• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishin report for Lake Iwanttobethere..

Bobby Bass

RAIN DAY HERE at Lake Iwanttobethere, every vacation should have a few rain days just so you have an excuse to get out of the boat and fix things. As I get older I seem to be the one that needs the break for fixings. Night before last I forgot to mention that I had brought home a couple of fish for dinner. I was getting the first one ready for the frying pan when I slipped with the knife and took a chunk off the tip of my thumb. Bled pretty good there for awhile so I ended up putting a carpenters bandage on it. That is where you put a band aid over the cut and then wrap the whole mess up with some duct tape. Yesterday before I went fishing the wife insisted on putting a more professional dressing on it but as soon as I left the cabin I wrapped it up with some green painters tape because I knew her professional bandage was going to come off when I was out in the Puddle Humper.

The new battery took care of the starting problems of the big motor which was good as I needed to run the motor several times fishing yesterday. I met up with my neighbor Chuck and we fished a lake that I had tried to get to earlier in the summer but was driven away from the landing by a swarm of wasps. Since it was a new lake to both of us so we brought two boats and Chuck took the North end and I took the South end. Chuck did much better then I did. After an hour all I had caught was one seventeen inch bass but did see the granddaddy of all bald eagles. It took off from a point just as I came around it and she was huge. I see eagles all the time but this girl was by far the biggest bird I have seen in a long time. The little lake we were fishing is shaped like an hour glass with a channel in the middle. The wind was coming right down it and the channel was a little choppy. I met up with Chuck just past the channel and we exchanged scouting reports, he had boated six bass and two pike to my one fish.

Chuck did have a good Pike beat him up, biggest pike he has seen for awhile and he said he had it up to the boat and was staring it eye ball to eye ball when the pike straighten the clasp on his leader and left him with a splash. He gave me the general area where he had hooked the big fish and then we traded ends of the lake. I did a little better throwing the spinnerbait in the upper end of the lake catching a couple of bass and a pike. Chuck did nothing on the lower end just like I did and he came back to the upper end of the lake to join me. At dusk the wind died and we started throwing buzz baits and I quickly boated two more seventeen inch fish and Chuck caught one. Snapped a few pictures and called it a night and we loaded the boats back on the trailers. Of course after we hauled the boats out of the water we leaned against the truck and talked till it got dark making plans for Thursday nights fishing.

Today a few rain drops have already fallen and some more showers are in the forecast. I have the battery in the Puddle Humper on charge and I need to do a little boat cleaning. Tomorrow we will head out to another lake and do it all again. I like this vacation fishing as the wife asked me about doing a few chores today and I simply pointed to the calendar where it is written in big bold letters VACATION. So the talley so far is 200 miles driven, one new battery, 14 bass , 9 pike with a 28 inch northern and a 19.5 bass as the big fish I have a modest goal of catching a 100 fish on my vacation here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,247,201}

The tape job

Video1200001-60_zps17c2d50a.jpg

HAD A GOOD day fishing yesterday but I had a feeling I was going too as soon as I got out of bed. Forecast was calling for an overcast day and temps in the sixties with almost no wind. In the past a fall day like what was forecasted called for buzzbaits and as I got the Puddle Humper ready for the road I tied on a buzzbait with a big clacker on it. Chuck was supposed to go with but had to bail so I was hoping for a good day just so I could rub it into him later. Actually was on the road right on schedule and as I drove north the overcast sky was above me all the way. Just before I made the last turn on the dirt road to the access I saw a grouse staring at me trying to figure out what I was at the same time I was trying to figure out if it was a grouse or not. As I drove slowly the grouse finally did his road runner imitation and ran across the gravel road and into the forest.

I parked the Tahoe and got out, made my inspection of the landing and saw deer prints in the sand, another good sign. I like fishing when there is some movement in the local wildlife. I never seem to do very good when it is quiet. Yesterday I saw a grouse, a deer on the shore some geese overhead and a lot of ducks, all good signs for me. The first hour of fishing was not so good, I was tossing the big buzzbait and I had only boated one pike and lost a football size bass. I was getting hits but mostly misses. I was thinking the buzz bait was not what they were looking for. By three I was on the base of a long reed point that sticks out into the lake I was fishing. I must have hit the buffet line as in the next hour I caught only one nice bass but did catch eleven pike. I went back down the other side and caught eight more fish. Twenty-one fish in just a couple of hours had me smiling that and the fact that I figured out they wanted a spinnerbait.

Next stop was a cove where I do good on bass and I was not disappointed as four bass all over sixteen inches fell for the big spinnerbait with the blue blades that I like to throw in the fall. With maybe twenty minutes of light to fish by I had to make a decision so I pulled up the trolling motor and went to fire the big motor up and nothing. Not good I had just replaced the battery and I was having problems. Easy fix though, somehow the motor was in gear, I took it out and turn the key and it started right up and I was on my way to the tip of the reed point. Five minutes after I was there I was admiring a three pound bass that fell for the blue spinnerbait and I had another decision to make. In the past there is a little hot spot on the lake that I have pulled fish out in the fall. I could either stay on the point or have enough light to fish the spot. I sat down started the motor and headed to it with the light failing.

Had a feeling I should give the buzzbait a try and sure enough the second long cast disappeared into a boil and a jumping fat three pound bass fought all the way to the boat. I took a picture and eased her over the side and decided that was as good as any way to call it an evening. This morning finds me a little sore as catching all them fish can be tiring. Will take a walk with Duncan over to Chuck's and let him know just what he missed by not going fishing. The battery is already charging on the Puddle Humper and I already told the wife I am going fishing today. Think I am heading back to the same little lake, might be a few fish there I didn't catch.

So the talley so far is 300 miles driven, one new battery, 2 smashed spinnerbaits 23 bass, 35 pike with a 28 inch northern and a 19.5 bass as the big fish. I am halfway to my modest goal of catching a 100 fish on my vacation here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,251,432}

Video1200005-48_zpsf1376d4b.jpg

THE THING ABOUT fishing or hunting for that matter is it is never the same every time you go. So having read that I am going to guess you are assuming that I went back to the same lake and did squat. Actually I did catch less fish then the day before but I still boated twenty-two fish and I will take that any fishing trip. Not as many fish as the day before but they were bigger this time around. Weather had changed, the water was still around sixty-two but I was fishing in shorts and just a tee short as it was a balmy seventy-six out with a warm south wind. I was not too happy about the wind but that is something you always seem to have with you when fall fishing.

The plan was to skip all the water where I didn't catch any fish the day before and head right to the big reed point where I did so good. I caught a few fish but it was pretty wind swept and boat control was an issue. I did catch a nice fat thirty-one inch northern that I dipped with the net and then had the fish trash the net and get himself so caught up in it that I was considering taking the clippers to it. I was shooting some video or so I thought but I had turned the camera off instead of on and then when I turned the camera off I really turned the camera on. This left me with seventy minutes of video of the floor of the Puddle Humper and a dead battery. So not many pictures of yesterdays fishing except I did get a picture of the nice bass I caught just shy of nineteen inches. Five bass came over the side of the Puddle Humper and the smallest one was sixteen inches and two and half pounds. No little bass at all but then I am throwing a big spinner bait with a big chunk of plastic that seems to be well liked by the bass and the pike this fall.

This morning I put the Puddle Humper's battery on charge and headed into town, needed to go to the Masterbaiters shop for some more plastic as I have gone through the three bags that I had on hand. While I was in town I took the opportunity to hit the car wash and turn the dust covered Tahoe white again. As I drove by the Lodge I saw the lot was pretty empty which is a surprise for a Saturday but then I saw that the landing was just about full of trucks and wet trailers. This may be the last chance for some to go fishing and it seems that a lot of guys are taking advantage of what is forecasted to be a very warm day. Still lots of leaves up and it is to warm to take the dogs out bird hunting so fishing or a round of golf is what it appears the Lodge members are doing today.

I also got a call this morning from granddaughter number two who told me she had the afternoon free. Soccer is done and no birthday parties to attend as she asked me if I would like to go fishing with her. I chuckled on the phone and told her I did have plans to head to the Resort and fish for crappies with Vic. She told me that was OK Vic can come to. I called Vic and asked if it was OK if the granddaughter came fishing with us and he grumbled some and finally said OK, I asked the wife to pack a third brown paper bag lunch and told her the granddaughter was going fishing with me and Vic this afternoon. Told her that Vic had given his OK but not with out a little complaining, "Why is that" the wife asked and I told her the last time we all went together the granddaughter out fished both of us, here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,252,855}

So the talley so far is 410 miles driven, one new boat battery, 2 smashed spinnerbaits a trip to the bait shop for more big blue trailers and a fish total of 80 which breaks down to 28 bass, 52 pike with a 31 inch northern and a 19.5 bass as the big fish. I am a good afternoon of fishing away from my modest goal of catching a 100 fish on my fall fishing vacation here at Lake Iwanttobethere

I know just another nice fat fall bass picture.

