• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishin report for Lake Iwanttobethere..

Bobby Bass

Well we finally did it. Reed was here this afternoon and we signed the papers. We have sold the Lodge. They are going to come in and put one of them big box stores in here. It is going to have a tackle dept. So masterbaiters will be out of business here soon to. Vicki has no problem with that as they offered her a chunk of money so they can build a service building where her shop is now. We are taking the lodge money and will be dividing it up between the members. Number of membership years divide by any past dues owed. We will be cleaning the walls off and bring it up to that Twig swap meet and see what we can get for it.

We have been keeping this under wraps but have talked about it over the past several meetings. Elmer who is one of the last founding fathers has decide to retire to a small island in the south pacific. Has been on the Internet talking with some gal name mooie. She is a princes and can get Elmer a deal on a thatch hut with coral fencing with his own lagoon. No more jet ski's bothering him. Time for me and the boys to move back to the big city to. Can't get a good cup of coffee here and there is a starbucks on every corner in the city. Not to mention the stores stay open till ten so you can buy beer late. This may come to a surprise to some of you but this small town stuff can get old after awhile. Well have a good day, they are coming to turn off the power.(10698)

hmmmm i wonder if the date of this post has anything to do with the content. good thing my point of land is on the far side of the lake. but i cant help but think of the light pollution the new store will create. ... paul

You had me for a minute. First one all day that actually worked. For just a second. Well may more. smirk.gif Way to go!

My heart skipped a beat, and I didn't get it until Dan pointed it out. Even Paul slipped it by. Nice one! A tear will roll when that gets posted for real. Thanks for the heart-hiccup, Bobby!

Yesterday proved to be an interesting day. I had the afternoon planned to go trout fishing in the afternoon. Woke up to another breezy wet day but plans are plans. The wife went into town to get some groceries at Ma and Pa's and then to Amy's for some loose meat sandwiches. Since as you all know I have a tradition of Silentl Sundays I stayed at the cabin and took care of some paper work and did a little web surfing. When the wife came home she set grocery bags down in the dining room as she did not want to walk through the house with muddy feet. A few minutes later she came and asked me if I saw a white bag with bagels in it from Amy's She could not find them. About an hour later when I was getting ready to leave she was in the kitchen giving Pepper our pit bull a lecture. She found Pepper in her crate with the bag of bagels. Dog must have picked them up between trips to the jeep. She was scolding her just like you would scold any three year old. I just nodded and continued on my way. As I was going out the door I happen to look back and see both Bud and Barney sitting in front of the fireplace. They had their bagels leaning up against the spark screen, I guess they were toasting theirs.

Arriving next door at Chucks, Elmer was just cutting through the yard. Did not take us long to put the waders and rods and coolers and boxes in the back of Chucks explorer and we were out the drive and on our way. Chuck and Elmer traded barbs back and forth and I sat in the back seat admiring the view and peaceful Sunday. We arrived at the river to a packed parking access of cars, trucks and some old country station wagons. Carrying our equipment we slipped into cold waders and headed down the trail to the river. River was running pretty good and there were fishermen shoulder to shoulder in the good holes. Elmer let loose with a few good curse words at our timing misfortune. Chuck taking the lead push his way ahead of us and in a loud voice started asking if anyone had an explorer in the parking lot "You left your lights on" Several different fishermen scrambled up the bank headed towards the trail. Chuck waved Elmer and I down and we quickly stepped into the now vacant holes, filling the gaps in the fishing assault on the river. Elmer turn to Chuck and said "Did you leave the lights on ? " Chuck nods and says " Yup, but I got a spare battery"

Slipping into the cool river water I took a few steps away from the bank and the cold water flowed around my waders. In a minute I was drifting my spawn bag with the current and it took no time at all to feel the rhythm of the river. I'd liked to say fishing was great, it wasnt. I had more fish bump against my legs then I did on the end of my line. I had my rod tucked under my arm and was trying to blow some heat on my frozen fingers when a guy from across the river pitched his rig between my legs. I was going to say something but it being Sunday all I could do was give him my best glare. Before I could turn up my glare to full power he hooked a fish between my legs and his voice rang out ' FISH ON " He worked the fish to his side of the shore line and Elmer and Chuck just laughed as they were busy trying to get a drift between my legs.

Well after a few hours of this abusive behavior from my friends I made my way out of the water and started to return to the truck. Only a few trucks left in the lot and Chucks explorer sat by itself with a note hanging from the windshield. " We turned your lights off, you left them on" Well right neighborly of someone. Stuff was loaded in the back of the truck and we took the scenic route back home. Funny how we are always so much in a hurry to get to the water but we can take our time leaving. We were just about home when Chuck started to talk about the April fool joke Larry, Reed's brother in law was going to play on him today. Something about buying the Lodge and he had been sending somebody from the lodge pictures of this south Pacific princess who is really like 90 years old. Her name is like Mookie or Mooie or something. Got kind of quiet in the truck and Elmer was not saying much. I wanted to say a lot but it was still Sunday.

We stopped at the Lodge and I logged in to see that Larry had hacked into the Lake Iwanttobethere site and had gotten away with his joke. I changed the password so it won't happen again. Made a note to have a talk with Larry when he comes back in town. The guys had put a microphone on the bar in front of the seat that is marked in memory of Kirby. Found out that Herb Carneal had died that morning. Guys around here do things like that. Mic at Kirby's chair looks like it belongs there. I tipped a glass to Herb and went home.

Found the wife and all three dogs sitting and waiting for me when I got home. Hung up my vest and stood by the fire to warm up. The wife was now standing and tapping her foot. The fire was making a nice crackling sound and I could only hear about every third word or so. I was only listing to every other one anyway but it had to do something about bagels and roasting and we need to do something. I think I agreed to go to Amy's in the morning and buy replacement bagels and cheese. Looking at the dogs they did look kind of guilty and Bud was licking his lips a lot. Well from Lake Wanttobethere (10749)

12 inches of heart attack snow fell last night and yesterday. When you are a young lad it is the kind of snow that is perfect for building castles and huge snowmen. The kind of snow to build bridges out of or to "borrow" the old mans battery boxes. Fill them with snow and make building blocks. After that it was what ever you could imagine you could build. In an old mans world it is a heart attack snow. !2 inches of heavy, wet snow. To heavy to use the blower on and to heavy for an old man to be shoveling. Chuck and I just finished cleaning up the old mans place. Elmer... He was out there at 7 this morning starting to shovel. Us two youngsters came over and let him go into his management phase. Following his direction we pulled heavy snow off the roofs and using the tractor pushed it off to the side out of the way. With plenty of breaks it took us most of the morning to get it done. I spent a good part of the afternoon yesterday during the storm pushing stuff around with the tractor so I am not in to bad of shape. Chuck will wait for the sun to come out and melt his. I guess we can call it a storm when you get 12 inches of snow and it sets a record for the lake for the most snow in April.

Kind of pretty out though. The trees are heavy in snow and with the wind just starting to come up now the snow is falling off in clumps. Looking over the lake all you see is white and a few open spots. Dogs have not been in the front yard yet so it is undisturbed. Between breaks resting on our shovels you could just make out Frank the plow driver on the other side of the lake. You could hear the grader as it weaves it's way along the shoreline of the lake. Echoing as it plows the road along the bays. Sometimes you could even hear the sound of the chains slapping along the roadway. A few robins watched us sitting on the fence posts. They looked somewhat out of place and I think they were as confused as we were. First week in April for snow is not all that uncommon but we just got done with melting all of our snow and then we had that little ice storm and now this. I'm not going to complain to much, we need the water. Guess I should have put the deck furniture back in the shed when I had the chance.

I was already in town this morning to. Had to get gas at the Gas-n-Go for the blower and also a trip to the General Store. Earl was busy selling those shovels that he had ordered. Nothing like buying something out of season and being able to sell them right away. He was making a lot of people happy as he actually had snow shovels in stock. Bet ya can't find one in the big city today!

