• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishin report for Lake Iwanttobethere..

Bobby Bass

FASHION IS PAINFUL that is what I heard a twelve year old boy yell at his mother outside of Al-Mart this morning. Made me chuckle as I watched a young family heading into Al-Mart with the young lad making his "Fashion Statement" leading the way. The fashion statement I guess was that he was wearing baggy, heavy black sweat pants with shoes a tad too big, he had on a black hoodie that was a couple of sizes too big and it looks like he had on an even bigger long sleeve sweatshirt on underneath. It was eighty-one in the shade and dripping humidity out with thunderclouds hanging overhead. I am guessing that his mother had asked him if he was a little over dressed and his answer was the fashion is painful statement. I on the other hand was wearing a tee shirt, shorts and flip flops carrying my wallet and my truck keys. Made me wonder if I was making a fashion statement to, for old people .

Had to go to Al-Mart for some rice, For some reason Ma and Pa's were sold out and I need some for Bud. Bud has had a bad week and has been sick so we are giving him some TLC with a diet of rice and some chicken. Stomach has been acting up and he is not himself. There is some worry going on here as he is almost fourteen and a half and at that age it does not take much to put an old dog in some serious problems. Duncan knows something is up as he will not leave the old dog's side and they are both together every time I check. I was going to do some fishing here but I have put that on hold as I am staying around to keep an eye on the old guy. The wife gave me a little bit of a hard time when I told her I had to drive to Al-Mart to get the rice but I told her I would do the same for her. I came home and found her boiling chicken for Bud.

Been raining off and on the past few days so I have been pretty lazy. Not working on the playhouse even though it did pass the first inspection from the grand daughter. She did say it was small but then I explained I had plans in the works for a deck that would be double the size of the playhouse. That met her approval and I got the green light to move on with the project. Of course she did have to climb up on the metal roof to look that over much to the dismay of her mother who spotted her walking on the roof and started to yell at her from the kitchen window till she saw me standing at the bottom of the ladder. She then just shook her head and disappeared from sight. No doubt to complain to her mother, my wife about me and my granddaughter her daughter.

I should be up at the Resort working today, Vic called me and told me one of the big white pines blew over two days ago. I called Chuck who told me that he and Hammering Hank were already on it. A big tree they cut the trunk up into seven nine foot sections and hauled them to the wood shop where the saw mill is set up. To much weight for the tractor they had to put the mower deck on the back end and then stacked some railroad ties on top of that. Only way they could move the logs and keep the back wheels on the ground. Fellows offered the use of the crane but they were working on a track that had come off so it was quicker to just use the tractor. Chuck told me that the saw logs are too big around to fit on the saw mill so they will have to be cut down some. We should be able to cut up some really nice wood out of the saw logs through. Going to have to start doing that here pretty soon, we are getting a pretty good pile of trees that need to be milled. Well that's it for right now, time to get a feeding in on Bud and rub his ears, he is getting a twinkle back in his eyes so I hope he is on the mend, I am not nearly done having him around here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,096,287}

Video500023-57_zps9321ea77.jpg

NOT A LOT to report today, has been pretty quiet here at Lake Iwanttobethere. Time has been pretty much spent with Bud as he is not doing well. The other night we gathered around the table and we finally talked about what we have been all thinking. That it may be that time when we bring Bud to see Mike the vet and he does what every dog owners hates to do but knows it is best for the pet. Very hard to write about so I am just going to leave it at that for now.

In other doings here at the cabin the playhouse is coming along. I did make it into town yesterday and picked up the siding. I may or may not work on that today as Stormy Clearweather is calling for some humid weather this afternoon and a chance of a thunderstorm. Last night I was at the Resort for awhile. Had to pick up Bud and put him in the Tahoe but he enjoyed the ride and had his head hanging out the window. He walked up the stairs to the Clubhouse and acted like a celebrity as the Fellows were there and everyone took turns rubbing his ears and giving him pats. I exchanged glances with the guys and no words were exchanged about Bud, we have all had dogs and we all shared the passing of a buddy. Bud soaked up the attention and I even saw him wag his tail a few times.

I caught up with Vic and he told me that Dock Burriem and him have been following a school of crappies around the bay, they pretty much have them figured out where they will be at dinner time and fishing has been good. Arlo has been coming in just about every afternoon looking for night crawlers. The trout are still biting up in the creek and as long as they are he will keep feeding them worms. Vic is also trying to make friends with the red fox, he has seen the fox running away from the garden twice this last week with what looks to be rabbits. With the rabbit problem reduced there should be no need for Elmer and Marv to climb back into their ghillie suits. Chuck has been up in the wood shop. The portable saw mill is now set up outside on a level area and he expects to start cutting wood here soon. The nine foot white pine logs may have a future ahead of them as planks for some raised garden beds. We first have to cut them up on the mill and see where we can stack them to dry for next year.

Of course having the Fellows all together at one time I had to ask them what their current money making venture is. Gary was happy to tell me that they have a real money maker going now but they have not yet decided on what they should call it. I sat down with them at the big table and asked them to "Pitch it to me" Gary started off with they want to call it either the "Last Word" or "The Profanity Machine" I sat back trying to get my head around the names and figured I was already lost as to what they were trying to sell. Steve said they got the idea when one of them saw the propane tanks for sale in the rack outside of the Gas-N-Go and read the sign wrong. Anyway they want to market a machine that you can shout profanity at and it will swear back at you. The idea is that you can mouth off to the machine and know that no one is going to take a swing at you. The wife or girlfriend version would let you lip off at your better half and get the last word in. They figure for a quarter it would be a hot item. I nodded at the guys and told them to get back to me when they get a model running. In jest I said maybe a mother in law version would be nice. Gary grabbed a napkin and took out his pencil from behind his ear and I think he wrote that down. Hey if this works it was dreamed up here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,103,804}

A LAZY SILENT Sunday here at the Resort on the banks of the small bay on Lake Iwanttobethere. I came back out to the Resort this morning as I was going to help Chuck cut some of that white pine on the sawmill. I brought Bud back to the cabin last night after Vic had slipped him a bagel with peanut butter and bacon on it. The dog didn't have any problem eating it and I figured I might be getting a little conned over his upset stomach. When Bud got home I told the wife nothing of his bagel eating and she proceeded to hand feed him a can of soft dog food. He looked at me between spoonfuls and I kept his secret.

This morning I left Bud at home and brought Duncan to the Resort. We arrived to sunny sky and a slight breeze. Ten minutes later and it was raining, five minutes after that it was sunny out with a slight breeze. Twenty minutes after that I was using a towel to wipe down the seats in the Tahoe, had forgotten to roll up the windows. With Duncan at my side I was walking to the wood shop when it started raining again, are you sensing a pattern here? I ducked under the porch roof of Dock Burriem's cabin and he came to the screen door and said I should get out of the rain. He open the door and let Duncan in his cabin but closed it before I could get in. He looked at me through the screen and said he was talking to the dog not me. Duncan wagging his tail didn't even look back at me as he followed Dock to the kitchen and his waiting cup of tea and saucer with a couple of cookies.

The rain stopped and I left the cover of the porch and headed to the wood shop, Dock will let Duncan out when he is done with his tea and after he shares his cookies with him. I found Chuck waiting at the wood shop, water dripping from the eves and he was wiping his hands with a old blue towel and looking skyward. "So are we cutting wood today" I asked. Chuck just kind of shrugged his shoulders and said something about not really wanting to work in the rain. We stood side by side looking at the wood mill and the sky and both came up with the same idea at the same time. I headed over to the Fellows camp site. The idea was to have the Fellows start up the crane and lift the metal hut from its resting place where we were using it for a cover to split wood and put it over the portable saw mill. It is nice to have a crane at your disposal, we keep finding so many uses for it.

I made it down to the Fellows camp just as another rain shower started up. I could hear whooping and hollering and I went up to the door to see them all inside gathered around the TV watching a hockey game. Some of you may think it is a little strange to be watching hockey in the middle of summer but once again the crane comes into play. You see the Fellows have put a dish on top of the crane and have the crane pointed north towards Canada. There is always someone playing hockey in Canada. I let myself in and saw that the game was tied at two so I had not really missed to much, with the third period just starting I decided to watch the end of the game and have a brew here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,106,066}

GRAND DAUGHTER WAS here yesterday, she brought over a big bag of stuffed animals for the play house. For her very first birthday I bought her a big stuffed black bear and have been doing it ever since for her birthday and Christmas. Her Dad has joined in on it and now she gets four big stuffed animals a year, she is seven so you do the math. She also has a zoo of smaller stuffed animals and her mother, my daughter has threaten to hold a rummage sale to reduce the animals and make room so her floor in her bedroom can be seen. I made the mistake of saying some of the animals could come to the new playhouse and yesterday the first load arrived. She had maybe six animals in a fifty-five gallon clear plastic trash bag. At first glance all you could see were eyes and mouths smashed against the clear plastic and it did not take to much of an imagination to see they were pleading for their release.

I was sitting on the deck in the shade and the granddaughter sat down alongside of me and asked why I was not working on her playhouse. Told her I was pretty much done for the day already as it was after six and when the sun starts getting lower in the sky I start running out of get up and go. She then looked at me over the top of her cup with the straw dangling from her lips and said "Are you Solar Powered?" After I got done laughing I told her I do believe that I am. That would explain why I don't want to work when it is raining out and why winter seems to be so long. We sat on the deck and talked for awhile, me with some ice tea and her with chocolate milk. Soccer has started and she told me about her first two practices. I told her I already had her games marked on the calendar and I should be able to come to all of them.

Today finds me working away, must be because the sun is shinning. With almost the first week of August out of the way this summer looks like we might not have a long hot spell. I noticed the grass is pretty green as we have been getting rain every few days and the garden is doing pretty good. Still have two months of growing to do and I think I am going to have a wealth of tomatoes and cucumbers. No cauliflower as something got my last plant. I noticed that this morning when I was picking spinach. That and there is still a chipmunk left, I saw him zip through the lettuce and through the potatoes before going through the fence and heading towards Elmer's garden. I was lazy this morning and used the garden hose to water. A nice fine spray got everything wet and it moved the leaves around to reveal a half dozen strawberries that were ripe and ready to be picked, so I did and then I ate them as I watered.