PICT1967_zps057da582.jpg

MORNING DEW COVERED everything here at the Resort this morning. I was not up at the crack of dawn but several hours after. I took a glass of orange juice and a cherry turnover that Marv had made yesterday out on to the back deck of the Clubhouse. I found a wood chair that was not to wet and sat down to enjoy a little early morning peace and quiet, it was anything but that. A flight or a pod or a flock or I just call them a mess of grackles had taken rest in a pine tree and they were louder then the local grade school outside for morning recess. A few crows flew in acting like the local traffic cops and cawed to the grackles to move on, you don't belong here. From the roof of the wood shop I could hear the cooing of morning doves acting like spectators at a car crash making soft comments but not quite loud enough to understand. After awhile the grackles moved on, they left the tree in groups of five's and tens and suddenly the whole tree got a lot lighter as the entire group just took wing and went well I don't know where they went they just left. I always wonder who is the leader of them groups and why they land when they do and take off on a whim.

Now it was quiet out and I could hear the click of the orange juice glass when I set it down on the table in front of me. Like I was saying the morning dew covered everything and it was calm out and the deer jumping the log thermometer had its red needle just above sixty. It felt a little warmer then that. I looked at the tree tops and they were still and the water of the little bay was quiet. I was just thinking about maybe getting up and getting a second turnover when I heard a shot, then another then a third. Someone was out grouse hunting and from past experience one shot could mean either a bird or a miss, two shots most likely a bird and three shots, well there is a good chance that a bird is still flying.

Wood screen door slammed behind me and I heard Vic talking to himself about having to fix that one of these days. He came over and eyed the wet chairs and looking over his glasses at me said morning, I nodded and said morning back at him. Like me he had a glass of orange juice and a cherry turnover wrapped in a piece of paper towel. Not seeing much of a difference in the chairs in front of him he sat down in the one across from me and sets his OJ down but not till he took a sip. "Quiet out here this morning" he said and I just nodded yes.

Yesterday afternoon Vic and I shared some time in the mail boat along with granddaughter number two, fishing. Actually I spent a lot of time just leaning back in my seat with my hat down low over my eyes enjoying the rocking of the boat and watching. The granddaughter did all the fishing and Vic was the first mate doing all the baiting and undoing hooked fish and having a great time of it. I did try to help but Vic would have none of it saying it was his boat and his job. I just relaxed and watched the two of them fish. When we ran out of bait we headed back to shore, Granddaughter steering the boat and Vic close to put his hand on the tiller if needed. We tied up and Vic handed the small fish basket to me to carry up the trail. He and the granddaughter started up in front of me but not till Vic turned to me and said "Thanks" I nodded and just waved at the granddaughter and holding up the fish basket I said " She is going to make us look good inside" here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,255,343}

TO HOT TO fish, never thought I would be saying that in the last few days of September here at Lake Iwanttobethere. I was sitting on the back deck of the Clubhouse trying to find a reason to go fishing. I was having a hard time as it was in the low eighties, hardly a cloud in the sky and a brisk wind was making it hard for even the crows to fly where they wanted to. There was a lot of yelling coming from the FELLOWS campsite as they were watching a football game that neither team that was playing were local favorites, but it was a football game so they were still watching. Having spent most of the last week fishing I was content to just sit and take in the smell of pine and watch colorful leaves fly across the deck. Every now and then a gust of wind would take the leaves and turn it into a Leaf out, so thick you could not see past them.

I was not the only one who thought just sitting was a good option for the afternoon. Chuck was up working in the pole barn but he came down to get something to drink and sat down and just never got back up. He asked me about going fishing and I told him maybe when the wind dies down some and I heard that there was a chance of afternoon rain. He nodded his head and told me that sounds like a pretty good excuse not to leave the shade of the deck. I had a lemonade in a big glass and ice cubes that were melting, normally this time of the year ice cubes could pretty much stay being ice cubes for a couple of hours but not today, today they were melting away.

Marv came out and sat on the deck and right behind him Elmer came out and pulled up a chair. We made small talk but we also did a lot of just sitting and watching leaves fall and listen to the sound of the FELLOWS yelling or cheering, we could not figure out which. Guys don't have much problem just sitting and not saying much. Around campfires or hanging over the sides of pickups we don't really need to have someone talking all the time. Winds started to die down some, I could tell because leaves were starting to gather on the deck around our feet. I was thinking maybe I should go out and fish a few hours, could get it in before the rain was supposed to fall and the weather is going to get cool. I almost had myself convinced to get up when Vic came out the screen door dragging the TV with him. Hammering Hank was right behind him with a couple of loops of antenna cable. TV was set down on the table and turned on and Gee there was a football game just ready to start. So I decided to stay and watch the first half and see how the new rookie QB played.

I didn't go fishing, the game got entertaining and a couple of beers appeared and Marv went in and cooked up some wings for lunch/halftime and then the FELLOWS came over because our TV was way bigger then their TV. I said that guys don't need to talk much when they are together but you put them in front of a TV with a couple of beers and everyone becomes a football analyst. Throw in wings and some pretzels and before you know it I had ran out of time to go fishing. Cheering and clapping, dogs barking wind blowing and leaves falling I could have spent a quiet afternoon out on the lake but sometimes perfect fall days are meant for watching football outside here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,257,508}

YESTERDAY I SPENT most of the day trying to stay out of the wife's way. She was canning and the kitchen was a busy place. Multi tasking she calls it as she was slicing up cucumbers for making pickles on one counter while she had canning jars soaking in the sink while other jars filled with tomatoes were taking a hot bath on the stove. A pot of tomato sauce was brewing on another burner and bread was rising for supper. All three dogs were also in the kitchen but they were tucked away under the table, once you get your tail stepped on you learn to keep it out of the way. I was just the assistant to the chief chef as I was sent out to gather cucumbers and tomatoes and bring in onions that are hanging out in the wood shop. Greenhouse trips were made to harvest dill and peppers that are growing out there in pots. I foolishly asked if she was going to have any time to make apple pie but was greeted with just a stare, I took that as a no.

I got a couple of bags of apples in a round about way. My trees are bare except for three apples that are hanging from one branch just out of reach. I did a little bartering and some trading and in return I got some pie making apples. The wife I think was hoping that there would be no pie making this fall but when I showed her the bags of apples she just told me they will have to wait their turn. Taking the stare as a clue that I was not needed I asked if there was anything I could do, her reply was to go into town and see about picking up another case of canning jars. I was going to offer a suggestion that there might be some more in the basement that she overlooked but decided against it, one can never have enough canning jars.

Duncan was up for a ride so we headed out to the Tahoe, he jumped in and I had to climb in, I called him a show off and patted him on the head then lowered a window so he could stick his head out on the drive. I took a round about way into town as figured the wife was in no real hurry for the canning jars. The strong winds and rain of the past few days have done a number on the leaves. A lot more down on the ground then last week. I had a stretch of road that was just carpeted in pine needles as the wind had even knocked them off trees. I had my window rolled down and the heater on even had the heated seat clicked on to low. About a forty degree difference in twenty-four hours and a lot of bird hunters are happy with the cooler temperature.

As I was driving past the Gulp-N-Go I saw that I could use a little gas myself. I pulled in and stuck the nozzle in and leaned up against the side of the Tahoe and waited. A couple of other guys were doing the same thing, waiting that is. Back in the old days the pumps did not seem to pump as fast as they do now and they were noisy. You could stick the nozzle in the fill pipe and listen to the tell tale click that the meter made when it pumped a gallon of gas. The real old pumps had a bell that would go off every time a gallon of high test was pumped. They were slow to, in the time it took to put ten gallons in the truck you could check your oil, and wash your windows. Now you don't even look at the gallons, you just watch the digital numbers flashing dollars back at you. Except here at the Gas-N-Go there are still old pumps, no digital they still have black numbers on a white back ground that chase each other as you pump gas. Gives one time to wash windows or just lean up against your truck and watch gas pump here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,258,567}

I lost my Buddy today

PICT1732_zps329efa2c.jpg

April 29th 2000 - October 1st 2014

Lost but never to be forgotten

ALMOST THIRTEEN YEARS ago to the day I lost my lab Bud. Bud was a year and half old and my son took him out bird hunting with a buddy. They lost Bud in the woods about an hours drive from home. The son came home well after dark to tell me they lost Bud and as hard as they looked they could not find him. I called into work telling my boss I was going to be late and with the youngest daughter we grabbed flashlights and drove the hour drive and under the stars we started calling out Bud's name. My daughter found Bud or I should say she found her. At the edge of a field she saw eyes reflecting in her flashlight as Bud ran across the field to jump into her arms, no doubt as happy as we were to see him as he was to see us. On the ride back home Bud laid on the seat next to me with his head leaning up against my thigh and for the next thirteen years he has never left it till this morning.

Bud was having health problem and we knew this day was coming. Early yesterday morning Bud had several seizures and it was time. As I sat up with him during the night I didn't leave his side. When morning came I called the daughter who made arrangements with the vet and a afternoon appointment was set. I spent the time outside digging a grave in the rain, my tears mixing in with the rain drops. I made several trips inside to check on Bud, he was in good hands as Duncan the young lab was at his side. The time came and the daughter and wife took Bud to the vet, I didn't go, I could not handle seeing my Bud go.

This morning I woke up to the first time in over fourteen years and did not see Bud's face in mine. I went in search of my slippers and I could not find one. I finally did under the kitchen table where the wife without thinking said that Bud probably put it there. I left the slipper where it was and put on my boots and went outside. Going to take me awhile, everywhere I look I see Bud I grow very attracted to my dogs and losing one is o so very hard. Bud was by best pal, my wing man, the one I told secrets to as he was very good at not telling anyone them. He was always there for me and as I type this I am crying like a baby and I don't care. Bud, Buddy, The Old Man and also called Budrick when he was in trouble was a good dog, a good friend.