Earl is always ready, he had pulled back the cart with umbrellas, fly swatters and bug spray to the back of the store and pulled the cart with shovels, ice melt and scrappers to the front. The big old yellow bucket with mop was at hand to catch the snow melt coming in the door. Earl just beamed at the tracked in snow and said to no one in particular " liquid money" So I got my replacement shovel and a bag of ice melt just in case. Listening to Sunshine Ray on the radio looks like Chuck is going to have snow for awhile. Temps going to stay right around 30 or so. Melting is not going to happen quick. Mother nature is teasing us this year. No snow till the last month and she has been dumping on us. Riders will get in a few more runs and I'll bet the Lodge will have visitors tonight. Come ride your snowmobile to the Lodge and catch the Twins game! Only at Lake Iwanttobethere.

I think I might use my gift card tonight at Ma's Resort and Health Spa. I have this feeling that after I pull the snow off my roofs today that a good soak in Ma's hot tub and a few brandy waters using her spring water will be in order. With Spring coming sooner or later more of the business along main street will be extending their hours. Since I spend a lot of time in town I will be making my rounds so to speak. As the towns building inspector I do have to visit everyone at least twice a year. Of course being the talker that I am it sometimes takes me a while to make these rounds. Lucky for me Elmer will be doing the Fire Marshal rounds as that would mean I would have to see everyone a third time. I would never have time to do anything else.

As much as some people would not like to see it the town is growing. We get more and more people from the big city coming out here and that is good and bad. Good for business but bad for some people who are set in there ways. At last months town hall meeting there was a discussion that we needed a pay phone in the middle of town. After going to committee and being discussed it was decided to install one on the wall outside of Reed the Realtor office and next door to Doc Burriems office. We had to put in a two calls for a dollar phone. As we could not find one that took quarters any more .It was also decided that we needed to put in some parking meters to help pay for the phone as we figure no one was really going to use it but we had to have it. We bought three parking meters and installed them. After a complaint from the county we had to take the middle one and turn it into a handicap spot. So now we have two meters that no one will park in because they don't want to put a quarter in the meter but we do have a public pay phone. Reed was upset because the meters were in front of his office but now he advertise that he has the only reserved parking in town and validates, just like in the big city. Doc Buriem uses the handicap spot and now ties his car to the meter.

So let summer come. I have had enough snow, I have had enough white. I long for open waters. The sound of honkers flying low and slow across the bay. Can't wait for that first night on the deck with the setting sun and the call of a loon. Barney standing on the dock looking for sunfish and Bud on alert looking for the old goose. Hearing the small waves lapping at the old wood rowboat. The smell of BBQ and the faint sound of a baseball game carried by the wind across the lake. Winter is done, will it go already !!! From the snow covered, nothing is green shores of Lake Iwanttobethere... (10828)

[image]http://payphone.jpg[/image] Here is a picture of the recently installed pay phone here at Lake Iwanttobethere. The phone is between Reed the Realtors office and the office of Doc Burriem's.. Two calls for a dollar, we think that is a good deal!

You know I thought I already wrote all about melting snow, and mud appearing and pot holes and everything that comes with the ending of winter and the coming of spring. But with an ice storm and then 12 inches of snow it was like winter never really ended. If I didn't have a note here about the 72 degree day that would have all but been forgotten. Reminds me a lot of when my parents would measure me and my brothers against the kitchen door. Every year there would be a new pencil mark on the door showing how much we had grown. With out that reminder we would have forgotten. I guess writing about things here at the lake is like putting a pencil mark on the kitchen door.

I posted a picture of the new pay phone. By the end of summer we will have forgotten all about it and it will just be another thing here at the lake we will take for granted till we need it and it does not work. We went for a long time with a burn out bulb in the towns street light and just never thought about it till it was repaired and now we don't think about it being on. Just take things for granted. I guess we take Wade for granted. He is out garbage man. I can hear him outside the Lodge right now as I just heard the boom of the dumpster being unloaded into his truck. We would sure notice him if he didn't show up. We don't notice Frank the plow driver for most of the year. But as soon as we get that first snowfall we wonder when he is going to show up. Mark the mailman is popular when income tax refund check time comes around. But most of the time he is just bring bills and junk mail. I try and make a point of knowing everyone. To some that makes me a busy body to others they like that someone knows there name. I have always thought that name tags were there so you could say hi.

Well with spring coming for the 2nd time this year we had the town meeting last night at the lodge. There was no baseball game on TV and we were just kind of sitting around and there was enough of the founding fathers so any decision could be voted on or at least discussed. We talked some about advertising. Maybe it is time for the town to take a more positive approach in promoting itself. We have a small budget, used mostly for postcards and a calendar. We were talking about maybe making some bumper stickers. We kind of sat around and discussed some ideas for them. The Lodge has a bigger budget. But then the Lodge sponsors fishing contests and is a big backer of the ice house fling and 4th of July celebration. As much as we did not want to we added the three parking meters to the one that we have. The paper work keeping track of the meters and having to have someone go out and empty them so far costs more then the revenue brought in. That might change in summer when the traffic is more then two cars at a time on the street. We tabled the discussion for further review. The town hall is awaiting the final rush of locals needing help with there taxes. I will be spending a few hours a day down there doing what I can to help out. Ruby T. our very own ragtime piano player will be entertaining everyone in the afternoons. Ruby gives private lessons in her home and as spring comes she has her windows open and you can here the kids playing. Much better then in the fall, I must say they have made improvements over the winter.

Have been noticing with the coming of daylight savings time there are more people out and about in the evening. More locals out taking walks in the evening and some of the weekend folks have been showing up. As you know we still have the rule against mowers and chain saws on the weekends so if someone needs to do work it needs to be done during the week. Friday the lumber yard and General store get a lot of traffic. Been quiet at the Masterbaiters shop and Vicki has been using the time to dust and clean and rearrange tackle and displays. Lucky for her Wolfgang Puck has already committed to supply her with all the bait she needs so there will no problem with that this season. Won't be to much longer and we will be hearing the peppers in the ponds and along the lake shore. That will be a real big sign that spring is here. Hawks are still riding the thermals over the lake and a few owls are moving in to. Dug has been selling bearing kits and has a few outboards showing up at the shop for tune ups.

Can't decide if I should go out in the kitchen here and make up some grilled cheese sandwiches or head down to the dinner for lunch. The Trolley open last week after being closed all winter for remodeling. Vic took the winter off and did some traveling and brought back some new items for the menu. I am thinking about going down there for the lunch special of fried tatters, onions, mushrooms and pork pan fried and served with apple pie and a big glass of milk. If I walk down and back maybe I can justify it. I know something smells good. That is one of the best things about spring. Everyone starts cooking up there house specials and the prevailing winds takes it all right down to the lake and to the Lodge. We open a window and we are assaulted with great smells. Makes our grill kind of puny. But our Coney's and chili smell great in the winter.

From the window here I can see that Mindy and Mandy are just going into the Trolley. Well that settles it fried tatters and the Mindy and Mandy to look at. I'm headed to the Trolly, better then watching Elmer eating popcorn and watching his soap on the Lodge's tv. From Lake Iwanttobethere (10924)

Easter is here but you can't tell by the weather. Looks nice and sunny out then you step outside to brisk cool winds off the lake. I spent a few minutes on the deck and then headed back into the comfort of the den and the sunshine coming in through the windows. Dogs all have places on the floor staked out and they are moving across the floor as the sun shifts. Have the Twins baseball game on and am doing some work on the Lodge and town flyer's. As we briefly touch on before we are looking at doing some advertising and I was just looking over some of the events that we have going on here and in the surrounding area.