From what I have been hearing fishing has been slow, some fish are being caught but no stories of any big ones either caught or ones that got away. I always seem to spend the middle of July to the Middle of August on dry land. Must be that I have projects to do or it is just too warm and I am waiting for the cooler weather of fall. Speaking of work the saw mill is up and running, as I write this Chuck is cutting up one by boards and stacking them to be cut down to working size wood. The saw mill is a one man operation and I would just be in the way, at least that is what I have been telling him. Told him he has a real Little House On the Prairie Mill going and then I ducked the chunk of bark he tossed at me. Well my battery is full so I better go out and mow the grass, have to get it done before the sun goes down here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,107,668}

WALKING WEDNESDAY HERE at Lake Iwanttobethere. We call it that because over at the golf course on Wednesday no riding golf carts are allowed. Most if not all golf courses up here require you to rent a riding golf cart, that way they get golfers to move along quicker and get more golfers on the course. Mike who owns the golf course likes to fish and several years ago he changed Wednesday to walking so he could spend the day repairing his golf carts, this way he does not have too stay late during the day and can get his fishing in. Surprising a lot of the tourists who come and play the Lake Iwanttobethere course find a relaxing nine holes of walking golf to be quite refreshing but a little hard on their pocketbook.

All golf holes on golf courses have their own local names, here we call hole number eight "The Money Maker" six days of the week it is a dicey little par three. You have to shoot across the creek and up over a small cliff to a green you can not see from the tee. You then have to cross over the bridge and follow a winding trail up to the green to see where your ball landed. Normally a nine iron shot but we have seen tourist use a variety of clubs. No grass grows on the cliff face as balls are repeatedly driven in to the face of the cliff to fall back into the stream where mike later collects them and sells them in the Golf Shop.

The reason us locals call it the money hole is because on Wednesdays Mike will move the hole to the left side of the green normally it is on the far right protected by a bunker you can't see. There is a natural funnel in the ground there and if you hit within ten feet of the hole the ball will trickle down into the cup. Tourist gets a hole in one and everyone in the clubhouse gets a free drink on the tourist. Mike sells enough extra booze to cover the down time on his golf carts and everyone is happy. Of course locals only get to take a two on their scorecard to be fair.

Yesterday day I got the playhouse all covered in felt, had to search in the wood shop for enough paper to cover it all. Today with any luck I will start siding and see how far I get with that. I shot a round of golf early this morning and that is what brought up the golf course. I mention that because the Fellows were all there as they are every Wednesday. Fellows are not ones to pass up on the chance of a free drink or two or three. Dock Burriem, formerly known around these parts as Doc Berrium was also there. He does not look out of place at all as he was wearing his plaid kickers and checkerboard yellow shirt. Back in the day when Dock used to golf a lot his clothes were in style for the golf course and now in retirement his old wardrobe is back in style, at least on the golf course.

With my round of golf in I feel almost like I should go and take a nap but I am sure I will find something to do. Still early here at Lake Iwanttobethere in the middle of the week in the middle of summer and not yet the middle of the day. Wife must have seen me eyeing the easy chair and she brought over the clip board with the Honey Do List on it. Duncan came in with a ball in his mouth and Bud who is feeling much better just dropped his food dish on the floor in front of me. Phone just started ringing and someone is beating on the screen door. So much for a chance at an early nap here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,110,050}

HAS BEEN A pretty nice week here at Lake Iwanttobethere, the kind of week that you call your relatives out of state and brag to them about it. No rain, no high winds, a great week to be staining or painting or in my case enjoy the fact that I did not do any painting or staining. I sat in the shade on the deck and enjoyed watching butterflies float by and bees work on the deck planters. I had a cold glass of something always close at hand and I spent time calling relatives and old friends and rubbing it in how they should be here alongside of me in the empty deck chair. I got a round of golf in, mowed some grass and spent time early in the mornings picking stuff from the garden to munch on later in the day. Last of the strawberries have been picked but raspberries have taken their place. Small carrots are growing and I have been thinning them by pulling them and eating them right in the garden. A couple of ripe tomatoes have found their way to the supper table along with some cucumbers. Peppers have finally appeared and potatoes are fully flowered. Just watching stuff grow in the garden can be an easy way to waste a day away.

Granddaughter had a soccer game and they won, the level she plays at now has goalies and they keep score. A few of the players actually play their positions so it is not like watching a school of fish swimming in a tank. Playhouse is coming along, started putting siding on but got sidetracked. Granddaughter is busy with soccer so she is not in a hurry any more to move in. Neighbor Chuck came over yesterday and sat for a spell. He was looking for an excuse to just enjoy the summer day instead of working. We sat on the deck and talked fishing, gardening and made plans for the boards that will be cut from the big white pine that fell. Right now we are planning making raised beds from the wood which of course led us to talk of what we will be planting in the new beds next spring.

Late in the afternoon yesterday the van with the soccer team came by to drop off the granddaughter, I spoke with the coach who set they had to cancel practice because of a scheduling conflict. Told him I just mowed and if they wanted to kick the ball around here they were welcomed. A few minutes later and I was sitting on the deck with the fly swatter close at hand and the air was filled with the sound of seven year olds kicking soccer balls and girls giggling. The Shyster twins play on the team with my granddaughter and they are good enough kids, they just seem to get in a lot of trouble because of their last name. After an hour or so they all loaded back up in the van and they were gone. Peace returned to the cabin and the grass was a little trampled but none the worse for wear. Elmer came wandering over and he had that look about him. He shuffled up the stairs and sat down on the deck chair next to me. Rubbing a couple of days of growth on his chin he was looking around and finally I broke the silence and asked him what he was looking for. He said he was taking a nap and he had a dream about being back in grade school and hearing the Shyster sisters laughing.

I nodded my head but did not tell him anything about the little soccer practice. Elmer sat back in the chair and closed his eyes and I did the same. I was not thinking about the Shyster sisters but I did have some passing thought about the Hayes twins here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,119,173}

YESTERDAY WAS SILENT Sunday and I did my best to keep quiet but it was also baby M's birthday party. I hauled a load of chairs over in the Tahoe and arrived a half hour late but yet I was still on time. Even though the outdoor party was to start at two there were still family and friends showing up till after three. Kids running around and the slip and slide was in operation. I found a nice place under a tree and set up my chair and sat back to be an observer not a participant. I am the grandfather and I watched as my son in law tended the grill and my daughter made the rounds of the tables serving soda and coffee. I was not alone as the wife was with me when she was not in deep conversation with the other grandmother and trading sewing ideas and the recipe to her brownies. The two dogs as soon as they spotted me came over to get pats on the backs and rubs behind their ears. They left every time someone new came to the back yard but they always returned to sit under the tree with me.

A peaceful day as there was not the sound of any construction in the air just kids having fun and the background noise of several conversations at once. I sat under the tree with a small table and my glass of ice with some soda and relaxed. That morning I had finished putting the last two pieces of siding on the playhouse. Put all the tools away and the next step is staining but that was not going to happen that day as rain was in the forecast. As I sat in my chair the first drop fell, well at least the first drop that I felt. The drop had to work its way down through the canopy of leaves and branches before it hit my knee. Didn't even make a splat as it was just a little drop. The other grandmother made noise about how it was raining and fled inside the house. Kids who were playing in the pool and on the slip and slide didn't even know or care that some rain was falling.

Ladies headed for the inside of the house but the menfolk formed small groups and stood under the leaves of trees. Paper plates were held in one hand while hot dogs and brats were eaten with the other. It never rained hard, just kind of a sprinkle fell. The kind of rain that you would not even bother putting on a rain coat if you were out fishing. After a while the granddaughter came out to tell all the menfolk that cake was going to be served and she was not going to bring it out to them. We left our chairs that were still dry where we had sat and made our way inside to cake and presents and the off key singing of Happy Birthday.

I drove back to the cabin with the daughter and a load of damp chairs. The rain followed me and I had to turn the wipers on. Arrived home and let the dogs out who ran and played on the wet grass. Guess it has been a week or so since we have gotten any rain and as I walked around the yard with the dogs I did notice that the ground was showing cracks under the grass. I went and stood under the big overhang on the new playhouse and watched as the dogs with noses down worked the wet grass. The rain lasted almost till this morning. I woke up once as I had the window open and I could hear the water coming off the roof to hit the rain barrel. The barrel must be full again and the rain coming off the eve was playing a tune on the plastic cover. A little wind was blowing and it must be moving the falling stream of water as it sounded like it was hitting the barrel and then hitting the deck and back again. I didn't listen to long, I was soon back to sleep here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,122,059}

CHANGE IS COMING I can feel it in the air, this morning as I sat out on the deck with my first glass of orange juice of the day I could feel just a little nip in the air. It might be because the deck chair I was sitting on was damp from the surprise rain that fell last night just at dusk. It was not supposed to rain at least it was not in Stormy Clearweathers forecast but that does not mean that it could not happen. I was at the granddaughter soccer game and I saw the dark clouds coming in over the tree tops and I had a feeling it was going to get wet. The youth soccer games are held in the outfield of the softball field. A large portion of the crowd that comes and watches these games are grandparents and for most of us we have not stepped on the grass of an outfield of a softball field for decades. For us old folks who were not smart enough to bring a fold up chair we sat on the ground and watched the game. When it was over we helped each other get up off the grass and no excuses were made about bad knees or sore hips. We were old and it just takes a little help getting up off the ground these days.

The long finger of civilization is getting a little closer to the cabin here at Lake Iwanttobethere. On my ride back home I saw they were getting closer to paving a section of the road that goes by the point where I have my cabin. It will be nice to be that much closer to pavement but then again having pavement that close takes away some of the country out of living out on the point. When I got back home last night Duncan ran out to greet me and did his normal jumping and running around the Tahoe. Buddy still recovering from being sick took his time walking out to meet me halfway. I reached down and gave him a pat on his side and he head bumped my knee before the two of us walked to the cabin taking our time. Barney just sat on the deck and gave me his "What's up look" before lying back down on the deck and going back to the nap I am sure I interrupted.

This morning I am a little sore and moving a little slower, might be why I am thinking there is a change coming. Of course yesterday I hauled a load of wood down to the high school football field. School is starting up here soon and already the call went out for wood for the homecoming bonfire. I had a mess of plywood from the old shed and a couple of stumps that I donated. Made the wife happy about getting rid of the wood as if it stays around long enough she knows I will build something out of it. Told her that when I finished siding the playhouse that I would clean house so I hauled all the wood scraps down to the field. A couple of the football players helped unload the Dodge so that was good. They were holding a captains practice and were using the field. Of course they are not supposed to be on the field but somehow this time of the year the lock on the gate is gone and instead there is a big chain that hangs loosely from the gate to the pole. Funny how there is enough slack in the chain to let people enter the field now.

