• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Personal Goals

sdstate

With a few weeks of the pheasant season already under the belt, how is everyone doing on their personal goals? What is the goal for the year and how are you doing on it? Here in SW Minnesota, I have been hunting exclusively public land and have been doing very well. The two labs I have are doing great also and they are getting up a lot of birds. My personal goal is 70 for the year and i have a good chunk out of it already. And before anyone accuses me of over my possesion limit, I have a lot of friends and family that like pheasants. So how is everyone else doing? wink.gif

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CaptainMusky

• bigeyes

• sdstate

• CodyDawg

Well my goal was going to be 10, now it is 15 with the recent success I've been having and the football season being cut short. I can only get out once or maybe 2 times a week with school and work, right now I'm at 5. Still haven't missed yet but that is bound to come crashing down pretty soon.

sdstate, 70 Pheasants??? Now wouldn't that be over your possesion limit??

Just Couldn't resist!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

My Personal goal is 15 and I have only been out a couple times and killed three birds, in areas surrounded by corn, so when the corn gets out it should only get better.

With only being able too hunt weekends at best and with also putting time toward bowhunting i was hoping too have about 20 birds shot over my shorthair this season. I dont care if i shoot them or if whomever im with gets them, I just love seeing my dog stick roosters. With about 2 1/2 hours of bird hunting too date we've shot 5 over him. It would be double that but one of the best chunks i hunt butts up too I-90 and opening day 3 of us stood there as my dog was pointing and i walked up on him only too have a group of 6 roosters get up and fly directly in between us and I-90 and we couldnt shoot. Same thing happened yesterday with 3 roosters. Next weekend we'll get the slug season out of the way and then its pheasant hunting from here on out. So im thinking i'll probably surpass the 20 birds shot over my dog for the year.

My goal this year isn't how many birds I can get, it's to get my GSP plenty of experience. He's a little over a year old and pretty rough around the edges. Not his fault, he's a good dog. To my shame it's my own darn fault for not spending the time I've needed to spend working with him.

10 birds or 100 birds, either way I'm cool. I just wanna get out with the dog more.

My personal goals for pheasant hunting are more centered around good dog work and not losing cripples than total bag. I've been doing better this year than last in those categories. Shooting a true double is something I always like to try and do. I got one this year, but it was off a wild flush. I'm hoping to have an opportunity off a point.

I hunt in 4 states multiple times a season and tend to hit it pretty hard. I'm sitting at 30 birds so far this season and with my two buddies we've taken 81 as a group. If the weather holds off and my later trips are as good as the early ones are I could make it into the 80-90 bird range. I think my personal goals will be to lower the number of shots fired to birds in the bag and hold the lost cripples number down there to less than 10 for the year. Opening up my choke and not shooting at distant birds has really lowered my losses. It doesn't hurt that my dog has really picked up his game on trailing runners.

Have you lost any yet hubercita? That is one of the best goals that i have heard so far, I have now made it one of mine as well, but for me and the number of birds I shoot my goal is not to loose one.

I've lost two so far. One was the first bird of the season over my pup. I got ahead of myself and shot too quick. I wingtipped the bird and it fell before I could get a second shot on it. It was inside 25 yards and the dog was on the fall sight in an instant, unfortunately there were so many birds in the area the dog just never got on the track of that particular bird. Even with some help from my buddies and their more veteran dogs spending considerable time, we couldn't come up with it.

The second bird I probably should have just watched fly off. I knew it was a bit far for the improved cylinder barrel of my twelve at a hair past 35 yards, but I was banking on the cut field I flushed the bird into making for an easy retrieve if the bird didn't come down graveyard dead. Despite my best efforts at reigning myself in, some times my confidence proves too much for my actual abilities and murphy's law. I guess it's not really a goal if it's not something I have to work at.

This year part of my increased success is due to telling myself to just forget about those fringe birds. The twinge I get from telling myself, "I probably could have got that one" doesn't last as long as the guilt I feel after I lose a cripple and tell myself, "You (Contact US Regarding This Word)....you should have let that one fly".

I think with the natural toughness of pheasants in general combined with the areas I hunt and the numbers I take in a season I'll probably always lose a few. If I ever hit that perfect season on cripples you can bet everyone will have to listen to me talk about it.

I AM NOT TRYING TO START A HUGE ARGUEMENT HERE, BUT.....

WHAT IS WITH THE HIGH GOALS?? I MEAN 70 BIRDS (BY YOURSELF)IS QUITE A FEW BIRDS IN 1 SEASON AND IF YOU DO SHOOT THAT MANY IS IT FOR BRAGGING RIGHTS OR WHAT? WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO GOING OUT AND SHOOTING WHAT YOU CAN EAT AND MAYBE A COUPLE OCCATIONS A YEAR GOING ON THAT TRIP WITH A FEW GUYS AND GETTING YOUR POSESSION LIMIT. I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY SOME PEOPLE HAVE TO SHOOT ENOUGH PHEASANTS FOR THEIR DAD'S/UNCLES/GRANDMAS/COUSINS/NEPHEWS/BROTHERS/DAUGHTER WHILE SHOOTING THEM FOR EVERYONE ELSE THAT WAS ALONG THE LINE!

I MEAN DON'T GET ME WRONG I GO AND SHOOT PHEASANTS EACH YEAR (ALMOST EVERY WEEKEND) AND YES I DO GET A FEW HERE AND THERE AND I TAKE SOME TRIPS ALSO WHERE WE DO QUITE WELL, BUT I STILL COME NOWHERE CLOSE TO 70 A YEAR AND EVEN IF I DID I DON'T THINK I WOULD BE PUTTING IT IN THE PAPER OR HANGING FLYERS TO ADVERTISE.

YES THE POPULATION IS UP, YES YOU LIVE IN A GREAT PHEASANT STATE BUT IF EVERYONE DESIDES THEY ARE GOING TO SHOOT 70 BIRDS A YEAR SOON THEY AREN'T GOING TO AROUND LIKE THEY ARE NOW. JUST MY FEELINGS

You'd have to hunt almost %50 of the 77 day pheasant season! Hey if you can get out 35 times this season, good for you, but don't go out fill everyone's freezer, just because you can. It took years to reach the populations we have this year, don't abuse it!

It has been said that Hunters and Fishermen were the first Conservationist.........something to think about.

Otherwise maybe rethink your idea of bragging about going after such a large # of birds to the puplic.

I'll have to agree with you on this one. My "goal", (if I have one), is to make clean kills, enjoy watching my dog, and having a good time with my hunting pals. When I was younger, I used to get all "gun-ho" about getting my limit, but that has subsided, and I now realize that it is the hunting experience that I value, not my bag limit. Just my 2 cents.

Hey " OUTDOORNUT"... That's a nice fish you are holding, do you ever take it over any sweet jumps:)

I am trying to put 70 birds in a season into perspective. The season started October 15th and goes until Jan 1st for both SD and Mn. (thats 12 weekends or 24 days) lets say if you only hunted weekends Saturdays and Sunday only. If you shot your limit of 3 roosters a day(SD) that would put you at 72 for the year. Seems practical in my opinion.

However, that would seem kind of tough to do, not because lack of birds etc, I just dont know anyone that is lucky enough to be able to get out that much, if you are, your one lucky guy lol.

It would be even tougher if you hunted minnesota with only 2 birds a day.

Also if someone shoots 70 birds in a year. There is nothing unlawful about it as long as its done legally. Would I do it? probably not, its not the reason I hunt pheasants. But I wouldnt say anything bad about it, beacause its completely in their right to do so.

My goal is to get my two birds each time I go out. Depends on good dog work, no lost birds and good shooting. Came close two years ago but I missed an easy straight away at shooting light on the last day. Made 16 out of 17 trips with 2 birds that year, about half those days we were done by noon.

Have not hunted MN yet this year, have 15 from NoDak.

I agree that 70 birds is excessive and real close to "game-hog" numbers which I don't condone. Also, I agree that most of that comes from guys trying to stroke their egos and bragging about big numbers.

My goals are the same as most years with a new couple do to having a youngster (actually a young hunter and a young dog) along.

1. Be safe. 2. Have fun. 3. Shoot some roosters for the table. 4. Enjoy the old dog's work in his last few years and progress the new one along. 5. Get the youngster his first bird (ALREADY ACHIEVED THIS ONE ON OPENER grin.gif)

I guess I don't think 70 birds is all that unusual a number for a guy living in good parts of North or South Dakota who is nuts about pheasant hunting. If you hunted hard on the weekends and got out a few nights a week to hunt after work and threw in a few days off plus holidays you get there pretty easy. Not to mention that neither state has a law on the books concerning party hunting for pheasants and many times it's accepted practice to shoot whats in front of you as long as you stay within the groups legal limit for the day. Many times it's tough to tell who shot what anyway. I've hunted with some farmers who got a bit surly when I tried to trade my gun for my camera when I had reached my personal limit. They don't do a lot of shooting and like to have somone who can bang backing them up. Minnesota itself specifically permits party hunting for pheasants in the regulations.

If I stay carefully within the total posession laws that my licenses allow, eat all the birds myself (minus what I give to farmers who sometimes ask for cleaned birds in exchange for hunting their land) I don't see any problems. It's not as if I'm going to one specific area and shooting out a farm. I hunt several different areas and spread my hunting around.

Actually, studies have shown that hunting rooster pheasants has no negative effect on pheasant densities. It actually improves numbers in many cases because roosters kick hens out of prime nesting cover in late winter. I've seen it happen personally. When the roosters numbers are thinned down there are better winter roosting areas for the hens and a more ample food supply. Don't take my word for it. Look at studies on the net done by the game departments.

If I couldn't personally eat the animals I took I probably wouldn't take as many. But as long as I'm using what I take and following the game laws what is the problem?

I'm not strictly focused on taking limits, but limits are about the only thing that shags me out of the field. I don't care if it's cold or snowing or I'm not seeing birds, when I come to hunt I stay out as long possible. When I get tired and cold I think about what I'd trade for that half hour come march when I'm sitting on my duff. When I take hunting trips you won't catch me staying late at the bar or cutting out before last light to go watch strippers. I come to hunt. If I want to fool around with my buddies it's much cheaper to save on the license and gas and just stay home.

Good post Harpoon. I am glad you had the ba@^s to say it. Not sure why we need a numbers goal and I also thing that is bordering on "game hog" I maybe get out a half dozen times each year and really enjoy being out and getting off my fat arse. If I get a bird or two that is a bonus. Sure would hate to see this great pheasant population get hurt. For years we never saw any birds at my pops farm in Alex area, now we jump 5-10 every time we hunt.

this can of worms could be debated all day. Its no different then keeping your limit in fish. People may not agree with someone going out catching and taking their limit of walleye everytime they go out.

I dont condone taking that many birds myself, but if somebody bought a license, and they want to take that many birds, who are we to judge anyone if it's in their LEGAL right to do so.

Personal Goal:

To beat this darn health problem I have so I can get back into the field and water and enjoy the only true sports in this world, hunting and fishing.

take it easy there buddy, just trying to have a logical debate.

If you go back and reread my post again you will clearly see that I personally DONT aprove of taking 70 pheasant a year.

I simply stated that there is nothing against the law saying you can't take 70 pheasants a year. Not trying to justify anything. To each his own right?

If you have a logical reason as to why it shouldnt be done, with the exception of your own opinion, or how its bad for bird population please share with us, I am sure we would all be willing to hear it.

By the way you can still get a point across with out typing in all caps.

MY BAD, THOUGHT YOUR ORIGINAL POST WAS SOMETHING DIFFERENT. DIDN'T GO BACK AND CHECK IT OUT. DIDN'T MEAN TO JUMP ON YOU LIKE THAT.

BY THE WAY I TYPE IN CAPS AT WORK SO JUST DON'T BOTHER TO TAKE THE LOCK OFF.

AS FAR AS YOUR LAST SENTENCE HERE

Quote:

If you have a logical reason as to why it shouldnt be done, with the exception of your own opinion, or how its bad for bird population please share with us

I THINK YOU CAN ANSWER THAT ONE YOURSELF.

Lets get this back on track, or it will have to get locked.

My personal goals. Get my kids excited about going out with Dad and dog. Have my pointer perform to my liking. Spend some time with people that I don't see other times of the year. And to hit more than I miss. smirk.gif

# trips out so far and I have accomplished a part of all of these already. And plenty more to come.

I guess I should have known better than to post actual numbers. The minute one guy says how many birds he shoots in a season anyone who has takes less thinks he's a game hog and anyone who takes more thinks they are a better hunter.

I agree with many guys here that the emphasis shouldn't just be about how many birds you shoot. I guess where I'm different is that the fanatical pheasant hunters I know take some heady numbers of birds each year. They love to hunt pheasants more than the next guy and spend a lot more time off season scouting and hunting.

If you tell someone you shot X birds last year they think you are a game hog, but if you tell them you hunted upland birds 75 days last year they just think you are one lucky guy.

The basic premise of this thead makes me want to puke. I find it sad that a person feels compelled to set "personal goals" for hunting and the outdoor experience. It is hard for some older sportsmen to understand a lot of what is going on today; numbers take the place of the satisfacion of being out in the field; bow hunting that involves the use of "bows" that are more like Star Wars appliances and "muzzle loaders" that are only one step away from being a center fire rifle. What happend to the original challenges of hunting with a simple longbow and maybe an authentic muzzle loader-or even a reprodution, but a real, basic, simple muzzle loading weapon.

This whole touchy-feeley, get in touch with my inner self, personl best shooting goals stuff is, to say the least, difficulr for us old guys to cope with, try as we might. I've had three wonderful days with my new little Lab pup so far this fall and I've taken one bird. And I've met my goal every trip.

Relax.Life is shorter than you think.

I have no problem with anyone shooting however many birds as long as they do it legally and stay within their possession limit and distribute the rest in a legal fashion as well. It is not uncommon in SoDak or even Ia to be well above 50 birds for a hardcore hunter. I'd love the opportunity to be able to hunt that much. Of course I'd need another dog or two, another gun, more eCollars... wink.gif Sigh... A guy can dream.

I've never really had a body count goal although I don't begrudge those that do. I've kinda progressed beyond that though. There's so much more to the hunting experience than a limit of birds. I do have a no missed birds goal which I've never met. I missed one bird on the final day of the Ia season one year. Boy was I unhappy.

Other than that, it's about getting my dog into birds and having fun in a responsible and legal manner. Basically it's about the dog and the outdoors experience for me. I've said before that I'd rather shoot 1 bird over a solid point then 5 any other way and I really mean that. Seeing a bird come out from in front of my dog's point and then bagging it if it's a rooster really stirs my drink.

If someone says on here they have a personal goal for how many birds too take for a season big deal. Just because they have a numbers goal like that doesnt mean thats their whole reason for hunting. Some of you guys climb all over someone for setting a number and its not right. I hope too shoot 20 birds over my dog this year and the main reason is if i get 20 birds it means i got out alot this season and my dog got a lot of work this season. And if i get 20 roosters he probably pointed double as many hens that i got too step in on and get that awesome rush. And like i said i dont care if im the one too shoot those birds, if whomever im with gets them great! I set a goal of catching 200 walleyes ever year. I hardly keep any, but man if i can catch that many than i've had a lot of time on the water and you cant beat sitting on a lake in summer. If someone sets a goal too shoot a 130" buck this weekend and he doesnt get it, that doesnt mean that the weekend wasnt enjoyable. A guy writes something on here and people have too go assuming things and you cant do that.

OK some of you were right, it was probaly a stupid post to write about. But if any of you knew me, you would know how much i love to pheasant hunt and enjoy the overall experience. I spend all summer getting my dogs ready and spend more time with them in the fall than i do with my friends. I dont even have time to party in the fall because i am so beat from hunting all day. Its not like i am leasing off land and shooting a bunch of easy birds. I am out there just like everyone else and work for my birds. And i enjoy every time that my two labs (who i paid for myself and spent months and years training) get birdy and get up a rooster in cattails and i make a clean shot on him. And as far as being legal, I am going to school in SDSU to be a wildlife biologist and any kind of wildlife infraction would not look good on any resume. So if i have the opportunity to shoot 70 birds i am going to take it. And i would guess that many of you would shoot this many if you were presented with the same opportunity. When i am 50 years old and only able to get 10 roosters a year i will look back in this time of my life and feel lucky. Anyone who wants to go hunting with me, i am always looking for new hunting partners.

I know guys in MN that claim over 100 birds per year. They admit they are rooster hunting junkies. The only thing I take exception with is the shooting birds for other guys in the party. I know there are days when one person is in the right spot most of the day, but I think the opportunities can be spread out with a little thought. Who cares if they miss one, or three for that matter. When they do harvest that bird, it will be more fun for everyone, especially if its one of the kids, ( I know we all agree on that count).

Oh yeah, I think there are quite a few 50 year olds that MIGHT be able to bag more than 10 long tails in a whole season.

"And i would guess that many of you would shoot this many if you were presented with the same opportunity."

No, I wouldn't shoot that many.

Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should. I know pheasant management is a different situation, but by comparison we used to be able to keep 100 perch a day. People were filling out daily and filling buckets with these tasty morsels. This decimated the population and now the daily limits have been reduced dramatically. This is an example where a little common sense and some conservation mean volumes.

I don't mean to say you are single handedly destroying the pheasant population because you are not, but just because you have the chance to harvest them doesn't make it ethical.

My $.02.