• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Upper Red Lake Slabfest 2006!!

hanson

You heard it 1st here!!

Mark your calendars for Saturday, February 25, 2006 for the Upper Red Lake Slabfest!!

I would like to personally invite you to another great Get-Together! My main priority is to get a bunch of FM - IceLeaders folks, families, grandparents, and kids and share an afternoon & evening on the ice with them.

A couple of everyone's favorite events last winter were Cool Cats on the Horseshoe Chain, Backwater Brawl on the Mississippi River, and the Burntside Bash. This event will be no different. No entry fee, no contest, etc., etc.

We are basing the gathering out of Roger's Campground on the south shore of Upper Red Lake.

We will be meeting out on the ice at a location that is yet to be determined so stay tuned. Directions will be well marked at the time as well as GPS coordinates to the location if you prefer the "techy" approach. grin.gif

Meeting time is yet to be determined but will be early afternoon. We'll all meet up, possibly fry up some food on the ice, talk strategy, and head out to fish crappies for the sundown bite.

There will be a good number of FM Pro Staff attending so this is a great opportunity to show up and chat and fish with some of the guys you see online here.

If you've never fished URL before, this is the perfect opportunity.

If you want to spend the weekend, by all means go ahead! I'll be up there in my sleeper shack all weekend. It would be fun to get a little 'campground' of FMers for the weekend.

So to recap- URL Slabfest 06 is a go for Saturday, Feb. 25. Roger's Campground is the location. And crappies and Having Fun with other FMers is the name of the game!!

Stay tuned!!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hanson

• Eric Wettschreck

• iceman16

• Random guy

Can't wait! I will be on the ice for this one. I hate to go ice fishing but a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do. wink.gif

Count me in. I will bring my sleeper house and a bunch of people. I think Jimlovestrout will bring his sleeper also.

Hanson, Let me know if you need help hauling anything up. I will be leaving from Big Lake.

I can't wait to finally meet some of the Red Crew. tongue.gif

Does anybody find it odd that we are still over 4 months away and we're planning an ice fishing trip??

I know my winter gets to be so busy that I have to do it this way.

Good to have you aboard snowgoose! Just stay tuned to this post, the URL forum, or feel free to contact me through e-mail as well. I do make it up to URL quite often during the winter.

There are quite a few FM staff who are planning on attending already as well.

As time gets closer, I'll get a roll call going so we know who to be on the lookout for.

Quote:

Does anybody find it odd that we are still over 4 months away and we're planning an ice fishing trip??

I see nothing wrong with that, I'm already blocking out Fridays during full moons through March for three day weekend ice action. shocked.gif

I am excited it is later in the season. My wife is due in the beginning of Jan so I should get a free pass by than!

Count me in, I'll bring a sleeper as well and stay for the weekend, probably be up there by early afternoon on Friday. It seems we'll have our own little campground.

Sounds like fun to me.

Maybe have to camp out on the ice?

If I remember correclty their aint to many places to dig in for the night?

smile.gif

T.

Odd? No, I was wondering what took so long. I have been through a lot of crap the last couple years with personal stuff and haven't made it to these types of get togethers. I am hoping to make it to this. Sounds like fun. Looking forward to ice. [Note from admin: Remember it helps to please read forum policy before posting again]

Matt

This is an awesome response so far guys!!

We've got a long way to go but hopefully I can pull more details together as we go along. Honestly, there isn't too much to plan.

If you are coming up for the weekend, I'll let you know where my shack/headquarters is at and you can camp/fish nearby. (I can't guarantee the fish will be directly under us but I'll sure try to get us on a good area)

If you are coming up for the day, just meet us at the headquarters area for the fun, food, and fishing.

MuskyTom- It would most definitely be a privilege to have you join us. Maybe I could show you a thing or two about crappie fishing and you could give me a few muskie pointers. wink.gif

Matt Phelps- Would love to have you join in as well. Phelps jigs have honestly caught me more URL crappies than any other jig I own. Well, the Phelps Glow Tubes probably account for more with the Tick jigs following a close second.

Glad to hear that Chris. That is why I make them. Thanks for the feedback. Hope to meet you at the fest.

Matt Phelps

[Note from admin: please read forum policy before posting again]

Sounds like fun to me. I will be bringing whoever is up with me that weekend. I am assuming the 100 yard limit between fisherman will be relaxed a little, for the daylight hours anyway.

Quote:

I am assuming the 100 yard limit between fisherman will be relaxed a little, for the daylight hours anyway.

Yeah. I don't think you'll have to worry about that.

Ice is coming guys. A couple years back, there was 7-8 inches of good ice on Red over Thanksgiving weekend. Will we be out there in less than a month?

Aww yes, the Upper Red Lake Slabfest!!! This should be a very fun event! And my prediction... a lot of crappies will be caught! grin.gif And I'm sure a few people will tie into a pike of a lifetime while jigging for crappies as well, it's never seemed to fail in the past. An accidental 20 pound pike on crappie gear... it's truly a sight to be told!

Usually it's easy to pick out. All of a sudden you'll hear someone yell "Whoa!!!" in the distance. Followed by the squeal of someone's drag... But then again, I've seen that same reaction from someone reeling in an URL crappie too grin.gif

February 25... it's on my calender! smile.gif

Quote:

Glad to hear that Chris. That is why I make them. Thanks for the feedback. Hope to meet you at the fest.

Matt Phelps

phelpstackle.com

Hey Matt how have you been? havnt talked to you for quite some time. i started my own business so i have been pretty busy with that. maybe will have to get together and do some ice fishing this winter.

formerly field editor fish and game finder.

Jeff Knorr

Matt, you take care of those silly crappies and I'll run a perimeter protection circle for those troublesome pike! It will be a classic one two punch. grin.gif

maybe i can talk my dad into going. Never been to a slab fest sounds like its alot of fun. last year we went to red lake before the winni event. Hope i can make it up there sometime.

Sounds like a plan Jon! grin.gif

Joe,

It would be nice to see you and your dad again. I know the two of you put a whoppin on those URL slabs the same weekend your dad won the Winni event smile.gif Do I hear a repeat? wink.gif

O yeah i think i will be able to bug him enough to go up there. he will have a itch to catch some of those monster slabs again. We just need the luck of an eelpout on the end of one of our tip up lines. hahhaa lol smile.gif

fishkid-

Would be awesome to have you and your pa join us!! Your dad won the Winni event last winter, didn't he? If so, that Eelpout beat me out by a few pounds. grin.gif

Jon- I have no problem circling the wagons to protect the masses from circling piranah's, err.... pike. I honestly haven't caught a pike on URL in 2 years on ice fishing.

The last time I had a pike on, I was laid off from work and spent 5 days straight up there. I was jigging a Scenic Tackle Go-Devil tipped with a minnow head when I had a tap, tap and set the hook into something that went screaming off with my drag. Being in this situation many times before, I held my one rod between my knees while I reeled in my other line and then set out to fight the pesky pike. I had her on for 5 minutes and then boing!!! I reeled up and my crappie jig had a straightened out hook! Darn! I honestly thought I broke off but that was not the case.

I welcome everyone to attend the Slabfest, regardless of skill level. I don't care. The worst thing that will happen is you'll get to meet some guys who know alot about fishing Upper Red Lake and probably have a better fishing trip because of it. Feel free to ask questions? Ask for tips? Or I may even go fishing with you? Don't know yet...

Looks like a number of awesome fisherman already plan on attending so this looks like the "must attend" event of 2006 in my opinion.

You really can't go wrong- awesome company, awesome tips, having fun, socializing, as well as taking home a bucket full of delicious crappies.

Help build the excitement guys!!

Hanson Hanson Hanson...no pike in two years? To be honest with you crappies in my book are, well...ok. Those pike get me excited!

I am really looking forward to this event, I never thought a little comment "we should have a gathering" would lead to this. laugh.gif It should be a lot of fun with all sorts of fishermen and women from all levels getting together and sharing tips, stories (my favorite) and methods for catching some of those tremendous Upper Red Lake fish whether monster pike or those slap crappies that just seem to come out of the wood work. Like you said Hanson the worst that could happen is a good time on the ice.

Matt Phelps-You have to come to this one, after I was robbed I relized all my ice jigs/tackle boxes was part of the truckload of stuff they got out of my garage. So fill up your tackle box with those good jigs then just leave it laying on your tailgate...it'll be fine. shocked.gifgrin.gif

Nice to hear from you Jeff. I have been ok. Getting business back on track after a tough summer dealing with personal issues. Check out the website and email me from it, we'll talk.

Jon - Sorry to hear about the theft. You are not the only one who has told me their jigs were stolen. I guess the robbers know what works for fishing anyway. I will try to get enough made so I can "accidentally" leave some on the tailgate. Looking forward to the fest, and getting festive!

Matt Phelps

[Note from admin: please read forum policy before posting again]

count me in. i have never been to a gettogether before and would and also never been to URL. dont have a sleeper so where is a good motel thats close enough to ride my sled and portable from. cant wait for the ice guys, was up deer hunting north of orr last weekend and broke through some ice on my way to my treestand.

iceman

It's on the calendar. I'll be there for sure! I'll be gutting and renovating my fish house over the next few weeks to make it warm and comfy for sleeping in. Can't wait to get out on the ice.

I was planning to get up to URL at least once this winter anyway so it may as well be that weekend. I'll be bringing a sleeper house as well, assuming it is done by then, since I am in the process of building it now. I think that my buddy who owns the fish house with me may be gone snowmobiling that weekend but I am not sure so I may or may not have an extra bunk for someone if they need it.

If anyone is going to make any lodging arrangements I would do it NOW. There is not much up there except rented sleeper houses and the Black duck motel. I think the owner of the Black duck motel is a member of FM. Maybe he can pull some strings if anyone needs lodging.

Dave

The really cool thing about this is that I'm renting a sleeper from Kelly P. for Feb 23 and 24 with my 2 boys. I WAS planning on coming home the 25th.

Looks like we'll be spending the day at the slabfest instead!!! Count us in.