County fair starts up this weekend and the week after that the kids are headed back to school, where did summer go? Seems like it was just last week and the kids were jumping off the dock to go swimming for the first time. I am already noticing less lights on the lake at dusk, seems like some people have already started to stay home and not come up to the lake. Another three weeks and the lake will go quiet and I will be fishing alone. Best time if you ask me, no jet ski's and no waiting at the launch. Trouble is then you have to decide between working on the cabin, fishing or going to take a walk in the woods with Duncan, What a terrible problem to have here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,123,877}

TAKING A BREAK from staining and painting outside. Other day I got the sprayer out and spent ten minutes spraying the siding of the playhouse and then thirty minutes cleaning up the sprayer. I sided the playhouse in rough pine siding and the sprayer was the way to go, I would still be out there with a brush if I did it that way. So today I am brushing all the trim on the ground. It is all cut but needs to be stained then when it dries I will go ahead and nail it up. While I was at it I had some corners that needed to be done for the shed and shop that I had not gotten around to so what should have been an easy job became a chore. I was all set up with the saw horses and had the wood all laid out when the sun decided to appear and I was soon sweating away and a pleasant task became work. I hate work.

Now I am waiting for the sun to slide around to the other side of the cabin and I will have shade to work in. The time was not a loss though as I had lunch, wife cooked up some polish and I followed it up with a nice slab of ice cold watermelon that I bought last night out at the produce stand on the highway. I bought the watermelon, the whole thing not just a slab. The melon has been sitting in the fridge overnight and has chilled to the proper temperature. Granddaughter had another soccer game last night, better outcome as her team won 7-2 after being down 2-0 I took the round about way back to the cabin as it was a nice night and I was in no big hurry. I saw Clive was still manning his stand and I pulled into to chat some and check on his produce.

Clive and I exchanged HIYA's and we made small talk, the usual stuff, wife, kids, grand kids. Been out fishing much where ya been catching them at. A few little fishermen lies were exchanged and Clive went to help a little old lady who was picking through his sweet corn and dropping the ears back on the table after tearing the husk back and poking the kernels with her finger nail. I heard her say to Clive that she can buy better corn then this down the road, and cheaper to! I then heard Clive tell her she better be on her way and get there before they close. I chuckled some to myself as Clive came back to me and we both watched the lady make a scene for another couple who were looking over the tomatoes. Clive started to clap his approval and to my surprise the family joined in and so did I. The lady left in a huff and Clive said to me, "Sometimes I do so love having my on business"

The young family waved at Clive and he went over and put fourteen ears of corn into a paper bag and then charged them for six. The family left with a promise that they would be back. A few more minutes of chit chat and I told Clive I needed him to pick me out a good watermelon and he reached under the table and held one up for me to see. "I was going to bring this one home for myself, but its all yours for five dollars even." Clive looked at me and I smiled and replied, "You know down the road I can get that same melon for four dollars, BUT I think I would rather have yours instead." Money was exchanged and I headed back to the cabin, the watermelon sitting in the granddaughter's car seat behind me. Would not be a proper day for staining unless it was sunny and I had chilled watermelon here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,128,558}

WAIT FOR IT that is what I am thinking here at Lake Iwanttobethere this morning. I was up early and out on the deck in time to catch the calm of day break. Most people think that early in the morning it is pretty quiet out but if you take a seat and look around it is actually a pretty busy time of the day. I sat down on one of the wood chairs on the deck and I was alone, dog wise. The dogs were all still sleeping in the cabin and it was one of those rare times when I was alone. Right off the bat a couple of crows flew low overhead, they were so low I could see their eyes as they looked me over as a possible breakfast opportunity. The air was still and the waters of Lake Iwanttobethere were dead calm, not even a ripple and the old wood row boat sat tied to the wood dock and was so still in the water that the dock and boat looked like they were a painting and not the real thing.

Every thing might have been so still because the air was so heavy. The sky was overcast and it was giving that threat of pending rain. I sat on the deck chair and leaned back against the wood slats and waited. Edd and Eddie the squirrels were the next to arrive. They bounced across the grass one following the other without a care in the world. Big busy tails following them as they searched for what ever it is they search for. They were distracted by a couple of chipmunks that zipped across their path. The chipmunks seem to only have two speeds, the o so slow to tease Duncan speed and the hyper light speed that leaves them as a blur. They were in hyper light speed mode and I looked back the way they had come to see if something was chasing them. Nothing appeared so I just figured the chipmunks were being chipmunks.

Seagulls drifted by, these I know were heading down to the softball field to do their morning scavenger hunt. A hummingbird just appeared out of no where and checked the feeder for a second before elevating and heading in Elmer's cabin's direction. The calm heavy air carried sounds from a distance as I heard the barking of a dog from across the lake and as I sat in the chair from time to time I would hear the moo of a cow. The silence was broken as the storm door behind me slammed and Duncan appeared. He walked over to me and stretched and then allowed me to pat him on his head before he slow walked to the edge of the deck and then gathered himself and jumped into a new day.

The moment was gone as Bud and Barney were next out the door and they to came to me for a quick good morning before stepping down off the deck and on to the grass. Ed and Eddie were gone at the sound of the storm door and Duncan was already where they were, nose down and sniffing. I got up out of the chair and the cracking of my knees added to the sounds of the morning and I walked off the deck and on to the grass. I took the path down to the lake and just around the high grass of the bank I spotted a dozen geese. The past week the geese have appeared. Don't know if they are passing through or they are from the other side of the lake and have found something to keep them interested over here now. Duncan seeing me came flying down the hill only to put on the brakes when he saw the geese.

He tossed out a few of his big dog barks and the geese just looked at him and a couple flared their wings and stood tall. Must be lake geese as normally the wild ones take wing but these guys were not giving up any ground. Matter of fact a few of them were heading in my direction acting like winged bullies. I figured Duncan needed some back up so I yelled for the boys. Buddy came down the hill, not running but he had some seriousness about him. Barney saw his brother heading down the hill and followed. Duncan with some reinforcements barked a few more of his big dog barks and the geese answered with a barrage of honks, we had the beginnings of a conflict. That was until Bud put his head down and charged into the geese sending the ones on shore back into the water and Duncan and Bud followed right behind him for support.

With the geese all now swimming out past the dock Duncan ran up on to the dock and gave them a few of his "Don't come back here barks" Barney took up his position on the dock and Bud panting some started the walk back up the hill. He had that look of his on that he gives Duncan when he is teaching him something. I to turned to walk up the hill and the calm was gone. As I started the walk up the tree tops started to sway and I could hear the sound of wind arriving. The leaves made that rustling noise when wind blows through them and then the wind hit my face. I figured I would just go back to the deck and sit in my chair and wait for the rain to start here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,130,811}

THIS MORNING I woke up and laid in bed for awhile thinking that it sure would be nice if we all had stunt doubles. I'll tell you why as you read on. The past four days I have had the pleasure of having my number two granddaughter here. She is my little fishing buddy and the plan was for us to go out on the Puddle Humper and get some last of summer fishing in before school starts next week. She had a break between soccer games so she convinced her parents that she needed some cabin time with Papa. Saturday we were going to spend the day at the county fair but we got rained out. Sunday was going to be a fishing day, but we got rained out. She stayed an extra day and fishing was planned for Monday, but we got rained out. Yesterday she had to go home but the morning was still busy as we found some projects to do on her playhouse, between rain showers.

I made the mistake of taking the granddaughter up on a challenge, the challenge was to see who gets hurt more. The granddaughter is not having the best of summer having fallen off her bike a few times and skinning up her knees and elbows. I give her a hard time about her bruises and she tells me they are signs that she is busy and not sitting on her butt, I agreed. Last week she was with her dad and slipped off a long board, which is just a big skate board and took some skin off her knee. I called her a klutz and she made the challenge that I get hurt more than she does. She may be right or I think she just jinxed me. Yesterday morning with some light rain falling we went into the garden to pick raspberries for breakfast. I was leaning in picking berries and I stepped in closer and put my foot down on the rake that the wife had leaned up against the fence but not in the correct position. The rake as you might have already guessed smacked me squarely between the eyes and I was up one to nothing on the injury scoreboard. To make it worse the granddaughter pointed and me and said "Classic" I question what she meant by that and she said getting the rake between the eyes was a classic Tom and Jerry.

With rain showers still falling later in the day I was working on making shutters for the playhouse, I was in and out of the wood shop going up a couple of planks that serve as a ramp through the big roll up door. I had just told the granddaughter to be very careful of the wood planks as they are slippery and she better go around and use the stairs. Not listening to myself I went out the roll up door with a tape measure in my hand and took one step before my feet flew out from under me and I landed hard on my back and bounced off the planks to land on my side on the wet grass. The granddaughter hearing me hit the planks and then the ground came around the side of the shop and asked me if I was OK, I told her no and she replied with ""I'll go get help."

With the help of the wife I was sitting on the deck a few minutes later. Nothing was broke and I didn't hit my head. I was pretty muddy but the lite rain was washing me off and I didn't really want to go inside the cabin. I was to busy checking out fingers and wrists and my neck to see if anything else was going to be hurting besides my back and ribs. The granddaughter was close at hand and she asked me if I was OK and if I needed anything, told her I will be fine and that is when the wife made a comment about her giving me the peace sign, I knew what she was really doing, the fall was Number Two. So this morning I figured I was either going to be feeling fine and bounce out of bed or would be so sore I could not move at all. I am feeling somewhere in between and that is why I thought it would be so nice to have a stunt double. I am getting to old to be falling on the ground, I just don't bounce like I used to here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,141,457}

TODAY'S UPDATE IS coming to you from the Resort where I decided to hang my hat for a few days to recuperate in peace and quiet. I brought Bud with me as we are both moving at the same pace, nice and slow. Since it is nothing but a bunch of old guys here the lights are out by ten and everyone is up by six, except me who slept in because I am recuperating. Dock Burriem gave me a couple of pokes in the side last night and told me it looks like I may have bruised my ribs some but I should mend. Of course being an old guy it might take some time if I was young I would have just fallen and bounced back up and went back to work. I must admit I do feel a lot better this morning so I will chalk it off as something I don't want to do again. Speaking from a management point of view I did go out and buy a small sticker at the General Store that says SLIPPERY WHEN WET, and stuck it on the door by the wood planks to remind me that the planks do get slippery when wet.

Here at the Resort the wind is blowing briskly and the wind chimes are banging. The red needle on the jumping deer thermometer is bouncing right at sixty and it actually feels pretty comfortable out. Overcast sky and a few rain drops every now and then but I would rather have this then ninety degrees in the shade. Vic told me it was a little wet on the morning boat ride to pick up the mail and paper but it has been the best day of the past week as it has been raining everyday. I think I wrote just last week that we are having two of the very best weeks of summer. We are now paying for those nice days. Grass needs to be mowed but to wet, lots of standing water and mushrooms have popped up everywhere. Fellows have been holding slugs races as there are no shortage of them. Arlo has not been in the Bait Room this week as night crawlers are laying out on the ground free for the picking.

I decided to stay a few days at the Resort because if I stayed at the cabin I would start working on some project and go ahead and strain myself. Here at the Resort there is plenty to do but there are enough guys around that we can all get together and decide to do the work later. Not many campers here but all the cabins are full and of course the Fellows are here off and on and Dock Burriem is here along with Vic, Gus and Elmer. I heard the saw mill running this morning so Chuck must have come while I was sleeping in late. Pretty good stack of wood already cut and there is a big mound of sawdust outside of the wood shop. Just like back at the cabin the strawberries are done here but the wild raspberries bushes are full. I took a bowl out and picked just from the tops so I would not have to bend over and the bowled filled up pretty quickly. I brought the berries back to the Main Room and Marv seeing them told me he could have some tarts made up by this afternoon and I agreed and gave him the bowl. Actually I was hoping that is exactly what he would do with the berries.

A couple of the Fellows came in the Club House for lunch and I saw they had a cardboard box with them that they set it down on the big table. Being a little curious I got up from the booth and made my way over. The box was marked County Fair and when I asked what was in the box Steve told me they had a box of extension cords that they had made to sell at the fair but they did not sell as well as planned. I said I might be interested as I am always short on extension cords and Steve went right into his sales pitch and said " Have you ever been in the position when you are just a little short on your extension cord and you don't want to have to go back to the shop and get a big one? Well here is the perfect solution for when you are short three inches." He then open the box and showed me the Fellows answer to being short a few inches here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,144,386}

theplug_zps5ef73333.jpg

SITTING IN BOOTH number one here at the Resort. Water drops are chasing each other down the glass of the big window as it is a foggy morning. Matter of fact the fog is so thick I can't tell if there is some rain falling in the fog. A small fire is burning in the pot belly stove, nothing big just something to make some flickering light and a little heat, it makes the main room look cozy. It is Friday and like most resorts around Lake Iwanttobethere it is check in and check out day. We had a couple of cabins rented out and I feel a little bad for the tourist that spent a rainy week here. One was a young couple who I have a feeling didn't care about the weather as they were not seen out of their cabin to often. The other cabin was by an older couple, they did spend a lot of time apart the guy's name was Kent and he fished a lot off the dock. Didn't catch much but he said he had a great time, his day job is a banker in the big city and not having to put on a tie and fish in bare feet was a vacation all by itself. He even made friends with a few of the Fellows which might come back to haunt him later, him being a banker and the Fellows always having ideas that need money.

By late afternoon yesterday I was feeling pretty good. So I walked up to the wood shop and checked in on Chuck and the saw mill. Wood is stacked high and soon as it stops raining the tractor will be brought around and the stacks of wood will be moved over to our makeshift drying area. I moved about two boards before I reached to far and felt a sharp jab in the ribs. Dropped the board and Chuck had a brief look of concern on his face. He then saw that the board was OK and asked me if I was OK to. Decided I should take a walk and Bud was feeling good enough that he joined me. A slow trip was made over to the garden and then back to the Club House taking the trail where we would run the water tank up to the garden. The trail was pretty overgrown as there has been no need to haul water to the garden this summer. I did notice a lot of frogs and I am too old and to slow to catch any of them but I figure the granddaughter would be quick enough. Made a note to myself to bring the granddaughter up for a frog hunt. Frogs make a great fall bait here on Lake Iwanttobethere

Dock Burriem came in to pick up some Raspberry tarts that Marv had made yesterday. As Marv went back to get the tarts Dock came over to the booth and asked about my ribs. I gave him a little white lie and told him I was on the mend. He looked at me over the top of his trifocals and said "That is not what I heard, do I have to put you on a lifting restriction?" I shook my head no and promised to be a good boy. Dock then said I should have a beer with lunch, for the pain and walked over to Marv to get his tarts. Sometimes Dock is OK but now I have to wai for lunch time.

Looking out the big window the fog is lifting but it is raining, nothing heavy but everything is soaking wet and the falling rain is just making puddles and dripping off the roof and railings. The lake is calm but I don't see anyone out fishing in our little bay. Except for Vic who is sitting in his boat that is tied up along side the dock. Hammering Hank and Skinny have hung a couple of lines out and now the mail boat as we call it is protected from the rain with a big tarp that is hanging from the lines. Next year we are going to put in a covered boat lift in and Vic will not have to get into a wt boat anymore to go get the mail. Now I can see him in the boat and can just make out a bobber floating off the stern. From time to time I see a puff of smoke so he must have a cigar burning. Actually that sounds like a pretty good idea and I think I might just wander down to the boat and see if I can get invited on board. If I can't do any work I might as well be doing some bobber watching here on Lake Iwanttobethere {2,147,014}

GOOD OLD FASHION soaker of a thunderstorm fell here just after dark last night. I am still at the Resort after making a brief trip to the cabin to pick up some clothes and exchanging Buddy for Duncan. No sooner did I get out of the Tahoe then the wife greeted me along with Duncan and the first thing she said was " Do you know what your dog did?" Why is it that whenever a dog does something wrong it then becomes your dog? While she was making her statement Duncan came trotting over to me and head bumped my knee. I cut the wife off and told her "How about Duncan goes back to the Resort with me?" She just turned and walked back into the cabin and Duncan looked up at me with his tail waving and gave me his "you and me " look.

A couple of hours later and Duncan was sitting in the car seat in the back of the Tahoe and I had a brown paper bag with a half a batch of peanut butter cookies, Seems a certain dog has taken a liking to peanut butter cookies and has learned how to open the cookie jar. I have gotten real comfortable at the Resort the past few days. Back is feeling better except when I roll over on it the wrong way. I asked Dock Burriem about that and he told me simply "Don't do that." Thursday night I watched the football game with the FELLOWS and we won, it was only a pre season game but a win is a win, they are always better then losses. I don't remember what I did on Friday, it was almost like being on vacation. O wait now that I think of it I did spend some time in Vic's boat tied off to the dock. Watched his bobber with him for awhile, smoked a fat cigar and traded stories while water dripped off the tarp over our heads.

Saturday evening I was pretty bored till I found Marv, Vic and Elmer in the main room watching TV. Actually they were watching some taped stuff. We have a small video library of DVD'S that we lend out to campers. Over the course of our first season the little collection has grown as guys have added to it and sometimes guests will donate to the shelf. When we cleaned up the Resort we found a couple of boxes of VHS tapes and the FELLOWS donated a couple of VCR's and now we have a couple of cardbaord boxes labeled SEEN and NOT SEEN. The guys were just started to watch one of the unseen tapes. What makes it interesting is the tapes are not labeled so you have no idea what you are going to be watching. Vic taped a lot of stuff and just never put labels on them so as I sat down with a bowl of popcorn I had no idea what I was going to be watching.

I got lucky, Roasanne followed by Tool Time then a Coach episode and a hour of Hill Street Blues. The guys and I sat and chatted during commercials and tried to figure out what year we were watching. I know we could have fast forwarded through the commercials but even the old commercials were entertaining. Matter of fact that is how we figured it out that we were watching shows from 1996 as there were movie trailers for THE ROCK and DRAGONHEART. The last thing we watched was the news, the opening story was about rising gas prices and what we can do. The screen then flashed on a gas station price sign and we just gasped at how high gas had gone up to back in 1996, the sign clearly showed prices had jumped to 119.9 We finished the tape and took it out of the player and put it in the SEEN box. We didn't label it instead it will be a surprise for someone else to watch on a rain day here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,153,908}

WOKE UP THIS morning with Duncan in my face, well he was actually standing over me in bed holding my cell phone in his mouth which when seeing that I was awake he dropped on my chest. He then flopped down on the bed beside me and rolled over on his back stuck his four paws straight up in the air and gave out a loud sigh, kind of like a "This is the life sigh." Picking the phone off my chest I see I had missed a call and I called back. It was the wife, probably calling me to tell me she wants Duncan back and she misses the cookie thief. I was wrong, she was calling to remind me that the yard looks pretty ragged and I better come back and mow today, I started to protest saying that tomorrow is mowing day and she countered with I better check the forecast. I ended the call and Duncan and I got up and went downstairs. The smell of bacon and coffee was in the air and a sunny sky greeted me, then Vic told me about the rain coming for at least the next three days.

Ate breakfast and Duncan and I jumped into the Tahoe I had to run into town for a few things and I was surprised when I drove by Amy's Bakery and Sub Shop and I saw a grand opening banner hanging from the building. I know I have not been into town for awhile but this was a surprise to me so I had to stop and find out what was going on. I made my way into the Bakery and the first thing I noticed that there was a new archway between the bakery and the store next door which happen to be the twenty-four hour gym. The gym was no more, it had gone out of business and now Amy had taken over the space. The thing is all the exercise equipment was still in the gym and now Amy had moved in some tables and people were hanging out in the gym eating donuts and drinking coffee while leaning on weight equipment and treadmills. I found Amy and asked her what going on and she just smiled at me and waved her arms at all the customers. She told me she thinks she found a new fad as it is unreal how many people just hated the exercise equipment and sitting on a stack of weights eating a apple turnover is so much more rewarding. I left the Bakery and Amy's thinking that I might have just found a new reason to start going to the gym.

Made my way over to the General Store exchanged HIYA's with Big Earl outside the store and waved at Barb the cashier. Went back to Lawn and Garden and picked up a spool of line trimmer line and a bag of Kit Kat's. The Halloween candy is already out and I shook my head at the thought of Halloween already but nice to see the bags of candy that will restock the candy bowl for the grand kids. Paid for the string and candy bars and Barb of course gave me my discount and I was back on my way. Drove through the construction site on my way to the cabin, Waved at a few of the workers and spoke to the foreman, we are now on a first name basis. Parked alongside the garage and Duncan jumped out. Bud took his time walking over to me and I waited for him. Gave him a good ear rub and then the two of us walked to the cabin. Grass was still wet from morning dew so there will be no mowing till late this afternoon.

Rain in the forecast for the holiday weekend, seems pretty fitting as this has been a wet summer and pretty cool as summers go. I am not complaining mind you I would rather have to add a sweatshirt then have to sit in front of the A/C because it is too hot to do anything. This time next week the lake will be quiet as most people think summer is over with. For us locals this is the time when we start fishing and get into the woods. Discounted rounds over at the golf course and the skeet league will be starting up at down at the Lodge. Just a great time of the year to live here at Lake Iwanttobethere. {2,160,447}

RAIN DROPS ARE falling here at the cabin on the shores of Lake Iwanttobethere, what a surprise! But I did get the grass mowed. Normally by this time of the summer I would not be worrying about mowing grass as the rain would be sparse and the grass growing season all but done. Not this year though, no lack of moisture falling from the sky and the swamps are full of water along with the roadside ditches. No complaints from anyone about having a hard time launching boats and even some of the pot holes that hardly ever get fished are seen now with a boat or two on them. Duck hunters are going to find a few new places to hunt or if you are an old hunter you will be able to hunt a few places you have not been on for awhile.