Well we don't have a racetrack but we do have cow races at the McDoogles farm. Along with sheep shearing and egg plucking. Greased pig roundups are also a visitor favorite.

We don't have any hot springs or water spa's but when it gets hot in the summer we can turn the aerator on in the Been There Pond and it is kind of like a hot tub. If you don't mind picking the weeds off and the occasional snapping turtle.

We have two golf courses! A three hole and a 6 hole if you play them right you can get 18 in.

We have several berry farms and apple orchards. A lot of places where you can pick corn and weekly flea markets. At least two farm sales and the steam engine weekend. Several wildflower trails and of course the fishing at Lake Iwanttobethere is second to none.

A few bread and bed breakfast joints. Lots of resorts, dinners and camping spots. One fly in service. A casino, a couple of bars a doctor a dentist a vet. A video store a bakery, a butcher shop and a new post office. A general store a bait shop. Pizza shop featuring the pizza gun a sub shop a few convince stores and more then a few places where you can have a frosty beer and watch the sunset. A softball league, mini-donuts and a soft pretzel cart. Tractor races and ice house flings. Sporting clays and hay rides. Loons and geese, ducks and deer. Grouse hunting and skunk avoiding. Mindy and Mandy...

Guess when I start looking at things there is a lot going around here. How am I ever going to make a flyer telling people of all we have to offer? Maybe just the bumper sticker is a good idea. What ya need to do is just come on out to the lake and find out for yourself what we have to offer Then you add your memories to the lake. Your fishing adventures and camping trips. Your trips to the cabin or to Root Beer island. Lake Iwanttobethere syrup on your pancakes. Pulling your house off the ice after a winter of memories.. Fairs, corn roasts and rodeos. Dirt roads and bb guns. Playing cards on bicycles and dandelion wine. No five star hotels but if you sleep outdoors we have a million stars. No waiting, no stop lights, no starbucks no box stores no name tags no drive thrus. No mosquitoes well ok we have a few..... From Lake Iwanttobethere have a good Easter and Spring is coming a frozen robin told me so...(10965)

Headed to Lake IWTBT: Can't get there early enough, stay long enough, or leave late enough.

It seemed like a good idea at the time. I was a the Dew Drop Inn this morning having a little breakfast with the guys and we started to play a little of the "Seem like a good idea at the time" game. Most of the things remembered were from our youth but some of them happen during our adult life. I am pretty sure that you could add to the list or play the game with your friends on your next little get together.

Running across the new pond ice, seemed like a good idea at the time.

Putting the firecrackers that did not explode in your back pocket. seemed like a good idea at the time.

Using gasoline on the BBQ seemed like a good idea at the time.

Swinging across the gorge on clothesline seemed like a good idea at the time.

Filling the black garbage bag with acetylene and lighting it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Sitting on the roof of the chevy driving on the dirt road seemed like a good idea at the time.

Four guys on a motorcycle seemed like a good idea at the time.

Chopping ice off the roof with a fire ax seemed like a good idea at the time.

Jumping beaver dams in your dads boat seemed like a good idea at the time.

Holding on to the spark plug wire while checking for spark seemed like a good idea at the time.

Holding a sheet of plywood by hand on the roof of the Chevy seemed like a good idea at the time.

Testing a bark collar on your throat seem like a good idea at the time

I had things to do so I had to leave but everyone who sat down at the table had a few. As we get older we seem to remember those stupid things we did with a sense of pride. Maybe because we survived. As my boys get older in brief moments of weakness they tell me things that they have done in there youth. I just found out the other day that when they were young they would sit on my belt sander and with a length of extension cord and would have belt sander races on the driveway. I could never figure out why my sanders never seem to last very long. Elmer told me he knew all about them and had even placed wagers on some of them. Chuck just nodded his head that he to knew of the races. I think it is better that I just not know of these things. There of course things that I have never told my boys that Me and Chuck did. Some things are best kept a secret.

Well off to the town hall for tax time. Last week here and another snow storm is on it's way tomorrow. I am sure we will be busy and then it will be quiet when the snow starts up again. This is turning into a long winter. Guess cabin fever is not going to hit anytime soon. Not as long as I have to keep moving snow and cleaning dog feet. Enjoy the day, from Lake Iwanttobethere (10996)

Snow storm is missing us today but not the wind or the cold temperatures. Had to tug the cap down on the old noggin this morning when I went out to get the paper. Ground is frozen and leaves are whipping across the yard. I took a walk over to the green house and spent a few minutes inside. Out of the wind at least. Adding to my do list I need to get out in there and do some cleaning and rearranging. Going to be awhile before I even think of doing any potting. Going on day thirteen of below normal temperatures in a row. So much for an early spring, this is turning into a long winter. I am not holding out to much hope for a decent fishing opener. Have that feeling it will be cold and windy and maybe a little rain to complete the package.

Going to have to make a few trips to the wood pile and bring some more wood closer to the back door. Should be done burning by now but still have a fire going here to keep the chill out. I see Elmer has smoke coming out of his garage so he has a fire going also. Chuck is pretty much done cooking his sap down and another syrup season has come to an end. Smelt season is next and I am not looking forward to it if the weather stays this way. Been out to the river again this week and not a bite. Pretty slow goings but once again the cool weather is playing apart.

Got a few fishing catalog orders I am just about ready to send in. Waiting to see if any prices go down and if Vicki gets anything in new at the shop that I might want to buy. Been slow down there but the shop just like a opening day tackle box is clean and orderly. At least for now. Even the Lodge has been quiet, Twins losing to the Yankees two nights in a row has not helped any. Getting spanked and giving up so many runs in the first few innings make the rest of the game long. Last night it got so bad that some of the guys went down to the locker room and brought up there putters. A game of miniature golf in the lodge with beer mugs on there sides ensued. We have a policy of allowing only putters upstairs. Ever since Gerry was trying out his new graphite driver and took out a ceiling light while practicing his back swing.

The Lodge map wall has been getting some attention. We have a wall down the hall that is covered in lake maps from around the area. This time of the year there always seems to be someone, drink in hand looking at the maps for a new spot to fish. Almost every conversation starts with " I remember when" as guys look over the maps. Lake Iwanttobethere's map is a work in progress as guys keeping adding to it every fishing season. Several years ago we covered all the maps in plastic as they were getting all smudged and the lines worn off from guys rubbing and pointing their fingers on them. Now there are wax pencils for some to add GPS numbers. Others just put an x on the map and write there comments on the side. Of course fishermen are making these notations and some of them might not all be accurate except for yours and mine.

Big easy chair in front of the fire is looking kind of good, Think I'll go over and settle in for a nap. Going to be along summer and I should grab a few extra zzz's while I can. Not going to miss much of anything today. Maybe I can come up with a new fishing spot or two that I should try. From Lake Iwanttobethere... (11067)

Some sure signs that Spring is here and we finally have broken winters back. Temperatures to rise into the 50's here at the lake and with that the last of our snow should go today and tomorrow. With a few more days like that the snow on the north sides back in the woods will be gone also. Morning doves outside my window woke me up with that dang cooing of theirs. Long list of things to do today but even that has had changes made to it before I even start. Late last night put the dogs out for their last visit before turning in. Thirty seconds later all three are barking away and as I open the deck door I got the first real smell of Spring. Bud and Barny were waiting at the door to get in and out past the flood lights Pepper was barking up a storm. The smell of skunk heavy in the air. After some shouts Pepper appeared, a light whiff of skunk followed her into the cabin. Off to the crate she went. Didn't get sprayed but got some close enough to her that she smells a tad. Both Barney and Bud have been there and done that. They know better and if the dogs could have a smug look about then they both did as they walked by the crate and headed to the bedrooms. Shower and tomato juice for Pepper this morning.

Few telephones calls are starting to come in and I have to get together with Hammering Hank on a few jobs that we will work together. I am sure with no rain in the forecast and some decent temps that people will start getting outside and jobs will be thought up. I don't even want to look at my do list as I already know there is a lot on it. Oil changes for both trucks and have to take the chains off the tractor and the plow. Have to get in the shed and clean up seed and there are several trees that I need to do some cutting on before they bud up. Greenhouse needs cleaning and now I can bring the rest of the deck stuff out. Tarp off the puddle humper and need to do the bearings on all the trailers. That will be a all day job because Chuck and Elmer will both bring their boat trailers over. As long as we are getting dirty might as well do them all. Need to see Earl at the General Store. Have my list of needed items for him. Some light bulbs, potting soil and always looking for some more big pots. Need to get some seed tatters also. Have to write that down.

Kids will all be up for the weekend as it is grandson #1's birthday. Cabin will be filled with dogs, kids, grand kids and muddy feet. If I get lucky maybe I can get the front raked up. Better add another rake to my shopping list. BBQ ( need propane) will be out and we should have our first family cookout of the year. #1 Granddaughter will be on the dock looking for crappies as that is her job. Barney will of course be at her side. They will spend the day out there side by side looking into the water under the dock. Baby on her belly with her hands over her eyes and Barney sitting and patiently watching over her shoulder. From time to time she will put her finger to her lips and tell us to shush as we are scaring the fish. I'll pull up a deck chair and spend some time with her. Bud will follow me down and sit at my feet. He will be more interested in what is flying around and will have an eye out for the old goose. Pepper will just be Pepper, running around and barking, looking for free hot dogs that are not being watched. Boys will be in the garage looking over something and sneaking beers from the fridge. Elmer will come over and have some potato salad. Chuck will wander over with a beer in hand and the boys will gather in the driveway and talk about men things. Gals will talk with their mom about gal things. Yup Spring is here and summer will not be that far behind. From Lake Iwanttobethere (11150)

Silently Sunday and it looks like it is going to be a nice one. Cabin is empty as the kids all came up early and have already left this morning for home. Didn't get very much of the do list done but #1 granddaughter and I made two birdhouses and she painted them. Kind of look like Easter eggs but they now join the others houses here. The two grandsons at two and almost one are going to be a hand full. #2 can now walk and a whole new world that was out of his reach is now right in front of him. Bud has decided to be his personal escort and was at his side almost the entire time he was here. It took time but he was able to get around part of the yard and patio. Little trouble with some of the ruff spots and he would have to put it into 4x4 crawl before he could find a level spot to stand up. As most babies do he tends to check things out by putting it in his mouth. Bud was right there to help him with this sampling. If it was edible Bud ate it before the boy could. #1 grandson knows right where to go, as soon as Elmer shows up #1 is in his lap and has his own personal attendant They both disappeared for awhile and I found them in Elmers garage going through brightly colored jigs and plastics. Nothing wrong with that.

Sitting in my easy chair this morning I was reading my latest outdoor magazine, well I was looking through it anyway. Today's magazines don't seem to have a lot to offer the reader. Half the mag is advertising and they seem to be half the size they were just ten years ago. I know everyone has to make money but I sure do have a problem with some of the advertising. With the grand daughter in my lap we were going through one yesterday. We get to the back and it was nothing but "male enhancement ads. What happen to a fishing magazine having ads that actually had to do with fishing? The old mags you could spend as much if not more of your time looking over ads for fishing lodges and float plan trips. Places to try out there new can of worms or buy six packs of lures just for bass or northerns. The latest boats and outboards where you didn't even had to mix the gas and oil anymore. Pictures of reels that were life size so you could see what they really looked like. Products showing rebates and you never found the coupon because someone ahead of you had already cut it out so you knew it had to be a good deal. Ranger boats, boy were they sweet but who would ever pay 10,000 for a boat. Buy a Zebco crappie reel and get a free cassette of fishing tips from Homer Circle. Entire inserts for fishing Manitoba Canada. South Bend Rods, Bass Buster Lures, Crappie candy, St. Croix rods, DR. Juice! Blue fin boats.

So I sit back in the easy chair and I go through the latest mag but after twenty minutes or so I am done with it. I reach to the other side of the chair and there I have a new stack of old magazines that I just rotated in from the den. Twenty five or so of some classic fishing magazines waiting for me to reread stories and look over ads for places to go to. No sending away for a free video to see how this works. I actually get to read a story about it. I can have the granddaughter sit in my lap and look at pictures of reels and fishing rods. Show her pictures of fish caught at camp way up north. Can point to pictures of planes flying over waters teaming with fish, at least that is what the ad says. Not have to explain why there is an ad for Pagama Gram next to a wild pheasants ad. Or why there is an ad for killing lake weeds sandwich between a Viagra and athena pheromone ad. Guess the weeds need more sex appeal.

Times of course change and I am of course getting older everyday. I at least understand that to a point. Watching grand kids running around and everything that is old to you is so new to them. Don't run any more so now when I walk I keep my head up and take smaller steps. Seems like I missed a lot of things when I was running. Starting to see things that Elmer has been talking about for years. Now that my kids have kids they are starting to see things differently also. I notice that a few times this past weekend. Boys would do something and my daughter would look at me and we would just click. A mental " yup you did that to when you were young" I smile because I know it is going to get better, they have just started to walk. The best is yet to come! From silent Sunday on the shores of Lake Iwanttobethere (11215)

Ok it happen just a little while ago. I was outside just getting a few chores done and starting to work on the do list when it happen.... Cabin fever.... I just had the urge to go fishing really bad. I went to the puddle humper and pulled the cover back. Let the sunshine hit the deck and lifted the lids to let the air in. Going to be in the 60's today and that must have been the key. The warm breeze and taking off the jacket to work in the sunshine. Before I knew it I had a rod and reel out of the rack and on the deck. I pulled up a deck chair and started to strip line off the reel. The line coiled at my feet making a nice bird's nest. I clipped the end off and headed into the cabin to grab a paper bag that I had new line in. I had to sort through a few plastic bags to find the right one. I had some lures in one. Some wd-40 in another, boat oil in another and some replacement tips and some gulps in another. A new reel that I tucked back under the other bags. I was getting close when I found the spark plugs but that was not the right bag either. There I found the one with replacement line. Looking for some 10# I took it out to the deck and started to load the reel. Running it through the guides I had to put my glasses on to make the knot around the spool. With experience gain over the years I made quick work of respooling and a moment later I was on the dock with rod in hand a small white jig. Looking into the water I was just about to drop the jig into the water when I came to my senses.. 10# was to heavy for a crappie jig!

Back to the shed to pull out a ultra light rod and back to searching through bags for some 4# line. Going through the bags I once again came across the new reel and hid it even deeper under the other bags. Finding the line I returned to the deck and started the process all over again. Striping the old line off and replacing it with the new. In a few minutes I was back at the end of the dock this time with the right equipment. Just then the wife pulled up with two new rakes from down at the General Store. I leaned the rod up against the boat house and like a little kid walked up the path, work..... From a warm Lake Iwanttobethere (11254)

Hillside is all raked and clean, Elmer came over and pulled up a chair to watch. That is an on going thing with us here at the lake. When ever we see someone working we will pull out a chair and watch. I guess they do the same thing in the big city. People stand on street corners and watch as building are built and houses painted. Here we take it a step farther and just pull up a chair and make ourselves comfortable. No offense is taken as we all do it. Some new residents find it a tad bothersome to be working with an audience. But they get used to it and find out that it does have it's merits as you never miss a spot when painting as someone will point it out to you and if a better tool is needed for the job at hand one will be offered from the watchers. When raking this also gives you plenty of reasons to stop and rest on your rake as you make conversation with your watcher. The last of the leaves were dragged to the compost pile and I joined Elmer on a chair looking out over the hillside and frozen waters of Lake Iwanttobethere.

We pulled out a few cigars and soon we were lost in the moment. Me being happy that I was done raking and Elmer in the fact that he was done watching me raking. Elmer noted that I had a rod out, leaning against the shed. I told him how I was briefly overcome with the need to wet a line. Of course that open the door to talk fishing. Ice still on the lake but it is pulling out farther from shore everyday. We got some showers last night and that will help with the ice. Going to be awhile before ice out but we have time before opening weekend. We started to discuss plans for opener and on cue Chuck came over carrying his fold up camping chair. Putting his chair down and off to the side as to not get in our view of the lake he pulled out his flask. The flask made a quick trip between us and another cigar was produced for Chuck. Settling back into my chair this felt a lot better then pulling that rake.

Leaning back in the chair with sun on my face and a warm breeze at my back it reminded me of some early season northern fishing. Of course it does not take much of anything to remind me of fishing. I am accused of either fishing to much or thinking about fishing to much. I think they are worse things that you could be doing with your time. At this moment I was thinking about a day not to much different then today. I was alone fishing back in a bay a few bays away from the cabin here. It was for May a nice enough day. About 70 with a little breeze. I was back in the shallows working over an old stump field that I had found several years before. Good place to go looking for bass when the pads start to come in but an even better place for early northerns. On a cooler day I would just toss smelt on the bottom and sit back and wait. On that day I was tossing top waters that I had carved during the winter. Well not really carved as that takes to long. I made them with my belt sander. Anyway the fish were active and I was having fun throwing and getting whacked by northerns. Those pesky little 26 to 30 inch ones. I saw a few that looked like logs floating but I could not get them to make a run at my home made lure. My arm was getting tired from pitching and catching so I took a break and let the breeze blow me back farther into the bay.

Digging into the tackle box I came across a big 8" lure that I had made as a joke. I used it to clean my paint brush off on it when I was painting lures and it was just covered in swipes of paint. All colors of the pallet were smeared across it's surface. It even had 4 eyes as I think my daughter had done some customizing to it. Well I tied it on to my rod and I looked out on to the calm waters looking for a place to pitch it. Seeing a lonely stump I let loose with a perfect cast. The lure settle down just a few inches from the stump and the rings of it's landing ripped out to disappear in the clear water. Everyone who has fished top water knows that you look for, that little something out there to give you a clue when something is going to happen. You see that first little bow wave of a fish turning and heading your way. That little bubble in the water that gives away a fish. Off to the right I saw that first little difference in the water and I knew a fish had seen or heard the big ugly lure land. I gave the rod tip a little snap and the lure plopped in the water sending out a new set of rings in the water. The rings widening away from the lure stopped as they hit what I knew was a fish not ten feet away, watching. This is always the best time for me. Like playing with a cat with a yarn ball I twitched the lure again, I shook the rod tip and the lure quivered........

I leaned forward taking up slack line. Getting ready to set the hook. I knew if I kept teasing I would get the big fish to take a run at me. THERE I could see the tail come up out of the water and dip back in, I can see the shadow of the fish and it looks to be a really big northern. It is coming around like the nautilus lining up my lure. I lean forward even more, balanced in the boat ready to set.. When Fishing with Chuck he is always humming those faithful notes from the movie Jaws when he gets ready to set on a oncoming northern. Now in the back of my head I hear daw dum daw dum daw dum....A vee wave starts where I know the Northerns head is and it grows as the fish makes a rush across the calm water after my lure, I twitch again, not on purpose but because I am so excited. Daw Dum Daw Dum...In a second it is all over... The fish makes a rush I settle in for the hit and when I notice out of my eye a streak rocketing across the water from the left and slashing at my lure just a split second before the northern gets there. Another northern that I did not see went for the lure. The water explodes like a depth charge just detonated. Somewhere in there I set the hook and just managed to duck as the chunk of wood came flying back and just missed my ducking head. Water comes down around me. And waves ripple out from ground zero. I sit back in my chair and listen to my heart racing in my ear. The rings disappear and the water calms. I see the tell tale zig zag of the big northern heading out of the back waters.

Chuck pokes me in the ribs and I hear " Daydreaming again Bobby?" I nod and just take a pull on my cigar. From the waters of Lake Iwanttobethere (11320)

Just popping in to say thanks!

This forum has so much high profile contraversy it's just nice to be able to slip out of all that and drift off into one of Lake Iwantobethere back bays.

Thanks Bobby Bass! You keep on writing and I will keep on reading. grin.gif

Well thank you Dan for the kind words. Most of the time when I write here I have not a clue if anyone is reading what I am writing. Not that I am not used to it. After 29 years of marriage, with about 15 of them being pretty good I am used to selective hearing and reading. My wife's grandmother was a very happy old gal, always smiling away. Took me a while to figure out she had both of her hearing aids off most of the time to save the batteries. She told me she didn't think she missed much by having them off. Beside she could hear the birds better when she turn them on with good batteries. At the Lodge we have a pretty much standing rule in regards to politics, religion and mother in laws. We don't talk about them. Plenty of other things to talk about so that is why you never hear to many stories if any about theses subjects. There are plenty of places to talk about those topics and they deserved to be spoken about just not here at the lake. I will write about a few of our rules we have here at the lake. The no mowers and chain saws on the weekend rule is one that will always be enforced. The Lodge rule of believing any fishing or hunting story told with in it's walls as the gospel truth is another. As a matter of fact we have a sign over the end of the bar that states " More fish and birds have been caught and shot here then in the wild" lot of truth in that.

Sunny but cool and windy here. In the lower fifty's but with the wind off the lake and over the ice it has a chilling effect. Of course it could be me to. As I get older it takes me longer to get cold but takes a lot longer to warm up. Find myself like the dogs following the sun around the easy chairs of the Lodge. Tax time has come to an end and now I will be just spending a few hours a week in the Town Hall. We should be having a meeting coming up here soon with the openings of fishing season less then a month from now. Still ice on the lake but it will be gone in time for opener. Smelting might be a problem, need some warm rain to open things up and get the stream running.

Been extending my walks a little each day. Knee is coming along but I missed out on almost two months there and at my age hard to get back that time. Garages doors are open and a few boats have there covers off and are getting cleaned off and a little wax applied here and there. Even a few campers have found there way to the driveways. Just some more signs that it is getting warmer out and fishing and camping season will be here. Not a bad winter as winters go. Did seem to have some legs to it as it kept hanging on and did not go quietly. Some of the guys are throwing the softball around down in the park but I have been informed by the wife that my playing days are officially over now. I concur, time to sit in the stands and heckle. A few years ago I stopped bowling and for the first spring in a long time I didn't have a sore elbow fishing. Here I thought it was from fishing and it was just throwing that big old hook of mine. Guess one should have some priorities. Fishing has to be high on the list.

Well I really was not planning on writing anything today, just kind of saw your message Dan and before you know it I just start rambling on. Of course I do have the advantage of standing on the dock here with a cup of coffee and watching the ice melt on the lake and if the wind is right like it will be tonight. When the sun goes down I'll hear the freight train working it's way along the far side of the lake. The train whistle will carry across the lake and you will hear the clickly clack of the wheels on the rail. As the leaves fill the trees they block the sound of the track so you have to be here now to hear it. Just another reason to visit Lake Iwanttobethere...(11408)

Running errands today and took time to stop in the Diner and have myself a frosty root beer with Mindy and Mandy's label on it. I got myself back in the corner booth and leaned back in the leather and just sipped my root beer and gave my knee a little rest. Diner was not to busy as it was before the lunch hour rush but there were a few people sitting and enjoying the view of the lake and others came and went taking out their orders with them. I had my do list with me and I went over it as I sat in the booth. Could not help but over hearing conversations going on around me. Pretty much the typical Lake talk. Wondering if there was going to be smelt run and when was it going to start. Forecast of some heavy rain this weekend, mostly on Sunday and that should start things. Others talking about getting tractors running and how there feed made it through the winter. A few calf's born and the problem with them cats howling at night. Hate that time of the year when they are in heat. Grackles are making there way through the hillside and they are like vultures cleaning everything in there way. Nothing but empty bird feeders in there wake. Gray squirrels are out and about someone mentioned seeing a chipmunk. Groundhogs are being a problem, seems they made it through the winter and are out looking to expand there holdings.

Root beer was so good I ordered a second and here at the diner they give you a fresh frosted mug to go with it. Smells from the kitchen were making me hungry but I had a few more things to do before I could take my lunch break. Getting closer to lunch hour and the diner was filling up. The bell on the door was ringing away with each opening and the conversations were getting louder as people competed against the rising background noise. I got up and paid for my drinks and made some brief conversation. No sooner had I gotten to the door and my booth was occupied. Walking out the door I see a few out of state license plates and a couple of dip nets sticking out the rolled down windows of a car. I head over to the Lodge and a few trucks are in the lot. Entering I see Elmer sitting in front of the TV with a couple of conies and some fries. I make my way to the bar and see the coney sauce simmering away. Heck, close enough I make myself a couple of Coney's and grab a bag of chips and go sit next to Elmer. Elmer grunts at me and smears his fries in some catsup and continues to watch his soap and eat. Since we got satellite Elmer does lunch here at the Lodge and watches some soap. It is the only time of the day when he is quiet. I finish up and Elmer just nods at me. Ever since I put the coney sauce recipe out for people to read we have been selling more coneys. I don't know if people just have gotten a taste for them or if it is an excuse to come to the Lodge to get one or two or three.

Back to the truck and the do list, down to visit Vicki at the Masterbaiters and check to see if my order is in, not yet. I spend a few minutes listing to the bubbling minnow tanks and a little chit chat with a few out of towners. They are here for the weekend hoping to catch the smelt run. I get in my truck and head back towards town. I wave at Hammering Hank going the other way with a load of fire wood. All wrapped up in small mesh bags he must be stocking his vendors. Earl standing on the Steps of the General Store is busy giving directions, I can see his hands waving away pointing towards the access. I stop at Ma and Pa's grocery and I am greeted with the tell tale jingle of there bell on the door as I walk in. Pa already has my meat order cut and wrapped up and I share a joke and wave at Ma as I head out back to the truck.

Back at the cabin I unload the meat and check the answering machine. I am making supper on the BBQ tonight. The day is warming up and looking at the mid 60's by late afternoon. Wife is at work and I have to make up to her for my comments about 29 years of marriage. She was in one of her selective reading moods and happen to read that one. Supper last night was a burnt pork chop and a raw potato on a paper plate. When questioned she told me that I complain that my chops are not done and if you cook the potato to long you cook all the nutrients out of it. Paper plate, she didn't feel like doing dishes. The cottage cheese in my glass with skim milk on top was a real hint that she was not happy with me. Good thing I like cottage cheese! Well outside to fire up the power washer and clean the decks off and maybe even the dock. Puddle Humper is sitting in the boat house with her cover off. She like me made it through another winter. I may even have time to go sit in the green house and have a cigar. Lot of planning needs to be done and it should be nice and warm in there. Sunny and calm and the temperature is rising, from Lake Iwanttobethere (11446)

hehehe with 11,400+ visits to this excact forum i am thinking that this forum gets read. i have said it before, i usually stop here first. dont want to miss a thing from the lake.

i am sure most of you have seen that the cover is off of the catamaran, and the fishhouse has found its summer spot. the power and satelitte have been reconnected to it. and i am looking forward,( believe it or not), to this summer. i have made the repairs to the cat. and will finish the hull polishing project within two weeks. then it will be sailing time. as much as i hate those hot summer days. i find it is much more bearable if i am on the water in a good wind.

it is nice to see that retirement is treating you so well bobby. and it does also seem that what i have heard about retirement is kinda true. my dad always said the only reason he was not ready for it, was most of his friends that were retired, are busier now then before. but the nice thing is that now he does not have to plan on time off to go fishing. if the urge hits him he is off to the lake.

now for me, although i do kinda look forward to it. it seems an unreachable goal, as i have just turned 47.it is a ways off in the future. so for now the word retire means. when i have new g**dyears put on the gmc. hehehhe

it is nice to know that the lake is there for me. and as i write the schedule for the shop. i can plan my fishing days a month ahead. keep up the good work bobby and next time you have a lodge meeting, i will buy the last round. just put it on my tab and i will catch it next time i am in. see you on the water. ... paul

You know fishermen and hunters are greedy! Sitting on the deck I had this thought pass through my greedy little brain. Now I know you may think this is a little rude on my part but I want you to consider this before passing judgment. Say you go out fishing, which we all will be in just a few short weeks. You start off with "I would just like to get the boat wet "maybe wet a line. Then it is "I would just like to get a bite and I would be happy "Then you get a bite and it is "I would just like to feel a tug on my line" after the bobber goes down and the fish makes a run you say "All I want to do is see it" then when you see it the next line is " I just want to touch it so I can say I had one on." Then when you land it you say "All I want is a keeper" after the keeper you want to catch a limit or move on to another kind of fish, Now that I got my walleye I want a northern or a bass and as long as they are bigger then the ones you caught I will be happy. Of course the next thing is to catch more species then you. We all say just "one more cast" why? So we can have a chance to catch one more fish... Nothing wrong with that. So are you greedy?

A light rain falling here at the lake and I can see the dimples the rain drops make on the open water here in front of the cabin in my bay. A welcome sight for me as it is another sign Spring is really here and winter is behind us. Last night I heard peepers in the swamp and in the next coming weeks there song will drown out everything else in the evening. Sunset was after eight last night. Sitting on the deck with a sunset, peepers singing and a baseball game on the radio. It does get better but not much. A mallard drake and his girlfriend were swimming off the dock this morning. Bud alertly up on the deck sat and watched. With the morning rain things are starting to smell better. Getting the woods smell back. The wet cedars and the smell of pine is much better then any store bought fragrance. Had the BBQ fired up to heat up some of the left over steak from supper last night to have for breakfast this morning. A few drops of rain fell on the hood of the BBQ and the instant sizzle was another welcome sound. Looking forward to a good rainstorm. Some lightning and rolling thunder will confirm Spring is here and summer will be close behind.

And old friend will be flying in the middle of the week to spend some time here at the lake. A little vacation for him and an excuse for me not to do anything. He has a niece getting married so he will be spending some time out here at the cabin and we will of course be spending time around the fire grate. I will tell stories that he has forgotten and he will tell me stories that I have forgotten. The wife will come and listen to some and laff at most. My kids will come and visit and we will take them places telling stories that happen before they were born and some stories will even be about them. Some they will understand and some will go right over there heads. Some old music will be on the cd player and we will spend some time together just sitting and looking into the fire not talking at all. I am sure we will just say a name out loud and we will just nod and a story will be brought up or just a knowing nod passed between us. Old Girl friends will be spoken of and football games. Of course fishing stories will be told and the weights may be embellished but we will both remember them being that. We will greet each other with a hand shake and leave each other the same way. Till the next time. Takes us about two minutes to start finishing each others sentences. My wife will roll her eyes and just leave us alone. Will talk about being greedy fishermen and greedy friends. Just one more cast..Just one more story... From Lake Iwanttobethere (11498)

Well I am committed, my bass thermometer says 71 out so the rest of the deck furniture is going out. Robins working the cleaned out front slope and the grass is turning green. Grackles have already raided the bird feeders today and I saw four eagles soaring overhead this morning. Air is heavy and it is going to rain sometime soon I feel. Calm out and not a ripple on the water in front of the dock. Barney has already taken up position and is intently watching the shallows. Bud just ran the goose off over at Elmers and is returning with a dog bone for his efforts. Pepper is in the cabin sleeping on the floor. She cleaned up the wife's breakfast plate when she turn her back so now she is sleeping the bacon and eggs off. I just got through reading the paper and nothing on sale anywhere that I can use so it's on to the do list.

Went down to the Lodge, forgot my wallet down there and while I was down there some female reporter was there chatting with the guys. She writes for some newspaper and was looking for information on a web site that a lot of the guys here are on. I know some of the guys gave her a few minutes but the Twins were on the TV and attention was mostly on that. She headed my way but I just nodded at her and smiled. It being silent Sunday and all. The last I saw of her Elmer who had just came in had her by the hand and was taking her over to the wicker couch in front of the TV Something about he would answer questions between innings.

Made it back in time to catch the last few innings of the game. While I was gone the wife had been in the shed cleaning up. I went through the garbage can and remove almost all of the good stuff that she had thrown away. Grabbing a shovel I made a couple of holes in one of the flower beds and she quickly took the shovel away from me and started working in the flower bed. Now that I had her distracted I returned to my shed and put my good stuff back where it belongs. Looking at my do list I checked off a few things and added a few more. Got the trailer moved up to the driveway and the dozer blade off. Parked the tractor under the lean to and I can forget about that for awhile. Added a quart of oil to the truck and that killed an hour as Chuck came over and tried to get me to talk. We had a conversation in sign language using very few fingers. I was able to convey that I would have a beer and a braut since he was cooking. Wife was yelling for me but since it is silent Sunday I could not give a response since it was not an emergency.

Was just about ready to go back and look at the do list when the first rain drop fell. Had just enough time to get back to the deck and under the overhang when it started to rain good. With some good planning I had a cigar and matches at hand so I lit up and sat back in the swing to enjoy the falling rain. Bud jumped up to sit next to me and I enjoyed his company and the first real rain that we have had for awhile. Blowing smoke rings the wife just gave me a look from inside the cabin as she went around closing windows that I had open up. Only heard the rumble of thunder once and with it Barney came running up from the dock. He was still standing on the dock in the rain but with the sound of thunder he called it quits. He noses his way inside the cabin and shakes. I can hear the wife yelling at him as she goes for a towel. Standing in the doorway she shakes her hand at me and I pretend I can't hear her over the rain falling on the deck.

Rain stops after awhile and my cigar is almost done. Bud is sleeping next to me. Now all you hear is that steady drip coming off the roof. The cushion is wet next to me but I didn't even notice. A few robins come in for a landing in the yard and go to work looking for supper. Got a nice soaking and I am glad I moved the trailer when I did. I am surprise to see it is only a little after five as I look through the window at the wall clock. The wife comes out and tells me she is off to buy some Ice Cream that I supposedly forgot to get. She leaves and I am left to relax in my swing. Bud leaves me to go with her, traitor. After a few minutes I head into the cabin and digging through my bags I find the new reel that I bought. Taking it out of the box I spin the handle a few times and listen to the click of the drag. I put the reel back in the box and then back in the bag and then back in it's hiding place. I stir the fire with the poker and throw a log on. Not really cold but to wet to have a fire going out in the fire pit. I sit in my easy chair and check the clock, time for a quick snooze before the wife comes home. Do list can wait till tomorrow, from Lake Iwanttobethere.. (11532)

Pulling a shift here at the Lodge, kind of busy for a change. I can hear the sound of Hammering Hank and Skinny working on putting the smelt fry tent up down in the park. This weekends rain has started the run. On my drive into the Lodge this morning I saw Frank was grading a few washouts along side the lake. And I passed Mark the mailman with the postal boat on the trailer. He was taking it to Dug's to have it serviced. I would imagine it won't be to much longer and we will be going down to the dock to get mail. I drove by Nytelyter's place and I see he has that funny looking sailboat of his out. Looks like he was doing some work on it this weekend. Of course as we get deeper into Spring here the buds will be on the trees and it will be harder to see back from the road at the cabins. Who knows what Nytelyter is doing back there. I was so busy looking that I had to swerve to miss Dan Thiem on the road. That dog of his is really getting big. Gracie, I think her name is, she was in the passenger seat.

I also saw Da Chise and Duckslayer outside of Marv's Diner I don't know if they were coming or going, I waved but I don't think they saw me. I just got to the Lodge when Mindy and Mandy showed up with an order of root beer for us. They are already dressed in there summer delivery clothes. Blue Jean bibs with bright halter tops underneath. I was somewhat distracted by them as they unloaded the root beer. They just got the root beer in the cooler when Hank and Skinny showed up. Funny how them girls attract a crowd. Chip guy was right behind Hank and everyone headed for the windows when Mindy and Mandy went back out to their truck. Hank and Skinny went back to working on the tent and the chip guy left the lodge's order. I just finished filling the racks behind the bar when the candy guy shows up with his delivery. Been that way all morning, as soon as I get one order up someone else shows up. Barely had time to put the chili on the burner.

Going to pull a few shift here in the begging of the week so I can hang with my friend when he gets in town late Wednesday night. With some luck we may go do some smelting that night. I am sure we will find a place to hang our hat that night as the smelt tent will be up and of course Mindy and Mandy will be selling root beer and the mini-donut trailer will be there. Hank has the self service firewood display full already. If we get a good run and if it makes it to the weekend then some of the eating establishments will stay open late for the out of towners. Phone...just a minute.....

Del just called and is firing off an order of Pizza's this way. Elmer order a head of time and there is clear water and no ice between here and the shop. Some of you may be new here and might not know of Del's Pizza and Sub shop, home of the Pizza cannon. By placing pizza's inside two duck taped hubcaps he is able to use a European trap thrower, modified. To shoot his delivery across the waters of Lake Iwanttobethere. I see looking out the window here that Skinny is on the dock with two garbage can lids, looks like he is going to try and catch the incoming delivery. Hope Del takes a little something off when he fires.

Well my shift is done here, Have long list of things to do here this afternoon still. Need to go to the smoke shop and pick up a few for smelting and borrow my dip nets back. Batteries for the flashlight and check on an extra pair of waders. Can't remember who I borrowed them out to. Maybe Hank? I'll have to go down there and ask him. The county street cleaner just came and turn around in our parking lot, I wonder who called them? Talk about good timing, we will get the streets cleaned this afternoon. Maybe I better head over to Earls and get the fire truck out, perhaps we can hose things down before the sweeper makes it there. From Lake Iwanttobethere have a good one. (11555)

Yep that was me and Grace! We were wondering if we could get her some dock fishing lessons from Bud. Or was it Barney? 75 pounds and not yet 6 months old.

sooocuteav7.jpg

Good to hear the pizza cannon is back . By using them hub caps they really can skip across the water on a calm night. Maybe we can get some lighted models for the late night delivery?

Hey, what ever happened to the flamingos? Last I heard Paul was keeping an eye on them.

Ahh what a nice day, cool but sunny and no breeze. Say Dan I think we will have to wait till Grace gets full grown and then we will have to see if we have to reinforce the dock to have both Barny and her on there at the same time. I am pretty sure that Barney can show her some of the fine points of dock pointing. I did have a chance to look up the pink flamingoes and they are still at Nytelyters. There paid for till May then we will try and find a new home for them, unless we can't, then they would stay Nytelyters wing so to speak.

Spent most of the day so far driving around my buddy from the coast. He is only in town for a few days so we are trying to go down memory lane here. Started off at the Dew Drop Inn for some breakfast then ran into Mark delivering mail. Elmer and Chuck were on there way to the Lodge and we followed them over. Hammering Hank stopped us in the parking lot and before you know it most of the morning was already gone and it was time for lunch. Over to Amy's for a couple of loose meat sandwiches and I think Amy took a shine to my friend. I was on my second cider and they were still chatting away. The lunch hour rush came in and we were on our way to the Masterbaiters. A few dollars spent there on tackle they don't have out east and we checked off a few things on our to do list. Back to the Lodge to have a root beer and see if we could find out where Mindy and Mandy are at today. A few more Lodge guys came in and my buddy was surrounded answering questions about what he has been up to.

Standing on the Lodge deck I can look down at the parking lot and the park. Smoke drifting up and the smell of deep frying smelt. Had a small run last night and a few people have tents set up in the camper area. Tomorrow being Friday I expect the area will be filled and we will be busy. Not me, I will not be working and will be on the other side of the bar this weekend. I did locate my extra waders and my friend and I will be dipping a net and sampling the deep fry. Going to try and get out on Sunday and do some crappie fishing, going to be a warm weekend with temps in the hi 60's... Did I mention ice is out here at Lake Iwanttobethere? Open water as far as the eye can see. Lot more ducks and some more geese have been coming in to join the locals. The other night I had to stop on the way back to the cabin to let a bear cross in front of me and a few deer have been spotted checking out last years garden. Like they have not checked every night for the last 5 months.

Well going to grab my friend and head home, wife is cooking up supper for us. Almost feels like we have been on one of them cruse ship vacations. Our whole day is just rotating around meals, Either going to or coming back from one. Hope everyone has a good weekend from Lake Iwanttobethere..(11689)

While driving around the lake and showing off the changes made over the last several years I got to notice a few things myself. We always called it going to the lake but now that the town is growing and more people are moving out here to live and with summer getting closer the town swells. As the town swells so does some of it needs. Like the now working one and only street light. A few more business have open and we have the new Post Office. Even the Lodge is now open to the public and we even kept the heat on this past winter. The Town Hall is no longer large enough to hold meetings so they have been held at the Lodge. The addition of our two parking meters and a pay phone. I even used the phone the other day. I ordered a pizza and then called home with my second call since it is 2 fer a dollar.

Ice is off the lake and no snow anywhere that I could see. Shoreline around Been There Pond is still brown but you can see a little green. Peepers are getting more vocal every night. Hawks are still soaring overhead and the pigeons seem to be sitting and doing less flying with the hawks around. Some of the poplar trees are budding already and I see some of the bulbs in the flower beds are growing. Golf course is really greening up after last weekend rain and with the temps to be in the hi 60's this weekend I am sure there will be a few golfers out. The course is not allowing riding carts yet as the ground is soft. I know the three hole is open and the 6 hole should be open Saturday. Some water in the small ponds and that is good, was really getting worried that we would start off really down. Public access is low but not as bad as it was last fall. Smelt have been running in the evening but you have to work to fill your bucket. That might change this weekend. A few trailers at the parking lot as the crappie fishermen are getting out on the water. A good place to go has been right off Root Beer island. I have caught a few right off my dock in the small bay that I live on. Nothing to brag about but the tug on the line sure felt good.

Vicki at the Masterbaiters shop has been reporting that fishing has been slow but getting better. No problem getting bait and she will have full tanks in time for opener. After the street cleaner came through that just got everyone out washing windows and doing what touch up painting that needed to be done. Earl at the general store has all the shovels back in the rear and his cart with bug repellent and fly swaters is back out front of the store. Has a couple of racks with some flowers on it to. The feed mill just outside of town on the way to the golf course has had a steady stream of pickups going in and out. Lot of farms in the area and they are busy this time of the year. I don't really notice them as the only time I see them guys is when they come in to ice fish on the lake. And of course when we have the summer corn roasts. Guess we take for granted all that fresh produce that they have at Ma and Pa's grocery store. When they are in town it is usually at the back door of the General store. Picking up orders and sipping on Mindy's and Mandy's root beer. As far as I know only the Dew Drop Inn and the Diner are going to stay open late this weekend for the smelters.

Hammering Hank was hauling some more wood down to the smelt tent, been cool at night which is good for his sales. Guys from the Lodge have been manning the tent and are putting out a good meal of smelt, coleslaw and biscuits. This year they will be doing pancakes in the morning and featuring Chucks Lake Iwanttobethere Maple Syrup. Along with the hot soft pretzels and the mini donuts one should be able to find something to eat. Of course the Lodge will be open and we always have the chili pot on and conies.

My out of town buddy is dealing with family today and then tomorrow he will have the weddings. He is all mine on Sunday and if the weather cooperates we will get some crappie fishing in and maybe hit the stream for a little while. Mostly I think we will just share some time in the boat and trade stories. He will try and convince me to go back east with him and go to work for him and I'll let the lake convince him that he should be spending more time here. First thing I did when I saw him was get him out of those cowboy boots and hat and put on some sneakers with a beat up old John Deere cap. I tried to get him to put some bibs on but I didn't have any small enough for him.. At least when I took him around town he didn't look like a tourist. He left today in a three piece suit, way over dressed for these parts.

Well off to make sure the row bow floats and I have a couple of rods ready for Sunday. Have a good day, all is good at Lake Iwanttobethere

(11742)

Being tease here, 81 degrees here in the shade of the cabin. Great weather to go crappie fishing in but so far we have not left the dock. Just sitting on the dock and every few minutes a few crappies will move along the shore line on there way in to the bay and the bobbers go down. Might not even take the wood rowboat out. Already have enough for lunch. The teasing part is I know this weather is not going to hang on. Elmer is down at the dock using my pole and chatting with my friend. I came up to the cabin to check e-mail and grab a few more cool ones for the cooler. Am just making a note to myself here to find the snowmobile suit, I am betting that when opener comes in two weeks it will be snowing. Just to nice out now and experience tells me mother nature is just playing with us and she will get back at us. But then again if it is a great weekend I can simply destroy my note and take credit for the good weather.

I got all the rest of the deck furniture out and made another discovery. Not only had the rat been busy eating my stored grass seed but had used the stacked swings to make his way to the ceiling of the shed where he shredded the insulation in the corner. After pulling the swings out I was greeted with a small mountain of dropping coming down from the ceiling. The shed is empty now and I will have to add it to my list of things to repair. I am sure the rat is long gone but next year I will have a few surprises if he or any of his relatives decide to return. So one problem gone and another goes running across the back yard. Just putting wood in the fire pit last night when the quiet is interrupted when a groundhog the size of a basketball goes rolling across the back yard. Pepper in hot pursuit. Bud was soon on the trail and they gathered at Elmers storage barn. Pepper was already digging away and Bud was on the other side in a blocking action. Elmer came out to check on the commotion. A rabbit came out from the back side of the barn and the chase was on again, this time off towards Chucks garden. Elmer inspected the diggings and I told him it looked like a fat female. Elmer got that look in his eye and headed to his garden. I think there might be a few stories in the next few weeks here. And Barney? He never left the dock, he was busy watching crappies.

I actually did get some work done yesterday afternoon, oil change on the pickup and also the snow blower and tractor. I have the mowers and tiller on my list, maybe tomorrow. Well back to some fishing here. To nice to be indoors and I hope everyone else is outside enjoying the weather. BBQ'ing or fishing or even some yard work. Two more weeks and I will be in pursuit of MR BIG, from Lake Iwanttobethere have a good one. (11806)

Quote:

I also saw Da Chise and Duckslayer outside of Marv's Diner I don't know if they were coming or going, I waved but I don't think they saw me.

Dang, sorry to have missed ya Bobby! If I was looking pale and gaunt then was probably heading into the diner. If I was loking like a little (big) stuffed pork chop then I was coming out. Mighty fine food at that diner! Will have to put the Lil Mrs on the back of that new motor cycle and bring her along the next time. Down here in Hooterville seems that we are skipping the 4 way stop and going directly to the stoplight! I wonder if it will flash after 10PM... Not many folks going through at night, only in the mornin and evenin as they go back and forth to work. Been a time for two I have had to wait for near on to 10 cars before I was able to cross the main! Well.. you all take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo