• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishin report for Lake Iwanttobethere..

Bobby Bass

Quote:

BTW, my Brother-in-law has just put a down payment on a new Saturn Aura due to the increased business sent his way. He asked me to thank all of you!

I hope he did not order the leather seats. I would think by the end of the night they might be kind of cold...

whew what a forth!!! as i was going thru the boxes of product. and had nearly all of it in the racks. i noticed that my finalli shell had not been delivered, but had been left on the truck. that was headed for the big city.

so after i reached the driver on his cell and practilly had to beg him to turn around and meet me half way, i got in the truck and was off in a cloud of dust. well all was well as had gotten back to the point about an hour before dark, and still had the whole show ready before the town show was finished.

what a spectacular show it was. nice sets and was shot at a well orcastrated pace. nice job guys.

well about after ten minutes had elapsed i was seeing a steady line of boats heading towards my point. i hit the intro set and was a fast moveing person for the next few minutes. tagging shells with the flare and watching a few of the breaks. my new found pyropal was one of the best mortor loaders i have seen. she was slingin shells like a pro. i was truely amazed. welll the mid show was going off great and then, i started to hear a few more mortor shells then what i had thought i had lit start to leave the racks. i turned around and looked at four racks of shells going off in sets of four all by them selves. hummmm. i thought. about it for a split second and about the finalli shell and how appropriate it would to have a wonderful send off of all the rest of what was left to light. so i hit fuzes as fast as i could and fulfilled on of my favorite pyro mottos "NO DEAD SKY". whew i was a moveing. well i hit the finalli rack and the sky filled even more with color and booms. well i could see the last rack of salutes going off from the rack and pulled the safty off the finalli shell and hit it with my flare and stepped back. it left the mortor with the boom of a large artillery peice, and i was very glad i had cut off the few limbs from that big ole tree as i watched its bright tail streem to the heavens. then... BOOOOMM!!!!!! and the shell broke just as it should have... did ya see it??? could you tell what it was?? welll for a first try i thought the shell makers did a great job.. there in the sky was a red white and blue star set in the shape of my catamaran. it wass too cool. i felt so good about the show, that after we cleared the racks. my loader and me dropped the "knot a clew" into the water off of the point and went for a night sail on the lake. it was a pleasure to have such a nice partner to lounge with me on the trampoline of the cat. we watched the sunrise from the hobiecat and then headed her to the point. you cannot imagine how much mess a show puts out so the morning was spent cleaning up and loading the racks back to the storage facility.

all in all it was a nice few days to be at the lake. i am happy to hear that the show was well recieved and will plan another for next year. now it is time to get back to grind. and make the long transition to labor day some eight weeks away and soon after that we will be launching the fishhouses again. funny how, after the forth how summer is on the fast track to the finish again. the days will be shorter from here on in and soon the winds of winter will be upon us. but till then we have our thoughts of the lake and dream daily about being there.

have a safe rest of the summer. and wave at me when you pass the point or see me on the cat. see you at the lake. ... paul

Good day to you all, another hot one out there. I was at the Lodge early this morning checking out the damage from last night. Standing on the deck looking over the park and public campground it looked like I would imagine a civil war battle would have. Wisps of smoke drifted skyward through the trees from campfires left un attended from the night before. A screen door on a camper made a half hearted attempt to close and then opened again in the slight breeze coming off the lake. Likewise a few tents flaps fluttered across the colorfully covered hillside. The campers were not prepared for the attack. With the evening heat but a few campfires were burning at the time. Most were caught sitting in sticky fold up lounge chairs. Fanning themselves with what ever was at hand. At dusk the first wave appeared, scouts I think. Then shortly there after the main body attacked with out warning. Mosquitoes..

It was over before it even started. With a flurry the campers and tourists headed for the screen houses, The smell of deep woods off and candles being lit. The slapping of bare flesh and some choice curse words. Wood was quickly assembled and matches struck. Fires and cigars were lit. The park disappeared in a haze of wood smoke and the smell of citronellas candles. In thirty minutes the females were done feeding and heading back to the marsh. The males fighting a rear guard action and just being a pest stayed behind. Then like in a war of the worlds movie scene Hammering Hank and Skinny looking like tripods moved through the park and campground. Holding foggers they release a cloud of mosquitoes toxic gas. Like pied pipers the tourist followed the duo to the shoreline and relief.

Morning brought a quicking of the wind and the promise of more heat. More movement below as campers start appearing and fires are stirred. I turn back to the cool interior of the lodge and make sure the door secures behind me. The coolness of the lodge and it's thick cedar logs are a welcome feeling. A note on my desk informs me that someone or something had broken into the ice house and they helped themselves to several rows of ice blocks. I check the ice house and you can see the drag marks in the saw dust, some heading towards the campground and one off to the woods. I find the bolt laying on some pine needles off to the side and slide it back into the hasp. Returning to the Lodge I go in and find Elmer pouring a root beer. He tells me they caught some fellows last night filling a little kids pool with ice from the ice house."They were going to lay in it" he says. " What a waste of ice, I could see it if they were using it for beer" Elmer shakes his head and heads for the wicker couch and remote.

I move to go behind the bar and have to step over both Barney and Bud sleeping under the ice bin. I turn on the small fan and as it blows the air across the chips and the bar cools. Sitting on my stool I can hear the tick tick of the clock behind me. The rhythmic breathing of the dogs. Straining just a little I can hear the chug chug of the ice machine back in the kitchen and every so often the ice dumps into the hopper. As long as I hear that sound all is well. Elmer finds a fishing show and I can just make out the picture with out my glasses. The door opens and a couple with two kids in tow enter. The man wiping his forehead with the sleave of his shirt asks if we are open and the women asks for directions to the washrooms. The kids eye the chocolate in the glass display case. The man strikes up a conversation and me being me never has turn down a chance to chat. His wife was taking her time in the washroom and I slid a couple of candy bars to the kids and they headed over to the wicker couch and Elmer.

I found out the mans name was Greg and he and his wife Cindy have been camping down in the campground and were getting ready to leave. They had a long drive to get back home and wanted to get a head start before the hot weather arrived. We talked about several things and I kind of picked his brains on what he thought of the lake. He told me he thought the 4th of July fireworks display was just excellent. He had no idea that a small little town would go though such expense. The skydiver dressed as Elvis with the searchlight and the exploding rockets around him was a very special effect. He asked me if that was a real guy? And then when it was all done and people were leaving the 2nd half started from across the lake. That was great!! Specially that big ending with the boat and music blaring across the park from the speakers. I think it was Ghost Riders in the Sky.. I told him we still had some more events planned for the day but then his wife came out and he said they really had to go. So Nytelyer you did a bang up job, maybe the town should talk to you about next years event? From Lake Iwanttobethere (15124)

Moving around a tad slow this morning, actually I am pretty sore. My daughter KT and I went horseback riding last night. That time of the year when I have to follow through on a promise made years and years ago. First off let me state I have nothing against farmers or cowboys. I live near the water so that makes me a fishermen. Even though I may spend a lot of my time in the country I am not a farmer nor am I a cowboy. When my daughter Katie was a little girl she wanted a pony. My wife, bless her told her that no way could we have a pony at the cabin because she, the wife. Would end up having to take care of it. Cleaning up after it and feeding and grooming. I agreed with the wife but did tell the daughter that I would take her horse backing riding when ever she wanted forever. Well at least once a year.

