• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishin report for Lake Iwanttobethere..

Bobby Bass

Today was our first kids day here at the Lodge for the year. We had a busload of kids come up from the city and we had them in the main Lodge room. Elmer gave them some basic instructions on how to use a ice rod and then we all went down to the Masterbaiters bait shop and they were given a lesson in bait from Vicki. After picking up some minnows and some grubs we loaded them up on sleds and Hammering Hank dragged them out to the end of town where we had some luck yesterday catching crappies. Some yelling and screaming a few fish caught, a touch football game and two coolers of sandwiches from Amy's and I think we found ourselves a few new fishermen.

Back to the Lodge and those who wanted to learn were taught how to clean fish and we added some that we caught last night and we had ourselves a fish fry. The youngsters just got back on the bus and us old folk are scattered about the Lodge ready for a nap. But there are a lot of smiles on a lot of faces. Elmer of course is bragging about how his kids with his teaching were the first to land a fish and Hank was bragging about how the young Smith lad had no problem driving the sled. We sat on the old benches in the main Lodge room, and from time to time we would sip on our cider and look out at the ice of Lake Iwanttobethere. "No Kids" I said out loud. "Yup, There all gone" said Elmer. "No, there are no kids on the ice" I said. We all stood up and looked out over the deck and out onto the ice of Lake Ianttobetthere. After a moment Elmer said" You are right, there are no kids on the ice"

After we had taken the bus load of kids off the ice there were no local kids on the ice. Other then some of the local residents fishing from five gallons pails outside of there shanties there were no kids to be seen. It started a discussion between us lodge members, well not really started it as it is an ongoing discussion about membership and the lack of new young members to the Lodge. Just not getting young people to join, Hardly ever see any kids out fishing anymore and if they are not riding 4 wheelers no one is in the woods. Of course we are all aware of the problem, that is one of the reason why we have days like today here at the Lodge. We try and do it several times during the winter. Bring kids in and let them experience some time out on the water of Lake Iwanttobethere. We all agree that we should do more. Hard for kids to get outdoors with out some encouragement from adults. Even harder to get some adults out. With work and homes to take care of but we all had that to. Everyone needs a little push from someone to do something. "There's one" Elmer says.. We follow his pointing finger and in the distant we can see a teenager hauling a sled behind him. We all stand and watch at the window as the lone figure walks across the ice. From the landing we hear car doors slam and soon there are a few more kids running on the ice towards our single fishermen. I take a peek through the spotting scope and say " Jefferson boys" Elmer says " Yup I taught them to jig" "To bad you didn't teach him how to catch fish!" Says Hank and the trash talking starts. But with some pride as we stand and watch the kids cutting holes.

We sit back down and sip our cider. We have the TV on and we are watching some of the pre game shows before the playoff football game. From time to time I glance up and watch the kids fishing, I notice the other guys are doing the same thing. I see Hank is on the phone and he comes back over and says he is going to be gone for awhile. " Where ya going" I ask? Going to go over to Millers and pick up the young one, asked him if he wanted to go fishing. " Good Idea" says Elmer. I'll meet you at the shack. In a moment there is a shuffle of boots on the floor and the phone is in constant use. The door to the Lodge starts slamming and people head out to the ice. Cars start dropping off kids in the parking lot and parents and Grand parents start heading out to the shacks being led by kids yelling and laughing. I see Dug come chugging up on his old Ski-do I go out to the deck. "What's up" he asks. " We going fishing son" he slides up on the well worn seat and pats the open space behind him. " Just a sec" I say.. I go back in the Lodge and pop a tape into the VCR.... Grabbing my hat I exit the Lodge and hop on as only a 53 year old grand pa can on the back of the sled. Holding on for dear life as we roar down the hill and hit the ice. Don't really need a reason to take a kid fishing. From Lake Iwanttobethere (8297)

Almost time for our semiannual Lodge membership drive. That time of the year when we try to gain a few members and look for new things for the Lodge to get involved with. We did add a few member this last year as we added a few new residents to Lake Iwanttobethere. I know from the readership that we have others who have visited us here but have not said anything or just want to come to town to buy some of Mindy and Mandy's root beer, enjoy the sights and then leave. Like all Lodges we do require some of your time along with a donation to support the Lodge. In return the Lodge can provide you with what we hope is an interesting place to hang your hat and share your stories.

The Lodge has several meeting rooms that are open to members along with a kitchen. These can be used for large family gatherings, birthdays and we have even had a wedding or two here. We also should point out that all members can rent a locker in the basement. These are old high school lockers that we recovered from a town down the road. They are the rarer large ones that are big enough to store gold clubs, fishing rods and shotguns for proper aging before bring home. We also have Internet access and dish TV the furniture may be old but it is big and comfortable and gets cleaned every spring. A crackling wood fire is a common thing here and smoking is allowed and cigars and pipes are encouraged. We have a bar and Hamms on tap. You can always bring your own bottle if you don't like what the Lodge has. Coffee pot is always on as is hot cider in the winter and Mandy and Mindy's root beer most of the summer.

Dogs are allowed so after a hunt you don't have to leave them in the crate in the back of your truck. We have a dock to tie up to during the summer and we have sporting clays and trap to sharpen your eye. If you want to work some of your dues off you can grab an apron and work the bar or try your hand at cooking and working the grill. The large wrap around deck lets you sit back and enjoy the view of Lake Iwanttobethere. A great place to network with new and old friends. Or just sit back and exchange stories about the lake and your experiences.

But between you and me we are more old fashion then new. The TV usually sits dark in the corner and the computer is checked from time to time for e-mail. Cell phone reception is terrible and most of the beer is home brewed. Some of the cigars are wicked and trash talk can be brutal but well mannered. There is no such thing as a stupid question regarding the outdoors and some one will more likely take you down to the dock and show you how to cast then try and talk you through it. There might be better places to spend your time but I would be hard pressed to name them.

So if you are a first timer reading about Lake Iwanttobethere or if you are one of those ones who just stops by for the pickled eggs. Say Hello, lets us know you were here. If ya have a story lets hear it, Got a question ask it. Lots of guys here with lots of answers. Can you imagine the years of experience just sitting here waiting to share? So from Lake Iwanttobethere, throw a log on the fire, pull up a chair and let's here from ya.. (8330)

I want to sit on the wrap around deck with one of those Hamms on tap in my hand a nice cigar in my other

Welcome to the deck BigWade, I think we got them big cruise ship commercials beat. On any given sunny day here at the Lodge there are guys kicked back in our old wooden deck chairs, feet up and cigars lit. Got to say something about being able to have a cold beer at your side and not worrying about it getting warm. All you need is a lite breeze to keep the air moving and sometimes you might catch a whiff of a cigar that you might like to try. We do recommend that you smoke with at least one glove off as I do remember when Jack Martin caught his mitten on fire and did not know it till Elmer threw his beer on him. From Lake Iwanttobethere, were making ice this week! (8376)

30 degrees here under a cloudy sky. Hammering Hank has been running the plow truck all day pushing snow towards town. A lot of the houses are lacking enough snow to bank there houses in proper like so the Lodge is donating some hours to help bring snow out to the houses. Weather reports are calling for some serious below zero temps here so I am sure the town will be rocking this weekend. Have already heard from Vicki at the bait shop that her calls regarding ice conditions have been on the increase the past few days. Lodge is happy as yesterday we went out and marked off our ice mining area. Every winter we harvest ice for the winter carnival. Ice sculpture blocks and of course blocks to restock the ice shed. That ice is used during the 4th of July events. The area is blocked off and no ice shanties are allowed in that area. We want to keep the ice as pure and as clean as we can. Nothing makes people think twice then working a ice block then to have a soda can or worse yet a yellow ribbon of ice appear.

Has been an unusual winter again here. We have decent ice and some snow cover but everyone wants more of each. Fishing has been fair to good, But here at Lake Iwanttobethere you always remember the good times. With the lack of snow on the ice the curling rink and the outdoor bowling alley have had a few problems containing there rocks and balls. Does slow the games down some. Some of the guys have been racing away with there four wheelers and sleds on the east end of town. With little snow it looks more a drifting race track. Hardly any straightway just four corners. More of a big circle then an oval. The orange barrels from the county have found a home down there outlining the track.

Did go out and do some hare hunting the other day, did not seem fair at all for the hare as they are bouncing around all in white and there is no snow cover for them to hide out in. Did bag a few and had a nice stew. Elmer does a nice job with them. He pulled up some carrots that he has in his garden under a couple of bales of hay. With the real weather coming I think he said something about pulling everything now. He can't remember when he left them in the ground this long. Time for me to start working again on my do list. All the guns need a good cleaning, and the cabinet should get cleaned to. Time for the tackle boxes to get looked at to, Each day Mark seems to be bring me a new tackle catalog or a seed catalog. Of course plenty of junk mail in there as well. That just finds it's way right to the fireplace. Well time to go out and haul some more wood for the stove to the back deck, Think the fireplace and stove will be burning brightly the next week or so. The cold will be nice for making ice but I hope it does not last to long. Getting pretty spoiled here having to just put a jacket on when I sit on the deck to smoke my evening cigar. From Lake Iwanttobethere (8428)

The Lodge was in use last night as the ladies held their Disco fundraising dance. Over the past several years the ladies have held the dance as a fund raiser and to have a reason to still wear their outfits from the 70's For the guys it just gives us a night in the winter where we can wear our golf clothes. No matter how much everyone complains about it there is usually a very good turn out. The ladies try to hold it on the first real cold weekend and that has not happen till now. Looking up at the Lodge from the ice town it was a sight. Just enough snow to reflect the light from the rotating ball in the main room shining out the windows. The guys out on the deck smoking cigars made there own smoke show or we should say disco fog. I was at the shanty but was told in no uncertain terms to get up to the Lodge. I actually like Disco, I don't let on to the guys but I can actually dance to it. Well what I call dancing seems to pass for Disco. Does not go over so well at weddings unless it is pretty late in the dance and everyone is having a balance problem. Don't know what it is about Disco but the younger ladies sure do show up. If guys were smart they would to. Anyway it was a good time and the cover charge will help support events around town.

It has been cold out but not as bad as the weatherman was saying. We are making ice and when you sit in the shanty you get that welcome sound of the ice talking. Nothing like laying in your bunk watching the hole and listening to ice groaning and cracking away. Spending the night in the shanty is just one of them outdoor experiences that everyone who has done it can share it by just mentioning it to someone else. The old shanties were the best for that, your feet freezing at ice level, your hands comfortable at waist level and your head sweating. The whooshing sound of the Coleman lantern. The crackling of the small pieces of wood burning in the wood stove. Maybe the sound of a radio in the background. Wind tossing snow against the sides of the house. The small curtain moving in the draft from the window. Maybe even the smell of a pot of beans n franks simmering on top of the stove. The clank of the metal skimmer as it hits the floor after cleaning out a hole. In the distance an auger starting up and then just as abrupt the silence as it is turned back off. A distant laff if the wind is just right. The crunching sound tires make as a truck drives by on the ice. But mostly the silence and the watching of the hole. Watching the bobber make a little ring, then another. The scrape of a boot as attention is given to the hole. A soft voice saying " we got some action" the quiver of the bobber then the slow descent as it goes under.

So you do know what I am talking about. You have been there. Maybe even yesterday you had that bobber go down on ya. There are just things that all you have to do is mention them and the memories start coming back to you. Makes you lean back in your chair and close your eyes. Shut out the sound of the florescent lights humming above you and the sound of phones ringing. Instead you can hear the sound of a loon, the buzz of a skeeter. A splash and the tell tale signs of rings on the water just ahead of you. Wood smoke, Honkers flying overhead. A red squirrel letting everyone know you are here. A chipmunk running from your tent, the sound of a zipper. That quiet "morning" from your partner. Crackling fire and the smoke that follows you around the fire pit. The taste of the best peanut butter and jelly sandwich you ever had. From somewhere on the frozen waters of Lake Iwanttobethere. (8492)

Just back from a visit to one of my friends uncles. We spent a few days at uncles Gus's and aunt Enidna's a couple who have spent over 70 years together and still talk! I say that because they seem to be one person. They finish each other sentences and sometimes they don't even do that. They will start to say something then just drift off. They know what they are going to say and just stop talking, leaves the rest of us just kind of hanging. Well anyway they are a few lakes away from Lake Iwanttobethere, used to be a few days by dogsled then just a half a day by snowmobile and now just an hour or so by car. When we were young we would go to their cabin then paddle back down to Lake Iwanttobethere, it would take us a few days and we were never much in a hurry when we did it. I hate them plan trips where you have to be here by such and such a time and then here by such an such time. That is no way to really enjoy the outdoors. You should just get out and when you have had enough you come back in. You might run out of food or the weather might turn bad on ya, that is what makes you head back in. Not cuz you have to go back to work or mow the lawn.

As I get older I wish I had taken my time a little more when I was younger, to be a kid again. Not to be young and have to go through school and meet girls and all that stuff. But them three month long vacations, those I could enjoy. Sure there might be a few chores to do but think of the free time. I don't ever remember getting a speeding ticket on my way fishing. Sitting out in front of Ma and Pa's grocery and sipping on a bottle of pop. No rush, no hurry. Last day of school and knowing that you were going to have three months before you had to get up in the morning. But if they were biting in the morning that was no problem getting up and being on the shoreline as the sun started to pop up over the tree line. Sure now I have trucks and boats and all the tackle I want. If I see a new rod or reel I just buy it. I can plan on a fishing trip to places I could never go to when I was young. But isn't that the best part... Wanting to go somewhere you have never been before, catching that fish that you have never caught before. Walking the walk you never took before. Awe if I was young again I think I would have taken more time to enjoy having time.

Maybe that is what we do when we get older, we start to slow down and enjoy ourselves. I don't have to go to Brazil bass fishing, I have Mr. Big just a few minutes away from my cabin. I am pretty sure that I will never go to Brazil but I know that when the ice melts I will be at Mr. Bigs doorstep flicking a new secret bait to try and catch him. I also know that I will enjoy every moment of it. So back to Endina and Gus, he is a lucky guy, He figured out the take your time and enjoy life part a long time ago. I have tried to follow his advice on taking it slow. All those things that the old timers say do have a lot of truth to them. You know the " Do it right the first time" and " Don't put things off" My neighbor Elmer from time to time will make the trip up to Gus's to go lake trout fishing. You get the two of them together and it is just time to sit back and listen. The old days as they call it. When they,, Well I am sure you have heard it from your grandparents of how hard it was way back when. But do you ever listen to what they say? They are not really complaining they are just telling you how it was. For the most part I have a feeling that they would not change anything.

We arrived up at Gus's just after dark, we had already had supper so we exchange handshakes and the coffee was out. In a flash Endina had some hot buttered rolls out and we retire to the living room to talk about fishing plans for the next day and to watch the stars appear out over there lake as they call it. Since we were going to have an early morning we were in bed by 8........ 4 am the next morning I wake to the gentle sounds of chimes.. With my eyes open in the faint light coming through the window I could make out my friend Chuck in the bed next to me looking at me and smiling. It brought me back to the very first time I was ever at Endina's We were in the same downstairs bedroom. I heard the soft ringing of chimes and Chuck told me that Endina would walk through the house ringing the chimes to wake everyone up. Better then having someone pound on your bedroom door. We took turns taking a quick cool shower and headed out to the dinning room. The room was bright in light as every light downstairs was on. Rich smells came from the kitchen. Gus was already seated at the table along with a few other uncles and Chuck and I took our place. This was to be my first real breakfast. I had been warned by Chuck the night before that Endina makes a great breakfast. Licking my fingers after the 3rd hot butter bun I was looking forward to it.

There were several platters on the table with lids and you could just see a tad of steam rising from each of them. Endina made an entrance with a ham already sliced up in half inch slices. She placed it in the center of the table and asked what we were waiting for. With that the lids came of the platters. A bowl of scramble eggs, another of fried eggs. Several jars of homemade jellies. A jug of orange juice and a pot of coffee. I joking said "no toast?" Just then Endina came through the door with a wooden platter of hot bread just from the oven. If I have a weakness it is for homemade bread. Chuck had told Endina and she set the platter and a bowl of butter with in easy reach. This was not breakfast, this was like a thanksgiving meal. After the longest breakfast I ever had we finally started to gather gear and load the sleds for the ride out onto the lake. I made a point of thanking Endina for the best breakfast I ever had. She asked what I took in my coffee and told her I was not that fond of coffee, she patted me on the back and said she would pack something for me.

I don't remember how we did fishing that day but I do remember the cooler, after being on the ice for only a few hours Gus announced that he was hungry again. It didn't take any coaxing for the uncles to haul the big blue cooler over to the fire and flip the top off. Inside wrapped in wax paper were the biggest and thickest roast beef sandwiches that I ever saw. Home made cookies and big slices of apple pie. Thermos of coffee and a thermos with my name on it. I open the top to find hot apple cider with cinnamon sticks in a bag taped to the side. We sat around the fire eating and grunting away. That was 30 years ago and I still remember it if it was like yesterday. Well actually it was just like yesterday because Endina now in her 90's still cooks like that and Gus still eats like that.

So maybe our parents and grandparents were not really getting old when they took us out fishing. Maybe they had learned how to relax and enjoy their kids. It's not always about catching fish. It might just be about being with your kids. Every time I go fishing with Elmer and with Gus I am reminded to just take time and enjoy the moment. Stop and take a deep breath, watch a deer standing on the shoreline watching you. A eagle in a tree a dragonfly on the tip of your rod. You may have seen it a hundred times before but if you are a kid it may be your first time. The Line "stop and smell the roses" didn't really mean you had to smell roses. From the ice of Lake Iwanttobethere (8627)

Bright sunny day here at Lake Iwanttobethere. Lot of the shanty doors are standing open and people are sitting on there chairs outside chatting and fishing. I made my way down main street and it only took me about an hour. Kept on getting side tracked talking and checking out houses. Usually it is just a ten minute walk to get back to the Lodge. I had a few errands that I had to run for the Lodge and also had to pick up a few supplies for the Town Hall. Now that Tax time is here we try and keep paper and pencils handy to help out. I see Reed the Realtor will be doing taxes again this season, he has his sign in the window. Several people are taking advantage of the sunny day to clean off storefront windows. The last of the Christmas paintings are being washed off and a few are putting up their Valentines hearts. A little steam is coming up off the drying blacktop making it look warmer then it really is.

I ducked into the Dew Drop for a quick cup of coffee and the guys are busy hashing out ways of being creative with their taxes. I know Del is trying to find some kind of credit for his pizza cannon. After picking up my pencils from Earl's I went to the post office to check in with Mark and see if he has gotten any of his tax forms in yet. He now having his very own office/post office was looking forward to having forms on hand.

Found the road grader and Frank the county driver inside Amy's he was complaining of not having anything to do with the lack of snow. As long as I was there I had me a nice roast beef sandwich and enjoyed the sun shinning through the window. Town was kind of busy as I was sitting and eating I did notice a lot of foot traffic going up and down the street. Floyd at the hardware store was out in his shirt sleeves checking in an order and Elmer and old man Walter were chatting away outside Ma and Pa's grocery. For just being the 23rd of January it was more like the 23rd of March

We are getting to the point of no return here soon. Almost the end of the month and not a lot of snow to talk about. Good thing we do have some decent ice and we are catching fish. Last year with all the fall storms the water was stirred up some and fishing never really did take off. This year we got some decent ice and the snow stayed away. Now after that cold snap the ice is just fine. We did get some snow, much more then people away from the lake. On the other hand I for one do not mind these temps My wood pile is in good shape and that is less that I will have to go and cut next month with Hammering Hank. If no snow comes we should be able to use the truck and trailer to haul wood out and that will save us at least a day. Besides I would rather split wood in the upper 20's the the 20 's below...

Winter carnival will be in just a few weeks, I think next week we will start harvesting ice from the lake. We might have to push some snow in towards the landing but then again maybe we will get some before then. As I was walking back towards the Lodge I spend some time with Vicki at the Masterbaiters Shop. Eyeballing a new reel. With the mild winter the oil man has been kind to me. Been warm enough just burning wood so I will have a little windfall there in the budget. Can't think of a better way to spend it then on a new reel. Will name it 06 that way I will remember the winter. Since Mr. Big fried my big reel I need a replacement when I go after him this Spring. I did take a ride down in the bay and checked out his lair. I do hope we get some rain this spring, the water level is low and with no snow it won't be much of a run off. Heck it can rain all April if it wants. O wait, I still have to finish the rest of then shingles on the shed. I'll have to put that back on the top of my Honey do list. Along with a few hundred things that I ran out of time to do...

O gee I almost forgot about the fishing contest this weekend!! Yup the fishing contest will be held by the Lodge this next weekend. We have it during the off time during football playoffs. The signs have been up for awhile and the Lodge has it's big fish sign up sheet and raffle. There are prizes through the first 25 places and once again Mindy and Mandy will be on the ice selling raffle tickets. We did have to cancel the dog sled races but we will still have the puppy contest and the beer can jumping contest along with a casting contest. Lots of fun for the kids and it looks like a good weather day is in the forecast. So come on out to the Lake. Well from the frozen waters of Lake Iwanttobethere (8693)

well tomorrow make it two weeks since i have put out my fishhouse closer to home out. and i must say. i am in absolute heaven. i get to spend my weekends at lakeiwanttobethere, and my weeknights in the home shack. and since this has happened my home bed does not know me. and the cats have an attitude. except when i bring an occasional fish home. and that in itself is a kinda cute story. as i have mantioned before in this forum, i do have two cats. a very fat 10 y/o orange tabby, and a very spoiled 9 y/o siameese, both males. well the spoiled one used to drive me crazy when ever i started cleaning fish. he would do circles around the table meowing and whining, at top of his lungs. well after a bit of "retraining" on his part, he and the tabby now sit on the edge of the carpet just outside the kitchen. watching very attentively. and on the siameese's part not having a fit. and they wait for me to call them for treats.

welll again back to the being on the ice thing. i do love to do some summer fishing. and although i have friends that fish. i spend most of my summer times at the lake, taking in the company of friends, sitting by the morning remains of a smoldering campfire pit. sipping coffee, listening to the loons early morning calls, and one of the things i love most about those mornings are, watching the world wake up around me. i also hope for a good stiff breeze so i can take out the hobiecat for some very exciteing sailing. this is all good and i love the social thing about it.

but what i treasure and value the most, are the times on ice. ya see lots of people hibernate in the winter. become less social. and with the eception of the holidaze. tend to become homebodies not wanting to embrace and the beautiful winter seen we have been provided with. heck i guess i am guilty too. but, those of you that have the "ice fishing bug" know what i am referring to. infact i do know a couple of people that only icefish. not many but a few. they dont like sitting on a boat on a windy day. or with the hot sun beating them down.

i just love being on the ice. sitting in a peacefull location on the lake. an occasional bell ringing from a fish hitting an active fathead. the different sounds the ice makes as it creeks, cracks, and moans. the way it sings as it does on early ice. and thumps and pounds when it is nice and thick. or the way your adrenalin jumps when that crack comes right thru the house, or even thru the hole you are stareing at.

last year showed me how much this means to me. we did not have great ice around here and i did not put out the sleeper house. and i did manage a nite or two in a house. i missed it so much, because it wasnt everynight.

the end of the walleye season, as much as i hate to say it, looms around the corner. soon i will have to put the fishhouse back into the backyard. and store it for another year. the time the sleeper spends on ice seem to be shorter as of late. looking back into the log books we keep, we have had them out as early as right after thanksgiving. and this year it was two weeks into the new year. and because of that is the reason my bed at home stays empty. would it be wrong or goofy of me to maybe spend a nite or two init while it is parked in the back yard? wouldnt be on the ice but the memories may lead you to believe you are. i do spend alot of time in my portable, and enjoy those minutes too. ice fishhing is ice fishing. and that is what i love to do most. but the nights i spend in my fishhouse are where i recharge my soul. i know i have mentioned this before, and probably will again. i have heard that the all time you spend fishing, is given back to you at the end of your life. well i aint been the nicest to my body. i spent half of my life as an appliance deliveryman. that and other things i ahve done and believe me... i need all the extra time i can get. hehehehe

welll from the point on lakeiwanttobethere that seperates waconia bay from sylvia bay i wish you many comforting days on the water, beit hard or soft. ... paul

Well I am here just watching the sun slip behind the trees. I will admit that I am all tuckered out after this weekends ice fishing contest here on Lake Iwanttobethere. A lot of people were here over the weekend and the Lodge did a bang up business. Between the grill and the bar being open to the general public we served a lot of people. Our group of kids from the big city were up on Saturday and they were entered in the contest and one of the young fellows took 7th place in the walleye division. The landing area was busy all weekend long with the coming and going of fishermen and of course some of the town's business had there tents up. The area was rich with the smells of BBQ and deep fryers making turkeys. One of the favorites was the corn being roasted over a large fire. A few of the local chain saw carvers were busy on Saturday carving up some ice blocks that were harvested from the lake.

We had a two day fishing contest and you need not be present to win. Along with the raffle some nice presents were awarded. Mindy and Mandy did a good job working the crowd. Dan and his puppy Grace won the puppy contest and he sure did have a crowd of kids following him around all day. Was sunny but cool both days and we could not have asked for better weather. I didn't get a chance to wet a line as I was busy running around organizing things. Now I am getting ready to watch the sunset and lite up a cigar and take a deep breath or two. Maybe tomorrow I'll get back down to the house and see if I can get a pull on my string. My sons used my house and they caught fish but nothing to put them in the money. They had a good time and that was what is important. That and the Lodge made some money to help with some other planned events later in the year.

Gets a little busy this time of the year for me as Hammering Hank and I will be out collecting firewood this next week. No snow so it looks good for using the truck and trailer instead of the snowmobiles. As I mentioned before I am doing well on firewood at the cabin as the mild winter has been good to me. Even if it does get real cold I will still have plenty left over. Hank on the other hand is still going through the wood as he is selling quite a bit. The tourists coming up to fish the lake still like that fire to chase away the chill when the sun goes down and the smell of wood smoke makes a trip.

Nytelyter has been seen coming and going off the ice. I never seem to catch him. Have been meaning to rap on his door when I see the lights on but I am usually on my way in a hurry somewhere else. I think he is sleeping out there. Can't think of a better winter cabin myself then the ice shanty. I do know he is sure taking advantage of that minnow card at the Masterbaiters shop! He moved his house to. Now Dan is out there all by himself. A few people have relocated houses, seems to be moving toward shore and where the town was last winter. Fishing has been fair, better then last year. End of January already, winter is just zipping by. Well I hope you made it to the ice this weekend and maybe I will see your name on the prize list when I help contact winners. From the frozen and quiet waters of Lake Iwanttobethere (8815)

It's kind of lonley out there too. Maybe I should see if I could get Hank to help me get back to the main road.

Well a touch of the past has left us here at Lake Iwanttobethere. Mark the mailman took possession of a new postal mini van. Yup, they came and got his old little Jeep this morning and left him this min van. Told him that he had to upgrade like everyone else has. He also said when I talked to him that since he is a postmaster that just wearing a hat is not enough anymore. He may even have to wear the uniform all the time. As it is now he just puts on the pants and coat when he has to go to the regional office. I saw him outside his office just standing and shaking his head looking at the mini-van. He was hoping to chase down the old Jeep later this afternoon and see if he could buy it but was told it was going right to the shredder..

On a better note I got my wood harvested already, Hammering Hank's cousin Harland brought his two mules over and they are trained loggers. We managed in just a few days to drop our trees and the mules skid them out to the clearing for us. Well with three chain saws going we made quick work of the logs and the splitter took care of the bigger pieces. I have a nice pile down by the shed and I will work on that come Spring.

Winter carnival this weekend and we have had to make a few changes due to weather and lack of snow. The snow blower races are out unless we get some snow in the next few days and that does not look like it is going to happen. As a matter of fact there has been a pretty brisk wind the last few days and most of the snow has been blown off this end of the lake. Bad for snow blower races but good for the speed and seed racing. There will of course be a fishing contest on Saturday and a kids only contest on Sunday. We have been harvesting ice for the sculpture contests and that will start on Friday afternoon with judging on Sunday morning. The almost naked Slip, Dip and try to scream ice water plunge will be held on both Saturday and Sunday afternoon. Donations will be going towards the Lodge youth days.

We expect several vendors to be in the park and also several local business will be there with there tents hawking goods and services. Saturday will also feature our own Lodge softball team against the town down the road in a winter softball game. This will be the first time in recent memory that we will be playing on a grass field. Before I forget I must also remind you that Mindy and Mandy will be in the park baking their hot caramel rolls from scratch in their Dutch ovens. Worth making the trip to the lake just for that!

Super bowl Sunday is here but not to worry most of our events will be done by the middle of the afternoon and you can always come to the Lodge and catch the game there. The Lodge will be holding there super bowl party so if you are a member you should be there anyway. We have borrowed the big screen projector from the Mpls couple and will be watching the game on a 10' screen. I will start the chili the night before so it will be ready in time. Mindy and Mandy have promised to put on a half time show of their own for us, something to do with the left over caramel.. Well from the frozen waters of Lake Iwanttobethere, where I might add we are still making ice. Have a good one..(8891)

CHILI??????????? did some one say chili cook off??? i am already pickin up my supplies for my batch of 8 hour chili. a recipie that has been refined for the last twenty years. a true taste of chili in its finest form, if i may say so myself. there may just be a return of the green cloud around my shack after the game. see you all there. oh by the way fishing has been great. however the catchin has slowed a bit. i love waking up in the morning with the warm sun shineing thru the fishhouse window. gonna be a cold one this weekend. may just want to bring along a few more things along to the lake. better off prepared. than kickin ones self. see you on the ice. ill be the one in the tee shirt, getting ready for the winter swim. ... paul

Always welcome another pot of chili on the stove, Makes mine taste all that much better!! wink.gif

Well I banged up my knee on the ice the other day and it has slowed me down some. I went and saw Doc Burriem and told him how I had fell and popped my kneecap out. He checked the knee and said it looked like I got it back where it belongs but maybe I should go into the big city and have one of them city doctors look at. But for now just to take it easy and keep some ice on it. Well what better place to do that then in the shanty. So here I sit on my pail in the doorway with the sun on my face. Ice town is quiet today as it is cold and the ice is talking. It will be busy tomorrow with the carnival fishing contest. Going to be very cold so we will have to see who comes out. Before I left the cabin I printed out my e-mail to read at the shanty and a friend sent me something that I thought I would pass on, here have a read...

AHHHHHHHHHH MEMORIES!!!

Close your eyes...And go back...

.Before the Internet or PC or the MAC......

Before semi-automatics and crack....

Before Playstation, SEGA, Super Nintendo, even before Atari...

Before cell phones, CD's, DVD's, voice mail and e-mail....

way back.... way.....way.....way back.....

I'm talkin' bout hide and seek at dusk

Red light, Green light

Red Rover....Red Rover.....

Playing kickball & dodge ball until the first...no...second...no...third Streetlight came on

Ring around the Rosie

London Bridge

Hot potato

Hop Scotch

Jump rope

Duck....duck....GOOSE!!!

Parents stood on the front porch and yelled (or whistled) for you to

come home - no pagers or cell phones

Mother May I?

Seeing shapes in the clouds

Endless summer days and hot summer nights (no A/C) with the windows

open

The sound of crickets Catchin' lightning bugs in a jar

Running through the sprinkler

Cereal boxes with that GREAT prize in the bottom

Cracker jacks with the same thing

Ice pops with 2 sticks you could break and share with a friend

but wait.....there's more....

Watchin' Saturday Morning cartoons

Fat Albert, Road Runner, Smurfs, Picture Pages, G-Force & He-Man,

Schoolhouse Rock

Watchin' Sunday morning oldies (Abbott & Costello, Three Stooges)

Wonder Woman & Super Man Underoos

FONZIE.....AYYYYYYYY

Christmas morning

Your first day of school

Bedtime Prayers and Goodnight Kisses

Climbing trees

Swinging as high as you could to try and reach the sky

Getting an Ice Cream off the Good Humor Truck

A million mosquito bites and sticky fingers

Jumpin' down the steps

Jumpin' on the bed

Sleep-overs in the back yard

Rope swings

A 13" black and white TV in your room meant you were RICH

Runnin' till you were out of breath

Laughing so hard that your stomach hurt

Being tired from PLAYING

WORK: meant taking out the garbage or doing the dishes

Your first crush

Your first kiss

Rainy days at school meant playing "Heads up 7UP" or hangman" in

The classroom, Remember that?

Oh, I'm not finished yet....

Kool-Aid was the drink of the summer

So was a swig from the hose

Giving your friends a ride on your handlebars

Wearing your new shoes on the first day of school

Class Field Trips with soggy sandwiches

When nearly everyone's mom was at home when the kids got there

When a quarter seemed like a fair allowance;

and another quarter a MIRACLE

When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to

the fate that awaited you at home. A ruler across the knuckles

Basically, we were in fear for our lives but it wasn't because of

drive by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc.

Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! And some of

us are still afraid of em!

Didn't that feel good? Just to go back and say, "Yeah, I remember

that!"

Well, let's keep going!!

Let's go back to the time when...

Decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-mo"

Mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, "do over!"

"Race issues" meant arguing about who ran the fastest.

Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in "monopoly"

Catching fireflies could happily occupy an entire evening

It wasn't odd to have two or three "best" friends.

Being old, referred to anyone over 20.

The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was cooties.

Nobody was prettier than Mom

Scrapes and bruises were kissed by mom or grandma and made better

It was a big deal to finally be tall enough to ride the "big people"

rides at the amusement park.

Bragging about wearing an x-large shirt

Spinning around, getting dizzy and falling down was cause for giggles.

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team.

Water balloons were the ultimate, ultimate weapon.

Older siblings were your worst tormentors, but also your fiercest

protector

I'm going to put this on the door here, Sometimes when the fish aren't biting it's good to have something to read to get your mind wandering.. Have a good day from Lake Iwanttobethere. (8967)

Well it is down right cold here at Lake Iwanttobethere. We are not so dumb as to be bragging about how cold it is. As you get a little older you tend to get a little wiser, I won't say smarter but there comes a time when it is just to dang cold to be outside Yes it can get cold enough outside that you wear a hat and you don't need your ma to tell you to do it. We had to cancel the plunge as we could not keep the skim ice off the open hole. People still donated money and we thank them. Was not safe with temps in the minus 20's and with the wind chill down into the 40's Everyone open up their shanties to strangers for the ice fishing contest as it was not safe to be on the ice if you did not have some kind of shelter. A lot of new friends were made and more then a few rounds were bought at the lodge for strangers by strangers.

Even Mindy and Mandy were covered up, all you could see where those pretty eyes behind the goggles. Fishing was poor but prizes were awarded by the raffle drawing. The ice sculptures took a little long to cut and they are all still out there for everyone to enjoy. The seed and speed skating were held and no records were broken. I think because there were to many clothes being worn. Ice can jumping was canceled because not enough beer was being drank. Hot cider and cocoa ruled the day.

On Sunday the wind went down some and people were out fishing on the lee side of there houses. Not a cloud in the sky and although it was still cold the sun made it bearable. Bud and Barney made it to the end of the deck, did their thing and made a dash back to the cabin. Was to cold on there feet and they know where the sun warms the cabin floor. Glad I have wood stacked with in reach and no need to go anywhere. Glad for a touch of real winter but I was enjoying the nice temps and I would be lying if I don't want to see them return. I think some snow would have made it better but I still no see any of that in the forecast.

Sitting at my desk here looking out the glass patio doors on to the frozen water of Lake Iwanttobethere it looks like a post card. Then you notice that the smoke coming from the shanties are blowing level with the ice and you don't see any one moving down there. Have not seen a bird for several days and not a new rabbit track in what little snow we have. Guess they know when it is time to wait it out. I did see Elmer this morning, He was tossing some firewood in his pickup and with a quick wave he jumped in and was heading towards the ice town. Looking down the hill I can see smoke coming from his shanty. Can't keep Elmer from his Sunday morning appointment with his auger. Chuck was over this afternoon borrowing some tools. His tool shed shifted and he can't get his door open. He knew what he had to do to fix it but of course all his tools were inside his shed. Seems that is the way it always works.

Will be time to head to the Lodge here in a few hours for the Lodge super bowl party. My chili is being stirred as needed by Mindy and Mandy as they are at the Lodge giving us members a break today so we can enjoy the game. I think I am going to just plan on staying the night as the card game will start after the game. We are going to try and get Nytelyter involved, rumor has it he is a card player and we are always looking for some new money at the game. We have a couple of boards under the bar and they are all filled so there should be some interest in the game and of course some side bets. Not to mention a few drinking and chip eating contests. This is also that time of the year when we get rid of all the old or should I say aged pickled eggs and pigs feet that have been sitting on the back bar since last spring. By the 4th quarter some people will eat anything on a dare. Well from Lake Iwanttobethere where we are really making ice! (9022)

Another cold night here at Lake Iwanttobethere but it is sunny out and only 2 below as I took a drive around town this afternoon. I was killing some time waiting for Doc to show up at his office so I could get my knee checked again. As I was parked out in front of the cafe I thought to myself that I have not really kept you readers informed off all the doing that go on around town here. Sure some things I mention but there is always something going on here and if some of you are thinking of spending any time here at the lake you might be more interested in some of the things that don't really get involved in. I know the women would like to hear more about whatthe town here has to offer them. Of course it would be from a man's perspective.

It's the first Monday of the month so the caravan is parked down by the town hall. The caravan makes it around the country side bring in services to us small towns. The Library van is followed by the Bloodmobile which is followed by Bucky Snaggletooth in his pickup towing the mini donut trailer. You go and pick up some reading material then go donate blood and follow it up with some hot little donuts to regain your energy. The bloodmobile frowns on the health of the deep fried donuts but I have seen the nurses sneak out the side door and buy from Bucky.

First Monday also means the ladies auxiliary meets at the Dew Drop Inn for lunch. During the summer they meet every week but in the winter there does not seem to be as many causes for them to unit and support. Also they don't seem to have the same impact in the winter. Having someone outside your business or home picketing in fur lined parkas and moon boots in not like the summer time when they are in their pink flowered dresses and matching sun umbrellas.

Most of the ladies are widows who in my opinion have nothing better to do. So they find something to support or find fault with and then for several weeks or until something else catches there attention they protest for or against it. Elmer went to school with several of them and he stays away from the cafe when they have there meetings. He has always said that if they target him he will have to leave town as having one woman pester you is more then enough. Can you imagine ten of them! They are good enough people just somewhat misdirected sometimes. They learned the lodge was serving home made beer and started to picket us. That was settled by Elmer spiking their ice tea and then telling them they were drinking home made shine. They could not in good faith protest something that they were drinking by the gallon under the the shade of the oak tree. By then they had moved on to the red shades that Amy had at her sandwich shop saying that they were not proper for a single woman. Mindy and Mandy walk the other way when they see the auxiliary coming down the street.

Reed the Realtor is busy today as his tax service is open and there are local people coming and going. Big Earl is out front of his shop sweeping away at the sidewalk. Ma is outside of the grocery wiping her hands in her apron and chatting away with Mrs. Maxwell. Billy Ray honks his horn at me as he drives by with a load of hay in the back of his pickup. I see Sunshine Ray from the radio station come out of his building and then rush back in only to reappear with a coat and hat on this time. Must have been playing one of his summer forecasts and forgot it was winter. Mark the mailman drives by and parks at the post office, he gets out and shakes his head at his new mini-van. I see he is wearing an official looking u.s. Postal parka today, but still has jeans on.

Old Man Iverson pulls up at Earl's and he has a clipboard in hand. They talk briefly and I can see Earl nodding his head. They head inside the store. Iverson must be up to something. You remember his special pontoon boat from last summer. I hear he is making some more changes again. Well time for me to move on here and enjoy this fine mid winter day. From Lake Iwantobethere I think we have enough ice..(9042)

Coming up on a year since our friend and fellow Lodge member FOOT passed on to better fishing waters. Seems fitting that we should spend a little time reading some of his writings. So here you go "some best of FOOT" Tom Miller

Bobby, well as you can tell from my lack of posting it's been rather busy for me. I decided to take some extra time off and work on the cabin. The nice thing was the guys came up with me.

You should stop over sometime, it's looking pretty good right now. We've added a few hundred square feet and actually have indoor plumbing now. New windows were installed as well as outside doors. The old carpeting, full of cat p, was pulled up and burned. Sorry we really didn't think it would smell that bad or put out that much black smoke. The porch has been re-leveled and a new roof installed. The old furnace and window A/C have been replaced. In fact I would have installed central A/C if I could but Barry said it was too cost prohibitive, which means he couldn't get me one at cost.

If you get over to the cabin and want to look inside there is a spare key sitting under the 14th rock from the left side of the porch under the cedar tree. Please don't tell anyone about the key and please replace it when you leave.

I've never worked so hard in my life, here's a typical day.

Up by 08:15 - get coffee going and drink 2 cups while discussing who will make breakfast - after 30 minutes we all head to the Sundown Cafe for breakfast at 08:55 - finish breakfast and return to cabin 10:15 - change clothes and get ready to ge to work 10:30 - One more cup of coffee 10:40 - head to outhouse to get ride of coffee 10:55 - Start work 11:00 - break for lunch at 12:20 - have a beer or 2 discussing who will make lunch - head to Sundown at 13:00 - back from lunch and ready to work by 14:35 - work like a dog until 15:50 when it's time to break for a beer - drink 1 or 2 beers and lose feeling to get back to work - head to Sundown for dinner - stop by off-sale house and pick up a couple of cases of beer - back to cabin by 20:45 - start working on 2 cases of beer - passs out and get to sleep by 11:35 - up the next morning and get back to the grind.

Thank goodness I had the guys to help me out or I'd still be working at getting things done.

The other night at the lodge several of us were sitting around playing cards and sipping on cold drinks. The fireplace had settled down from a roaring fire to a hot bed of coals. Play was slow and there was more talk going around the table then there was money changing hands. Wisps of cigar smoke hung over the table like smoke from a chimney on a cold winters morning. Which by the way it was. The Lodge was dark with just a few lights on and the glow and flickering of an occasional flame from the fireplace lighting up the area around the table. Just a bunch of friends sharing a moment that there are far to few of. Funny how moments like this make you remember moments like them. Kind of like when you start talking about your best fishing days and that reminds someone of theirs which reminds someone of theirs and it just snowballs from there.

Of course it is not always good things that are remembered, it can just as well be something bad. If you spend anytime fishing then hooks in flesh come in to play. Motor problems, dropping things overboard. Rods breaking and fish lost. Old girlfriends who did not make the grade. Friends that did. Getting lost and being found, claiming you have never been lost. Boasting of how lost you were. Caught in the rain, wading through water. How far you had to walk to school in the dark in ragging snowstorms. About that time on the Lodge radio turned down low comes Jose Feliciano Light My Fire. Perfect song to just sip on your drink and bring back some old memories. A few ashes are flicked from cigars and no one really does anything for awhile. You just kind of sit back and enjoy the moment. A year ago Foot was here at the table playing poker with us. His spot has been filled by another player and as we get older sooner or later all of our places will be filled by another. Just good that someone remembers that we sat at the table. For some reason we must have all had the same thought at the same time. Elmer raised his glass "to Foot" glasses were rased and Foot's name was echoed around the table.

Tom "Foot" Miller resident of Lake Iwanttobethere (9085)

Two more stories from the FOOT....

Bobby, well please inform the community that I am no longer a FED. Now don't let that scare you.

Shortly after I got out of the military I was living and working in MPLS. I was working at UNITROM at the time and one of the guys (Chey) on my shift was very private about his lie outside of work.

Just prior to a big anti-war rally on the UofM I was approached by a government agency (I'm not sure if it was CIA or FBI or someone else). Anyway, they asked me to attend the rally and watch Chey and remember who he met and what was said as he was a founding father of the NDS (Norweigens for a Democratic Society). They were a

para-military group that was advocating an end to the war in Vietnam, or at least not sending any more Norweigens.

I of course being a good American and a Vet and mor Irish and German then Norski said YES immediately. Unfortunately I had little to report as Chey met with several people but the conversation shortly degenerated to Lefsa and hot dish receipies.

The one reason I'm taking so long in purchasing a cabin and asking so many questions and meeting with Molly and Widow Hess is to get a good picute of the community. As I'm sure you are aware good neighbors are the important part of the mix. Everything else can be altered to a satisfactoy conclusion.

Please don't tell the local population that I have already visited the area several times to get the lay of the land and understand the people. Each time I was in a different costume/makeup so people wouldn't recognize me. This worked pretty well until I had to stop at the local Gas and Go just as they were closing. I had decided to go in drag that night and was met by a very helpful young service station attendant, Willie Wrenchhead. I'm not sure if Wrenchhead is his real name or not but he did answer to Willie. Anyway, I digress. While Willie was filling up the car with gas he tried hitting on me. In fact when I went to the restroom, since I was wearing womans clothing I had to use the ladies room, I got the distinct feeling I was being watched. Sure enough ther was a hole in the wall right behind the stool.

Now before I go any further let me assure you this was the first, last and only time I plan on wearing woman's clothing. I only do so as a means of hiding my real identity. God's only knows how those women can wear them thong panties. I'm still chaffed.

Back at the car there stood Big Willie and Little Willie, if you get my meaning. It took everything I could do to jump in the car, lock the doors and beat a hasty retreat. Is Willie the only pervert you have up that a way?

Is the Sundown Cafe the place that makes that wonderful Hot Meat Sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy? I asked Gus what that wonderful tasting meat was but all he would say is "do you expect Wolfgang Puck to tell you his secrets"? I can only guess that Wolfgang Puck is a local hockey player, correct?

Well, lunch is over, gotta go.

p.s. I'm mailing Reed an ernest money check this afternoon of $50, which I thought was a bit expensive but I understand lake property has different rules.

Bobby, well I had the guys over last night for some poker and a few barley pops. We all had today off so last night was an addition to our weekly game.

Anyway, about half way through our session I broke the news that I was buying a cabin. For about 3 seconds you could have heard a pin drop and then all h--- broke loose. Everyone started to talk at once. Where, when, what's it like, how many does it sleep, any women close by, how many bars, huntin or fishin or both, who gets to go up first, wives aren't invited are they, what type of fish etc etc etc. I'm sure you can imagine.

Tony three toes (Tony likes to hunt deer with the safety off so he can get a quicker shot) wanted to know what I was going to call the cabin. Danny said I should call it The Up North Shak. He doesn't have much of an imagination. Spooner (likes to shoot Spoonbills) came up with Foot's Folly. Seems like everything he names always has folly in it, including his daughter, Francine Folly Fordham. He and his wife conceived Frannie in the back seat of their 67 Chevy while he was dating 5 other girls. All of the sudden Junie (Spooner's wife) became his one and only. Especially since Junie Dad showed Spooner his Model 12.

There were a couple of other names that came up but they were just as rediculous. Then Dave hit upon it. The Office. It's simple and sure has a certain ring to it. Ya know like when someone asks "What ya doin this weekend" you reply "Ah I gotta go to the office, work is never done".

Barry (AC) he's a tim bender for an air conditioner firm took one look at the pics I had and said we are going to have to put on an addition. There just isn't enough room for all of us to have seperate beds and he ain't sleepin in the same bed with none of us. It was decided the addition will be a bunk room with space for 6. That way I still have my own bedroom and I might be able to auction off the use of the other bedroom each weekend they come up. Just kiddin, it'll go to the person who buys the most beer.

I know it might sound like the guys are over stepping their bounds but you need to remember we've known each other since grade school. As a group we've hunted and fished more water and woods then most people.

Well I've told you a little about the guys or at least 4 of them so I'd better fill you in on the other 3.

Mike (Sparks) works for the telephone company. He got into the telephone business while he was in the military. They Army made him a "Pole Jockey". That's a person who climbs the poles to fix or string/connect the telephone wire. When Mike went to Vietnam he found out the average life expentancy of a pole jockey was about 45 seconds he learned real fast how to get up the pole, fix the problem and get back down. He would climb like a startled monkey, do what he had to do and then kick his spikes out a free fall back to earth. Problem was he was always getting a massive amount of wooden slivers on the inside of his thighs. Now when ever his thighs get to close together it sets off sparks and/or a fire from the friction. A little fact not lost on his wife Char, as in charcoal. Trouble was Mike never was in Vietnam. Nearest he got to Vietnam was a 6 month tour in Hawaii. I guess with all of those Hawaiian jungles his mind just took over.

Dave (Thumbs) owns his own Tile & Rock business. No great explaination needed to see why he's called thumbs. He has the largest, flatest and uglyist thumbs in the business.

Now this leaves us to Jerry. Jerry is a different kinda of a cuss. He'll sit for hours and never say a word and then will all of sudden break into song. He prefers songs from the 5o's even though he's only 47 years old. He'll also sit in the front of a boat huddled in a wold's hood parka in 60 degree weather just because it's opening weekend. One year he was hunched over in Spark's boat as it trolled past. The fishing pole Jerry held onto was banging off the front of the boat and making a heck of a racket. I yelled to Spark's that Jerry might have a bite. Sure enough after Sparks woke Jerry a heck of a fight was under way. The fish was taking Jerry from one side of the boat to the other and back again. Never did Jerry move, he just stayed hunched over. After about 35 minutes the line broke. Jerry looked up at Sparks, who was now standing over Jerry's back holding a net and said "Gee I think I lost him". Well let me tell you Sparks really set things to cookin then. We had gotten a glimpse at the fish and it was a Walleye and not just any Walleye but one for the record books. Sparks was soo upset he threw down the net breaking it on the boat and having it flop into the water, sinking to the bottom. We always put $5.00 per man on the largest Walleye and Sparks was probably thinking this was going to be the year Jerry could pay him for some of the boat gas. Anyway, Jerry just tied on another hook, slipped on a minnow and went back to fishing. We never have been able to come up with a nickname for Jerry, even though we have spent many a sleepless night trying.

Lookin forward to coming back up there, Bye for now.

(9195)

One of them long days yesterday. I was visiting some friends down the road a ways. And we decide to have lunch at the Log Cabin Tavern. Another friend of mine owns it. He has had it for several years. He used to spend so much time there that his wife said one day that he should just buy it, so he did. Well any way we had lunch and a few beers sat around talking and around four or so I decide I better head back to the lake. Well I don't get but five miles from the tavern and I start overheating in the Dodge. This but itself would be no big deal but I just put a new radiator in it on Tuesday and here I am over heating and miles away from the Tavern and the Lake. I had to nurse it back home and then all I did was add a few quarts to the radiator and I was back to normal running temperature again. But now I think my water pump is going so that is why I was down on fluid. So here is my question to ya. Why does that always happen in the middle of no where How come you always drop the muffler in the middle of the freeway. A flat in the rain? You over heat in the dead of winter or pop a u-joint taking the boat out of the water? Just once I would like to break down in front of a garage with a winning 500 dollar scratch of ticket in my pocket that I just found on the pavement.. O well I guess that is something else I'll have to add to my honey do list when the weather gets a little warmer..

Another friend of mine sent me e-mail from New York. He has relatives that live in that little snow belt where they have received over a hundred inches of snow in just one week and it is still coming down. Now I don't care where you live that there is a lot of snow. Could use about 25 inches of that here at the lake. Won't be to much longer and the houses will be coming off the lake already. Seems like we just put them on. This winter sure has gone by quickly. Was nice till we got that extend cold snap. Made lots of ice but it can warm up anytime now. We have a full ice house. Ice logging went just fine, no accidents and no one fell in this time around. As a matter of fact where we mined the ice there is already 4 inches covering the hole. We have all the orange barrels around the area we don't want anyone going through.

We still have all of our ice sculptures from the carnival. Even though we have had some sunny days the cold temps have kept them from melting. Of course some of the young lads have done some decorating during the night but it has been in good taste. Tax returns have been coming in and in a small town like Lake Iwanttobethere the money is spent in the local stores and on special orders down at Earl's. Have not seen any new sleds in town but with no snow it would be foolish to spend money that way. If we don't get any snow here soon it will be tuff getting house off the lake. Last year we got a nice snowstorm and we could just drag the house down main street. Might have to do some trailing this year. I will be able to drag my house right down to my dock and then winch it up the hill.

Boat show this week down in Da-Luth so I will have to make a trip into town. Sure I will be able to spend some time there while the wife goes to them stores they have on the hill there and stock up on stuff we don't have here. Might even stop by Gander and take a look there. But I will order stuff from Vicki at the Masterbaiters shop. Besides I get my discount there. Sometimes it is good to have a lot of part time jobs. No sense in spending all your time in one place. Sometimes scheduling is hard but it's not like I have to really be any one place at any one time. I leave it up to the wife to fill in all the dates in regards to wedding anniversary's, birthdays, holidays and special occasions. Got the 14th circled here with some kind of frilly heart so that must mean something. When I go to the Lodge this afternoon I am sure someone there will know what it means. I see it is the same day as when the boat show starts so perhaps it's for that? Well from Lake Iwanttobethere have a good fishing day! (9197)

Well another football season has come and gone here at Lake Iwanttobethere. So now in order to fill the vacant spot on the Lodge schedule on Monday nights we will start our season of toasting! From now till fishing season we gather together in the great hall of the Lodge and with glasses in hand we toast one another. Well actually we are practicing for the county toasting championships held in May. We used to toast with shot glasses but some of our elder statesman can really babble away so then we went to beers cuz they took longer to get warm in your hands. Now in it's more refined and relaxed approach we just kind of sit around the fire and when someone has something to say he merely stands up, gets everyone's attention and speaks. I have been working some on my first toast for tonight but I am no where, I am at a loss of words so to speak. I know you find this hard to take in but I do want to say something profound.

I have spoken at funerals and at weddings and it seems as I get older it gets easier. Maybe because I have done it before but I think more because I feel something should be said. I have been at funerals and everyone sits on there hands and says nothing. You know thoughts are going through everyone's head about there friend that has passed on but no one is sharing. Guess I decide that I had to put down my fear of public speaking and say something. Now the toast club is a way for us to say things about our friends while they are still here to hear them. I am hoping that when I pass on the toasting club will have a weekend gathering for me.. I hope that I give enough stories that it takes days not a few minutes to remember me by. I am sure not all of them will be good but I hope some will bring back a smile or remind someone that I owe them something. As Spring gets closer we will have our annual Lodge Roast, Doc will be roasted this year as he is finally retiring from practice. He has been our representative to the toasting contest the past several years and is the odds on favorite to go again this year. It might have something to do with him being able to out drink any man in town so he is the last one standing at these toast meetings.

I have gotten some feed back that we are getting a few more people reading about us here at Lake Iwanttobethere. Welcome, I hope you enjoy the stories and of course if you have any stories about Lake Iwanttobethere that you join in and add them to our collection. During the lull between ice fishing and open water there seems to be more people just driving through town and looking around. I hope and the town hopes that you find a parking spot and take a walk down main street here. Amy can serve you up a nice sandwich and Mindy and Mandy are usually working at the Dew Drop Inn. Earl at the General store always has a sale on and some of the best information about the town and a taste of the old ways can be had at Ma and Pa's grocery store. Vicki at the Masterbaiters shop has stuff coming in almost everyday and and if you want to order almost anything she can handle it for you.

Reed the Realtor is more then happy to take you out and show you cabins that he has listed. Don't forget the Towns bulletin board if you are looking for something or want to post a message. We still have a few good weeks of fishing so do come out and wet a line. Hammering Hank can take you out on the ice and get you started. And if you time it just right you might even catch me behind the bar at the Lodge. Don't forget to tune your radio to the town's station where I an on Saturday morning's with the answer show.. No questions, but lots of answers to everything. Well I need to go sit on the deck and work on my toast, maybe the sunshine and the sound of cracking ice will give me an idea.. From Lake Iwanttobethere.. (9248)

Working at the Lodge this afternoon and was on the computer running our spyware programs and I thought while I was doing that I would write down a few jottings. I guess I had a pretty good toast the other night but I don't remember what I said. I was one of the last ones to go and we had already ran out of tape for the recorder the previous toasts. I have been getting pats on the back for my comments, what ever they were. I also found out that the frilly heart on my calendar was not a reminder for the boat show. Lucky for me there are stores that are open 24 hrs down there in Da-Luth so I managed to still find some candy and a few flowers. Actually I got a deal on both of them as they had closeout stickers on them. I even splurge and bought a card. As always I signed it in pencil so that it can be reused at a latter date.

I did spend some time down at the boat show but was not impressed. To many big boats and big trucks and big sail boats and just to big period. I saw but one little fishing boat. To many people selling jewelry and microwaves. To many little booths selling TV frying pans and art work that has nothing to do with fishing. Not enough fishing tackle, small fishing boats, Fishing camps with pictures of lakes and fish caught. No one there showing how to cast fly lines 175' No Labs making live retrieves in a big water tank, no lumberjacks, no sound of chain saws running. No wrestling bears, To much over priced beer. And 3.00 hot dogs. Not nearly enough kids fishing at the trout tank. The lake has a better show in the spring when the ice goes out. Times change I guess. Hard to find the small place that will teach you how to use the reel you just bought, now a days some kid just slips it in to a plastic bag and you are to busy counting your change to make sure you got it all back. The days are numbered when the bill came to 22.03 and they just round her off to 22 and call it good.

I will never when I am working at the Masterbaiters count someone a doz minnows. And every box of crawlers I pack have at least 14 in the box. Every kid going out the door gets a free bobber and every fishermen a pat on the back or a handshake. Better off taking your parking and admission money and go buy yourself some tackle. Get more for your money. Sorry about that, just a pet peeve of mine. Well from the bar here I can look out the picture window and see that a few shanties have smoke coming out there pipes. Ten more days and the town will be gone for another season. I know there is some talk of a few houses going off this weekend. Next week the weather is going to warm up and that will make it a tad easier to get houses off the ice. No snow so we will be trailing instead of dragging. Fishing contest will be coming to an end also and we will be cleaning the chalk board here at the Lodge as we post the winners.

I do have a bad feeling about spring fever this year. I think we are going to have a really bad case of it. Almost no snow on the ground, things are brown and going to be a long spring till we can be on open water. We have good ice so I think Ice out will be at the normal time. Will be a lot of clanging and banging in the garages and sheds. I think the wife is already expanding the ever present Honey do list. I'll even bet she will want me to finish shingling the shed. I might even have to step in the greenhouse and see how it made the winter. O well, I see a few fellow Lodge members are coming up the walk so I think I will have some customers here. From Lake Iwanttobethere

(9336)

Sunny day here on the ice of Lake Iwantobethere, a few of the shanties are busy jacking up in preparation of moving their houses off the ice later this afternoon. Some will not be able to make it back out during the week and no one wants to be in the traffic jam of next weekend. I have already pulled a section back home yesterday. I just have my fling section on the ice now and I can roll that back down to the cabin anytime during the week. People are not working to hard as everyone is still tending a hole or two and they keep getting interrupted by a tip up or someone yelling about a bobber going down. That is the way fishing should be. The town has a dumpster at the landing so garbage will not be left on the ice. Good season on the ice. No accidents and no one went through the ice. Fishing was pretty good and I met a few new people that have just discovered the lake. After next weekend the houses will be off the lake but there still will be a few souls chasing gills till the ice gets unsafe. Then it will be quiet here till May we will just be a small little town on the end of a dirt road.

Vicki and her husband down at the Masterbaiters will go on a much needed vacation. A working one at that as they will be going to trade shows and sporting shows looking for new suppliers to keep their shop up to date. I know I will be looking forward to the UPS guy to see what kind of new tackle he brings us in the Spring. Hammering Hank already is starting the index card pile in his back pocket of his jeans with Spring projects. Hank does not get to far until he is stopped with a question or two about a project or to confirm when he can put a dock in. I was out this morning and took a broom to my hanging dock. A little snow to be swept off and Bud and Barney were both up on the wooden bench basking in the sunshine and looking towards the ice town. Couple of crows were in the trash can so them pests are back. It did not take Elmer to long to spot them and let loose with a few shots from his ever present pellet gun that he keeps in his garage.

I did have good intention sitting here to update my Spring to do list. But I found the wife's honey do list and I see she already has more then enough stuff on it for me to do. Even left me a note to buy some color ink for the printer so she can print the list out in red so I will take more notice. I'll add that to the bottom of the list. Cabin is quiet, last year at this time I had puppies and kittens all over the place. No litters to worry about this year. I did have all the grandkids here the other night. Their parents all had errands to run and the wife OK's baby sitting then took off with them. Just me and the dogs and kids. Took about 10 minutes to demolish the living room. Like a plague they just went from one end of the cabin to the other. The dogs followed behind them just in case they dropped or broke something that was edible. I tried, kind of to keep order but 4 year olds and crawlers are a tad to quick for someone with a bum knee. I just kept sending Bud out to drag them back to me one at a time. No one died and no one got hurt. I blocked the doorway so they could not get to the den and my stuff! After an hour parents returned and the cabin was picked up. I was threaten with not being allowed alone with the kids again and then they realized what they were saying and retracted it as they may need a sitter again.

Been spending time going through the stack of catalogs that Mark has dropped off. Am looking at replacing the seats in my Puddle Humper. They are 18 years old and they just don't have the same "cush" as they once did. Maybe I have lost some of my padding and I just notice it more. So I am shopping for some new ones, or maybe I'll just redo them myself, some extra pad would make them feel better. Of course a new reel is needed since Mr. Big broke my buzz bait reel last summer. Maybe another rod? But then I would have to make a new rod holder as the two I have are full, can't throw any away. Oldest grand daughter needs and outfit too. Son bought her one for Christmas but she already broke it having a sword fight with her next door neighbor who also received a new rod. Kids... Well I see the wife is coming down the drive, Elmer has already cut her off so I will have time to post this before I make it look like I am working. From Lake Iwanttobethere enjoy the fishing.. (9417)

Well mother nature has thrown a curve ball at us. After yesterdays sunny warm day we are greeted with another warm day but overcast skies. Forecast calls for snow but it could just as well be rain. Hoping for snow as it will help in getting the shanties off the ice. Rain might make for a few problems. I think it is going to be a long spring. As I sit here in the den of the cabin I can look out the patio windows down the hill to the frozen waters of Lake Iwanttobethere. Looking the other way I can see my side yard through the picture window and all I see are brown dry leaves and grass. A few patches of snow under the Pines. It is only the end of February and we have a few months before things start to green up. We have 20 plus inches of ice on the lake and that is going to take awhile to melt. So even though the urge will be great to get out pan fishing the ice may not let us.

Sitting here I know I could pull up the honey do list and I am sure it has grown since the last time I looked at it. But I would rather just lean back in the chair here and look at the pictures on the wall. I have but a few fish mounts a Bass and Walleye. Back when I was catching all of them big ones I had no money for mounts, and now that I have the money I prefer to have them swimming then hanging. But I do try and take pictures, this year I am going to try and get more of them up on the walls. At the deer shack we have a entire wall devoted to past camps and our wall of fame. Here at the cabin we have the living room with all the kids and grand kids, the wedding pictures and some art work of the daughter. Pretty much the wife's domain. But inside the den I have pictures of fishing trips and fishing partners. Dogs and puppies, sunsets and sunrises. A mange wolf and the scowl of an Eagle looking down at me. Three very surprised geese, wings flared as they tried to land in my boat. A big racked moose with a salad hanging from his rack. Pretty easy to just lean back in the chair and gaze at a picture and get lost in the photo. Need more of them photos hanging up. Can always use more of them memories hanging around. Little pictures are fine but them 8x10's on the wall where all can see are the best. I have friends come over and we grab a beer and walk in the den, In a few minutes we are reliving a picture on the wall as every picture has a story behind it and stories are meant to be told again and again.

Elmers garage is a collection of stories, I can't say I have the original idea because all I need to do to when I have time on my hands is go over and check on my neighbor Elmer. As soon as I make it inside his garage I will find him working on something or someone else is there and they are talking of the good old days. Elmer taught me that the good old days are right now. My other neighbor Chuck, will be in there and the two of us are like little kids as Elmer tells us about his good old days. Reaching up into the garage rafters he will pull down an old fiberglass pole with tattered black braided line and tell us of the Northern that he caught after dragging his wooden row boat back into Spider lake. Here we complain about having to carry an alum canoe and in his days they were dragging wooden row boats up and over the ridges. How did they get to all the places they did I'll never know. Pulling down an old cardboard tube he pulls out hand drawn tattered lake maps, no GPS back in his day. We sip a beer and spread the maps out over the old wood work table. A couple of big sockets hold the edges down and we point to the map and Elmer recalls what he caught and the stories of the day are told. The afternoon soon disappears and we are brought back to the present when we hear the sound of my wife banging on the bell and I have to leave to go eat supper.

Looking out the patio window I sit here and can see the big bell bolted to the railing. My mother when we were young would bang on the bell letting everyone know that supper or lunch was ready. If everyone was needed back at the cabin the bell would be rung. My wife still does it if we are out of sight. I have been sitting in my old rowboat down in the bay and as soon as I hear that sound of the bell echoing over the water I pull up anchor and head in. Guess we are trained that way because with in a few minutes Elmer and Chuck will both be at the back door looking for desert..

So like Elmer I am getting old enough to remember the good old days, As I get older I have stories to tell and more stories to make. So I think I'll go out and take some pictures. This winter might make a pretty good story twenty years down the road.. From the frozen water of Lake Iwanttobethere.. (9494)

Before the storm- Well if you listen to all them young kids on the TV we are going to get a winter storm, Finally.. Depending on what part of the lake you are on we might get a dusting or as much as 14 inches of white stuff. Winds may be an issue as that will be blowing things around and make a few drifts I would imagine. Glad I already have my shanty off and back in the yard, secure up against the Pine I still have to unload it but it is off the ice. There has been a flurry of activity down at the access as shanties have been coming off last evening and again this morning. No one wants to get caught in a snow storm trying to pull a shanty out of the ice.

Gas-N-Go has been a busy little place today also as people are coming in to top off gas cans and fill up sleds and four wheelers. If we get any snow at all the streets will be buzzing with the sound of sleds. I topped off the tank in the jeep and filled a can for the snow blower. Have not even started that this winter so I suppose that is something I should do. But then again I just might sit on the swing and watch it snow. Sooner or later it is all just going to melt. Earl at the general store has his rack of snow shovels out on the front porch. Even a few bags of ice melt. Looks more like what a general store should look like in the dead of winter. Ma and Pa's grocery store is always busy when a threat of snow is announced. You can hear the bell on the door jingling away each time it is opened. If the town has a pulse I would say that it just picked up a few beats. Maybe winter has arrived at the lake and everyone will forget about spring and enjoy a good snowfall and be reminded of what shoveling snow is. Mark will now find out how is new mini-van mail truck goes in the snow. I am sure Frank has his plow truck ready to go, He was just at the Dew Drop talking about taking the vee blade off yesterday.

I ran into Elmer at the Glowing Embers cigar shop, We stood looking out the window of the shop and the activity on the street. "You would think we had a storm coming "Elmer said. Shaking his head he tugged on his cap and went out the door. I picked up a few of my cigars and followed him out a moment later. Driving home I looked at the bare roadway and the brown woods and the only thing white and clean looking is Lake Iwanttobethere through the trees. Would be nice to have everything white, certainly can use the moisture. Well I am going to go out and fire up the snow blower, never said I was stupid. I am all ready for this big storm.. I have cigars, I got dog food and I picked up a bag of butterscotch buttons. I am sure that I can wander over to Elmers and we can stand in the garage doorway and he can tell me stories of what a real snow storm is like. From Lake Iwanttobethere enjoy the weather..(9549)

well with the end of the season, for icehouses anyways, and with all the warnings about all the big snows that were on there way. i did pull off my sleeper thursday morning. had quite a bit of standing water on the ice when i got out there on wednesday after i left work. it has been a pleasurable 6 weeks out on lakeiwanttobethere. but it has also become the time for me to reaquaint myself with my bed at home, and of course my cats. i can tell they have missed my presence since the start of icefishing season. i am like a big metal object and they have been my magnets. why as soon as i sit down bam they are there. funny thing is i dont even have to pet them, they just want a warm lap or, im my siameese's case a shoulder to nap on. but ya know i aint complainin'. i have to admit that as comfy as my icehouse is my easy chair has welcomed my return home as well.

seems the weather peoples kinda hit it on the snowfall this goaround. the shop was very busy with lots of smileing snowmobilers today. as i do believe we got a bit over a foot near us. and this week i expect the pos terminal that we use for the fishing and hunting liscenses will be busy printing out the new 07 shelter tags and fishing liscenses.

i bought mine last eve while i was at the shop as i want to be totally ready for the big catfishing event on this upcoming saturday. i have already been going thru the tackle box and prepping lines for the event. it promises to be alot of fun and will also be nice to see friends and meet some new ones.

i am already looking forward to next year and once again spending my nights on the ice, but i will spend plenty of hours out on the ice before it has again turned back into soft water. it will be but a few brief weeks and i will have to get out the catamaran. and spend some times sailing on the plesant waters of the lake. and the spring bite of the blue gills. the call to the lake sometimes takes its toll as it tugs on my heart strings. i do look forward to the day when i can spend more hours there. as i am truely at peace there. welll i hope all of you get your houses off the lake with no problems. and that you have gained some memories of a great season. may the sounds you fall to sleep to be those of gentle waters rolling up onto a rocky shoreline, and loons singing. see you at the lake. ... paul

Between storms- Well the first real snow hit here over three days and left behind about 15 inches of white stuff. Very welcomed by all the business in town and of course the answer to a lot of people who with the removal of shanties from the lake were looking at a long spring. We now have snow to ride and play on. It looks so much better with everything clean again. The moisture that we will get as run off will help also. Just as we were sitting in the Dew Drop saying that we need more we have another storm coming down the pipeline and this one may give us 2 feet!!

I started the snow blower up and it cranked over on the first pull. Ran like a top and I was strutting at the Lodge as other were complaining of machines that would not start or belts broke. Of course the next day when I went to start it again it was a big pain and I had to fiddle some with it and then remember that I did have on my do to list replacing that friction plate in there because after awhile it did not want to move and it is no fun pushing that thing. I put my dozer blade on my lawn tractor and finished up. Scraping the driveway right down to the gravel and with a little sunshine it is all clean waiting for the next snow. Of course that is when I made my mistake as I turned it off in Elmers garage and when I went to restart I fried the gear on the starter. You think the snow blower is a pain to push try pushing the tractor back to the garage. Del was out with his truck and he gave me some help. He put the truck blade up against the tractor blade and pushed me backwards to my driveway and down to the garage, Went pretty good till I started to go sideways and could not turn back quick enough. As I left the tractor I was thinking it was good that I had already made nice piles along the side of the drive. I landed on my back in the snow. It was deep enough to cushion the fall. We hand pushed the tractor the rest of the way.

As snow falls go it was not a real big deal, windy and a few decent size drifts but since we hardly had any snow on the ground it looked bigger then it was. Now we have snow piles along the sidewalk in town and you see boots being stomped at doorways. Looks like winter, and that is good. Looks like winter has happen all in the last 6 weeks. A month of cold temps and now some snow. Hope Spring is wet and we do need the water and fishing is still months away. I have a few little lakes that water would sure add in launching the Puddle Humper. Not to mention I need water in my little bay so Mr. Big will be able to return to his lair. I have been thinking of doing some hand to hand combat with him this season. I think I will be able to wade in after him and if the water level is just right I may try that tactic.

Lodge was busy during the snow storm as people were pulling off their houses and the stopping in to warm up and dry off. Of course we had sleds and four wheelers out riding. Some people need just a slight dusting for an excuse to go riding. We had 15 inches of good stuff.. No melting going on either, with this new snow coming we might have a few weeks of good riding if it does not warm up to much. Lake will get slushy fast so fishing might not be so good. Well I am off to Earl's have to see if he has my starter gear in stock otherwise it is over to Dug's and dig through his bone yard. I can see an afternoon in the tool shed and a cigar burning for tomorrow afternoon. With luck I will be back up and running just in time for the snowfall. From a Christmas like landscape enjoy the weather. From Lake Iwanttobethere. (9658)

During the storm- Kind of dark in here, the cabin that is. My deck windows are covered in wind blown snow and even with the shades wide open there is not much light coming through. A few windows that I have plastic covered on the inside are billowed as the wind is howling outside. My home weather station says I have been getting gusts up to 50 mph. Even for Elmer this might rank as a real winter storm. Of course looking out the other side I can see my deck is clear of snow but I can see the swirling winds outside. My wood pile outside the door is clear of snow and the wood box inside is full. I was out just a little while ago and brought wood in. Bud and Barney spent some time running in the snow as like little kids this is a great time for them. Of course I will have to say the same thing as I did not have to go outside but what the heck. When you go out and pay good money for good gear you need to make sure it works.

I came back inside and start peeling off my parka and hat, dropping snow all over the floor. The boys who also were covered in snow, We shook off and the wife just stood with hands on her hips and shook her head at me. Muttering something about having three little kids in her house. After drying off my face with a towel and a quick brushing off of the dogs we warmed ourselves in front of the fire. Looks like this is just the start of the "Good" snowfall that is coming. Should be interesting come morning as we are looking at maybe another 12 inches of snow and this wind is going to make some interesting drifts. I did spend some time inside the greenhouse. During the summer I will go inside the greenhouse to watch thunderstorms from. Gives you a clear view of lightning and you of course stay dry. Today I lit a cigar and watched the trees swaying from the strong winds. I know I said some snow would be good for us here at Lake Iwanttobethere and I will not back away from that. I just look at that snow falling and in a few weeks it will be water running down the hillside into the lake where it is much needed.

I have been in touch with the Lodge and Hammering Hank is down there and has decided that he is not leaving. A few other Lodge members have decide to spent the night there. I think some have planned it that way they will not have to be at home. Hank did ask where the extra poker chips are kept so I think I am missing out on an all night game. Frank the plow driver was seen going through town but even he said he was going to park it pretty soon and get a early start in the morning. I can't really see down into town as it is just pretty much a white out right now. I will get dressed up later and will go out and check on things around the cabin. Need to make sure the Puddle Humper has her tarp secure and also check the shed doors. One was open the last storm and that was a pain having to get that wind blown snow out of it. What can I say, just like a little kid, a little walk out in the storm is a good thing.

Already made the phone calls to all the kids, everyone is all hunkered in and ready to wait out the storm. For the grand kids it it will be an adventure. A extra day off from school and a chance to play outside if mom will let them. Looks like everyone has the day off from work tomorrow so I will not worrying about kids making it to and from work. If they go out and play well that is up to them to get back home. I could just make out Elmer next door waving at me from his kitchen window. Will have to go over and say hi later and I am sure we will share a cigar and some good winter stories. From Lake Iwanttobethere hold on to you hat.. (9710)