around the TV with the windows cracked open and a small cloud of smoke from our burning cigars hanging over our heads. If I was home it would just be me and the brown dog and I might make a few comments from tine to time but with the guys the chatter between us is half of the afternoon's entertainment.

With a win under our belts we scattered. Vic and Dock headed out to Vic’s boat to row a few strokes off the dock and drop a couple of lines on a brush pile that may or may not hold some crappies. Marv went to the kitchen and Elmer said he would hold down the fort as he watched the next football game with a glass of hard cider close to hand. Duncan and I, well we went out to the Tahoe and I slipped on my orange vest and donned a cap and with some shells in my pocket we took a walk back to the big garden.

Bird hunting this season has been kind of slow, I thought it was just me but from talking with the guys it has been slow for everyone. The dumb birds were gone after the first few weeks and now all that is left is the older ones who didn’t get here by sitting around waiting for a hunter and a brown dog to walk up on them. The other day Chuck told me I was welcome to come over and walk his trails, seems he has been watching three covey of birds this summer and had some high hopes for good shooting this fall. But, there is always that word. It seems the fox that has snacked on a few of his chickens has also done a number on the coveys as in his trips out he has seen none of the summer birds. With that in mind Duncan and I took our time walking back towards the big garden where the corn was still standing.

I walked the ATV path back and it was pretty quiet, a lot of pine's trees back there and the fallen needles are much quieter to walk on then the dried leaves. A distant crow could be heard and for awhile a ground squirrel barked at me. I was thinking of wasting a shotgun shell in his direction but he must have saw that I was serious and shut up and didn’t move from his branch. I could feel him watching my back as I moved on. Duncan was hunting, he knows as soon as the vest goes on we are looking for birds and he has gotten pretty good at this. Good genes I think as I have not really spent a lot of time teaching him. Of course we did have a couple of seasons with Bud and Duncan learned from the old dog. Bud would have liked hunting back here, easy walking and good sight lines.

I came up on the edge of the standing corn and Duncan went down the first row, I went down the fence line just in time to see two birds run out of the corn with heads stretched out making that peeping sound. Two easy shots as they took off and flew right in to my pattern. Duncan charged through the corn at the sound of the shots and two more birds got up and thundered off. In my younger days I might have reloaded and got off a shot but to tell you the truth I was pretty happy with the two I already had knocked down. One bird I just winged and he was trying to run away but Duncan ran him down and brought him to hand. The two birds felt warm in the back of the vest as we walked in the direction of the two that flew away, Guess there are still a few dumb birds left here at Lake Iwanttobethere

October 27th

October 27th

A LOT OF light out today even though there is a cloudy sky and you get a hint where the sun is by a bright spot in the sky. It seems brighter out because it dawns on me that there is a lot fewer leaves hanging from the trees. I don’t know why I have been writing so much about falling leafs here at Lake Iwanttobethere, must be because we are making an effort to get out for a walk with Duncan every day. I think we got some rain overnight as everything is wet today. I should get the mower out with the bag and mulch up some of these bigger piles of leaves that I can’t blow into Elmer’s yard. Will take the bagged leaves and dump them in the big garden and if the weather holds I will get the tiller out and bury them in the ground.

Not much going on up here, The time I would spend working in the gardens has been replaced by expanding my reading time. Granddaughter number two is having her ninth birthday here in a week and I bought her the first three books in a series of eight. She has become a big reader and is chewing up kid's books at a couple a week. I started to read the first book so when she reads it she will have someone to share it with, dang if I just didn’t go ahead and read all three of them in the past four days. The books are the adventures of Artemis Fowl a twelve year old master criminal who deals with fairies, something I thing she will like. Thing is I have gotten hooked on the books and now will have to go to Marv’s Bookstore and see if he can order me the rest of the series. I will read them and give them to the granddaughter for a Christmas present. They might be a little hard for her to read but will be something her dad can read to her.

Been dragging my feet putting the Puddle Humper away but Stormy Clearweather is calling for snow later in the week. Not a big storm but nevertheless enough may fall to cover the ground and make leaves wet. This afternoon I am going to go ahead and pull everything out and put the winter cover on. The clock will then start ticking for next season's opener. Unless of course I get side tracked by something else. There is one sucker minnow left in Elmer’s minnow bucket, I know this because I checked this morning when I went down to the dock to get mail. If the wind stays blowing off shore I may borrow the minnow and toss it off the dock here under a red and white float. Who knows maybe I can get a northern to pick it up and give me a supper fish.