My daughter so wanted a pony that if she could not have one she decide that she would change her name. And for ever more would go by the name KT well her being young we decide that if she wanted to change her name we would let her. Figuring that she would grow out of it. KT has stuck, all her friends refer to her as KT of course with text messaging that was a problem as they could not find a way of shorting KT to anything but KT Her brothers did not have a clue as they always called her Katie which she heard as KT

Well yesterday afternoon when it was hotter then a pancake griddle at a church's breakfast. She decide that it is time to go horseback riding. I find the only thing that own that even looks like it belongs on the back of a horse and that is my wool cowboy hat and we set off to Dusty's farm/ ranch. As Dusty chats away with KT they head over to the barn to get her a mare to ride. Standing outside the door I get shoved from behind. I turn to confront who ever is doing this and have to look up at a big brown mass of horse flesh. Buck. Me and Buck go back always. I would not say he is my favorite animal but he seems to like me for some reason. Kind of like a school bully. Dusty comes out with KT behind him leading a gentle mare and says " So you want to take Buck out again, good choice" I tried to object but Dusty is already walking away. Over his shoulder I can hear him say " Saddle up you can go out with the next group"

Well with help from the high school hired help we saddle up and I am not getting to much attention as KT is flirting with the horse wrangler. A saddle is placed on Buck's back and with some help I manage to get upright on him. We then set out on our little ride with the sun high over head and a cloud of black flies following us. Buck and I are in the rear. Normally I would have no problem with this but Buck is a born leader. Buck would rather be in the front. Since he can't pass on the trail he decides to just take the path that he can only see to the side of the trail. Did I mention that I was only on for the ride? I would pull on the reins to go left and Buck would whip his head back just about yanking me off the saddle. I was having a hard enough time trying to stand in the saddle to save my rear. A promise is a promise and so me and Buck were riding together. The late afternoon was pretty uneventful. The only people who could ride were KT and Dusty the rest of us just sat in the saddle and smiled at the pain. Me having done this before knew it was only going to get worse.

Coming out of the trail near the lake, it widens and this is where good old Buck made his move. I swear I did not say anything to encourage him but he broke into a trot which soon became a gallop. Skirting the rider in front of him we soon left the flies behind as the low brush slapped everything off me. The other riders thinking this was part of the ride broke in to trots and gallops and followed Buck and me to the waters edge. Dusty rides up next to me and started yelling about running my horse in hot weather. I just sat in the saddle and listened. Buck just turned and bite Dusty horse. Dusty's horse started bucking and the other riders gave a round of applause as they thought this to was part of the ride.

The walk back to the farm was hot. It didn't help that Buck would nudge me in the shoulder from time to time. Dusty would look at me and just shake his head. KT was enjoying it all as she and her mare Daisy were best buds. Later at the Lodge as I climbed up on the stool the first waves of pain hit me. My thigh muscles were trained to hug a stool not a horses back. Still wearing my cowboy hat I got off the stool and headed toward the washroom. Elmer said I walked like a cowboy. Guess I deserved that. From Lake Iwanttobethere (15162)

Boy it's a zoo out there! After you get over the 4:30 am racket of every Robin that can sing or thinks it can sing and the sparrows peeping away. After a half hour or so then the morning settles down. Then you can hear the individual birds, crows calling as they leave the roost and the low constant dove moaning. If you go out and sit on the deck you can watch as the yard comes alive. The birds wake everyone up then take flight to go were ever they go. Motion in the trees soon becomes gray squirrels working there way to the bird feeders for breakfast. Cottontails soon appear along the high grass of the yard and with an approach like a runner off first base slowly move out farther and farther into the yard. Even more cautious a ground hog moves out from his den, eyeing the garden. Any movement from anything makes him stop and watch. A doe appears where she was not just a moment ago. Moving slowing she walks across the yard, tail flicking back and forth. You wait and a small fawn dances out of the brush following her.

On the water small rings appear. A hen and seven, eight no nine ducklings make a zig zag along the reeds. The last two are working hard to keep up, you can tell with their heads leaning forward and you can almost see there feet paddling hard. A loon comes in for a controlled splash landing. When it is all said and done he swims away like it was all planned that way. Watching, you see a hen Loon with two onboard swim out to meet her mate. The old goose stretches out his neck and then turns to face the sun and settles back on the dock. Sun gains a little distances on the ground and rises higher in the sky. Grays head back into the trees a little deeper. Rabbits retreat to the high grass and the deer have already slipped back into the woods. About this time you can hear cars starting and people slamming screen doors. Kids yelling and maybe a boat heading out across the water. Quiet time is over till dusk. (15208)

Well it was bound to happen, it happens every year about this time. Wanda our sea creature has emerged from the depths. Rumor has it that a couple were down taking a moonlight swim when they saw something on the surface of Lake Iwanttobethere. Out just off Root Beer island they saw a shape in the water and saw a large splash. Was enough for them to head to shore and to tell anyone that they could find awake. Of course at that time of the night most people in the campground were either fast asleep or working on there 2nd twelve pack. A few managed to make it to shore and looking out at the moon lite water said they might have seen something but were not sure. One was going to take his boat out but his wife had wisely hidden his keys earlier in the evening. By the next day there were already signs up in the park giving directions to Root Beer island and to stop and buy there maps from them. I expect we will hear from the locals who say they have seen Wanda before. A few years back we had one of the explorer boats here and they found nothing but bigger then average Muskies and Trout.

Town fathers pretty much look the other way as Wanda tends to bring in a few more tourists. Some don't think that is right as the town should stand on what it has to offer not create something. Of course if Wanda is real... Well that would be a different story. Elmer is mute on the point. Will not discuss it. I think there is a story there he just grumbles and walks away.

Also Wanda seems to appear in the first or second week after the 4th. Right when it is hot and a lot of beer is being drank. Also a time when we are in a heat wave and the town is full on the weekends and well booked during the week.

Earl at the General Store never missing a chance on marketing has his special rack outside the door with lake maps and genuine Wanda spotter scopes. Along with suntan lotion and bug spray.

Dew Drop Inn has Wanda burgers as this weeks special. A large burger covered in Iceberg Lettuce.

Mindy and Mandy were in town delivering root beer and wearing there Wanda tee shirts. The A's in Wanda never looked better. The girls would just wink and stock the root beer. Already in the Lodge the spotter scope is out on the deck pointed towards the island, usually it is aimed at the cabin but now it is pointed off towards the point.