I went back in the house and took off my boots and went looking for my other slipper that was under the kitchen table. When I got there it was gone. I asked the wife and she said she had not moved it. I went into the den with one slipper on and in search of the other. I found it, under my desk in Duncan's mouth. He has learned well from Bud...

Thanks for reading this, pet your dog or rub your cat they are never here long enough so love then hard while you can, Bobby.

Right off I want to say thank you for your comments. Somehow sharing has a way of diminishing bad moments and improving good moments. I am better today then I was yesterday but there are just so many triggers around it will take awhile to get used to Bud being gone. I caught myself this morning taking three biscuits out of the box when I only needed two and counting dogs coming back in the deck door. Duncan is looking a little lost with out his mentor and Barney, Bud's brother is still sleeping on the floor by the side of my bed, he has not taken Bud's spot. House is quiet with out Bud's barking and now I don't know when the mailman comes, that was Bud's job.

I have gotten calls and e-mail's and a few hugs from some of my buddies who have gone through the same thing over the years. It will take a while but I know I will be able to talk and write about Bud, we did have a lot of adventures together, down the road I would like to share them with you here at Lake Iwanttobethere

A QUIET SUNDAY here at the cabin on the shore of Lake Iwanttobethere. Has been a long week with the loss of Bud my old friend. But like everyone says it is getting better, I am starting to talk about the old man and not choke up. Stories are starting to be told about him as my friends share with me their memories. Duncan is at my side and yesterday I spent most of the afternoon outside working in the garden with my number two granddaughter. We dug for tatters and broke the pitch fork, will have to go down to the General Store tomorrow and buy another. Picked the last of the acorn squash and harvested the sunflowers. The granddaughter pulled some carrots because only she knows how to find the big ones and we got seeds from the tobacco plant to save for next year.

Duncan was busy chasing the little birds that seem to be everywhere. Not the best day for being outside, windy and everything was wet. A few snow flakes may have fallen but we could not agree on it being snow or just really cold rain drops. The wife was inside canning the last of the ripe tomatoes, there are a still some left on a couple of plants in the greenhouse but I will eat them on sandwiches this week. Fire going in the fireplace, not a big one but we needed something to take the chill out of the place. Having almost a week of cool damp windy weather has pretty much shut down any thought of fishing. I guess my fishing vacation has ended unless we get a sunny day this week with no wind.

Mark the mailman has returned to his motor route as has Jessie the paperboy. Duncan has taken over the job of barking when Mark's mail van stops at the end of the drive. Last night for the first time in a long time Barney climbed into my bed and took Bud's spot. Felt good to have that part of the bed filled with dog. So I am getting better, Was having second thoughts about writing actually was thinking about taking a break. Didn't want it, the stories be just me writing about Bud and I have made mention of him some in this one but I would be lying if I was to say he is not on my mind. I think after fourteen years and almost a quarter of my life he should get some face time. But life goes on and things have a way of balancing out.

Friday night something happen that put a big smile on my face. The granddaughter was having a sleep over and she crawled into bed with me and we talked about Bud. I asked her if I could tell her a secret, she is very good at keeping secrets. She said yes and I told her that I am thinking I need to get myself a puppy because no way was I could to have more cats (three) then dogs in the cabin. Real quiet like she whispered to me, "Can I tell you a secret?" I whispered back "Of course you can" she then made a big deal of looking from right to left making sure that no one could hear her and asked me when is my birthday. I told her June 22nd, she nodded and said "I overheard my mama and auntie talking about getting you a puppy for your birthday" I chuckled softy and had a big grin on my face in the dark. You see I had made a promise to the wife that I would not buy any more dogs, but if I was to get one as a present, well he or she would have to stay here. I am thinking Holly would be a nice name for a female lab here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,266,790}

I DIDN'T WANT to say anything till I was sure but people the sun is shinning here at Lake Iwanttobethere. Of course the wind is blowing at about twenty-five miles an hour and you have to be careful when you are outside so you don't get hit by a bird. I will explain, the very brisk winds of the past few days has helped along thousands if not hundreds of thousands of songbirds from Canada on their journey to the warmer weather of the southern U.S.of A. In a conversation I had with Sunshine Ray he told me that the birds will not fly across Lake Iwanttobethere because the cooling waters do not provide enough lift for the wings of the little guys. This means the birds follow the shore till they get to this end of the lake and then they go around the lake and continue on their journey.

Normally we don't notice the groups of birds as they come through but with the winds of the past few days they are coming in a mass. Poor Duncan does not know what to do as everywhere he looks there are birds to pursue. He is trying his darnest to keep them away from the garden but when there are hundreds at a time he can't be everywhere. Barney is no help, he just lays in the sunshine on the deck and sleeps and since he is deaf he can't hear all the tweeting. The wife says she won't go outside till they are all gone, but then she is not a fan of Alfred Hitchcocks The Birds and it does kind of look like that around here. I will say one thing, there is not a speck of seed lying on the ground anywhere here at Lake Iwanttobethere. Finally the birds have gotten all the seed from the feeders before Ed and Eddie the squirrels could.

Chuck came over to borrow my leaf blower, told him it was a losing cause but his broke and he wanted to clean out his boat. He forgot to put the cover on and it has filled with fallen leaves. I have been pretty lucky so far, most of the leaves have just blown right through my yard into Elmer's. Today I am well into the fall to do list, not checking many things off just mostly adding to it. I did empty the rain barrels and they still need to get washed out. I did one the other day and then set it on the play house deck to dry. My granddaughter when she was here on Friday asked me with her hands on her hips why there was a rain barrel on her deck. I told her I was going to store it there for the winter and she told me, very firmly I might add that she will be using her deck during the winter and I should find somewhere else. I just nodded and did not tell her that I have two more to put on the deck hoping she will forget.

Not too bad out this afternoon, amazing how sunny and fifty can feel pretty good as long as you are out of the wind. Not fishing weather for me at least not in a boat, to much wind. Saturday looks like it might be a boat day though. Temps in the fifties, sunny and wind a manageable 10 mph of course that is Sunshine Rays forecast and anything can change between now and then. I will try and get out though, need to clear the fuel lines of gas and then bring the Puddle Humper to the car wash and give it a good rinse before emptying it and wrapping it up for winter. Long range forecast does not show any signs of an Indian Summer so Saturday might just be the last time I get out in a boat. Will have to shift over to bird hunting with Duncan, here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,270,231}

THE PAST WEEK zipped on by here at Lake Iwanttobethere. Had a few days of sunshine and even though it did not warm up much time was spent outside working in the gardens and on the never ending fall to do list. I had broken the pitch fork digging up tatters with the granddaughter and I went down to buy another one at the General Store, Earl showed me a couple of different ones and of course they were the last ones he had in stock. I decided to just buy a replacement handle as that was the third of the cost of a new pitch fork and brought it home. I sat out on the deck with my drill and worked at getting the fork out of the old handle that was protected by metal and what should have been a easy job was becoming a chore. But the afternoon was sunny and I was out of the wind and I was not in any great hurry to get it done.

I was leaning back in my deck chair taking a break watching some leaves fall when Elmer made his way over to my place from his place. He sat down across from me and we exchanged HIYA's and just looked at each other for a spell. I knew he wanted to say "Fixen the pitchfork" but I knew he was not going to say anything because I would have called him out on stating the obvious, just like he would have done to me. So we chatted for awhile but neither one of us brought up the pitchfork between us on the table. After awhile Elmer got up to leave and we bid each other good day, Elmer turned to walk away when he looked back at me and said "Would be a lot quicker if ya just put it in a fire "So I started a fire in the pit and stacked wood around the pitchfork and after awhile the metal got red hot and I pulled it from the fire gave it a tap and the fork fell right out of the wood handle that was wrapped in metal. I let it sit there and cool and moved on to other projects.

Yesterday it was safe to be back outside as the massive flight of songbirds has abated. It is now safe to walk outside with out the chance of being hit by a flying bird. Duncan has been busy though as some of the small songbirds did not survive hitting the widows of the cabin. Duncan would find them on the ground and nose them to see if they were alive and if they were not he would bring them to me. I set them down on the edge of the deck and after awhile Duncan would just bypass me and bring the birds to the deck. Since the ground was soft where I had made Bud's grave I just buried them there, I figured Bud would have been OK with that.

Puddle Humper sits on its trailer with the tarp covering it. Have not emptied it for winter yet as Sunshine Ray is forecasting a few days next week where it might hit sixty. I am thinking there may be a few more days of fishing still left so I have the tarp on to keep the leaves out. Speaking of leaves here on the shores of Lake Iwanttobethere for the most part they are still green but some yellow is showing up. Away from the lake the leaves are pretty much done changing color and are filling up the low spots on the ground. Have not done any bird hunting this week, just don't have the urge even though Duncan has been nosing the gun cabinet and trying to get my attention. Too windy and to many little birds, maybe tomorrow I will go and take a walk down a few of my buddy Chuck's trails. A couple of weeks of some sunshine and no rain with warmer temperatures could sure do a lot into changing this into a normal fall here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,280,221}

SO I HAVE a new boss here at the cabin on the shores of Lake Iwanttobethere. I am not counting the wife or daughters or even my seven year old granddaughter who has grown into being a pretty good boss. Nope I am talking about Duncan the pup who is no longer a pup but a grown dog and I guess he thinks my master. I say this because Duncan would not take no yesterday afternoon and we went and did some bird hunting. I was taking a break from pushing the lawnmower around getting to places that the riding mower could not reach. Duncan sat on the wood deck and watched me work and from time to time he would sit up and bark to get my attention. I felt he was pointing out spots with his nose that I had missed mowing. After I was done mowing I took the leaf blower out and cleaned off the wood deck and steps and made a few passes across the drive to blow leaves off to the side.