Tomorrow Duncan and I are going to go on a little road trip as it is time to make a trip to the hunting shack, better known as the Hotel. Getting to be that time of year as deer season is not that far off. Will take the trail down to the swamp and see if there are any dumb birds down there. I do have a feeling that there will be a lot of water so I am going to leave the boat launching boots in the Tahoe. Normally I would wait till the swamp freezes up but it has been a mild fall so far. Yesterday afternoon I along with Duncan took a ride in the Ranger on Chuck’s back trails. Duncan didn’t seem to interested in anything and I think Chuck may be right, the fox has gotten his grouse. Not really a bird hunting trip but we are counting it as one here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Da Root

Da Root

NO ROAD TRIP today, it is raining I just got back from town having to go down and pick up bacon and bologna from Ma and Pa’s Grocery. The wife told me yesterday I was out of sandwich fixings for today. I knew the rain was coming but I was hoping it was just going to be around the lake but it seems to be a far flung system. A day of sitting around the cabin would be welcomed as my knee is sore, partly from the weather and partly from yesterdays walk. I spent time working on the Puddle Humper, well not really working as I never consider anything having to do with fishing as work. I fogged the outboard and put into storage all the things that are kept hidden and out of sight in the boat. The small tarp was put on to keep the leaves out till it dries up and I can get the support poles in place for the bigger winter tarp.

I decided that Duncan and I should take a walk and we got in the Tahoe and drove to a trail I know of just a couple of songs on the radio away. I drove up and turned the windshield wipers off, it was not raining there was just that many leaves falling. A lot of maples on this trail and sometimes a dumb grouse will come and be where he should not be. Duncan waited patiently for me as I put on the orange game vest, made sure I had shells in the pocket and found a pair of gloves. Was a little cold on the hands as it was damp and there was some wind. Duncan was prancing some on the maple leaf covered shoulder and didn’t need to be told twice to "Go Find Em"

I followed him down the trail and I was dragging my feet some, during the night Duncan had jumped up on the bed when I was sleeping and dropped down on my knee. Must have had it laying at a bad angle as his weight bent my knee enough to wake me up. I rearranged myself and didn’t think much of it till now. The knee was aching some but as I get older that is something that seems to and come and go with the weather. I was a good quarter mile down the trail when I did something stupid and lazy. I was dragging my feet like a little kid not wanting to go to school when I tripped. Did the slow motion fall to the forest floor turning on my side as I landed in the leaves.

I was OK, I rolled over on my back and went through the mental checklist. Legs are OK, didn’t hit my head, had a firm grip on the shotgun. I sat up and brushed leaves off and took my time getting up. Duncan was sitting in the trail waiting for me to catch up, I called him and he came to me and then sat down again and gave me a "What, taking a rest break already?" Look. I adjusted my hat and flex my fingers, guess I might have fallen on my arm. I took a couple of steps back kicking at the leaves with my foot till I found the maple root that I had tripped on, not much I could have done to miss it except pick my feet up. Decided to call it an afternoon, no sense in pushing my luck and today I am glad for a little rain and a excuse to not do anything. Little sore but nothing a day off won’t cure here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Video%2024%200%2001%2015-12_zpsi6mgzkoz.

Clerk

Just now, Bobby Bass said:

Clerk

STUCK IN A rut here weather wise, another day starting off with a gray cloudy sky, damp out and some wind blowing. Yesterday afternoon I was over at my neighbor Chuck’s place hanging over the side of his pickup truck exchanging manly talk. We talked of the almost cheap price of propane and the dropping price of home heating oil. Of course we did this as we looked over the overflowing pile of firewood coming out of Chuck’s wood shed. Grouse hunting was spoke of and we started making some plans for what needs to be done up at the Hotel this deer hunting season. I told Chuck I was down at our local Salvation Army outlet looking for some reading material. They do have a wall of donated books there and from time to time I stop and look over them.

I came into the store and there were signs all over the place advertising 50% off Halloween Classic clothing. Thing is most of the Classic clothing hanging under the signs was the same stuff I was wearing into the store. I looked over the books and didn’t see anything interesting. I walked over to the cooking section in search of pie pans, can never have enough pie pans. As I spoke Chuck nodded his head, he agreed with the never enough pie pan logic. As I came around the shelving were the glassware is displayed I found a very attractive gal working on the bottom shelf moving saucers. She was wearing a black and white camo pattern blouse and had big round brown doe colored eyes. Our eyes met and I had this thought go through my head that I wished I was about thirty years younger.

She stood up and I noticed she had an hourglass figure with a few extra minutes in the right places. Not wanting to lose the moment I managed to get out "Do you know where the pie pans are?" She smiled at me and reaching up she pulled out a yellow number two pencil that was holding up her hair. Her dark brown hair fell out of the bun with the pencil gone and cascaded down past her shoulders like a spring waterfall. She then took the pencil and pointed at a shelf behind me. I turned and spied two deep pie pans which I grabbed before an older lady who was ease dropping on my conversation could reach. I turned back to say thank you to the clerk but she was already walking away.

I made my way to the check out and paid for the pie pans, forty-nice cents each a good deal. I was also thinking I should come down to the store a little more often. I got into the Tahoe where I was parked nose to nose to another SUV I put on my seat belt and as I looked up the clerk who was not a clerk got in the SUV in front of me and flashed me a smile. I gave her a stupid grin back and I pulled out of the parking lot. I went left and she followed me out but turned right. I told Chuck this and we shared a sigh, "Yup, they don’t even see us any more Bobby, we are just old guys" I nodded but told him that this morning I had apple pie for breakfast and the wife made a comment on why I had a smile on my face. I might have been thinking about a certain clerk who was not a clerk but then again it could be because the wife makes good apple pie here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Time

Time

THE NEXT WEEK here might be the busiest week of the year for me here at Lake Iwanttobethere. Last night my neighbor scored on tickets to the local college hockey game, just cost him a couple of bottles of his Lake Iwanttobethere Maple Syrup in trade and while we were there and enjoyed the victory we managed to score on tickets for tonight’s game. Tonight is also Halloween but the grand kids are going to a party so will not be trick or treating. We don’t get many trick to treaters after dark at the lake anyway so the timing should work out. After the game we will stop at the Lodge to check in as tomorrow is the first and I take over my duties as the Lodge manager. We also have to turn clocks back tonight which is good because tomorrow granddaughter number two is having a kid's party. Football game is on at noon which I hope to watch somehow. Almost forgot about the football game today but I will have to listen to it in the Tahoe between running errands.

Monday and Wednesday Sunshine Ray is forecasting that we may hit sixty, Chuck still has not put his boat away so there may be a fishing trip in my future. But Monday is also my granddaughter birthday dinner and Wednesday night is the oldest daughter's birthday dinner. Somewhere in there I need to go to Ma and Pa’s grocery with our food list as this next weekend is the deer season opener. Did I mention I have to get up to the deer camp, better known as the Hotel to check on it? A few walks in the woods with Duncan are also on the schedule as once deer season starts he is not allowed out in the woods. Mail and paper delivery also stops tomorrow on the lake and now we will have to get our mail and paper from the boxes back down on the road. Guess I better add that to the to do list to make sure they, the boxes are in working condition. Mornings will be spent at the Lodge this next week then I go on vacation for deer season, I know it is a pretty tuff job right!

Raining here right now, nothing hard but enough to get things wet and keep them that way. Maples are still dropping leaves in my yard and with no wind they are not going anywhere. Sometime between now and the first snow I need to mulch them all up or hope for some wind to blow them into Elmer’s yard. Have been on the phone a lot talking with the guys from deer camp. As we get closer we start talking more. One of the reasons for the Lodge trip tonight is several of the guys will be there so we can talk altogether. I am not the only one who checks on the Hotel as the other guys also do during the summer and fall when they can. I have just not hunted any birds up that way this season so I have not been able to check the log book.

Of course with daylight saving's time ending the afternoons will be shorter. I always seem to have much more to do during daylight hours then I do after dusk. Elmer tells me I am to busy and I should be more like him. He actually looks forward to Halloween as he just puts a big bowl of Candy Korn that he has had for around twenty years out on his porch. He has a little sign there that says "HELP YOURSELF" and later that night he picks up the full bowl because no one ever takes any but instead the kids feel sorry for him and leave him candy bars here at Lake Iwanttobethere

• Thumbs Up 1

Vac

Vac

HAVE THE DRAPES open wide here at the Lodge this morning, letting in some rare sunshine. I was out on the deck here enjoying the fall view of Lake Iwanttobethere. The hill where we have the ice house fling is covered in yellow leaves and the parking lot below has cleared areas where the county is hauling in the orange barrels. Every fall the county stores their construction orange barrels down in the park. This morning several loads have already arrived and Hammering Hank is down there supervising, Skinny and him are working on stacking picnic tables and moving fire rings. The boat landing dock has been pulled up on shore and the pink fishing cleaning house has been power washed for the last time till next spring.

Gus has the week off and it is just me this morning, breakfast is toast and cereal as I don’t feel like firing up the grill. The few Lodge members who have come in this morning ask for Gus and when I tell them he is on vacation they just order toast, juice and Rice Krispies. If they are nice about it I offer them butter for their toast. One guy asked for a bagel, really a bagel, after awhile he just ordered some wheat toast. Honey Sauce will be in at nine so some guys are just holding off on their breakfast order. A few guys did order second glasses of OJ, they smacked their lips and said for some reason my orange juice is better then Gus’s. I just smiled and didn’t mention the few drops of vodka I put in the pitcher.

Yesterday afternoon I went to the Hotel after leaving the Lodge at noon, was not there a whole day as I think it is best if I ease back in to my job. Duncan came to work with me and he made himself comfortable on the couch in front of the Lodge’s TV. He was laying on the pillows for most of the morning only getting up to greet certain members. Only a few Leafers came in as most of the leaves around the lake are finally down. Anyway at noon Honey Sauce took over and Duncan and I took a ride up to the Hotel. The road into the place was wet and I had to be careful not to start making ruts. A couple of spots are going to need some fill and I started a list in my head of things to do.

I drove into the clearing and stopped, place looks good I thought as I turned off the engine and just looked for awhile. Duncan was up on his seat making whining noises till I open my door and he slipped past my legs like it was a race to be first one out. With tail up high he set off exploring and I followed. We walked around the Hotel looking for any damage and I finally climbed up the wood steps which I see need some paint and slipped my key into the padlock under the protective piece of rubber that keeps the weather off the lock. The door open smoothly and I stepped in to the kitchen and saw the flies.

Guess the warm weather has been good to them as there was more then a few of them buzzing my head trying to get out the open door behind me. I waved my hand in the air helping a few out and that is when I noticed movement on the kitchen window, Asian Beetles and not just one or two but bunches of them. The list in my head just got bigger as I was thinking we are going to need the shop vac here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Ring Tones

Ring Tones

I ARRIVED AT the Lodge this morning to find Honey Sauce already working in the kitchen. We exchanged HIYA’s and I asked her why she was in so early, she told me to many of the Guys were complaining that they are missing their morning flapjacks. They can get burnt toast and cereal at home from their wives. I acted offended and told Honey that I tried, she brought up the guy who ordered a bagel and instead I gave him wheat toast. "What, the toast is better for him" I replied but then Honey said I toasted the bread like it was a bagel, heating it on just one side. "So I put the toaster on bagel, I did kind of try" I said. We stood and looked at each other and I turned and went out into the Lodge proper, smiling to myself as now I will not have to worry about kitchen duties, Yup, I still got it.

A few members started coming in the door and making their way to the bar. Orders were taken as soon as they found out I was not doing any cooking and things were back too normal. Drapes were pulled back to let in the sunshine except there was no sunshine to let in. Another damp overcast day here at Lake Iwanttobethere. I made small talk with some of the guys and of course deer hunting is the number one topic followed by weather. There is some hope that it will cool down and this damp will become snow, maybe enough for tracking? Sunshine Ray is on the radio and he is calling for daytime highs to stay in the forties and maybe fifty on Sunday, if there is sunshine we will be in the stands in tee shirts, never a good thing for deer hunting here.

Yesterday my neighbor Chuck set out to go fishing but did not make it too far, he got a flat tire on his boat trailer and had no lug wrench the right size to get the tire off. Had to park his trailer on the side of the road and run back to the cabin for a lug wrench, by the time the trailer was ready to go the wind had come up and the afternoon was pretty much done. He is going to try it again this afternoon. I asked if he got the flat fixed and he told me no. I just shook my head at him and told him he is just asking for trouble. The odds of the other tire going flat are, well I can’t even figure them but they are high. He asked if I wanted to go out and I told him I have the daughter's dinner to make, her birthday today. OK so you have just read how I am not very good at making breakfast but tonight we will be having a fish dinner and everyone here knows how to cook fish, there is even a required grade school class on it here at Lake Iwanttobethere.

I was eyeing the clock as I will once again be gone by noon, shortly before that the FELLOWS showed up for lunch. They were all sitting at the big round table and Honey Sauce brought over a platter of conies and a big bowl of chili, their standing lunch order. Some were eating and Tiny was fiddling with his cell phone trying to change his ringer tone. Up here at Lake Iwanttobethere we like our outdoor ringer tones. Tiny was trying to change his from the grunting buck to something that will not attraction attention in the woods this weekend. I don’t have that problem as I was just going out the back door when my phone went off and the sound of a loon echoed in the parking lot here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Camp

Camp

LOOKS LIKE EL-NEATO has arrived early here at Lake Iwanttobethere. The thermometer here at the Lodge is nudging sixty and we have the windows open. A warm breeze from the South is making its way into the main room and it smells almost spring like. If I didn’t know better I think winter has already been here and gone. Then I see the heads sitting around the tables here and most of them are wearing orange hats. I am done working, well at least I have hung up my apron for the day and I am waiting on a few of the guys to come over. We are going to discuss deer our plans for deer hunting opener. Not really much to talk about that we have not already talked about a mess of times in the past month or so but it is good to double check.

My neighbor Chuck didn’t get out fishing yesterday, he mumbled something about having to do something when I talked to him this morning but he did go up to the Hotel and did a walk a round. He confirmed the swamp is full of water and if you are not planing on bring boots you better add them to your list. He did run into a couple of the guys from the camp on the other side of the swamp. They were out checking their trail cams and fiddling with a drone that had a camera on it. Our camp is not nearly as hi tech matter of fact we are not even low tech or even tech. We still run an old fashion traditional deer camp. We have a wood stove, propane for lights and coolers with a lot of ice. Our stands and trails all have names and even some of the big trees are named to be used as landmarks.

Most of us still wear wool under our bright required blaze orange and if it gets really cold we bring out coffee cans with charcoal that we light and keep under us in the stands. Rifles stand in the rack by the door in the Hotel and in our camp a good old 30/30 is the weapon of choice. Of course there are a few 308’s with scopes but here we are in the heart of the woods and shots are not often more then a hundred yards and most of the time they are half of that distance. Guys take turn splitting wood and if the creek is not frozen we take turns hauling water. Cell phones are kept in a wicker basket by the door and the only music in the place comes from a battery power radio with an antenna wire strung up in the trees.

Poker is played nightly and we always have steaks Saturday night. Bunks are made of plywood resting on dark aged old pine 2x4’s and covered with foam pads and sleeping bags that fit like a second skin. Mouse traps are set as they snap and the stove is stoked as needed. Every fish and hunting story is accepted as the absolute truth and no one ever goes home without a good story. Smoking is allowed and even light beer, but you will be teased if you are caught drinking it. I will be heading up tomorrow late afternoon. I have to make a stop at Ma and Pa’s to pick up our groceries and then over to The General Store for some boxes that Big Earl says he does not have enough room in his truck for.

Later this afternoon I am going to take Duncan for a walk out the back trail, the last bird trip for the two of us for awhile. He will be the wife’s dog here and I just hope she does not spoil him too bad while I am away at Deer Camp. Weather looks to be cool for a couple of days then sunny and in the fifties most of next week. Of course this is coming from Sunshine Ray who has been wrong in the past, well actually he has been wrong a lot in the past so for all I know a blizzard is on its way. Might be awhile before I post another story as I am really going to try and spend most of my time at camp this season. I have a mess of books to read and I am all caught up with my do list at the cabin so I should not be missed here at Lake Iwanttobethere

• Thumbs Up 2