Summer at Lake Iwanttobethere, what we need now is some rain to cool things off. I am going to go out and lay in the swing for awhile. Another warm day that was suppose to be cooler but ain't. I will keep an eye on the island just in case, a picture might be worth something to HP and her paper. From the Lake have a good one. (15226)

Cleaning up. A few days ago the lake had some straight lines winds of over 60 mph and some damage was done. Sunshine Ray reported that we were not the only ones. With several trees down and uncountable number of branches on the ground of course some power lines went also. Main line into town went down outside of town and some other related problems so everyone here ruffed it for a few days. The Lodge has it's own generator so it became the hub of the town.

Some shingles were lost and a few rolled roofs have no roofs now. Wanda was sighted by several people off Root Beer island till it was noticed later that Mindy and Mandy had lost a dock. Some serious waves pounded the shoreline for a few hours as the winds came in the late afternoon, early evening. Hammering Hank, Skinny and Big Jim were soon out with their chain saws making roads passable and then came back the next day and were cutting firewood. Yesterday we had popcorn thunderstorms come roaring through the area one after another. About every twenty minutes or so you would have to take cover as the wind would pick up and then we would get rain. A few times we also received some hail.

The winds didn't help my corn, as a lot of it is laying down and I now have a lot of stuff on my beach, including parts of Mindy's dock. I am not sure but I think the dock didn't make it across the bay. Pretty busy here at the Lodge this morning as we didn't get any deliveries in and now everyone is showing up. I got two humored cases of clay targets stacked just on the deck because we can't get back to the shooting house, tree down. Earl at the General store has his disaster rack out front on the porch, shovels and rakes, duct tape and tarps. Traffic moved fine through out the day as you know unlike the big city we don't have any street lights. It was reported we will have to order a new stop sign as the one outside of town is gone. Main street is pretty clean as the wind blew right down it, no sweeping needed. As soon as everyone gets there garbage cans back and finds their lids all will be normal again. Power was back on last night and everyone just continued with their day.

Different storm as it was just wind, no rain at all. Sitting on the swing I felt like a little kid as I did not need to push off at all. Wind was doing a good job of moving me around. I was having a good time till I had to start cleaning up. Was going to fix the roof on that shed sooner or later. I did notice the total lack of birds during the storm, I wonder where they hide out at. I sure didn't see any wild life now that I think of it. The dogs were just lined up at the deck door. Sitting and watching with some interest as cushions and the bird feeder blew by. The wind was strong enough that it blew a 32' ladder off it's rack, glad I was not around as that would have left a mark.

Now today it is dead calm out. Looking from the Lodges deck the water is pretty churned up. You can see the wave action has stirred things up. I wonder how fishing will be later in the week. The park is a s clean as a whistle, you can see no sign of the 4th celebration. A few campers are returning for the next weekend. A few trees did go down but Hank has cleared them up. With Jess the paperboy and Mark the mailman out and also Frank the plow driver making his rounds most of the cabins on the lake will get looked over here in the next few days. With any luck when you make your next visit to the lake you will just have some branches to clean up. Hope you chained your garbage can up! From Lake Iwantobethere (15369)

Just one of those nice evening last night here at the lake. After a full day of working on re-roofing the garage and putting new siding on the shed when the sun started to go down it was time to call it a day. The wife had a couple of steaks all done up on the grill and me and the son sat down to a cold beer, steak and foil wrapped baked potatoes filled with onions and butter. It took me awhile but I was soon undoing the side buttons on my bibs and kicking back in the deck chair. Two more things I can mark off on the Honey do list.

Grand sons climbed into my lap and grandma took a break from the boys and there never ending search for something to get into. We started a fire in the pit and sat on the swing and watch the flames and an occasional spark head skyward. The sun went down and out came the bug candles and we added a wet log to the fire for smoke. The boys and I headed into the small tent and behind the screen we watched the flickering flames. Finding the small am radio the oldest started to dial through the stations looking for something to listen to. In the dark of the night a surprising number of stations were coming in on the little hand held radio. Reminded me of my youth when we would search the airwaves on the old tube Motorola. The hundred foot wire antenna stretching out to the big pine tree. WLS booming in then all the smaller radio stations. Saturday night listening to all the radio countdown shows. Finally falling asleep with the sun just coming up over the water and the radio quiet next to our ears, just the occasional bit of static.

We laid and watch the flickering flames, Grand ma came out to bring the boys in but we were just doing fine, We had the tent, a couple of sleeping bags and the radio. Not to mention the fire just a few yards away. "Boys' it's going to rain" I said. " How do you know that" The oldest

said.

" Because grandpa's know these things" not a minute after that the first drop hit the roof of the small tent, then another and another. A flash of lightning zipped and zagged across the sky over the lake. The boys hunkered a little deeper into the double sleeping bag. They were not afraid of rain just wanted to get cozy and enjoy the storm. With the little radio playing in the back ground and the rain falling and sizzling in the fire pit we watched. It didn't rain hard and we watched the fire fight to stay alive. At times it look like the rain had won and then it would flare up again and burn brightly, but after awhile it was just coals and one by one they to blinked out in a hiss of steam. The storm move out across the lake and soon all we could hear was the hissing of the fire trying to come back and a drop or two of water falling from the trees onto the tent roof.

The boys were both tucked up tight and sleeping next to me. I reached over to the little radio and propping it on it's side I found some music. Listening to a forgotten tune I watched the storm moving away and soon I to was asleep. From Lake Iwanttobethere (15482)

Well grandma being grandma sometime during the night came out and took the boys into the cabin. I woke up to the sun just peaking up over the tree line and the static of the little radio. I got out of the tent and stretched some and was quickly reminded of the work I had done the day before. Bud came out of the tent, he had been sleeping on the bottom of the sleeping bags and I didn't even notice. Must have come out when grandma got the boys. We headed down to the dock, Bud taking a detour making for the woods to take care of business. Walking through the wet grass I spotted a minnow bucket on the shore line by the dock. It had a big rock on it so it attracted my attention. Checking the bucket I see it had frogs in it. The grandsons have a standing offer to catch frogs for me and it looks like they found some yesterday and forgot to tell me. Looking at the frogs and the glass surface of the lake I didn't need any more encouragement. Whistling up Bud I was back in the cabin moving like a mouse gathering some cookies, a apple and a couple of cans of pop. Bud sitting by the fridge watched as I moved about gathering goodies. I patted him on the head and flipped the sign on the wall to " Gone Fishing"

Five minutes later I was easing the Puddle Humper out from the dock and with the engine just barely ticking over was putting water between me and the dock. A few minutes later I was up on plane leaving the bay and headed across the lake to my little spot that Mr. Big calls home. After eating the apple I eased off the throttle and entered the little out of the way bay. Putting the bow up against the floating bog I eased the floating door off to the side and slipped into the hidden bay. The floating mass closed behind me and I was all alone in me and Mr. Big's battleground. Dropping the trolling motor I moved forward with the little propeller barely spinning. Coming out of the channel I entered the the wide spot in the bay. I turn off the trolling motor and nibbling on a cookie sat on the chair and watched. The down tree, the home of Mr. Big was about another 75 feet ahead. With the sun in my face I would be casting no shadows on his lair, no wind to worry about. As I watched I could see some of his kin feeding around the tree. They would come up and slurp on the surface. They were going to be a problem. In the past they would take my offering before Mr. Big could get to them. But today I was going to feed them frogs and whittle them down. Then I would toss the biggest frog to the base of the tree and we would do battle.

