• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Explain your name...

Bobby Bass

Mine is short for Big Money. It comes from the saying from a certain lumberyard I worked at in high school, "Save big money at ......."

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bobby Bass

• PierBridge

• sachem longrifle

• pascooter94

The sandman in my name comes from a short movie I made when my band and I were on the road. Just a fun film called, of course, Sandman where I played a creapy dead guy that hacked up the groupies that followed us around. The nd part is cause I'm from North Dakota.

I think mine is self-explanatory - just moved to Hudson, just started fishing... I guess at some point, I'll no longer be a NewBee but I still have a long way to go to get to that point!

"Meat-Run"

Well I stold this one from a room mate of mine in college. We called him Meat-Run because he didn't believe in catch n release and was always filling up his bucket. So started calling him meat run because he was always out for the "meat" and not just for the sport of it.

mr

I have to say I stole this one as well. I saw a t-shirt once with a crappie on it and it said I have a crappie attitude. I thought that it was pretty funny, and I feel that the name fits, because I predominately fish for craps. So I guess I do have a CrappieAttitude. Plus my initials are CA.

Mine is kind of an intersting story... I didn't get hardcore into fishing until the spring of 2000. (Long story about a broken home and no Dad to teach me how to fish blah-blah-blah.)

One day I just decided that I was going to be a fisherman... Bought some tackle and a rod, and just started tossing hours at the water.

I started out only being able to shore fish along the banks of the Mississippi and Sauk River.

In those days I was just targeting whatever would bite my hook/lure...

One fine Memorial Weekend Saturday I went out to this stretch where a resevoir lake poured into a river... There was a long stretch of rip-rap which had a cement shoreline about 100 yards long...

My Buddy and I got there, I walked up and found a 5 of diamonds spoon... I clicked the spoon onto my swivel, and cast out... First cast... Got a big hit... Reeled it up after a titanic fight, to find a 20 inch walleye!

Boy did we celebrate!

So I kept him... Problem was, he was WAY to big for the bucket I brought. And I didn't want him to die on the shore line with what was planned to be an 8 hour day ahead of me.

A little creative thinking later, and I tied him onto this long 12 foot stringer I had in my tacklebox... But there was no where to tie the fish to... So I tied him to the long stringer and tied it to my ankle and put him back in the water.

I spent all day working that concrete topped rip rap... With a magnificent 20" Walleye tied to my ankle. Not a bite the whole rest of the day!

I spent the day with him... Even named him "Buttons"... Jet Skiers would come by and razz us, and I would pull him in... Eventually he even figured out that it was better to move with me, than it was to be dragged by the face whenever I walked... But if something spooked him, he would bolt the other direction, and I would have to step awkwardly to keep from tripping on the stringer rope.

That night we went back to my place for a couple of beers and to eat "Buttons"... Boy I tell you, after a day with a Walleye strapped to your leg, and naming it... You get a kind of respect for it that makes it almost impossible to clean and eat him...

Note... I said Almost...

My Alcoholic Uncle was in town and popped in for a visit and to have a few too many...

He gets drunk and tells the story about how we've all got a little Lakota Sioux in us, from the days when my great-whatever-grandfather was a trapper and took a Lakota wife.

The next day my buddy and I went back to the same stretch of Rip-Rap... I clicked that same five of diamonds onto my swivel... On the second cast... BOOM... another Walleye... This time 17.5 inches...

Same Problem... Doesn't fit in the bucket...

So I tied him to my ankle, and named him Sprinkles. Because "In Death a member of Project Walleye has a name!"

-Fight Club Rip-off.

Same thing... Spent the rest of the day skunked... Though my buddy caught a crappie near me, and as he reeled it up the Crappie saw the walleye and bolted... Walleye freaked as well for some reason, and bolted the other way, nearly tripping me mid step... I stumbled over a jut in the rip rap, and had to do some "Fancy Steppin" to keep from tumbling into the water...

My Buddy breaks out laughing, and says "Your Indian Name should be Dances with Walleye."

From that point on my Walleye Obsession began... I skipped right over that bass obsession that most rookie anglers go through...

Flash forward 7 years, and I own a boat, keep a scientific, and storytelling journal recording data, patterns, walleye year classes, stocking reports, and toss anywhere from 250 to 400 hours a year at the water.

Like the name says, I was Born To Fish...or was it I was born to a family of walleye? Either way my life is fishing and fishing is my life.

It was either this or T-Bone, Holmer, or Holmslice, but I decided to leave the nicknames at bay.

Exactly as my name implies, I just can't find enough time to fish. With family and work it's hard to find the time. You could also take it as, there is no such thing as fishing too much. smile.gif

mainly fish for walleyes out of my warrior thusly eyewarrior. Now I see there is an eye[space}warrior on the site. Oh well, I am getting a ranger boat this year so I'll probably change it to eyeranger anyway. Either way both have a double meaning.

I have the user name of EyeSlayer on some other forums that I joined many years ago when I targeted walleyes. Then one day a cheesehead friend of mine convinced me to target muskie instead of eyes on Mille Lacs. All it took was one explosion on a Jackpot and I've never looked back. The Slayer is just a carryover from the old name. CPR!!!

Vermilion for my favorite lake. Fox, my last name. Also a play on words vermilion (red) fox.

When I bought my boat this past summer, I kept trying to come up with a good name for it. I even searched around on the internet looking for a good name.

I came across Water Hazard and with my interests in golf and fishing thought it was a good combination.

I bounced the idea off of my wife and family and didn't get a lot of positive reinforcement, so I chose it as a username instead.

I still haven't officially picked a name for the boat, but I am leaning towards Fish On.

hmmm....well I'm 6'5" and got up to 340, and my name is Wade and my last name starts with an S..thus the BigWadeS

Used to live on Ude Lake....I've fished under the Pierbridge

....have you ever fished at Ude?????

the nickname kaz was put on me by softball teammates after carl (yaz)stremski from the boston red sox since my first name is also karl 2611 came from jersey numbers i wore

I live in the USA...and uh...well I never use jigsticks, so I gues I better flush this name.

Actually, it was the furthest thing away from Pro Crappie Guide in "Webster's Collegiate Guide to Picking a Good Name"

One morning out duck hunting with a few buddies, a nice flock of mallards come in to our spread from the left. A few shots were fired and a couple of greenheads fold up nicely. From a distance we hear our buddy on the extreme right edge of the spread, at least 50 yds. from where the ducks hit the water, proudly and loudly proclaim "I got'em!". Well, the rest of us had a good laugh on his behalf as we knew there was no way he even touched those birds. Well of course for the rest of the day "I got'em" was yelled out whenever a bird was shot, regardless if you fired or not.

From that day on, whenever I talk to any of my buddies and ask how's fishing or hunting has been, their reply will simply be "I got'em".

Back in the day:

My instructor at HTC laser tech school was referred to as "Zap" by other electronics instructors for his propensity to "accidently" blow things up (I think he was providing real world repair experience for his students wink.gif)

and, since I've been known to over-do the amperage on a few devices, I just doubled up on the Z's and P's

Mine has nothing to do with fishing but there is somebody by Grand Rapids with the name Orlip & Zwabel. So after a few pops, ya that's it pops. My friend and I started calling each other by those names. As you see I got Orlip. That was over 20 years ago.

Many years back the wife and I were fishing the Crow Wing chain up by Park Rapids. We were trolling for pike, and just for kicks, I put a Daredevle Huskiedevle spoon on her line. That big ole spoon got bit by a huge gator that we never got in the boat.That lure name came to mind when I registered.

Always appreciated my Scandinavian heritage and since I was the only brother out of 4 never nicknamed "pete" just decided to go with it.

I like to write...I do so for several publications like Outdoor News and MN Sportsman. I also write PR stuff for several major outdoors businesses. A few years ago I decided to turn all my side jobs into an official business and my wife came up with the name WriteOutdoors. It was better than anything I came up with and it stuck! Now the business is soaring to new heights and things are going great!

Where can you find me? I'm WriteOutdoors!

I enjoy reading. Many years ago, I read the book and later saw the movie, "The Last of the Mohicans." Hawkeye was called by the Huron Cheif "LongRifle" because his rifle, "Killdeer," was as tall as him. The book talks of the Huron Leader as"the great sachem." I hunt with a Kentucky longrifle with real BP and a patched leadball, inspired to do such by the movie, so I took the two names. And don't believe the stories in outdoor mags that a patched ball cannot kill a deer