Need to go down to the General Store today and buy myself a frog net. Had an accident on the riding lawn tractor yesterday and I need to replace the net I had. Grand daughter number two is already back in school so I if I want to catch any frogs I was going to have to do it myself during the week. I was thinking of going to the Resort this weekend with her, at least that was and is still the plan. Yesterday I filled the lawn tractor with gas and I didn't get ten yards into the yard mowing when a big old frog hopped up in front of me and headed for the brush. I hopped off the tractor in pursuit but that was probably all in my mind as that frog was long gone before I even got out of the seat. I kicked the grass some but no frog. I returned to the garage and looked through the rafters in search of my frog catching net. Nothing more then one of those big aquarium nets attached to one of them pickers you use to grab stuff with.

I found the grabber/net and replaced the duct tape holding the net to the grabber. The tape had dried all out and was not doing much to hold everything together. Next was to get a gallon plastic square jug that I had borrowed from the wife's kitchen a few years back. I took the jug and with a bungee cord I secured it to the back of the garden tractor. With grabber/net in hand I mounted the garden tractor and was now ready to mow the lawn and catch frogs. I imagine I looked something like one of them guys on horseback with a lance, except I was riding a lawn tractor with a aquarium net attached with duct tape to a grabber. You may laff but this system actually does work, sometimes. It does work better on grass that has already been cut as then the grabber does not get hung up. I usually mow in a circle herding the frogs into the center of the yard as they avoid the tractor. Sometimes a frog will break away and try to escape to the tree line and this is when the race is on. The wife says I look silly chasing down a frog with a garden tractor. I see myself as a knight in battle leaning down over the side of my steed with my lance, er I mean grabber in position to snatch up the fleeing frog from my kingdom.

On a good day I can catch a dozen frogs, yesterday was not a good day. I saw that one frog and did not see another till I was almost done mowing. The problem and I never remember it till I it comes frog catching time is what to do with the net/graber when it is not in my hand. I need to put hooks or something on the tractor to carry the grabber. Yesterday I kind of propped it alongside of me and kind of forgot it was there. I spotted a good size frog fleeing across cut grass and I was already thinking that it was a perfect size to be fishing off the dock with. I cranked the wheel and floored the tractor and I was zipping across the yard in hot pursuit, probably doing about six miles an hour. I pulled out the grabber and swung it ahead of me getting in position to make a graceful sweep and pickup when I hit a bump in the yard. The grabber dipped under the front wheel and was pulled from my hand and a split second later the blades of the mower chopped it up. I let off the gas to see the tattered net/grabber behind me and the frog escaping to the woods. So that is why I need to go to town today and buy myself a new net and a new grabber, it looks like frog jousting season is here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,166,748}

SO FAR A quiet holiday weekend here at Lake Iwanttobethere. Today I have my hat hanging a at the Lodge as I am filling in for Gus who has gone to the state fair. He did not go alone as all the FELLOWS went, along with Elmer, Marv and Dock Burriem. Yesterday they all left in Reeds bio-diesel RV and Big Earl and Junior followed in the support pick up truck. I did not go with as I did not think my back would be able to handle the ride sitting in a fold up aluminum chair. Instead I told the guys I would stay back and handle things here. The FELLOWS then put me in charge of bail money, you know just in case things get out of hand down at the Fair.

With a lot of stools empty in the Lodge yesterday was pretty slow. Did have some tourist come in from time to time and their kids would leave behind fingerprints on the glass case of the candy counter. With Gus gone I let Honey Sauce do the cooking and I sat back and watched Vinnie take care of customers. I did have some chats with a fishermen sending them out to different parts of Lake Iwanttobethere. I told them they have to come back to the Lodge and give me their fishing report. I have already found a few hot spots this way and also have eliminated some water that I was thinking about fishing. Have a small fire going in the fireplace, a lot of post it notes and telephone messages written on them yellow and pink slips. I just tossed in some that were dated June 22nd, I think they were birthday well wishes. Guess it has been awhile since I checked my mail here at the Lodge.

Already this morning I got two fishing reports and sent a couple of groups out with some hot spot information. I had to get a map out of the lake so I can mark down my fishing reports. I have it right here under the bar so I don't have to go far to add the good reports and mark off the bad spots. No breeze at all moving the leaves on the trees this morning, cloudy sky but no rain, yet. Lake looks pretty calm and there are a number of trailers down at the landing. No one in the fish cleaning house that I can see and the seagulls are just about done cleaning up the park. Campground does not seem to be as full as it should be. Still a mess of different colored tents can be seen from the Lodge and towels hang limp from clothes lines with no breeze to dry them.

Twitch and his dog Zap were in early this morning. Looking for a couple of conies to go. They were heading out fishing and wanted the conies for lunch. They like them cold especially Zap. I think Zap gets the bun and Twitch gets the hot-dog, nothing strange about that other then they are cold. Another reason why it was quiet yesterday is the ladies did not hold their Saturday meeting of the Ladies Auxiliary. The small meeting room was quiet and the double doors were wide open. I of course did not get my apple/blueberry/strawberry/rasberry pie but I guess it was a fair trade for the quiet.

Today I am looking for more of the same, quiet that is. Might find myself over on the wicker couch and sit in Elmer's spot and watch a little baseball. It is a good spot to watch the TV and still be able to look out the big windows of the Lodge. I expect that sooner or later the park will start getting busy and the boat launch will get crowded. Campground is already starting to stir as I write this and I can see some kids heading up the trail with dollars in their hands. Got a feeling I am going to have to stock the candy case today here at Lake Iwanttobethere. 2,172,017}

THAT TIME OF the year that I only have time to wtite fishing reports is when it is raining out. Guess what, it is raining out. Well actually it is just dripping now. For the past several hours a mess of thunderstorms moved over this end of the lake and I was woken up by a close lightning strike and of course the cabin rattling from the boom of thunder that followed. I open my eyes to see Duncan sitting on the edge of the bed looking out the window at the falling rain. Dog has no problem with loud noises and being a lab he could be the poster dog for his love of having any excuse to be wet.

Yesterday afternoon the threat of rain was with us just about all day and heavy rain did fall on the other side of the lake. A few sprinkles here just enough to make me put tools away. The playhouse is completed all except the door which I need to hang but every time I get around to it the rain comes. Already granddaughter number two is declaring it hers and is starting to decorate inside. Told her she will have to share it with her cousins when they come to visit but she just shrugs her shoulders and asks me if I think she should have grandma make curtains.

School is back in session and the cabin is quiet without grand kids around during the week. Means I have to water the gardens and pick up after the dogs myself. Have been turning over a few of the tatter mounds and this year's crop is much better than last years. Tomatoes are turning red which is way better then last year and onions and spinach have been harvested. Still some raspberries to pick in the morning but the corn is a failure. Might get stalks big enough to do some Halloween decorating but if I want any to eat I am going to have to go out and see Clive at the roadside produce stand.

Fellows made it back from the state fair with no incidents to report. Some of them were sporting state fair, I SET THE RECORD tee shirts as the fair set an attendance record. The Fellows are saying that they were the ones who put the fair over the top and are proud of the attendance record. First good attendance record they have ever set although they have other attendance records at the Lake Iwanttobethere high school that are still talked about. Reed likes to bring his Bio diesel down to the fair on the last weekend as he usually scores pretty good on the last day picking up cooking oil. This year as soon as the RV rolled into the fair grounds they were granted permission to just go ahead and pull right into grounds. The security guard at the gate smelling the RV thought they were just another food truck. Talking with Reed yesterday he mentioned that the fuel he is brewing in his garage has a different smell to it, might be because of all the different kind of food they deep fry at the fair.

Around the cabin here I have been busy, picking in the garden and cleaning up around the place. Making a big effort to get things put away early so winter don't catch me and I plan on fishing here as soon as the rain stops. Matter of fact I had to double pinkie swear with the granddaughter that I would get her out fishing one more time. Saturday I am going out with the daughter and the granddaughter and we are going to make a day of it. Down to the Gas-N-Go to fuel up and pick up snacks then over to visit Vicki at the Masterbaiters where we will buy some crawlers and check out fishing tackle. Then the ride to a quiet access that should be out of the forecasted wind. We will do some fishing and take a boat ride and on the way home we will stop for ice cream. I hope the day will end with us having a fish dinner and maybe spend some time out by the fire pit and watch the stars. Some crickets should add to the background noise as we listen to the popping wood and no doubt we will have to put our flannel jackets on here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,181,386}

WOKE UP TO a taste of fall this morning here at Lake Iwanttobethere. Overcast sky, windy and the red needle on the bass thermometer is stuck on fifty-five. Stepped out on the deck and wearing shorts might not be such a good idea today. But I just went back in the cabin and slipped on a hoodie and I was dressed for the weather then. Getting the Puddle Humper ready to take daughter number two and grand daughter number two out fishing tomorrow. Batteries are charged and I switched up fishing rods. I just have a couple of rods in there as I was making room for the daughters poles and I need a little extra room for the lunch/snack cooler. Already made a trip down to the Gas-N-Go and fueled up the Tahoe and put some more gas in the boat tank so I will not have to stop tomorrow. Looking forward to taking the girls out as I am not planning on fishing much but I am going to bring along the video camera and see if I can get enough action to make a short movie.

Yesterday was a little warmer then today, some wind but also some sunshine. Got the yard mowed and a few other chores out of the way. Had a fire going in the fire pit all day and pretty much burned up all the scrap wood left over from building the playhouse. I still have that door to hang and maybe today I will get around to doing it but it is nice not to have the door in the way when going in and out as I am putting in shelf's and hooks. Was cooking at the same time as I had a slow cooker going filled with chili makings. Had some bread rising and daughter number one and her husband were coming over for dinner and Elmer was following his nose at lunch time and invited himself for supper. The long do list of fall is now sitting on the desk and just like every other year I try and get an early start on it but get distracted with fall fishing and a few last rounds of golf and then the leaves start falling and it is time to take a walk with Bud and Duncan in the woods with the old twenty gage in the crook of my arm.

I did manage to mark off a few things on the list yesterday but they were replaced with some more things that got added to the list. I stayed busy all day but today I don't remember what I was doing. With the sun setting a few minutes earlier everyday we seem to lose day light a lot quicker. Mosquitoes are still around though, little sob's are out in the middle of the day and along with the black fly's summer is still hanging on a little. A lot of crickets in the evening for some reason and I guess now that I think of it the crickets have replace the sound of frogs as the sun goes down. Last night we did sit around the fire pit as I added some real wood to it and we ate chili along with chucks of hot bread and Elmer brought over some bourbon to sip on. Not a kid's meal but sometimes us older guys enjoy sitting around the fire and sipping.

The wife was inside canning stuff from the garden and I saw the lights of Chuck's pickup come up his drive, he saw the flickering of the campfire and came over to join us. He missed out on the chili but he found a empty canning jar sitting out on the table and a few inches of bourbon was splashed in the jar. A minute later and he was stretched out on a wood chair with his boots pointed toward the fire and we all just kind of got caught up without doing any talking. Guys seem to be able to do that better then the ladies do, peace and quiet here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,183,543}

REAL GOOD DAY here at Lake Iwanttobethere, just got done watching the football game and for a change the states professional team won! This morning was spent cleaning the Puddle Humper of worm bedding in the carpet and putting stuff back in its places. Yesterday I did get out fishing with my youngest daughter and my number two granddaughter. The day almost went as planned as we were on the road only fifteen minutes after we had planned. First stop was the Masterbaiters Shop and the granddaughter looked at all of the lures hanging from the pegboard hooks and then tried her hand at dipping some sucker minnows. When she was done we picked up a couple of dozen night crawlers from the fridge, paid for them and were back in the Tahoe where the youngest daughter had already called shotgun.

We made a game of counting boats on the highway and then started counting ATV's on trailers to, a lot of both for a first Saturday in September. Arrived at the out of the way landing and as I worked on getting the Puddle Humper ready to launch the girls headed to the high grass alongside the landing in search of frogs. They saw a few but only managed to catch one which was put inside a foam coffee cup that had a lid. A little more wind then forecasted by Stormy Clearweather so we headed to a protected spot out of the breeze and soon the girls were fishing with worms and I was reduced to being the bait boy. Granddaughter number two was soon swinging sunnies over the side and the daughter had to relearn the fine art of bobber fishing.

Of course a boat ride was in order and we went out of the shelter of the small bay and ran the motor hard across the wave tops. Much better then the fair grounds rides I heard the granddaughter yell as she held onto her ball cap and grinned away every time her aunt got hit with spray from a waved jumped. We found another spot with a little deeper water and some shade out of the wind and Team Papa soon had a big lead over Team Auntie. That is when the daughter starting to pitch a spinner bait and turned the worm box to her niece. Not five minutes later the daughter held up her line with no spinner bait attached. In a solemn voice she announced that something big had just bit her off and she had lost her lure. I then reminded her she just lost my lure and she smiled at me and just said "Right, sorry" and dug into the spinner bait box for a replacement.

At dusk we put the frog on the hook and pitched it to a dock with deep water on one side. The frog made a few kicks before it was swallowed and the granddaughter's line and her rod tipped downwards as something big pulled it. I was trying to get some pictures of the short battle as the line got hung up in some Lilly pads and when she got the hook back out it was frog less and fish less. We headed to the landing and the daughter helped me put the Puddle Humper on the trailer and the granddaughter searched the cooler for cookies and fruit punch box. We drove home to the sound of old music on the radio and the heater on. The daughter and granddaughter were soon asleep from the afternoon of fishing and of course the warm truck and the sound of tires humming on the highway. My girls, twenty-seven and seven are still both just kids when it comes to fishing here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,189,666}

HUM OF THE battery charger can be heard here at Lake Iwanttobethere. Last night I went fishing in the wind and waves and today my back feels like I was stuck on the twenty-five cent bucking horse ride in front of the drug store. Time of the year when we can't be too picky on the weather as there are not that many good days left to fish so what is a little wind. Got to the access to see some small white caps but still fishable water. Not five minutes into fishing I already had landed a bass and had a northern miss me at the boat. I let the wind drive me down the shoreline till I thought it might be better to go find some slack water as I was getting wet from the spray coming over the side. Started up the big motor and headed to the other side where the wind was coming from and after a few minutes the ride got better as the wind didn't have so much time to build the waves. I did have to wipe my glasses off a few times and I had a passing thought that those eye glasses with the build in wipers might not be such a bad idea.

I went down the shoreline and was kind of tucked out of the wind, but if I ventured out too far the wind would catch me and pull me away from shore. The trolling motor got a work out as I used it to hold my position when fishing a few good spots. Spinnerbait was the lure of choice for the day, I would have liked to fished a few other things but just to much wind and the waves were too big. I did find a few calm spots and I dropped a fake frog in some pockets and got a few hits but did not land anything. Buzz bait did catch a few small northerns and a carpet of Lilly pads produced the big bass of the day. A fat seventeen inch fish that tipped the scales at three and half pounds. Catching a nice fish in wind is always a memory maker as trying to land the fish, steer the boat and fight the wind all while catching it on video by yourself will do that.

I was looking forward to the wind dying down and maybe staying on the water after dark for awhile. A super moon was in store for the night but just around six the clouds started to roll in and the wind kept blowing. I made a command decision to run up to the beginning of the lake on the blowing side and figured I would let the wind drive me down to the access and maybe pick up a few more fish. The plan worked as no sooner did I start coming down the wind blown side of the lake then a nice northern smacked my spinnerbait and the fish made a run that pulled line on me. I didn't see the fish right away and I was hoping for it to be a monster bass but then a nice northern came up to the surface to splash me before diving down and pulling more line. I managed to turn the fish and not wanting to play around with the boat bouncing in the waves I pulled out the landing net and made a scoop to net the fish all in one motion. Good plan except the net was caught on a screw in the handle and would not open. Now I was stuck trying to get the fish into a net that was not open in a bouncing boat with the wind driving me towards shore, fun eh!

Well I did get the fish in the net, managed to turn the boat back into the wind and pull away from shore. Fish measured out at thirty-one inches and tipped the scale at seven pounds even. I eased her over the side and for my reward she splashed water in my face. I sat in my chair and tried to find something dry to wipe my glasses and I noticed it got dark out. I figured that was as good as any way to end the night so I set my rod down on the deck and turn the trolling motor on high and with the wind at my back I headed down the shoreline to the access and the waiting Tahoe. Surprisingly getting the Puddle Humper up on the trailer was not a problem and the wind kept any mosquitoes who any ideas about bothering me at bay. I drove back to the cabin with the CD player on and the super moon lighting the way. Of course the clouds had parted letting the super moon be seen as soon as I was driving here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,194,563}

Video1300045-48_zpsbc723ac7.jpg

SO WHEN IT rains it pours is the old saying and I would have to agree that the saying is true. Yet another night of pouring ran here at Lake Iwanttobethere. The sky was bright as lightning flashed out over the lake as the storm made it to my side of the lake. This morning the wind is still blowing and everything is soaked. I checked the outbuildings for damage and roofs are intact and the new playhouse is dry. More branches down to feed the fire pit and what little corn I had growing in the garden is down on the ground. Not a fishing day that is for sure. Wind is still stirring the waters of the lake and a few ducks are out just past Elmer's dock but they look like they would rather be somewhere else.

Not to much of any doubt that fall has arrived. I don't see any linger summer hanging on. Of course this was not much of a summer heat wise, I am not complaining I am not a big fan of the heat and the A/C hardly got used this summer. Of course there is a trade off to be made as what we lacked in heat we more then made up for in the abundance of black flies and mosquitoes. Yesterday before the wind started to pick up and the rain fell I got to mark a few more things of the Honey Do List. The play house is officially done as I finally hung the door. The granddaughter and other granddads will now have to finish up the inside. No doubt with art work, rocks, shells, bird nests, stashes of pop and what ever else they think needs to be stored in the play house.

Had a fire in the pit during the afternoon and just when I thought I was done burning brush the overnight wind has dropped me a few more branches. Wind was still blowing so I left the branches where they fell and me and Duncan took a ride to the Resort to see what was happening up there. On the drive in I see we have some standing water in a few potholes, will have to get the tractor out and fill them in. Place looked pretty quiet when I drove up and parked. Not even any of the FELLOWS were around. I could hear the radio from up at the wood shop and Duncan and I took the path to it and found Chuck tinkering with the saw mill. He was changing the blade getting ready to cut the big white pine. We or I should say he took a break and we sat just inside the big double doors that were open and listen to the wind going through the tree tops. Duncan sat on my foot and pretended to be interested in what we were talking about.

After as few minutes I saw Hank in the tractor with a bucket full of class five heading for the potholes. Not much for me to do around here I can't even make up chores for myself. I waved at Hank and got a wave back. Told Chuck I will talk to him later and Duncan and I headed for the Clubhouse. Open the door to hear the sound of music and Vic dancing with the carpet cleaner. I watched for a moment then thought better of interrupting him. He was cleaning the entrance carpet and I figured that is one less chore for me to do. Matter of fact this morning was becoming a day for getting out of chores, if the wind was not blowing so hard I should just go fishing here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,197,833}

Here is a shot of the Play House and of course Duncan inspecting.

Video1800003-202_zpse320c72e.jpg

THERE IS A chill in the air this morning, unfortunately the chill is inside the cabin. I told the wife we should have added a few sticks to the fire last night but she said it was warm enough in the cabin. This morning the fireplace was cold and so was the floor when I got out of bed. Not to much teasing this year from Mother Nature. She must be upset about something and just dropped fall on us ten days early. I talked to Vic up at the Resort this morning and he said there was frost he was certain of it as it was down right cold taking the boat out to get the morning paper and the mail. While I chatted on the phone I started a fire in the fireplace, nothing big just some kindling and a few pieces of slab wood. Soon the flame was licking around the wood and heat was coming out. Don't want too big a fire as it looks like we might get some sunshine and the place will warm up as I uncovered the solar collector yesterday. By the time I hung the phone up in the kitchen all three dogs were laying in front of the fireplace, stealing the heat.

Yesterday was a typical bad fall day, not one of those fuzzy feel good fall days that writers write about in the outdoors section of the Sunday paper. You know the kind. The soft warm breeze and the colorful leaves falling to the ground, the rich smell of earth as you walk along the trampled brown grass path in search of grouse with your trusty bird dog. The sun low in the sky making shafts of light through the branches of the trees as it filters it way to the ground. No yesterday was overcast and windy. From time to time the sun would break through and tease you a little and then just as quickly the clouds would block it out. From time to time a few rain drops would fall and not the warm drops of summer these are the cold drops of fall. I spent the afternoon stacking firewood and cleaning out a spot to put the work trailer away for the winter. Somehow the parking space got to be a resting spot for things that are not supposed to be there. At one point while I was taking a breather the wife told me I should just chuck it all and go fishing. She threw a change up at me and I of course stop working to look her in the eye and ask her why did she want me gone.

I did return to work because now I was figuring she wanted me away from the cabin because she was going to start a project that I was going to have to finish or she had other reasons. Of course there is always the chance she was telling me to leave so that I would stay. Either way I didn't go fishing because I had a granddaughter's soccer game to go to and that comes before fishing. At least for two more games then the season is done for her. The weather was not all that bad, as long as you kept moving around you stayed warm enough. A few times I had to duck into the wood shop and once under the overhang of the play house to avoid a shower. No sense in getting wet when you don't have to.

By supper time I was done for the day, went inside and had dinner then off to the soccer game. I dressed a little warmer as I was going to be standing on the sidelines and the daughter's game was the last of the evenings. I arrived just in time to walk her to the field from the parking lot. I have told you before the field is in the softball outfield and we had to cut across the infield to get there. The geese have been doing their thing on the infield dirt. We had to walk around turds to get to the grass. I was thinking the ground's keepers can't be to happy but softball season is pretty much done for. I stood on the side line and watched the game. Seven year old boys and girls having a blast running on the fresh cut wet grass. A few showers fell during the game and parents and grandparents huddled under umbrellas or pulled up hoods along the sidelines while kids played on. The game was stopped for a few minutes as in the second half a rainbow appeared and all the kids stopped to jump up and down and point at it. Once again Mother Nature had to show off here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,203,595}

SILENT SUNDAY AND I think it is going to be one. I have my day all planed out already and there is no talking scheduled. Football game at noon and then I am going to spend the rest of the day in a marathon watching the last three shows of True Detective. Yesterday was a busy day as I spent it working on the Honey Do List. The greenhouse was cleaned and all the pepper plants that are in pots were brought inside along with a couple of tomato plants and some herbs that the wife is growing. The citrus plants that have been growing on the deck all summer were pruned and brought inside and put on small rolling carts. They are now too big to be just set on the floor. About half of the tobacco has been harvested and are hanging in the greenhouse and you add the smell of pepper plants, herbs and tobacco and it smells like one of them shops that the Ladies Auxiliary goes to buy their mushroom tea bags at.

The threat of frost has made working in the garden a top priority, a lot of tomatoes were harvested and now find themselves inside glass canning jars awaiting their fate at a later date in spaghetti sauce or chili. Another batch of pickles were canned and some spuds were dug up also. Part of the yard was mowed down tight for winter but where leaves are known to fall I will let go for now. The last brush pile was cleared away to make room for a new brush pile as I will work on clearing trees of branches around the big garden as soon as the trees lose their leaves. I even have a plan for next week as I have the OK from the wife to work on the decks. The plan is to clear off the decks and power wash. The next day I will go fishing the day after I will stain and then the following day I will go fishing again. The weather forecast by Sunshine Ray looks like it will match up with my work schedule.

As I write this the sun is out and suddenly fifty degrees with sunshine is way better than fifty degrees and no sunshine. The only trouble is the wind is back and it is making waves on the lake. I figure I am almost a month ahead on my fall do list which is unheard of. I might just be able to pull off this working around the cabin and fishing on nice days. As far as the cabin getting stained that is on the back burner yet again. I am really going to have to make an effort and stain the place next summer and not wait till I run out of days or count on a dry spell. Speaking of dry spells it rained last night, I could hear it as I still have the bedroom window open to let in the fresh air.

Puddle Humper is clean and waiting, batteries are charged and I have changed over some of the lures on the rods to bigger ones that I favor for fall fishing. Warmer clothes are packed in the Tahoe and the knee high boots are there for launching. I think the days of wading are just about over. The banged up aluminum thermos is now resting on the kitchen counter. It will be filled with hot chocolate or hot apple cider for fishing trips. Not to much need for the cooler to keep things cold in the boat but instead it will be there to keep things warm. A couple of towels in a plastic bag under the seat and some hand warmers and gloves. A bag of Kit Kats just in case I need some energy or to munch on while I move from one fishing spot to another. A few fishing days in the seventies will be welcomed but I am getting ready for some cool time out on the water. Funny how catching a few nice fish can warm you right up though here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,209,958}

A PLEASANT DAY yesterday with ample sunshine and winds blowing through the tree tops at ten to fifteen miles per hour with a few gusts in there that made the flag snap on the flag pole. The deck was powered washed the day before and all the furniture is now resting on the grass. Yep a perfect day to stain the deck so I went fishing instead. To tell the truth there are a lot of perfect days to stain stuff but not so many days this time of the year to go fishing. I gave the wife the story on how after power washing the deck needs a good day to dry out and she just handed me the brown paper bag lunch from the fridge and said just go fishing, so I did.

I had a plan to go fishing on Lake Iwanttobethere but with the wind kicking up I went to plan B and I headed to a small backup lake to get out of the wind. It was a drive so I had to dig into my stash of cigars as it was just a little over an hours drive away. You know you are getting away from people when I lost our local radio station KCUM and had to turn off the static. Not many cars travel where I was going and I was still twenty minutes away from the little lake when I saw the last truck going by heading in the opposite direction. By two- fifteen I was on the water and by two-thirty I had caught my first bass, a chunky fifteen incher and I was not going to be skunked today. Always a priority is catching that first fish of the day and with the bass caught I then worked down the West bank of the small lake tucked away from the wind and I caught a few northerns. Three and four pounds they tugged at the line and made me think they were nice bass till they broke the surface.

With the wind kind of at my back I only needed the trolling motor to change direction and when I got to the big Lilly pad covered end of the lake a seventeen and half inch bass ate up my spinnerbait and came to the top to do a dance across the surface. Always fun to be fighting a fish and running out of water as the wind was pushing me toward shore. Boated the fish and turned back out to open water. Flipped my hat around on my head and started the big motor and ran the length of the little lake back to the calm water where I started from. Decided to take a lunch break and dug in the cooler where the bag lunch was. Kicked back in the chair and sipped on some Lake Iwanttobethere root beer and ate a bologna sandwich on a Kaiser roll from Amy's Bakery. A handful of cookies followed and I dusted off my beard of crumbs and went back to fishing.

Wind had shifted and I was not going to get away from it. I tossed the buzz bait a few times but no hits so I went back to the spinnerbait which was getting hits. Boated a few more smaller northerns till a larger one smack me hard so I smacked her hard back. My reward was a battered spinnerbait that fell apart on the deck of the Puddle Humper when I got it back. Had to tie on a new bait and made a mental note I need to make up a few more of these ones with the double skirts and blue blades. Hit a good stretch of water and five chunky bass came over the side in about twenty minutes. Sun was getting low so I had a decision to make. Normally I would head to the Lilly pad field and end the evening there throwing top water in the calm water but I have had some success throwing buzz baits in a little cove close to the landing. I decided to hit the cove and I started up the big motor and headed that way.

Another small bass was caught but no big northerns, I did have a couple of misses but they were not the big girl kind that I was looking to dance with. With some light left I loaded the Puddle Humper on the trailer and headed down the dirt road that would lead me to the asphalt that would take me to the road back home. Eight bass and seven northerns came over the side of the Puddle Humper, not a bad fall afternoon of fishing. Water is cooling as it was only fifty-eight degrees when I pulled the boat out but the lake had finally gone calm as the wind died and no bugs to be found. I still had a stump of a cigar left so I put flame to it and drove slow down the road, I was in no great hurry to get back home here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,220,012}

Too bad you could not go fishing with me, I had an open seat !

Video1100005-23_zps1f0a38cb.jpg

SO FAR SO good the plan for fishing around working on the cabin is working. Yesterday I did have some doubts as I was just starting to stain the big deck and the sun was shinning and hardly a breath of wind. I was thinking maybe I should have stained the deck the day before and gone fishing today but three boards into the deck the sunshine was gone and the wind picked up. Halfway through the deck I had to go into the cabin and grab a sweatshirt as it was noticeable colder. The wife cranked open the den window and told me it was a good thing I went fishing the day before. Got the back deck all done except for a small section I leave so the dogs can get out to do their thing. Was going to stain the front porch but baby M was coming over and the wife didn't want the daughter to have to walk around the cabin to get in.

Funny how as I was staining leaves started to fall from trees and land no where in my yard but they did find there way to the deck. I was staining the deck almost a month earlier then I usually do just to avoid falling leaves but it did seem to make to much of a difference. My daughter and baby M arrived at the same time that I was putting the roller and brush away. I went inside and somehow got conned into watching her for just a few minutes. My pretty firm line about baby-sitting is the kid has to be out of diapers and talking before I will do it. The wife and daughter promise to be gone just for a little while and baby M flashed her eyes at me and held her arms out to be picked up and I took the bait, hook line and sinker.

Baby M also known as granddaughter number three is still working on the walking thing. She is just a little over one and does fine as long as she can grab on to a finger or hold onto a coffee table. She will take a few steps and then stand still before doing the flop on her butt. She will then crawl at the speed of light to something she can climb up on and do it all again. Duncan is very curious about anything smaller then him and especially anything that moves and holds cookies at his mouth level. The wife gave Baby M a cookie before they left and Duncan had a lot of interest in the cookie. I came around the corner and Baby M had a firm grip on Duncan's tail and the two of them were walking toward the den at a very leisurely pace. I stood and watched and the thought came that this was a good photo moment. I went to the den and got my camera but by the time I came out Baby M was heading in a speed crawl back to the coffee table and Duncan was licking his lips of cookie crumbs. I don't know if a theft had occurred or if it was just payment for the walk support.

A few more cookies later and the wife and daughter were back from there rummage sale jaunt and I was relieved of baby duty. Of course baby M first had to pass inspection and somehow I got a "That was not so hard was it" comment and Duncan got another cookie. I stepped out to check the deck and the now roaring wind was doing a fine job of making quick work drying the deck. Matter of fact only a few leaves were on it and as I watched a gust of wind cleaned them right off. As I write this right now the wind is blowing some and the sun is trying to come out from behind the clouds, cool out and I do have it on the schedule to go fish this afternoon. I am thinking maybe I will get the porch stained and work on a few other things. I saw Sunshine Rays forecast and it is calling for rain this weekend but then a nice stretch of sunny sixty plus degree days for next week. Might have to tell the wife I am working today so I can fish a lot next week here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,223,561}

I DISLIKE TOUCHUPS mainly because the lead to paint or stain jobs. After Baby M left the other day I went outside to check on the stain job on the deck. Was looking pretty good so I decided to go ahead and close up the can of stain until I saw I needed to do a little touch up around the gate which happens to be the same color stain as the deck. Yesterday I got the stain back out to finish up the last spot on the deck by the door and as long as the stain was out I put a second coat on the railings. While the railings were drying I went and checked the front porch which I had managed to talk the wife out of staining till next week when the weather is forecasted to be warmer and drier. I thought maybe I should touch up around the window so I went back to the shop and got out the paint can and before you know it I was going around the cabin touching up window trim and then down to the road to paint the mailbox. Won't be long here and Mark the mailman will be back to driving the road to deliver our mail so now was a good time to do it.

I was eyeing the wood gate but I was holding only a one inch paint brush in my hand and that was going to take way too long to do both sides so I put the can away, washed out the brush and marked several things off the do list but added painting the gate to it. Wind was still blowing strong and Buddy and Barney were both fast asleep taking up both ends of the couch. Duncan however was busy trying to get my attention. I let him out the deck door and he ran across the deck hit the grass and did not stop till he got to the back trail. Then he looked over his shoulder to see if I was following and I got the idea of what he wanted to do.

I found the orange vest right where I left in the front closet and putting it on I see it still fits, that is as long as I don't try and button it. I went to the den and open the gun cabinet and open the locked box and grabbed a few twenty gage shells and made a mental note I need to buy shells. I then remembered that I had made a mental note last year to buy shells so now I thought I will replace the old mental note with a new one. I also went over to the desk and wrote it down in case I misplace the mental note again. I took out the old single twenty gage from its resting place and broke it open. From habit I looked down the barrel and with the jingle of some shells in my pocket I grabbed my hat and followed Duncan out the door.

I made the walk across the yard and as I got to the edge I asked Duncan if he was ready to go. He dropped low on his front paws and gave me a couple of short whines. I dropped a shell in the chamber and snapped the gun closed and stepped on to the trail. Already Duncan's nose was sounding like a leaky vacuum as he sniffed and snorted at the grass along the trail. Trees are full of leaves and the grass is green and I was not expecting to see a bird, wait too early but Duncan wanted to go and I am not so dumb not to see if a dog wants to hunt you should follow. The trail breaks off to the left now where my neighbor Chuck has been spending the last two summer building trails. I followed Duncan as we crept on to Chucks property, Feeling like a kid raiding the neighbor apple tree I followed Duncan and was busy making up excuses and ways to blame Duncan when I heard a grouse get up and fly away, at least I think it was a grouse. Hard to tell in the thick cover and with the wind blowing. I looked down at Duncan and he was giving me his "Did you hear that look" and I took a step over to him and patted him on his head, I am thinking it might be an interesting bird season here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,227,451}

ON SATURDAY DUNCAN and I made the short road trip to the Resort as I had a few things to do up there, mostly spend some time in the wood shop on some projects. A nice enough day and I should have gone fishing but I had heard Stormy Clearweathers forecast about rain heading our way in the afternoon. The rain forecast did not stop Vic and Dock Burriem from taking the small boat out into the bay. They were still hot on the trail of crappies and they even caught a few but when the wind was right I could hear the sounds of a football game from the radio that Vic has in the boat. I did stop and watch and it looked to me they were doing more smoking and sipping from Dock's flask then they were doing fishing.

Duncan was in and out of the wood shop. He would come in and check on me and then go back out and make the rounds of the Resort. Some of the FELLOWS were at their campsite and he was there for awhile and then he moved on to the Bait Room when Arlo came to buy some worms. Chuck came with his trailer and I helped him load up some of the wood that he had cut on the sawmill. It was ready to be moved down to his cabin where he had a spot to dry it. I spent the afternoon cleaning and putting tools away in the wood shop. I wanted to make sure it got done before I forgot about it and had to come clean it when it would be cold outside. I did have a barrel of wood scraps that I dumped in the wheelbarrow and hauled down to the Club House. I dumped the load in the small fire pit out back and went back and got a load of maple from the big pile.

With the shop clean I closed up the double doors and took the trail back down the hill. Duncan hooked up with me and I made my way down to the dock just in time to help Vic and Dock land their boat. The sunset was blocked by a bank of dark clouds coming in and I thought I could have gotten some fishing in after all. I followed Vic into the Club House and was greeted to the smell of pork chops on the grill. I ate dinner with the guys and decided to go out and sit for awhile and watch the rain roll in. Seems that Elmer and Vic also had the same idea and I sat down next to them under the big overhang that protects the deck. No rain was falling so I went ahead and tossed a few matches at the kindling in the fire pit and it caught. In no time a snapping crackling fire was burning and I added some of the maple chucks to it before settling back down in my chair.

Something about falling darkness and a pending rainstorm that triggers ones senses. As I made myself comfortable in the chair my nose took in the smell of wood smoke and also the heavy smell of pine. Don't know why but it seems rain carries the smell of the woods in front of it. I was watching and waiting for the first streak of lightning to zip across the sky but it just kept getting darker. Vic got up and returned a few minutes later with three glass tumblers of single malt that he had been hiding, mostly from the rest of us and made a toast to summer. I tipped my glass and the first wind driven rain drop fell into it. Elmer produced three cigars and not wanting to be left out I pulled a lighter from my pocket. With rain drops hitting the fire and cigars burning between our fingers the three of us sat and watch the rain and maybe watched summer slip away here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,234,840}

TODAY IS THE last day of summer so I am all set to go fishing, yes I know all the calendars say today is the first day of autumn but autumn does not officially arrive till around ten thirty tonight. By then I should have the Puddle Humper back under the roof of the boat house and the trolling battery will be plugged into the charger. Fish should be all clean and supper plates will be in the dishwasher. I will be headed for bed to get up and do it all over again tomorrow. This morning I was up early and in town running errands. Filled the Tahoe up at the Gas-N-Go right up to the cap. Didn't even flinch when the clerk told me how much I spent. Next stop was Amy's Bakery where I bought some Kaiser rolls and a few donuts. Ma and Pa's grocery was the next stop, some thick sliced bologna for sandwiches and a couple of bags of Kit Kats for munching. I also bought a bag of Mcintosh apples, normally I would be chewing on apples from my own trees but I am apple poor again this year.

Forecast for this week is outstanding for staining and getting the cabin ready for winter so that also makes it an excellent forecast to go fishing, Yard is mowed, garden is in good shape. Deck is stained and the front porch needs a second coat on the stairs but that is a job that can be done in a few minutes not hours. No rain in the forecast and there will be some wind but not anything that can't be fished in. I have my calendar penciled in with where I want to go fish at. Mostly a bunch of smaller lakes around Lake Iwanttobethere that will turn over before the big lake does. I am going out by myself this afternoon but will be out with my neighbor Chuck tomorrow who is going to take the day off from working just to get some fishing in. I'll take the single shot twenty gage with me and store it under the seat. Some of these little lakes are kind of out of the way and early in the fall like this I may get lucky and spot some grouse on the drive in and get a shot off.

Duncan will have to stay at home and I put the shotgun in the Tahoe last night when the wife had him distracted in the kitchen. It is best he does not know I am getting out with out him. Later in the week I have both Elmer and Vic penciled in to go fishing. I will go and fish from the Resort those two days as I am hoping Vic will set me up on top of them crappies that he and Dock have been chasing all summer. Elmer and I will go chase northerns in the places where Elmer has been chasing them for years. In the past we have caught a few and lost a lot or so it seems as time and Elmer's stories have it.

Yesterday I spent the day watching football and going through tackle boxes. I was stocking them and retying lures on to rods and checking air in boat tires and shooting grease into hubs. Boat tank is full and batteries are all charged up. Dry clothes in the Tahoe along with gloves and towels and some bottled water. Rain gear to but the forecast is calling for temps in the seventies and mild wind. But this time of the year as soon as the sun hits the treetops it cools quickly out. Some of the best time of the year to be out fishing and also a great time of the year to have a heated truck seat to sit in at the end of a day of fishing. Yup this week I am going to be retired and on vacation here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,240,030}

TODAY IS THE first day of Autumn and if it is like the last day of summer it should be interesting. The day went as planned for the most part. I was on the road by one in the afternoon and was pulling a fish over the side of the Puddle Humper by two-thirty. The forecast of seven to fifteen mile an hour winds was a tad off as I think the fifteen was the low side with a couple of twenty mile an hour gusts pretty common. Not to worry I have fished this lake in the wind many times before and I just let the wind take me down the shore with a couple of course adjustments with the bow trolling motor. I fished around a small island and got a hit from a northern, I eased the fish up to the boat and decided to just hop her up over the side till I found out the northern was a little bigger then I had thought. Twenty-eight inches of thrashing northern soon greeted me and I figured the bite was on.

Air was seventy out and the water here on this little lake was sixty-six could be less wind but I was soon to find out I was going to have to deal with it. I say that because as I came around the other side of the island it was time to move and my big motor did not want to turn over. Back to the protection of the island and I worked on getting the motor started till I gave up and figured somehow the battery was dead. The rest of the afternoon was spent fishing with just the trolling motor but I had a plan and as long as I ended up on a certain bay at dusk I would be OK. I got fish but it was slow going. Of course I was throwing a big willow blade with a pretty big chunk of plastic on it. I was not looking for little fish but I was in search for something that would put a nice bow on my rod.

There is a dock on this little lake that always has a fish or two on it. We call it the frog dock as I have taught all my kids and a few of the grand kids how to fish a live frog around it. It is off a little point with deep water close and it is a pretty big dock with several sections to it. I came up on it and hit the corners with the spinnerbait but no takers. I would have tossed a worm but just too windy. As I was going by I shot one last cast deep down the side and was rewarded with a wrist jarring hit. It actually hurt my wrist it was so quick and hard. Matter of fact the last time I felt a pain like that on my hand was the last time a nun in grade school slapped me with a ruler. I figured it must have been a northern it was so quick and slashing. My next thought was I wished the big motor was running so I would come back at dusk and give it another try.

I did end up in my little bay just at the right time, the wind died and I pulled out the buzz bait rod and started to catch fish. A couple of northern and then two sixteen's, two seventeen's and with the sun setting a nineteen and a half inch bass decided to hit my buzzbait for supper. Pretty much made my day as I held her up for a photo with the sunset in the background. This morning I was down at Dan's Auto Shop, I bought a new starting battery for the Puddle Humper. The old battery was so old it did not even have the sticker where you mark down the date you bought it for the warranty. It is in the boat and the trolling battery is on the charger, will be going out again this afternoon, fishing the first day of Autumn here at Lake Iwanttobethere {2,243,417}

Video600001-50_zpsd131d468.jpg