Since I thought this was going to be a finesse job I brought along my 10' three piece crappie rod. I have used it a few times and with it's length I should be able to pitch the frogs right to the edge and remove the guarding little bass. Of course I had changed to some 30# Power Pro because I knew the 4# was not going to cut it. I had six frogs in the minnow bucket, I selected the smallest one and hooking it through the nose. I make a practice cast. Getting the swing just right I measured the distance to the first branch of the tree and tapping the trolling motor forward like a rider on his horse this joust was about to start. Moving forward a few yards I came to a stop and the slight bow wave from the boat wrinkled out towards the tree.

Well he did it again. I eased the first frog out on a pin point cast just to the edge of the branch sticking out of the water. The frog settle in and made one kick and was gone in a slurp that echoed off the trees surrounding the little bay. I set the hook expecting a 12 inch bass and was rewarded with a head shaking splashing Mr. Big erupting on the surface of the now white foaming water. Standing flat footed I lifted the rod skyward as the 10' tip made a big C with the tip just inches off the surface. Mr. Big was going right and the rod and me and then the boat followed him. The drag screamed in pain as the line peeled out and the first section of the rod broke with a crack like lightning on a hot summer afternoon. Moving to the bow I balanced trying to give as much as I could and still keep Mr. Big on. Zigging left the second section of rod crumbled. Standing on the trolling motor pedal I tried to close ground between us when the line went limp. Stepping off the pedal I looked at the last spot where I saw the line going into the water. I watched then I saw the line move like a perch had it then it was taunt and the rod yanked in my hand again and with that I felt nothing and then the hook coming out of the water like a missile launch. I threw up my arms and heard the hook bounce off the bow of the Puddle Humper. The remains of my rod look like it was an umbra in a hurricane. I sat done on my chair and eased the Humper back away from the down tree. Taking a deep breath I reached for another rod and that is when I notice the top off the minnow bucket and the last frog jumping off the stern and swimming for safety.

I adjusted my fishing cap and gave Mr. Big the high sign. He had out smarted me again. I made a peace offering and jokingly tossed my last cookie out towards the tree. Like a Frisbee it skipped under the branches to stop just short of the tree. As I watched Mr. Big came up and slurped it off the top. Well I'll be...... Cookies.. Hmmmmmm From Lake Iwanttobethere (15510)

Two days! It's been 2 days! I am having withdrawls here... what up at Iwannabethere? Hope that all is well at your abode Bobby. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Just like a prize fighter, it takes a while to recover from the battle with Mr. Big. He's probably sitting off in the corner of the lodge mumbling a bunch of nonsense about 10 foot poles. laugh.gif

After awhile everyone who fishes thinks they are pretty good. After awhile they think they are the best fishermen that they know. Certainly better then anyone that they go fishing with. A few times they might have been out fished but that was some quirk of nature or the other guy just got lucky. Soon you are thinking that you could have one of them there TV shows and get paid the big bucks to just go fishing. Have a new boat and a new truck. All the fancy new rods and reels and be the first to try out the new lures. Have someone pay for your gas and buy you your lunch. Everyday would be perfect and you would be a star on the outdoors network. Of course you would still like to thank all the little people out there and would not be stuck up like them fishing guys you see now. So the other night I had a dream of being a fishing star, except it did not pan out like I had thought it would.

I woke up before the alarm and went out with my daughter who was also going to be my camera person. As she backed up the truck I was busy making sure the creases in my new pants were straight. She mistook my hand signals as a keep coming back. She hit the tongue of the trailer jumping the 3rd wheel directly onto the top of my right foot. Holding back the tears I waved her to pull forward letting the trailer roll back off my foot. After the trailer was hooked up I traded places and got behind the wheel. Pulling out of the gated driveway I cut it a tad close and bent the right post. Not to worry I missed the garbage can. Rolling down the alley I noticed I had forgotten to secure the spare tire as it passed us before hitting the neighbors garage. With the tire back on board we finally made it to the street and headed to the lake. With the window down enjoying the fresh air I heard a clinking sound on the pavement as we went over the railroad tracks.

Stopping at the gas station to fuel up and do a boat inspection everything was fine. I did a rod count and thought that I had six on board but only five were under the strap. Hmmm I paid for gas and on to the lake we headed. No one at the landing and we backed right in. Unhooked the boat and pulled out, boat staying on the trailer. Backed back in and tried it again. Got out to push boat off trailer and realize still had the transom tie downs on. Took them of and floated boat. Parked truck and walked back to find boat floating away from shore. Swam to boat, water a little chilly. Discovered that drain plug was not in. Dragged boat to shore and pumped water out. Discovered that thermos with hot chocolate was more then likely on counter at home. Returned to truck for thirty minutes to warm up and dry underwear off. Pretty much missed the morning bite but finally did get on the water. Around ten or so hit a deadhead while looking at unsnagging six dollar spinner bait. Landed in water next to spinner bait and was able to unhook it with snagged shirt sleeve. Return to boat and motored to sunny side of island where I thought it would be a good place to get dry. Secured anchor to cleat and tossed over board. Boat continued to drift, pulled up rope with no anchor. Seems mice had chewed the rope.

Try to start motor no go, ended up standing in the water on the sandy beach of the island trouble shooting gas line. Replace tank line and bulb. I was prepared even had the right tools. Still no go, An hour later find out that the problem was the fill pipe inside the tank had fallen off. Pull tank guts apart and repaired with duct tape, motor started. Ran across lake to be on the landing side just in case I had any problems. Working my way into a little bay, tossing top waters. Hooked into a down right monster bass. Daughter standing behind me shooting it all on tape. Fish makes a run to the right and I stand on the trolling motor pad trying to turn the boat to stay up. Motor keeps turning when I step off the pad. Fish goes left as I go right and I hear the snap as the line breaks. Checking out trolling motor pad and discover I have broken a cable. Decide I have had enough fishing for the day. Laying on front casting platform I had to steer the trolling motor by hand. Big motor won't start again, gas ate the duct tape up.

Get to landing and waves coming in at right angle, already wet so I climb in and guide the boat up on the trailer. Can't get the trailer and boat out of the water. Do a smoke show with the truck finally getting trailer and boat up on the landing to discover the trailer has a flat tire. Drag rig to the side and change the flat tire. Get back in truck shaking from being wet. Daughter makes a comment about doing this everyday for a living. I make a comment about her walking home.

Arrive home, back trailer into boat house missing bent gate. Go to unlock trailer from truck find out that the clinking I heard was the keys to the trailer falling off the bumper where I left them. Drive to railroad tracks and in the dark with a flashlight I find the set of keys on the shoulder of the road. Most keys are smashed and bent but the trailer key is unharmed Return home and this time in the dark hit the bent gate. It is actually a little straighter now. Unhook trailer and drive to gas station to buy supper or anything that is hot. While I am there I put air in the flat tire of the trailer. Find out it is not flat, someone just let the air out..

Wake up from dream, decide that I am not going fishing today but am going to sleep in from Lake Iwanttobethere (15638)

Dan you almost hit it on the head I was thinking about 10' fishing poles. The remains of the last rod are just inside the garage door in half of an old wooden cask. They are joined there with several other rods that have been destroyed by Mr. Big and some of his relatives. They serve as a reminder of a quest not completed.. That and I have used them for parts. Actually I have been out fishing the past few days. The weather has been calm and I have been tossing buzz baits and flipping docks looking for some action. Even today as I look out over the lake it is dead calm again. I should go out and toss a few but I have a few odd jobs that I need to get to before a scheduled fishing trip on Friday.

I was at the Lodge working on my cookie recipe, Since Mr. Big slurped that cookie down with out a thought I have been trying to bake a 3/0 hook inside a ginger snap. Trouble being that the hook heats up and burns through the cookie, Didn't work with peanut butter either. I am going to try oatmeal raisin next. Thought we had a real problem there when Elmer came in and taste tested one of the peanut butter cookies fresh out of the oven. Never even saw the hook buried in the center, Luckily he just popped his dentures out and we used a forceps to remove the hook from the upper. He was not to happy but was intrigued with the idea of "hooker cookies"

Since the 10' rod is now just a memory I went down to see Vicki and using my discount bought a new bait casting reel. Need something I can skip those cookies back to Mr. Big with. I tested that out and was quite pleased with the casting distance I was getting with it. I was fishing with my friend Jerry and we spent more time talking then fishing. Everything we talked about started with " I remember when" Funny how now we are talking about kids and grand kids. A subject that we never touched on or even thought about fishing from a canoe some 35 years ago in the BWCA

Well we fished and chatted and added another memory to the list of times we have spent together. Lighting up cigars we made the run back to the cabin and like a couple of kids hopped out of the boat and headed up the hill to the cabin. By the time we got there we were old men again as we don't have the boat legs we once had 35 years ago. Funny how them boat seats don't seem so cushy after 6 hrs on the water either.

Well I have a list of things I need to do today, A trip to Jakes Smoke Shop is in order as I am running pretty low and they are needed for the night sketter bite. I think I have forgotten to mention that this is our annual BBQ week in the park. Tuesday was ribs, Wednesday is hot dogs/ brauts/ and polish. Thursday is Veggie day Friday is steak night and Saturday is burgers. Sunday is judging day and people will be BBQing all day and then we will be judging the best from all categories. I know it is a tuff job but I will be once again one of the judges. I am hoping Nytelyter will be cooking again this year and of course will share some of his secrets. Come the weekend we will also be having entertainment as we will be featuring on Friday the fantastic fine fingers of fifties fiddlers Fiona and Fred Fiddle and there sons Fedo, Fritz, Floyd and daughters Fawn and Frema and grand kids Felicity and Frank. on the back of the fancy Ford flathead flatbed and it's free!

Berry picking is starting to pick up and we are getting people in town looking for directions to some of the berry farms. Root Beer sales have been brisk as the weather has been just warm enough that a Root Beer hits the spot. Fishing has been a tad slow but this is the middle of summer. I can't tell you where summer has gone to already. Another six weeks and the lake will be quiet during the day as kids will be back in school and cabins will be closed up for the season and docks will start coming out of the water. Hammering Hank and Skinny are putting on the finishing touches to the replacement dock on Root Beer island. The dock was a total loss in the wind storm. This one will give Mindy and Mandy a little more room to tie up customers boats. As a gift all 229 pink flamingoes have been "released" on the island.

Capt Steve Needapenny and his pontoon boat "The Orca" have been anchored off root beer island for the past week or so. He is in search of Wanda and has his cameras over the side. Capt. Steve is retired and fancy himself as a explorer. His quest since moving to Lake Iwanttobethere is to prove that Wanda is out there. He will stay out on the water till the weather gets cooler or his wife finally wants him back at the cabin. He does add a little something to the sunset. If the wind is just right you can hear him playing his cassette of a bell on a warning buoy. He fancy himself as a sea captain. The sound of the bell is a little out of place here on Lake Iwanttobethere but a nice effect to tell stories around the campfire with. What is really eire is when he plays his fog horn tape on a crystal clear night.

Well nothing is getting done here and as I sit typing this the wife has come in twice and scribbled more things to do on my "To Do List" Lake is still dead calm outside the window here, maybe I'll go down to the dock and just make one cast, just one. From Lake Iwanttobethere (15679)

Spending the afternoon here at the Lodge today, have to get some time in behind the bar. Baseball game on the TV and a few of the guys are hiding out from their wife's and there never ending to do lists. Windows are open and the friendly smell of BBQ's at work drift in. The park is perhaps half full with tourists and locals. Halfway thru BBQ week and have not seen a skeeter since the first grill was lit. Several boats are out front of the landing floating in the waves of Lake Iwanttobethere. Capt Steve can be seen sitting in his lounge chair on the back of the Orca. Root Beer island has a lot of color on it as the 229 pink flamingoes cover most of the point.

Between innings of the game we have been having a discussion about our upcoming lodge drive for memberships. Of course beers and pops are also poured only at this time so everyone has to come to the bar, cuz I ain't no waitress. Our last batch of members are already coming up on there 2nd years of dues and we will need some new blood for the ice shanty launch. Unusual for people to want to get flung twice. Speaking of ice houses, Shawn McNight has been on the crappies, he has a few nice fish entered in the on going fishing contests both here at the lodge and at the Masterbaiters. Not being to interested in open water fishing he has his ice house on his pontoon boat. He cut holes in the pontoon decking and lower his ice house on top of it. With the generator running outside and hooked up to his air conditioner propped in the ice house window he thinks it is early December in there. It must work as he is catching fish.

As I sit on my stool at the end of he bar kind of watching the game and jotting away here I got to thinking about people who come here and read about Lake Iwanttobethere the first time. For those of you who have cabins here or make regular visits comments about ice fishing shanty flings make perfect sense. To a new reader they might think there is hanky panky going on here.

Some of you may be going to the DNR web site trying to find out which county Lake Iwanttobethere is in. We do have a map of the lake here in the hall to the washrooms but it never is complete. People are always coming in and adding there bay to it and there are grease pencil marks all over it where the latest hot spots have been x'd in.

As a matter of fact I think it would be a good time to have a roll call of readers and members of the Lake Iwanttobethere Lodge. There is a string here about being counting to a million I think a roll call of members is a better idea and besides this well let others get to know their neighbors. So when you read this how about giving a shout out to others here at the lake? From Lake Iwanttobethere (15735)

1) Bobby Bass-I live on the tip of the first point down from town. With insight of town and the public access. Chuck and Elmer are my neighbors but they refuse to use the computer as they are old ! hahha

I guess 2) McGurk, recent aquirer(er?) of a small shack on the shores of Lake IWBT. Just my wife and me (at present) and commute regularly from my home (here) to a 5-day long stay at the cities on a weekly basis. Still meeting regulars here and am enjoying the festivities.

Formulated fixing up a flying fishhouse for the fling, failing forthwith.

3.) Dan Thiem. Resident of the lake with a few good friends that have cabins there. Always enjoy myself while reading about the lake and my rare but cherished trips to the lake.

Almost got in some trouble with my ice stealin dog once but Bobby smoothed it out for us.

My favorite things about the lake. In no particular order.

Pizza cannon

ice shack flings

Mindy and Mandy and their root beer

the way the mail gets delivered

the residents and their funny activities

And of course this list I copied and pasted from an earlier post.

Lodge Pole Resort

Reed the Realtor, local Realtor, Town Hall member

Porky's Houseboat-drink establishment.

Pink Flamingoes- a donation puts the flock in your yard of choice.

Johnson boys, local brothers who do odd jobs when home from college.

Hammering Hank, town handy man, jack of all trades. Town Hall member.

Tom Miller-FOOT, a resident of Lake Iwanttobethere who passed on.

Dew Drop Inn-drinking and eating establishment.

You Bet'Em Casino ran by Ma and Pa Willow pull tab business

Mark the Mailman

Ms. Molley Bodensteiner, Reeds secretary, part owner of the Watering Hole

Frank the county plow driver

Marv's Dinner- eating establishment.

Marc's towing and Lawn Service

Dr.Burriem, towns retired Doctor

Sundown Cafe- eating establishment

Gas and Go where Willie Wrenchhead works

Wolfgang Puck, noted local trapper

Jess the Paperboy

Old Lady Snaggletooth- mother of Bucky Snaggletooth owner of the mini-dounuts

Blaze-resident of Lake Iwantobethere

Dan Thiem-resident of Lake Iwantobethere

Widow Hess-just think of Ann Margret in Grumpy Old Men

Dusty McMurtry's chimney sweep

Dale Frozen Toe Mitchel- former ice depth tester and resident.

Mabel's Sauna and Hot House

John Lufer- power co. Employee- resident

Jimmy- resident-fishermen

Swen and Leona's boy Lars- local hockey player.

Sunshine Ray-local radio weatherman for KCUM

KCUM local radio station

Old Man Walter-resident

Old Man McFarlane- former resident-rocker- big donor to town

Surplus is Us- local discount store

Floyd owner of Floyd's hardware store.

Nytelyter-fishermen here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Ben and Jeannie- former TV hosts- residents

McPettes- resident-still owner ?

Peters- deceased resident

Mrs. Peters-accused of making Mr. Peters deceased.

Jones Twins- owners of the Do Me Inn- resort

(15,758)

4.) Duckslayer AKA Jimbo. Bought a small place on the south end of the lake with my pittance that they call my Air Force retirement check. Jack of all trades, master of none. Spend time on the look out for the "meanders". They are a VERY mean bird and if they were to colonize here it would be a disaster! Like to hunt and fish and hope to have a fish house built to partake in the launch this year. I wonder if I would be disqualified for putting some JATO bottles on it for a bit of extra umph... With all the good people that live here as well as those who visit this has to be the best place on the web to take up residence. Bobby, those new cement pads are working out great for parking the bike! I spose one of these weekends we will have to bring mama's MGB up here and show it off. Will have to enter it in the next parade and throw tootsie roll's out of it! Well it is about time to watch the news and fall asleep. Don't have to worry about seeing the weather tonight... it's gonna be nice all the way through the weekend. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

To sweeten the deal if you post and let us know that you visit us here at Lake Iwanttobethere we are offering at no charge some coupons to area businesses. As soon as the word was out several offers came in, so if you post here is what you can get.

Pitcher of Mindy and Many's Root Beer and four Coney's here at the Lodge.

Free parking at the public access.

Buy one Loose meat sandwich and get one free at AMY's

10% off any thing in Earl's General Store sidewalk rack.

50% off any one meal with one at full price at the Dew Drop Inn

Free sub with big pizza shot from Del's using the Pizza Cannon.

10% off with Hammering Hank on any new job with a free calendar!

Molly Massage is offering free oil.

There may be more.

Dan, Duckslayer and McGurk you can pick yours up at the Lodge. From LakeIwanttobethere (15805) Don't forget Friday the fantastic fine fingers of fifties fiddlers Fiona and Fred Fiddle and there sons Fedo, Fritz, Floyd and daughters Fawn and Frema and grand kids Felicity and Frank. on the back of the fancy Ford flathead flatbed and it's free!

Nytelyter... aka paul i am on the point that seperates sylvia bay and waconia bay i have the john deere green fishhouse that doubles as my summer cabin. (not to be confused with the john deere green cabin where the nudists live) i have just recently retrieved my old atwater 4 horse from vicki at masterbaiters that i had lost many years ago off of the back of an old boat i once owned. and i am the resident sailor as you will see an 18ft hobiecat with brightly colered sails onit on the shore of my point. i also am a semi retired pyrotechnition. and still love to dabble in them on the 4th. it was said i had a pretty good show for my 1st year on the point. i also make a mean pot of beans and am a regular participant in the bbq weeks festivities. with my award winning brisket. i have kind of taken a likeing to mindy. but heck who hasnt. i do know there a few rumors about her and me. as we have been seen together more than once in the past. but a gehtleman will never tinder or denigh those rumors. ... paul

I just want to point out here that Nytelyter did not say anything about picking up his coupon for Mindy and Mandy's Root Beer.. Me thinks he is getting his Root Beer for free!!

Also Chuck has added a coupon for a small bottle of his Lake Iwanttobethere Maple Syrup. Dug has also offered free air for all trailer tires at his shop...

Got a call at the Lodge from an irate town mayor, Tom. He was looking for our part time constable. I told him he was out fishing with Elmer as he had to work the Friday night stage area with the fantastic fine fingers of fifties fiddlers Fiona and Fred Fiddle and there sons Fedo, Fritz, Floyd and daughters Fawn and Frema and grand kids Felicity and Frank. on the back of the fancy Ford flathead flatbed and it's free!

Anyway someone had parked a SUV across the two parking meters and the handicap parking area. in front of Doc Burriem's and Reed the Realtor place. Tom, the mayor had been waiting in his car for the last hour to give the driver a piece of his mind. It might be fine in the big city to just park in fire zones and loading zones and walk away but that was not going to happen here at Lake Iwanttobethere. I could hear he was getting more upset as the parking meters were his babies. I suggest maybe Dug could find a way to secure the SUV till the owner came back or maybe Tom should just go to the town hall and get the extra book of tickets we ordered and just write the driver a ticket himself.