With the push mower put away and the blower hanging from its hook I was thinking about getting on the garden tractor and taking it for a spin. As I started to walk to the shed Duncan started barking and would not stop when I yelled at him to be quiet. I figured something was up, either Ed or Eddie the squirrels were making a raid on the bird feeders or maybe the raccoon that has been hitting the garbage cans at night was making a daylight raid. Nope I was set up, what I did find was my single shot twenty gage leaning up against the deck railing and hanging over the rail was my orange bird vest and Bud's old bell was sitting on top of my hat. I went up the stairs and I spotted the wife looking out the glass of the deck door waving for me to get off her deck. Duncan was wagging his tail so hard his head had to go in the opposite direction so he would not fall over.

I took Bud's bell in my hand and it rang softly, I reached down and took Duncan's collar off and slipped the loop of the bell on to the collar and then snapped it back on around Duncan's neck. The bell rang softly as Duncan continued to wag his tail and I spoke quietly to him telling him fine we will go. My vest went on over my sweatshirt and I cradled the shotgun in my arm and followed Duncan across the yard to the trail. Reaching in my vest I felt for shells and the wife had made sure I had several. Either she was expecting me to shoot a lot of birds or miss a lot, I can never tell with her.

We never saw a bird at least not a grouse but in a way I knew that was not what the wife had in mind when she put the gun and vest out on the deck. It was time to get back up on the horse so to speak and for me that meant it was time to take Duncan into the woods. I knew that and as I walked down the trail behind Duncan I watched him work like Bud had shown him. The pace was a little quicker I didn't have to stop and let Bud catch up but to be fair Duncan did spend a little extra time here and there letting me catch up to him.

Grouse season is short enough without making excuses not to go. I walked behind Duncan and I enjoyed a nice fall walk, brown grass under foot and falling orange leaves tumbling down. Every turn on the trail made both Duncan and myself slow down and peer around it and look down the next stretch of trail like little kids peeking around the corner on Christmas Eve expecting to see Santa. Bud's bell rang softly in the quiet and it looked good hanging on Duncan's collar here on a grouse trail at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,284,269}

SILENT SUNDAY HERE at Lake Iwanttobethere and I am sitting in the den with the radio tuned into KCUM and some soft music playing. I can hear the wife emptying the dishwasher in the kitchen, the sound of spoons and forks making soft clanking noises as they find their spots in the drawer. Duncan is under the desk at my feet and Barney is over in the corner, snoring. I have not seen any of the cats yet this morning, usually by this time they will have appeared and will jump up on the desk to get in my way or as in the case of Smokie the big tom will flop on my keyboard demanding attention.

The granddaughter is still asleep she had a long day yesterday as she was at a couple of Halloween parties and then came over here for the night. I am thinking about fishing this afternoon and I needed to go to the Masterbaiters shop for a few plastic lures that I was running low on. I have a few but you never know, I might run into a good bite and run out. I asked the granddaughter if she would like to stay home with grandma or go shopping with me. She asked where we were going and as soon as I said the bait shop she was in. Now normally I would just walk into the Masterbaiters Shop head over to the wall where all the plastic baits are hanging on the pegboard and grab what I needed and be back out the door. Shopping with a seven year old is a tad different and one should shop from time to time like one. We took our time and looked at colors and shapes and not prices. We looked at stuff we never have tried and put them back on the hooks and moved on.

So this morning with the cabin pretty quiet I got to thinking about writing stories here at Lake Iwanttobethere. The title is fishing reports but looking back there are not really that many fishing reports. Lake Iwanttobethere has become more about weather reports and fishing and hunting and mowing grass. Tales of past adventures and passing thoughts about life and raising kids and especially dogs. Eight years of Bud and Barney and I hope many many years of Duncan. Winter snow storms and Summer rains Spring thaws and Fall colors. I hope I am letting you in on a little slice of what is going on around here. Not many places like Lake Iwanttobethere not many towns have the FELLOWS and Dock Burriem or Lodges for everyone to gather and exchange stories and learn from them. A good mix of old stuff and new stuff of old values and some plain common sense.

I never know what to write about and I tend to be all over the place, kind of like life I guess. Thing is everyone has stories to tell, and you may not think your life is interesting but it is. If you hunt or fish or have a dog you have a story to tell. Got kids and grand kids you have a wealth of stuff. I am just sharing a slice of life here and if it rings a bell with you then I figure it is all worth it. I should not write on quiet Sunday mornings, Gets me thinking and as the FELLOWS will tell you thinking can sometimes get you in trouble, Sometimes it is best just to do things as planning can just get in the way. Today I am going to spend some time with the granddaughter, maybe watch some football and maybe even go fishing, but I am not going to really plan anything for the day here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,288,235}

MY PLAN FOR not having a plan went well yesterday, it was so good that I am going to do the same thing today as yesterday and that is not have a plan. Yesterday I spent time with the granddaughter and I watched some football, don't know why I watched football as the home team lost yet again and they could not hear me yelling at them from way up here. I should have gone and done some fishing but I was sitting on the deck in one of the old wood chairs and I had a cigar burning. I get but one cigar a week to smoke these days and to be truthful sometimes I don't even smoke that one during the week. Anyway I was sitting on the deck and it was calm out, the red needle on the Bass thermometer was resting just above sixty degrees in the shade and I was thinking I might be wasting a fishing day. A few minutes later and the wind reappeared and I was back to thinking that just sitting was the better choice.

The daughter was out with the granddaughter as they had gone over to McDonnell's farm to walk the corn maze. They came back with a story to tell as the daughter told me they had some Leafers up taking pictures and a couple of them went and took a walk in the corn maze. Seems that one of the Leafers walked out of the corn maze and across the dirt road to the corn field where he got lost. McDonnell was just about ready to call the Lake Iwanttobethere volunteer fire department to help search for the lost Leafer ( tourist ) when a grouse hunter and his dog found him and escorted him back out and across the road. The Leafer said he was just fine and he would have found his way out by himself if the battery on his phone had not died so he could not use his GPS app. McDonnell was about to tell him all he had to do was look up and he would have seen the windmill but decided to say nothing and told him he owed an extra five dollars for trampling his corn.

The granddaughter came out of the cabin with some milk and a slice of pumpkin pie and sat down at the table alongside of me. I put my cigar out and listen to her version of the lost Leafer story as she ate pie and slurped milk. We then had chores to do as the granddaughter has her own list of things that need to be done. First off we headed to the garden where we cut down stalks of corn and put them in the red wagon. I had to pull the wagon down to the mailbox where we then stood them up and tied them to the post holding the mailbox. I was informed we were doing it because we needed to decorate the mail box for Halloween. With the stalks secured I went to pull the wagon back up the hill but not till she got in for a free ride, I think the ride was also on her list of things for me to do.

This afternoon finds an overcast sky overhead and calm winds. I have been in an out of the cabin and a few drops of rain have fallen but nothing that would get you wet if you were caught under them. I took the tarp off the Puddle Humper and cleaned some leafs off the carpet, changed lures on a couple of rods and checked to see how much gas I have in the tank. Battery charger is humming just to make sure the trolling battery is ready and tomorrow I am going fishing. Sixty in the shade is the battle cry and I can't very well be sitting at home if it is that warm in the middle of October here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,291,746}

TOUGH CALL YESTERDAY, the red needle on the bass thermometer hanging on the siding here at the cabin was nudging sixty degrees and I had a decision to make. Fishing, golfing, bird hunting or raking leafs. Right off the bat raking leafs was ruled out, there are still way to many in the trees hanging on even in the brisk wind. I figured golfing would be nice but my neighbor Chuck was busy cursing and beating up his truck with a hammer as the night before his wheel bearing went out on his pickup. No golfing or fishing for him till it was fixed. A walk on the trails might be a good idea but there are still leaves up and it might be a tad warm to do to much walking. So that left fishing, o well I suppose I could go wet a line.

Raking leaves might have been a better choice. Loaded up the Puddle Humper and took off for what is usually a good fall lake only to arrive to fifteen plus mile winds and they were coming out of the North, not good on this lake as the lake runs North-South. I was having second thoughts even about launching but I have had days like this before and sometimes, not all the time you get surprised by the fishing so I launched. First mistake I stepped in a little too far and some water spilled over the top of my right boot. It was not warm and as I parked the Tahoe I had a little squishing going on in my boot and my toes confirmed that the water was cold. I pushed the Puddle Humper out into the lake and took my boots off, dried my feet with a towel I have on hand just for that reason and put my shoes on. I checked the graph and it was reading forty-seven degrees, yup the water was a little cool.

I worked by way up the shoreline going against the wind and tossing a big spinner bait at a few likely spots. Not ten minuets into fishing and a real nice bass was chasing down my bait nipping at the big purple trailer I had on it. In a split second I saw the fish, the fish saw me, we had a brief tug of war over my trailer and the fish darted off under the boat and was gone. I was thinking it might just be one of them days but in the next two hours that is all I saw or felt for fish. There was no dock pattern to fish as all the docks were pulled up and resting on green grass. In there place I spotted a couple of ice houses pulled down close to shore ready to be pushed onto ice which I hope is still a few months away. A couple of ducks quacking and the sound of someone sawing wood with a chain saw is all that broke up the quiet of the afternoon.

The wind was not looking like it was going to go away, it was blowing up waves on my favorite points and the big reed bank was like fishing in a wind tunnel. I tucked away behind a small island but even there the wind wanted to suck me back out. I ate a sandwich, and drank a little water. Started the big motor and rode on top of the waves to the other end of the lake and fished for a few minutes but doubt had already settled in. Figured I was just wasting my time so I headed back to the landing and found another trailer parked alongside mine. Never saw anyone on the lake so I don't know where they are hiding at. Took my time and got the Puddle Humper ready for the ride back home. Usually I am doing this in the dark so it was kind of nice to have daylight to see by. I ate my second sandwich and sipped on a soda leaning up against the side of the boat and looking out at the lake. I took in the deep smells of fall and watched leaves fall on the water of a lake near a lake near Lake Iwanttobethere {2,294,065}

GO SOUTH YOUNG man go south is what Elmer told me when I related to him my fishing experience of the other day. The water is warmer that way and so that is what I did yesterday, I fished a lake to the south of Lake Iwanttobethere. Stormy Clearweather had forecasted that the winds would be calm and the further I would travel from Lake Iwanttobethere the warmer the air would get, she lied. When I left the cabin it was fifty out and foggy but I could see some light in the sky where the sun should be. Twenty miles away and the Tahoe thermometer was showing fifty-five and there was some sunshine. By the time I got to the boat landing it was fifty-seven and I was looking forward to the forecasted sixty-three by late afternoon. Two other trailers were sitting in the parking lot and I was not alone in thinking this might be a decent fishing day.

It went down hill shortly after I launched. I stayed dry but the wind instead of dying kept on building. I started off with a long sleeve shirt and a sweatshirt, shortly after being on the water the pull over golf wind jacket went on, half way down the shoreline the big heavy black hoodie went on and I traded my baseball cap for a stocking hat. Water was warmer then the northern lake of a few days ago as the graph was reading fifty-one. I guess no one was telling the fish it was warmer as I was not getting any bites. Some docks were still out so that was good to see but I must have picked the pontoon taking out day to fish. A steady stream of pontoons were making their way to the landing to be pulled out by pickups and four wheelers and a couple of farm tractors.

The local population of geese were busy as they kept flying overhead in flights of twenty birds or more. Flying low over the water they would not gain any height till they were almost on top of me. I was thinking they almost looked like bombers making practice runs. A few mallards kept pace with me I am sure looking for handouts, but after awhile they left me for the quiet water behind a big boat dock. I was thinking that in my journal that this trip was going to go down as a boat ride and not a fishing trip as after two hours I had not had even a tap that I could call a bite. The good shore line that I would have liked to fish was feeling the brunt of the wind and waves so I didn't even go there. Instead I headed towards the landing and fished a small bay figuring I would get off when there was a break in the pontoon loading.

Wind was a little better so I dropped the trolling motor into the water and decided to throw a few casts while I waited. Gloves were on now making fishing a little more interesting but I was thinking this might be my last time out so I might as well keep a line wet. The idea of being skunked two trips in a row gets a guy thinking that fishing season might just be done. I felt a tap on my rod and a pull and a quick hook set had me with a fish on. Looking down into the clear water I watched as a pike went zipping by heading for under the boat and was trying hard to take my rod with it. I know I had a smile on my face as I was not going to be skunked and even though it was a Pike I could live with that. A couple of quick pictures and I lifted up a chubby four pounder into the Puddle Humper.

I eased the Pike back into the water and figured as long as I am here I could toss a few more casts and so I did. Five minutes later a bass hit and I did the same with him, a couple of pictures in the water then I eased him into the boat and released him with a thank you. Now I was ready to take the boat out of the water. By the time I started the Tahoe the thermometer was reading forty-seven, a far cry from the forecasted sixty-three. Good thing I got off the water, I was running out of jackets to put on here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,297,512}

Video100013-24_zps0cabb6a4.jpg

Video300004-60_zpse0d0df8d.jpg

SPENT THE WEEKEND at the Resort had a list of things that needed to be done up there. We dug up the last of the tatters and pulled tomato plants out of the garden. I helped Vic as we hauled in loads of fallen leaves as there is no shortage of them around the Resort. The FELLOWS have a large shredder that we used to make mulch of the leaves and anything else that happen to get picked up. The compost pile was turned over using the tractor which is a lot easier then doing it with a pitch fork like I have to at home. Even thinking I will keep adding to the compost pile at the Resort and maybe I will be able to make enough extra to bring a load back to the garden at the cabin next spring.

My neighbor Chuck was also at the Resort on Sunday, told me he had to get away from the cabin before anything else breaks on him. First it was the wheel bearing on his truck that he fixed and then the next day the power steering line blew. I told him if he stopped driving the truck he would stop breaking stuff on it. That is why I park the Dodge for seven months out of the year, I get great gas mileage that way to. Wood shop is pretty much clean and waiting for winter still have not sawed the big white pine logs yet but it is on the list of things to do. The fir has been cut and is stacked neatly drying, Chuck has a few projects in mind for the wood next spring.

Sunday was a surprise as it was much warmer then forecasted. We ran the antenna cable out on to the deck and moved the TV out there is watch the football game. Hammering Hank is not a big fan of the local football pro team and we had to listen to him all game long telling us how the home team was going to lose and sure enough on the last play of the game they did. Rather then listen to him patting himself on the back everyone who was on the deck scattered as we still had half of a nice Sunday afternoon. Vic and Dock Burriem made their way down to the mail boat and set off to drift in the small bay. The plan was to do some fishing but more likely they were having a few nips from Dock's flask and just enjoying the afternoon. Elmer and Marv not in a hurry to go anywhere just sat back in their chairs and tuned there hearing aids off and watched and smiled from time to time as Hammering Hank waved his hands in the air and said " I told you so"

At half-time I had gone over to the Tahoe and emptied out the back of the truck. I was thinking of doing a little bird hunting so I piled gear on top of a bale of straw and with the football game done I headed that way with Duncan close at my side. With Duncan's mentor Bud now gone almost three weeks Duncan has been a little lost, Actually we both have but we are getting better. I didn't think Duncan could spend any more time with me but I was wrong, he does not let me leave his sight unless he is at the cabin and the wife is baking cookies. I was holding Duncan collar in my hand and I saw him nuzzling the hunting vest and managed to snap a picture of him, caught in the act of trying to get a reward biscuit from the vest.

I changed boots put on my vest and Duncan and I took a walk down the trail that runs past the garden and goes back into the poppel. Trees are starting to get bare back there as the wet and windy weather had taken a lot of the leaves down. They make that crunching ruffle sound when you walk through them and the forest smells earthy. Duncan with his head down low and his tail up high plows through the fallen leaves like a vee plow going through a fresh snowfall. From time to time he will raise his head to snort leaves out of his nose and to check to see if I am still following him. I am, with a smile on my face and memories of how Bud would do the same thing here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,303,360}

Video900013-06_zpsa3c13804.jpg

DEBATING ON CHANGING the lower unit oil on the Puddle Humper. I was in town today and stopped off at Dan's parts store and right as you come in the door there was a display of lower unit gear oil. I bought one for the Puddle Humper and a can of fogging oil. The tube of lube is sitting here on my desk and it would be an easy thing to walk out to the Puddle Humper and change the lower unit but if I did that I would be making a commitment that I am really done fishing for the year, can't pull that trigger just yet. Sunshine Ray is forecasting a little warm up and we may see a couple of days in the low sixty's here by the end of the week. I know the water is still cold and I am guessing it is still getting colder as I type this but.... I am still thinking there is a big northern out there waiting for me to throw something in his or her way.

On my way back to the cabin I gave a wave to Frank the plow driver. He was out plowing leaves here at Lake Iwanttobethere. Yes from time to time the leaves get so deep that we have to have them plowed into the ditches. Trouble there is sometimes the Leafers who stop in the middle of the road to take pictures walk off toward the woods and disappear into the deep leaf filled ditches. Town council a few years back approved some "DITCH LEAF FILLED" signs only to have most of them stolen that fall. They have since been replaced with "DANGER- DITCH" signs and had the FELLOWS were hired to install them. If there is anyone that can screw something up or on it is the FELLOWS.

When I was in town I also noticed a few of the locals starting to wear their blaze orange caps. Deer season is just around the corner so to speak and I did make a stop at Ma and Pa's grocery just to check in and to make sure we still have our freezer space for this season. As long as I was there I had Pa slice me up a couple of pounds of thick sliced bologna and he wrapped the six slices in white paper and chatted with me as he worked. I paid Ma for the cold cuts and headed out the door, the bell jingling over my head. No sooner did I hit the sidewalk then my nose picked up the smell of fresh bread and almost in a trance I turned and walked over to Amy's Bakery and found myself inside. Amy with a smile came out from behind the glass display cases with a glass of milk and a large portion of apple pie, not what I had on my mind but since she went through all that trouble I sat down and smacked my lips in anticipation.

I left Amy's with my cold cuts and a couple of loafs of thick sliced fresh warm bread. A loaf of wheat and a loaf of rye better known as the top and bottom to my bologna sandwiches. A few more HIYA's were spoken to locals as I made my way back to the Tahoe. I opened the door to find Duncan curled up on my seat, he stood up wagged his tail and pushed his nose into my coat pocket. There was no hiding the chunk of scrap that Pa had given me to give to him. With his treat secured he headed to the back seat and sprawled across it. With the widow down I headed back home and that is when I saw Frank the plow driver pushing leaves.

The rest of my afternoon was stolen by a Time Bandit that is what I refer to my grand kids as. This afternoon the daughter had a doctor's appointment and baby M was at the cabin when I got back. Baby M is now walking and one has to keep an eye on here. Duncan does a pretty good job of being a baby-sitter but once she is done dropping her cookie crumbs he losses interest. Before I knew it the daughter was back from the doctor and done visiting with her mother in the kitchen. Meanwhile Baby M was in the den with me stealing time as I don't know where time goes when you are with your granddaughter playing blocks and going through the toy box here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,307,415}

MUST BE ONE of them kind of days here at Lake Iwanttobethere. This morning I had to run into town and do a few errands, had a few projects and I needed to pick up some things. Nice sunny day so I thought I would patch a few cracks on the sidewalk that runs out to the garage. Been meaning to do it but just ran out of summer. I called Big Earl at the General Store and he said he had some premixed pail stuff that would do the trick. I was all for that as I didn't want to make a big deal out of mixing up some cement, figured that would be a project for next summer. I had some bills to mail but was out of stamps so my first stop was the Post Office where I ran in to my first part time employee of the day.

Now normally here at Lake Iwanttobethere we are pretty high tech, as least as high tech as we want to be and still be able to call ourselves a small town. I figured I was going to have one of them days when I went inside the Post Office to find a young feller working the window and before him a small hand written sign said CLOSED- INTERNET DOWN I said good morning to him and asked for ten first class stamps, he pointed to the sign and just said sorry. I looked over the top of my glasses and repeated myself, Ten first class stamps please. He pointed at the sign and said he can't sell any stamps with out the Internet. I was about to say something when Mark the postmaster came around the corner and opened the drawer and handed me ten first class stamps. I gave him a five dollar bill and he gave me change from the drawer. I nodded and went on my way thankful that I was not going to have to teach the young feller how to sell stamps and make change with out the Internet to help him.

Next stop was the bank, I drove up to the drive up window and exchanged hellos with a young teller. She looked at my check and asked me how I would like my money back and I told her IN LARGE BILLS, she smiled back at me through the bullet proof glass and said "All of our bills are the same size" I nodded and told her I guess that they will just have to do.

Was getting towards lunch time and I was a tad hungry, figured I would treat my self to one of them subway sandwiches. I drove up to the open bulletproof glass window and placed my order. I asked for minimal lettuce and the young clerk told me they only have Iceberg lettuce, told him I guess that will just have to do. The bill came to 5.25 I handed over a ten dollar bill and a quarter. The clerk told me I gave him to much money. I shrugged and just said "Give me five dollars back" clerk told me he could not do that with out the manager's permission, told him I would wait.

Ate my sandwich in the parking lot and then headed over to the General Store, Said HIYA to Big Earl out on the sidewalk and he told me Junior had already pulled a pail of the premixed patching cement for me and it was under the front counter. I thanked him and went inside, Barb was on break and there was a young gal working the register. I told her I had a pail of cement under the counter with my name on it and she looked and asked if I was Mister Ready Mix and she lifted it up on the counter. I just nodded and took out my wallet and pull a twenty out, she saw the cash and leaned over to the mike and said " Junior, there is some guy up here who wants to pay with cash" I hope this happens every where, just not here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,310,068}

GRAND DAUGHTER TOOK a spill on her bike and the daughter asked if I would come over and take a look at the bike. First off the granddaughter is OK as it is getting hard to get hurt riding a bike these days. The days of riding a bike without a helmet and full body armor have past. Not that I am complaining to much about that as I am getting to the age that it might be a good idea for me to start wearing body armor. Yesterday I patched the sidewalk and I was backing up to admire my work and tripped on a trowel. Just about took a tumble but managed to stay up right. Elmer is right when he says you need to watch your step the older you get.

So I went to the daughter's house and saw the bike resting against the living room wall, I didn't see any damage but the daughter said the granddaughter was complaining it does not shift right. I looked at it and saw that it was one of the eighteen gear thingies with a lot of chain and screws and springs and told the daughter it is out of my league but I could spend some time and tinker with it. Daughter told me that was OK she just needed me to bring it down to the Spokes N Wheels, it was due for a tune up anyway.

I have driven by the Spokes n Wheels Shop many a time just never stopped, I parked out front and pulled the bike out of the back of the Tahoe and rode it in... Ya right, I held on to the handle bar and pushed it in. Pretty fancy door as I came up on it and it opened upward for me, I was impressed. Inside rows and rows of bikes and all of them had yellow tags hanging from the handlebars with a lot of numbers on them. The inexpensive cheap bikes of my youth were not going to be found here. I made my way to the service counter where a young guy wearing a hat that said BIKE TECH. He took my information and then came around to look over the granddaughters bike. He picked it up and spun the back tire and said that a GEAR GUY would have to look at it. I asked how long would that be and in said in just a few minutes.

I figured I would wait so I browsed a little and quickly came to the conclusion that I am glad I am not in need of buying a bike. I did see a row of bikes that were more in line with what I paid in the past and asked the guy with the hat about them, he told me they were day rentals and not for sale. I just nodded my head and went to look at the wall of body armor, helmets and padded fingerless gloves. I turned back to see the bike tech guy looking over the granddaughters bike and I walked over. He was now sporting a GEAR GUY hat and I just smiled as it is not unusual to wear many different hats here at Lake Iwanttobethere. Ten minutes later and the bike was pronounced good to go and no there was no charge, he even rolled it out to the Tahoe and put it in for me. Told him thanks and was on my way, I give the Spoke N Wheel Shop a thumbs up for service.

Dropped the bike off at the daughter's house and took the back road back to the cabin. I was driving slow and looking over the gravel shoulder for some grouse as you never know when you are on these back roads. I was thinking of my old bike, a Jc Higgins three speed and where I used to ride it and the trouble I got into it with it, Glad I didn't have eighteen speeds back then, that would have been an accident just waiting to happen here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,314,886}

LOOKING RATHER BLEAK on this end of Lake Iwanttobethere. Over the past few days the leaves on the maple trees that have been hanging on just kind of gave up the good fight and fell to the ground. Apple trees are still holding on to their green leaves but they are not holding any apples for the second season in a row. Well there are eight apples on the one tree that turned red late and emerged from behind the green leaves. I was thinking of picking them for a pie but then I thought I would just leave them up there and see what happens to them. My neighbor across the road hearing I was apple poor gave the wife two bags of apples for pie making. The neighbor knows how I can get without my fall apple pie. The wife made three pie's day before yesterday and brought one of them over to the neighbor who gave us the apples, I did complain a little telling the wife that the neighbor probably has more pie then we do.

Civilization has reached its long skinny finger of asphalt that much closer to the cabin. The newly rebuilt roadway that my driveway ends up on is pretty much all done and the day before yesterday they painted a yellow line down the center. Still not totally done but they are getting closer and no longer will I have to take detours or put on my old white hard hat and orange vest and pretend I am one of them as I drive around barricades. Of course having the Puddle Humper on the trailer behind the Tahoe might be a give away but I am already past them but the time they see the boat. With the new roadway I am sure I will see a mess of bikers riding the new ribbon next summer. Have already heard many a story from Elmer talking of the old days of having to ride a horse to get to the cabin, I think he might be embellishing it a tad but then again Elmer is a pretty old coot.

Been working on the do list and things are getting wrapped up here. Work trailer is put away and covered in its blue tarp. Wheel barrow is leaning on its side up by the fire wood pile and the splitting maul is leaning against the stump. Tiller is cleaned and tucked away in the back of the garage and there is an open spot where the snow blower should be. I have not bought one to replace the old one that died last winter. I have been at the General Store a few times eyeing one that Big Earl has. Don't want to seem to interested in it as he will know I need one. My neighbor Chuck has a plow truck that he has been wheeling and dealing with his brother over. The truck has been sitting there for a couple of seasons in storaage but just last week the plow finally arrived for it and Chuck stuck it on the truck. He is thinking a couple off passes with the old plow truck would save him a ton of time as it would move a lot more snow then the tractor. Thing is we need to get some snow and make some snow piles, the dump truck does not have the greatest brakes and we would need some banks for it to hit to make sure it stops. I say we because he already promised he would come over and plow both my drive and Elmer's.

Kind of a gloomy dark day here at the Lake today. Few rain showers fell this morning but even though it is damp out it is not dripping wet. Am thinking that me and Duncan will go take a walk here. With the leaves pretty much all down it is time to leave the single shot twenty gage in the cabinet and take out the side by side double. Have to put twice as many shells in my pocket and maybe an extra bone or two for Duncan. Lots of work to still do outside but it is a little cool to be working out in the damp. Funny thing it is just the right temperature for dragging your boots through wet quiet leaves on a damp trail with a dog here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,322,782}

I CARRIED THE blue plastic tote out to the Tahoe this morning and exchanged it for the gray plastic tote that had SUMMER written in bloc letters on its side. Inside the winter tote there were gloves and a hat, window scraper, window ice melt, a small blanket, disposable heat packets and some old Kit Kat's. Last night shortly after dark it started to snow here at Lake Iwanttobethere, nothing big and not deep enough to track a mouse in but yet it was snow. The afternoon was divided up into rain and sleet showers, heavy enough at times to get you wet if you were dumb enough to stand out in it and enough to make you miserable if you had to be out working in it.

Had to run into town this morning and when I walked by the bass thermometer hanging on the side of the cabin the red needle was pointed at just under thirty. I tapped it and it dropped down some more. I am sure it was colder somewhere else but it was cold enough here for me. I started the Tahoe and let it run as I went back to the boat house and grabbed the shovel and small rake and picked up a few surprises in the yard left behind by Duncan and Barney. Won't be long and we will have enough snow on the ground that I will not be worrying about picking up behind them. Garden hose was out, guess I should put that away and I made an attempt to roll it up but it had water inside and of course it was frozen. Instead I dragged into a part of the yard that will get sunshine today and will let it melt.

The ride into town was uneventful, Duncan was at home, warm in bed. Barney did give me a look but he to preferred the warmth of the bed and now that I was out of it he didn't have to share. What little snow that fell last night was already gone, letting the Tahoe warm up some was a good idea as when I went to lower the window it was frozen and I had to try a few times before it would go down. Grass is still a deep dark green but the hillside trees are now bare of leaves. The color is gone and in its place it a lot of brown and gray and the occasional white of a birch tree. Going to be that way till next spring and already I am missing summer.

In town a lot of ghost and goblins decorate store windows and Big Earl standing outside of his store wearing his bright orange apron does not look out of place. He has a fog machine running at the door and of course it has a yellow tag hanging from it declaring it is the last one in stock. Ma and Pa's Grocery store was my destination as the granddaughter is having a birthday party tomorrow and there was a box of stuff that I was supposed to pick up for the party. The ladies had a to do list and on the bottom of the do list was give the do list to me to finish doing what they didn't get to. Running errands into town to pick up decorations and a last minute search for pumpkins was on the list.

Back from town I parked the Tahoe and the sun was shinning brightly. Water that froze overnight was now thawing out if it was in the sunshine but the deck that was still in the shade and was cover in frozen drops of water slippery enough to skate on with your boots. Elmer was sitting in the kitchen making small talk with the wife and I noticed a plate in front of him with a fork. Elmer looked at me with a smile on his face and just smacked his lips, I had it already figured out he had some of my apple pie while I was gone. I was holding on to the to do list when the wife handed me yet another page of things they had not gotten around to. I glanced at it and saw I was to pick up some hay bales and before I could say anything the wife said I could use Chuck's truck, she already asked. I headed back out the door and this time Duncan was on my heels, we took the trail over to Chuck's house and found Chuck under the hood of the pickup. Looks like it was not going to be all that easy of a day here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,329,434}

THE WINTER TEASE looks to be over, at least for a few days. We had a little snow and woke up to a couple of mornings where the water was froze in the dog bowl outside. Halloween came and went and nothing to report on that other then there are fewer and fewer kids making the trek up the driveway to ring the bell for candy. Once again this year Old McDonnell loaded up his hay wagon with kids and made the run down our road so the kids would not have to walk between cabins. You could hear the horses coming as their hoofs rang out as they walked along on the newly paved road. The kids would come up Chuck's drive then take the path to my place and then get back on the path to Elmer's where they would then follow his driveway back down to the road where Old McDonnell would have the wagon waiting. Other then my own grand kids that came with their parents that one group was the only group that knocked on the door. Elmer was saying he got all dressed up in his bibs and pitchfork for nothing till I pointed out that is how he dresses everyday.

Saturday afternoon I was at the Resort, went to watch the pumpkin chunking. The FELLOWS have a small catapult that they built for one of the FELLOWS kids school projects. After breaking a few windows and putting a hole in a garage roof it was deemed unsafe for the kids and the FELLOWS and removed by their wives. Somehow the FELLOWS located it and it was brought to the Resort for safe keeping. The FELLOWS had other ideas and come Saturday afternoon they were busy tossing pumpkins and gourds they had collected from home, recycling they called it. As an added twist after the first few were launched they decided they would use the pumpkins as target practice for their goose guns. As I sat on the deck I watched the FELLOWS take turns missing the pumpkins with their ten gage shotguns. It was almost as much fun as watching Tiny trying to catch a pumpkin and it explained why the FELLOWS never shoot any geese.

Back at home I am still working on the fall to do list and for some reason this year it seems I am making no headway on it. Might be because I am spending more time sitting and adding to the list then actually working and checking any thing off of it. Deer season is almost on us and I have been making the rounds talking on the phone to the guys and planning our stay at the deer shack. It was suggested that this season we should go back and try a good old fashion deer season at camp. This means no cell phones, no GPS no laptops no TV just beans, beer and brats. As the years have gone by we have gotten away from ruffing it so to speak and have been bring to many of the conveyances of home along to camp. We talked about it some last deer camp and I am for it, some of the younger guys think it would be a real adventure while some of the older guys are welcoming the idea of not having to listen to stray music from ear buds turned up to loud or the sound of phones ringing with calls and text messages from wives and girlfriends.

I told Elmer if that is the case then he and Marv will have to take their hearing aids out, he told me that is not a problem because half the time he has them turned off anyway. No electric generator, light will be from the stove and from the propane lanterns. For me it means no laptop so if I want to write anything it will have to be in a journal with a pencil. Might be pretty quiet on here as I don't write well wearing choppers in a deer stand. Everyone is supposed to get together on Tuesday night down at the Dew Drop Inn for supper and we will decide then if we are going to have an old fashion hunt. I didn't say Good Old Fashion because a lot can happen in a dark deer shack in the back woods here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,334,034}

PUDDLE HUMPER IS all tucked away for the next six months. On Monday the son came over with his boat and parked it along the garage. It was covered in a tarp and I heard a comment about picking it back up in the spring. I figured it was time for me to put the Puddle Humper away so I got out the check list and started working my way down the page. I had already been to the car wash so it was pretty clean and I just put some gas in the leaf blower and it was handy so I fired it up and cleared away the maple leaves that had fallen into the boat. Not spotless but good enough I thought as I picked out a few leaves that resisted the leaf blower. Cardboard boxes came out and the plastic tackle boxes found their way to the correct cardboard box along with all the little things that I have in the boat that I never think about till I need them.

Storage under the seats was emptied and with the boat empty I open the screws and drained the lower unit. Next was a search for all the bungee cords that hold on the winter tarp and were used during the summer for other things. I found some of them hanging on the fence and a few more in the wood shop and yet a few more in the garden. With the lower unit oil changed I fogged the motor and wiped it down. Next up was removing the trolling motor and the two batteries and they found there way down to the basement and the empty shelf in the wood room that is reserved for them. Framework went up inside the Puddle Humper and I put the tarp on and secured it from the snow and wind that should be here soon. Sounds pretty easy, actually only took a couple of hours with a few breaks, wish putting the boat back together come spring would be so easy.

Boxes with the boat gear was put back on the high shelf's going down to the basement and reel drags were loosen and the rods put in the holders along the wall. I sat down at the deck and checked everything off the list and made a few notes for next spring. Trolling motor plate was a little loose so I made a note to tighten that next year along with painting the trailer with a big ? behind it. Lower unit oil was dumped out inside the oil barrel and the oil pan put back in the garage. During the whole time I was doing this Duncan was close by, for the most part sitting and watching me work except when I had to get down on the ground and put the lower unit oil in. Then he decided to crawl under the trailer and make his way up close so he could watch and not miss anything.

With the boat check list complete I sat back in the wood chair on the deck and took in the view. Sun was low in the sky and it takes a little getting use to the lost of an hour of afternoon light. The only trees with any green leaves left on them are the apple trees and everything else is naked. Was thinking of getting the rider out and mulching up some leaves but I figured just sitting for a spell and enjoying what might be the last fifty degree day for awhile was a better choice. Duncan flopped down on the deck alongside of me and decided it was nap time, I guess watching me work was just too hard on him. I pulled my collar up around my neck and tucked my hands deep inside my pockets. Sitting out of the sun and not moving around it was getting to feel a little cool. Not that many days from now and I will find myself sitting in a deer stand and I was thinking, a fifty degree day and long underwear will feel good here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,339,241}

CLOCK IS TICKING so to speak as we are just a few days away from the firearm deer season here at Lake Iwanttobethere. Most of the guys made it to supper at the Dew Drop Inn on Tuesday evening. Lasagna was the special and I think everyone had a serving if not two. French bread and a salad washed down with some smuggled in Hamms made it almost feel like we were at deer camp already. The reason for dinner was to vote on the idea that we should be an old time hunting camp and electronics should stay at home. No laptops or cell phones or GPS units would be allowed. TV was no big deal as the home football team was not playing this weekend so no one was going to miss a game. After much talking it came down to the old guys against the young guys and the middle age guys in the middle not caring either way so a compromise was made. One hour, that is how long you will be able to use your cell phone or in my case lap top. Now this is not an hour of use but you can only use it during one hour. Say from six to seven in the evening. We figured this way the young ones could get all caught up with their texting and calls could be made home if needed.

No one is going to police the decision as we all agree it would be on the honor system. I may or may not post some stories as I am leaning toward the quiet of an old fashion hunting camp. Since the cell phones are going to be OK'd the power for the camp will be turned off. Not even an hour a day will we run the power as we are going to have an old fashion hunting camp where propane will be king and coffee will be made on top of the potbelly stove and not in a mister coffee. Batteries will be allowed so radios can be used and cell phones till they go dead, no power so no chargers that goes for my laptop and my e-reader. Will have to pack along a few books to read and I think guys will be heading to bed early.

Today I am just killing time looking around the cabin for things that need to be packed. Most of my gear is already laid out in the extra bedroom or hanging out in the boathouse. Gun has been cleaned yet again and my knapsack has been checked for hand warmers and my compass. Skinning knife and drag rope and extra gloves and a bag of lemon drops to keep the cough away when sitting on the stand. Duncan has been following me around he knows something is up and the wife pointed that out to me. I think he smells the gun oil on my pants and figures we are going bird hunting, he is just waiting to see when.

Have not even looked at the weather forecast, can't do anything about it so I figured why bother listening to it. Will pack for snow and hope for no rain. Always cold on the stand so dress warmly, walk in light and carry your warm layers in. Wind is the only thing you can't really control. Wind with a little rain gets anyone cold especially the older ya get and I am getting old, makes me wonder how Elmer and Marv do it, cuz they are really old !

Will be leaving for deer camp tomorrow, I go up early in the day as it is really not that far from the cabin here and I have to haul up groceries from Ma and Pa's. That and I like to have the first parking spot close to the door at camp. Hammering Hank and Skinny were up to the camp yesterday and it is a good thing they had the chain saw with, a couple of birch were down across the trail leading in and would have been a problem if you were coming in alone. Trees were cut up and the trunks were dragged into the parking clearing, young guys can cut them up into firewood when they are bored. May or may not get another story out, if I don't for those of you who are out in the woods this weekend be safe and be smart. If you know where the deer camp is better known as the HOTEL stop on by, Bring your flashlight as we are not going to have any lights on here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,344,723}

RAIN AND SNOW is in the forecast from Sunshine Ray today. Matter of fact the thirty-eight degrees might be the warmest it is going to be for the next ten days and a good chance it will be the warmest for all of deer season. Does not look like any tee shirt hunting will be done this year. I have some time on my hands as Chuck is going to be riding up to the HOTEL with me but he had to run into town with the wife for a few last minute things. No big deal I always plan on leaving well before I actually do. Matter of fact I took a look at the weather and saw that some rain is on its way with a good chance of snow. Still had some gas in the lawn tractor so I fired it up and ran across the yard a few times mulching up the last of the maple leaves that had fallen. The trees are bare around here, not a single leaf on the big maple and I am pretty sure every one of them fell on my side of the fence this year.

Got the leaf blower out and there was some gas in that so I started it up and blew off the deck and down the sidewalk. Mostly just make work but when it snows it is nice not to have to deal with any leaves. My knee feels a lot better today then yesterday, I was worried there for awhile. The other day I was coming up on the big deck and Duncan raced out the door to greet me. He was moving a little quicker then he thought he was and when he went to stop on the deck he just slid right into my leg and buckled my knee. Knee ain't supposed to go that way and when you start getting a little older and have a bad one already I thought the worse. Yesterday I woke up and sure enough the knee was talking to me and I hobbled around the cabin. This morning though it feels just fine but I am staying away from stairs, don't want to test it till I have to climb up into my stand.

Tahoe is packed and check list has been checked twice or is it four times? Even the wife went over the list and could not find anything that I had forgotten. Duncan knows something is up but the wife said she will bake some cookies and Duncan will forget all about me once the first cookie accidentally falls to the kitchen floor. My other list is all checked off to, stuff put away outside. Garden hose rolled up and planters in storage. Not only is deer season a vacation for me but it is for the wife also. She has her own list of things she wants to do while I am gone and I know when I come back all the furniture will be rearranged in the cabin and my closet will be cleaned. I had it on my list to hide some of my favorite work shirts in the garage as we disagree on when a shirt is to worn to be worn. I call them broken in and she calls them dusting rags.

My cell phone charger is sitting on the shelf and she held it in her hand and told me I had forgotten it. I told her about the old fashion deer camp we are having this year and she held the charger in her hand and said something about not being to get a hold of me when ever she wants to. I nodded my head and told her that I knew it might be a problem but you know, the guys voted on it and I have to go along with the majority. She asked how I voted and I told her of course I wanted to keep cell phones but... A little while later she came into the den and told me she just gotten off the phone with Chuck's wife and they were talking about the cell phone restriction. Funny thing Chuck's wife said he voted for the phones to. I just nodded and told her I think everybody else voted against them.

Well, I just got off the phone, Chuck is about thirty minutes away from getting home and we should be on the road here in the next hour or so. Gives me enough time to post this story and give Duncan and Barney some back rubbing ear petting time. A few drops of rain are on the deck so it looks like it is going to be a wet ride up to the HOTEL. You may see us heading north in the Tahoe we will be the one with gear piled up to the ceiling in back and two guys smoking cigars wearing flannels with the windows down and the radio on loud, we are heading to deer camp here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,347,327}

SITTING HERE AT the HOTEL I am reminded of them old war movies where the guys are writings letters to be sent back home with nothing but a stub of a pencil and the flickering light from the nub of a discarded old candle. Here at the HOTEL we are following through with the no electricity old fashion deer camp. We might have picked a better year though as I looked back through the log book and the past two deer seasons found us with temperatures in the fifties for opening weekend and we are going to be lucky if we top out any day over thirty this week. The main room of the HOTEL takes a long time to heat when we don't have the ceiling fan to move the warm air that rises from the old pot belly stove.

I figured if I conserve my battery on the laptop I will make it till midweek when I have to bring Chuck back to his place. He has to be back for his wedding anniversary on the twelfth and there is no way the wife will let him not be with her for the first anniversary. Since I will be driving him back I figure it will be a good time for me to take a shower and charge the cell and laptop. Our trip up to the HOTEL was a wet one as we had some rain that turned into snow and the two wheel rut into the HOTEL was a couple of inches deep in slush. I was thinking it would at least make the leaves wet and it would be quiet but that was not the case. Overnight it all froze and the walk to the swamp stand was loud all the way in and slippery in spots.

Not a single shot was heard either yesterday or today (Sunday) matter of fact as I sat on the swamp stand it was very quiet, almost painfully quiet. Other then some crows that flew over head in the late afternoon the woods were empty of any life that I could see. No grouse, no mice no pesky ground squirrels to give away my position. There was movement, the wind blew both days and it was cold, a few snow showers fell but not enough to cover anything. I hear that is going to change on Monday as the little transistor radio we have is warning about a coming cold snap and for sure some tracking snow. Snow would be nice but it is cold enough already, thank you.

The no cell phone has not been much of an issue, we don't get very good coverage out here even with the new tower. Your best bet is to climb the big pine but I don't have to call anyone that bad. Chuck's wife wanted him to bring up a couple of her carrier pigeons but he reminder her we tried that a couple of seasons back and most of the birds headed to Iowa and didn't return till spring. Her replied was O Yea and left it at that.

We had steaks for supper on Friday night and there was no problem keeping anything cold. Matter of fact there for the longest time the Wild Turkey was served at room temperature which was about fifty. The Hamms were so cold we had to warm them up by the fire to drink. Now after a few days of a fire burning in the stove we have the HOTEL warmed up and you no longer can you see your breath. We played cards last night and cigar smoke filled the upper couple of feet of the HOTEL and a couple of the guys who wanted to turn in early could not as their bunks were in the smog zone. Of course Elmer and Marv spoke of hunting back in the old days, Elmer recalling his days of hunting from white canvas tents with three feet of snow and Marv hunting out of a Bed and Breakfast back east. To Elmer this was a step up but to Marv it was a step backwards.

I was on the swamp stand Monday morning when the snow started. The forecast was saying ten inches of wet heart attack stuff was going to fall but it started off with the small pellets that make noise when they bounce of the branches and your gun barrel. Didn't take long and a few inches was on the ground and I was covered in it. As the snow fell I could not see far in it but yet I could see more if that makes any sense to you. Snow was covering up the brown ground and now trails jumped up at you and if anything moved I was going to see it, nothing moved.

At noon I headed back to the HOTEL and I dragged my feet along the trail, I was trying to move some of the snow out of the way and also some of the leaves. I arrived back at the camp to find Reeds bio-diesel RV running. Reed had decided to call his hunt a little short and was going to drive back to town and come back up later in the week in his pickup. Last thing he wanted to do is get stuck in the woods with the RV and the radio was now calling for as much as ten inches to fall maybe more out here in the woods. I made him a copy of this and asked if he would swing by the Lodge and have Gus post it for me. If you are reading this then Reed made it out of the woods and back to town.

My plan for the rest of the afternoon is to wait till things quiet down and then I am going to brush the snow off the rocking chair on the porch and sit out there with a cup of hot chocolate and my 30-30 Figure I can do just as well there as I can in the swamp in the middle of a snowstorm here at Lake Iwanttobethere