• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Upper Red Lake Slabfest 2006!!

hanson

iceman16-

Unfortunately, you aren't going to be able to get a motel that will allow you to snowmobile onto the lake from. There just aren't any that are close. The Royal Shooks Motel in Shooks, MN is the closest motel I believe and that is still about 15 miles from the lake. Blackduck also has a nice motel but that is even further from the lake.

There are many reasons folks rent sleeper shacks on URL but the motel situation is definitely one of them in my opinion.

Roger's Campground has a number of guides that operate sleeper shacks there. Most of the other resorts have sleeper house rentals as well and a few of them are quite active on FM here. Its a pretty easy snowmobile ride anywhere on the lake so it you happened to rent a shack from Kelly-P, it would be a quick ride to meet us down at Roger's. That is if Kelly doesn't move the pressure ridge so it becomes impossible to cross the lake that way. wink.gif

Boilerguy-

I'm going to twist your arm even harder to stay an extra day. We're going to have a good time up there!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hanson

• Eric Wettschreck

• iceman16

• Random guy

Hanson, what about staying in a hotel and driving to the lake and then unloading the sled and goin that way. are there resorts that wil let u do that. is there a access fee? what about gettin on public access? thanks for any info

iceman

iceman,

Absolutely you can do that. There are now about 7 places that have ice access with roads. You can access the ice (I believe it will be $8.00 this year) drive out on the ice and park your rig there and unload the sleds. Upper Red can end up with quite the maze of roads. Depending on snow conditions you can also baja cross country in your 4 x 4 vehicle to wherever you want to go (not recommended if unfamiliar with the lake, or in deep snow0 laugh.gif

i think thats what i will have to do. i just got a dakota with no 4 wheel drive. maybe by then i will upgrade to a 4x4 truck. i guess that could be a good reason to buy one cool.gif. i wouldnt mind paying the 8 bucks to get on, it would be well worth the money instead of gettin pulled off the lake. ill have to look closer to the slabfest to get road details and snow conditions. it would be alot more mobile to do it that was and just use the sled to get around. thanks for the info.

iceman

Hanson, No reason to twist my arm. Count me and the boys in, we're there. Looking for a hotel now to spend Saturday nite!!!

Acutally, I'm trying to set up a LOTW trip for Tues/Wed...Then to Kelly P's sleeper Thurs/Fri.....and the slab fest on Sat.

We're in!!!

Me and a couple other guys are going to plan on pulling the sleeper up for the event. Should be a good time!

Gawd I'm just giddy as a school girl now.

Feb 20,21,22 my boys and I will be on LOTW. Feb 23,24 we'll be in one of Kelly P's sleepers, Feb 25 at the slab fest with a hotel room reserved for that night. Fellas, I'm thinking it just don't get any better than this. Won't want to come home on Sunday.

It's mid November and I'm already pumped for that whole week!!!!!!

I"m very interested in coming but I've never done URL before. I want to know how I can find a place to stay near where the event is. Is there anyone with info like that? Namely who is Kelly P and does he have more for rent? grin.gif

I've been dreaming of doing URL for a couple years. I think I'm finally ready.

Powerstroke-

Well this sounds like the perfect opportunity then.

Kelly-P happens to be one of the moderators of the URL forum here. He also operates a good number of sleeper houses on upper red lake. You could put a post up in the URL forum here looking for Kelly-P or check out the WaskishMinnowStation website for contact info. I believe the address is www.waskishminnowstation.com.

You may have to call around to a number of the resorts and guides that have sleeper houses. If you don't want to stay on the lake, which you don't have to, there are a few hotels within a half hour to an hour drive of Upper Red that would work out for you just fine.

Typically... (and I mean typically but not always) the bite starts just before sundown and continues for a few hours. While this is not always the case, it is definitely a good plan. Most of the time, you don't even need to be on the ice before 3pm. But if you are, you may happen upon a school of biting crappies.

In the past, we've made the trip up from the cities and back in the same day. We'd leave about 9am, get to Red about 2:30 or so, fish til 7 or 8pm and pack up and head home to get back to the cities by 2am. It makes for a whirlwind trip but have been mighty succesful doing things that way.

Shoot me an e-mail if you need any additional info.

He's my evil twin brother. grin.gifgrin.gif Almost all of our weekends are filled up. Also I stay on the East/North side of the lake so you would be a ways away from the Slabfest at Roger's.

I will be there with a friend and my sleeper house for the weekend. please save some room for us LOL.

Cool to see you all are still working on this event.

Be fun to come on up.

My trouble is I got two hounds that go every place with me and it's tough to find lodging.

Cold in da truck as I aint 25 any more by half.

LOL

Guess a guy don't need to really sleep?

I see what the hounds say?

cool.gif

Tom

Chris-

I promise I wont go to LOTW this time and ditch you.

I will be there.

If any one needs to a place to crash, let me know.

MJ- you need a place?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I'm planning on being up there the weekend prior. Howver I'll try to making it up there even if only for the day. You guys are just so much fun to hang out with. Catching those Red Lake slabs are just a bonus! laugh.gif

Hanson-

shoot me an email when you get time.

If anyone needs to be paired up out there to get on some slabs, I am always of assistance. Would be no problem taking a few guys out for an afternoon of fun and gun.

I'll be there with a buddy, staying at the Drake Sat. night, and either fishing URL or LOW on Sun. too! It should be a blast. grin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else staying at the royal shooks that weekend? I think trouble 28 and myself will be there trying to honey comb the ice with auger holes.

• 2 weeks later...

I just made my reservations with Morts for a sleeper shack on friday and saturday nights. I'm so excited!!! I can't wait. I've never been to URL so I hope the fish are cooperating by then. SLabfest here I come!! grin.gif

i hope to be there sat night but I hate to miss that run at 3AM its so hard to pull away, but if you don't it is hard to get up in the morning. Who am I kidding i will have a couple naps during the after noon!

boilerguy would you be willing to let me know how you are doing sat at the shooks so me and the guys will have some more direction? I will do the same for you and all else that will be in the area!

Powerstroke-

You are going to have a blast. Fishing & Camping on the lake is what its all about.

Geeez... This weekend will be 3 weekends in a row for me up there. Hopefully we find a couple slabs this weekend. The walleyes have been pretty cooperative so far as well as some dandy perch but the slabs are MIA.

Not a problem. I'm not renting a house from them, I'm just renting a hotel room and hanging out on the lake in portables.

When I'm there I'll let everyone know if I'm on fish or not.

Hanson,

Couls you please send me some motel information?Pretty excited about comming up [email protected] .Thanks Little Perch1

P.S,

do not for get to us this _between_ the r in my email adress