That was no good as we both know if the driver was not a local he would just drive off and never pay. I told him I would pass the information to Dug and try to get a hold of Elmer. Calling Del's pizza shop I ordered some pasta and bread shot to Elmer with a message about the SUV Then I called Dug at the garage and he said he had an idea.

Later I had to make a run to the cabin and as I went by Doc's I saw the gold SUV up on blocks with all four tires gone. There was a note on the window so I guess he will be paying for his ticket before he leaves town today. And who says nothing ever happens here at Lake Iwanttobethere ! (15826)

What can I say, Nytelyters brisket is a thing of beauty. I had three portions before I decided for sure to name him the over all blue ribbon winner. Congrats..... BBQ week is winding down. We had five very nice days for it and now the heat is coming. Going to be in the 90's here for the next several days and I think the town will be quiet. Night fishing out on the flats will be the thing.

Spent the better part of the morning working on Chuck's inboard, had to replace the starter. Getting it out was not to bad but then we had to find a replacement. What starts as an easy job always seems to get more involved as the sun gets higher and the day gets hotter. Finally got it running just in time to make the run down to the park. Which was good as there was no parking with all the cooking going on.

After all the ribbons were awarded I came up to the Lodge to get out of the sun and have a cold frosty beer. No root beer, it was time for a Hamms on tap. Sitting on the deck with the cold mug in my hand resting on my full gut. The melting frost dripping on me, felt good. Nice breeze blowing from the lake and the rich smell of BBQ smoke and sauce. Just don't get much better then this. After an hour or so I was recharged and went looking for some ribs.

Coming up on the calendar we have the Lake association meeting next week, and then the most talked about event. In just a little under a month, the wedding of Hammering Hank and Ms. Hess. Our black carhart coveralls and frilly white French shirts came in the other day. If I have enough Hamms in me I won't mind the frilly shirt, at least for awhile. Forecast is calling for some dead middle of the summer heat. Things are going to get warm and sprinklers will be running. My gardens are doing ok. They could be better, my corn is nothing to talk about. After that wind storm it took a lot of them down and the rest are not standing to tall. Berries on the other hand are doing good and my wine grapes are doing great! With the heat coming we might just see some good thunderstorms late in the afternoons. Not good to be out on the water when they develop but a lot of fun to be in the swing and enjoy the free light show. Of course any moisture will be welcomed. A few of the back bays are really low, some don't even have enough water to float a pontoon. For cabin owners this makes life a little tuff having to get wet wading out to the boat. For some unknown reason some of the other bays are a little higher then last year and are not so weedy. Water temps have been right around 76 to 80 but I expect that will go up.

Tonight here at the lake it is 60 out at 10 PM and actually a little chilly away from the fire. Going to bring as much as that cool air into the cabin and then close things up tight for tomorrow. Still activity down at the park and access as people are just now starting to come off the lake and a few fires are being lite and others are being added to. The breeze is bring the smoke out over the point and that is one thing that I never can get enough in the summer. Someone shot off a few fireworks but that was soon stopped. I did notice the Ford Flatbed leaving after the final performance of Floyd and family this evening. They won't be back till Hank's wedding reception.

The owner of the gold SUV finally showed up and after a heated discussion and a warning the ticket was voided. The SUV owner figured he had beaten the little town mayor and cop until he received the bill from Dug for putting his tires back on. After money was exchanged Dug put the rest of the lug nuts on. So the town did get it's money as Dug bought a round at the Lodge.

Sitting out on the swing at the cabin this evening an endless parade of pontoons were going by. In all colors, shapes, and sizes. A few are fishing as you could see rods in cradles or being held by hand. Most were just filled with locals laughing and chatting away as they putt around the lake. A few water skiers were out and a few jet skies to but we don't usually see to many of them.. Ever since Elmer impaled that one used jet that he bought on the dead head in front of his cabin as a warning. Well time for me to turn in I think. Spent enough time in the sun today and might have had just a tad to much brisket and maybe a few to many Hamms. The swing is looking good and I may just grab a quilt and sleep outside tonight. I'll let the birds wake me up in the morning and get a little fishing in before the sun gets up to high. Hoping you made the trip to your end of the lake today or am on your way up tomorrow. Summer by some people is already half way done. From Lake Iwanttobethere (15894)

A quick post to let you know of another follower of the goings on at Lake Iwanttobethere. My 85 year old mother has the cabin just east of Ottertail Point that has the two white martin houses. I try to spend as much time at the "lake" as I can, and my life goal is to personally meet each and every gamefish in the "lake". Keep up the good work and maybe someday we'll meet and enjoy a cold one together (or better yet with Mindy or Mandy or Mindy and Mandy). Life at the lake, it just doesn't get any better!!

eelpout

MMMMMMM! BARBEQUE .... BURRRRRP!!! glad you liked the brisket bobby. the ribbon is welll worth the time it took to do it. ... paul

Well the plan was to have the birds be my alarm clock this morning but that did not work out. Instead I woke up to the distant rumble of thunder and the sound of rain drops hitting the canopy above the swing. Since I was comfortable I just dozed some more as the rain moved in. With the heat wave still on it's way today's rain was a nice surprise. It came down hard a few times and the rest was a nice steady drizzle. Just what the gardens, and lawn needed. Around eight or so in between showers I grabbed some breakfast and went down to the dock. I took out the 9' spinning rod and launched a leech out into the deep hole right out in front of the dock. I can just make it with the long pole. Thirty minutes later I had three walleyes for the frying pan. I cleaned them up and a few minutes later they were on ice up at the cabin.

The Puddle Humper was already on the trailer so during the rest of the afternoon I spent time in the boat house removing the scum line and using metal polish to clean up the hull and rails. Didn't want that scum to get baked on if the warm weather comes as promise. With the radio tuned to the baseball game the job went quickly. Had the doors open and the steady sound of the rain and the baseball game just seemed to go together. Around three or so the rain stopped for good. I went to the fire pit and started a small fire in the ever present bed of coals and went inside to get fixings. My daughter was on the outside swing busy reading the latest Harry Potter book. Even Harry has made it to Lake Iwanttobethere. From time to time I would hear her laugh or utter a profanity at what was happening in the book. She has been reading and following Mr. Potter since the sixth grade.

Gathering my fillets I made quick work of peeling some spuds and dicing them up. Taking the two big cast iron fry pans to the fire I soon had spuds and fish frying away on the open fire. Adding some onions to the tatters and late lunch was ready. Only then did the daughter come and join me and the wife. Eating while still holding the book open with one hand she continued to read. I said nothing, I am happy that she enjoys reading so much. With the price of books these days it is hard to find a young person that will spend the money let alone the time to read one. I did get a kiss on the cheek and she headed back to the swing to continue reading.

Going back to the boat house I checked tackle boxes and rods. My friend Jerry and I will be going out fishing tomorrow afternoon as we are both going to use the heat as an excuse to not work. I have a few things that need to be done but by noon I will be ready to go. Jerry may take a little longer before he can get an excuse to get out of the office and to the lake. With the boat ready I was back down at the dock. Barney was fishing. As soon as the last of the thunderstorms left he was out of the cabin and his hiding spot. Standing on the dock looking over his shoulders I can see he was eyeing some gills that were moving back and forth under the dock. A few pontoons trolled by and we exchanged some waves and fishermen hand signals in regards to number of fish caught and size. It being silent Sunday they know I won't answer them if they yell anyway. I head back up to the deck and have to step over a sleeping Bud. He opens one eye and watches me. As soon as he figures there is no bone coming his way he closes the eye and resumes his snoring.

Having nothing better to do I stir the coals in the fire pit and add a few chunks of wood. I am soon rewarded with a blazing fire and sitting in one of the wood chairs I soon am lost in the fire and the sounds of the lake. You know I have never seen the same fire twice. Everyone is different. There is something to be said for good fires and bad fires. Small hot coal fires for cooking and smoky ones to keep the bugs away. Bright fires with flames for light and hot ones to keep the cold away. Teepee fires that fall into themselves and fires made of gopher wood, as soon as you put the wood in the fire you GoFer more. Elmer came over with two beers in hand, pulled up a chair upwind of the smoke and we clanked bottles and grunted. Got dark fast as they skies were cloud covered. Birds sang for a few minutes and then the lake was quiet. Bud came down and laid on the ground looking into the dancing flames of the fire. I wonder what he was thinking. Not long after Barney came out of the cabin with a bone and Bud seeing this went to get his. From out of the shadows Pepper appeared and leaned up against the chair that Elmer was sitting in. He reached down and gave her a dog rub and pat. With that Elmer got up and retrieve his and my empty beer bottle and walked into the darkness heading for his cabin. Pepper climbed into his still warm chair and was fast asleep.

I debated on throwing another log on the fire. My daughter with Bud following came to the fire. Reaching down she pushed coals around with the poker and then added two more chunks to the fire. Sparks flew skyward and the wood caught. She shared the chair with Pepper and gazed into the fire. Looking at me she said "It was good, you will have to read it".. I nod and we both go back to the fire. From Lake Iwanttobethere (15954)

Quote:

My 85 year old mother has the cabin just east of Ottertail Point that has the two white martin houses.

eelpout

Ahh I have lost a fish or two off that point, welcome to the lake Eelpout and stop by the Lodge, there are coupons in your name there. Come to think of it I think them Martins attacked me once, but that is another story! Bobby Bass

Ahhh just got back from the lodge. I was feeling a mite hungry so I stopped in to claim my pitcher of Mindy and Many's root beer and 4 coneys for lunch. Now I think that I will stay in the cabin for a while, the 4 conies all at once may not have been a good idea. confused.gif

I am sure glad that it did not get as hot today as they were predicting! The AC broke on Saturday and we are in a dilemma. The inside unit is 19 years old and the outside unit is 21 years old at least. Do we sink money into that or just update the whole thing and get a much more efficient one? Will have to ask around the lodge and see what the consensus is. Would be nice to get lower utility bills though! We are leaning towards updating but then we have not seen what those prices are yet either and there may be some sticker shock involved there. Would be around $200.00 to $300.00 just to fix the immediate issue of the fan and some relays going bad.

Think that I just might take BGB (Big Green Boat) out later when things settle down shocked.gif and see if I can catch something for supper later on tonight. Powerful as those conies are they may not last the night. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Hot enough for ya? A balmy 92 here at the lake. A slight breeze but not a lot happening in town. Good afternoon to just find a shade tree and sip on lemonade. Even to hot for a fire in the grate today. Maybe when the sun goes down we will gathering around the fire pit and start it up. Spent last night with my friend Jerry fishing. We trailer the Puddle Humper to a launch site on the far side of the lake and it was actually quite nice there after we got out on the water and away from the biting horse flies. First thing we did was take a swim in the 81 degree water and then air dried. Fishing with Jerry is pretty low keyed as we spend more time with the lures out of the water talking of days and memories of women long ago.

We did get some fishing in, tossing spinner baits looking for bass but catching more hammer handles. Nothing with any size and we were beginning to wonder if our little bass bay was turning into a northern sanctuary. After a few hours and only one bass and ten northerns brought to the boat we were thinking about getting off the water and heading to a tavern for a cold one. We turn the humper towards the landing and decide to fish our way up the shore line when we finally started to pick up a few bass. Nothing big just those solid pound and half to two pound fish. The ones that make an evening fun. I was still looking for a big top water hit and the water was perfect for it. I had spent a good part of the night tossing a buzz bait at good looking spots and my arm was about ready to fall off. Switching rods I had a big zara spook on and I dropped in an opening between some Lilly pads. Turning to Jerry I continued telling a story about another fishing trip we had both made. Glancing back at the spook I gave it a soft twitch and was rewarded with a big splash and some weight on the rod. I set and felt a nice fish for half a second and then nothing. A single word echoed from mouth around the bay as I reeled in slowly. Working the bait like a wounded morsel talking out loud to Jerry about how them big bass like to wound their prey and then come back and hit again. The bass was not listening as the lure made it all the way back to the humper with out even a swirl.

Not much of a story to end the nights fishing but sometimes even here on Lake Iwanttobethere we don't always catch a big fish. A lot of times we make our memories out of the weather or who we are fishing with. A nice fish would have been nice. All I would have wanted was to get her on, then maybe get her close to the boat and then I suppose I would have like to touch her. Putting her on the scale and a couple of pictures would have been nice also. Not to mention bragging rights for awhile. But I was left with a memory of what could have been and a mental note to fish that section of shore line with a little more attention next time.

I did hear that Duckslayer had his four Coney's and drank his pitcher of root beer at the lodge. It was kind of meant to be a family meal but I guess Duckslayer was hungry. The Coney's do have a way of just sliding down. Ellpout I meant to say I was attacked by Martians not Martins off your grandma's place but that still is another story.. Well I am off to the dock to dangle my feet in the lake for awhile. Hot enough here that all three dogs and all three cats are in the bedroom with the ac on. Amazing how good buddies they can be when it is hot out and they have to share. From Lake Iwanttobethere(16062)

Being the cat lover that I am, NOT, I would even share with them at this point! Our AC is still out! Here in the dungeon it is not so bad but upstairs is just plain unbearable! 84 is what the thermostat says it is up there but it feels a lot worse than that. I am hoping for a cool night so that I can get some sleep. We have a new unit coming tomorrow or Thursday and it will be a lot more efficient than the one that we have but holy cow, they are sure not cheap! Did get out to do some fishing last night but had about the same luck as you did Bobby. Ended up coming to the cabin and making some corn dogs for supper. Not as good as fresh caught fish but like my buddy George always says "It'll fill the hole and make a ....".

Has the look of rain out there tonight but not the smell. I guess we will miss it once again on this end of the lake! Yard is looking pretty brown on the down side but on the up side I have not had to mow it for three weeks now! Would like to see some rain though, the crops could sure use it! I am afraid that if we do not get some soon the whole community will have to get together and wash and wax their cars, you know, that modern day rain dance! Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo