• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
superfish2

reports

joe_stack20

Saturday morning we had a good shoot, 3 of us, 1 Canvasback, 4 red heads, and 5 ringies, 2 short of our limit, it was a great shoot.... one flock of 4 red heads came in...and none of them left, saw some big flocks of divers flying a mile high.

Sunday Morning we brought another buddy with us, and we shot 11 ducks 4 guys, 6 redheads... 1 mounter ringy drake 2 wood ducks 1 canvasback, and a Widgeon. Great shooting and tons of ducks!!! Cant wait to get back out next weekend

Buckslayer

Saturday hunted for geese and shot a limit for 4 guys as well as three nice drake mallards. Sunday went to a flooded been field and shot a limit of mallards and 8 geese for 6 guys. At 10 minutes to shooting time, we have atleast 100 mallards trying to land on our blinds and on mojo. Gotta love seeing that. (No Set the Drag, we didint shoot!) One banded goose on Sunday. Hunting has been great so far this season, but scouting is definetely the key. We have put on a lot of miles and put down a lot of beer looking for spots.

lawdog

Quote:

At 10 minutes to shooting time, we have atleast 100 mallards trying to land on our blinds and on mojo. Gotta love seeing that. (No Set the Drag, we didint shoot!) ... We have put on a lot of miles and put down a lot of beer looking for spots.

But apparently you have no trouble admitting to driving while or after drinking and/or having an open bottle while driving around scouting. mad.gif

Jim Panfish Uran

Mahnomen area over Sat. eve. seen a ton of Mallards. Between three of us we got Six green heads and a couple of blue wings, a beautiful drake redhead and one goose. Seen a lot of ducks a lot more than in the past few weeks. It's looking pretty good around here. Heading out to the old spot again tonight for some action afterwork. Beautiful night up here in north central minnesota.

Buckslayer

Who said anything about open bottle? That is a awefully nice assumption that you pinned me down with. Did you read...I said We have put down beers. We means more than one, and one of us always stays sober. And, lawdog, the beers are had while watching a field or pond, or certian side of town, not while driving. But thanks for accusing me! Guess I shouldn't have wrote that, should've know someone would blow it out of proportion and take it the wrong way!

Sartell Angler

hey now, its not a big deal. Buckslayer could have posted with less ambiguity and lawdog could have not jumped to conclusions so quickly...who cares

REPORT: got out late sunday afternoon for a field hunt for some geese and woodies...few flocks of geese around but none came close. Managed to take 4 woodies (2 guys) pass shooting from the corn. We need some birds to get pushed down before next weekend. Hoping to head out towards Mille Lacs to a few lakes just to the SW of the big water. Any reports from that area? Maybe all the ringers and 'bills from Grand Rapids will start filtering into that area. One can only hope.

SA/wdw

Buckslayer

Agreed, who cares.

Flipnripem

Extreme southern Mn. Hunted a flooded corn/bean field. The greenies were buzzen along with a decent population of woodies. Mallards aren`t real thick yet, but, we saw some birds migrating on sun. Also saw a bunch of lessers on the move.

R Buker

Hi Guys,

I've been lurking and reading for a while. Thought I'd jump in.

I'm hunting near my home in Parkers Prairie. Ducks have been terrible. The few that I've seen have been high flyers. Geese are saving my day for me. Between me and my partners, we are typically shooting a couple every day.

riverrat56

Delta, were you the guy with the blue and white ford? We were back in the gap between the tree lines straight out from the landing, lots of ducks came by early, we had to leave by 8:30 because we had football practice.

delta hunter

Riverrat,

Yep, that's my truck! I hunted where you were at on opener, but haven't tried their since because of the wind factor. Was out again tonight and got my two woodies! Called them straight into the spread it was almost to easy!

riverrat56

Delta, remeber about the middle of the summer when some kid hit the mirror on your truck and ripped it off.....? That woulda been me... blush.gif....sorry about that... anywho...nice to know there are still woodies flying around, we aren't headed out again till the weekend, might hunt clear by gibbon on saterday morning and then walk ditches for pheasants/ducks in the midday. Sunday either Hanska or New Ulm Clear, maybe I will see you around, Small world isnt it?

delta hunter

No s#$%! It is a small world, still haven't gotten a new mirror yet! I'll be out somewhere tomorrow, since its suppose to be kinda wet, can't work so might as hunt! thought I saw a small flock of mallards to that night, I'm no totally sure about that though!

Jim Panfish Uran

thought I'd post my results from Mon. nights hunt(mahnomen)area. Pretty calm day but we did our fair share of scouting and we knew the birds were coming. We ended up with 5 ringnecks, 1 beautiful drake redhead, and 3 greenheads. It was a pretty fun night. I seen a ton of divers this time. I'm digging out the bluebills for this weekends hunt.

schaapj

Going up to the Crosby area this weekend for the first hunt of the season. Outdoor News has reported the hunting's sucked in that area so far. Wondering if there's any differing reports.

Much Thanks,

schaapj

riverrat56

We hunted the managment area outside of town tonight on 14 and got one mallard, should have had a few more but forgot the calls in the truck and the circling ducks were a bit skepical of the mute plastic ducks on the water.

Black Sportsman and myself tossed a coin this morning to see where we would be hunting, and for what... we couldnt make the choice...

MannyStugeon2again.jpg

Blacksportsman got this for his largest sturgeon to date(47"), and I caught its twin about an hour later.. also caught 2 smaller sturgeon, and a bonus channel cat.

Not to bad for a *hunt* starting at 3:08 pm and ended at 5:30 pm.

Mark Christianson

What does that post have to do with waterfowl reports????? crazy.gif

Ely Lake Expert

Here is my report, late but I haven't been online much lately. 5 of us go out ready to shoot some ducks. We sat in our normal opener spot for 3 hours and saw 1 duck come through. So we decide to go check this beaver pond about 1/2 of a mile off any road. We sneak in there with our dogs. We see about 6 ducks sitting on the water across the pond, one takes off we shoot at it and suddenly the water around the edge of the pond erupts. I would say between 600 and 800 ducks take off, about 95% mallards. We basically shot as fast as we could reload for about 15 minutes. (there was some real bad shooting at first) We actually had to stop shooting while they were still flying in circles cause we thought we had our limit on hens, which we did so then it became selective shooting. Still we limited out in 30 minutes. 5 hen mallards, 14 drakes, and 1 drake woodie. The next day we went to the same spot and limited out in about an hour. 5 hens mallards, 12 drakes, and 3 woodies. Then monday morning we shot 10 mallards. so all in all 50 ducks, 45 mallards and btw fresh duck is good.

Then is was cold for a week and we went out sunday evening and only shot 3 ducks between me and my dad. The locals are gone. mad.gif

There my report,

Ryan

Quote:

What does that post have to do with waterfowl reports?????
crazy.gif

BLB .. its shows the amount of success with waterfowl the last couple days... NONE... Its a good time to catch up on some fall fishing before the northern birds come around.

chefjim

went out last night for a couple of hours. 1 goose flew around 4:00 and was skybusted by the someone 100 yards away than nothing until 6:15 then a couple of geese and three mallards came when I was picking up. last night it was so still there was nothing moving. I hope tonight will be better

mr wizard

Shot two geese and one drake mallard. One guy. In Ham Lake area. 55 degrees this morning. Only saw 7 ducks. I know there are ducks in the area but they just loafed today. Luckily the geese made up for it.

WalleyeWeasel

Hunted Leech lake on fri.=== 3 Mallards 3 buffleheads,4 ringbills, 1 immature canvasback. Lots of birds, very windy, we had a blast..........

ironman

East Central MN, 1 Mallard, 1 ringneck, 1 goose. Should've easily had my limit today, it appears I need to hit the range. Frustrating when you know you can shoot better, grrrrrrrrrrr! But even though it was dead calm and not a cloud in the sky...saw lots of birds. Nearly had my hat taken off by a pair of really low flying ringnecks, came outta nowhere right over my head from behind...didn't even know they were there till I saw the afterburners!!! I think they only cleared me by about 3-4 ft. Good humor.

Borch

Preety good weekend. Definitely a few northern birds here in central Minnesota. Three of us ended up with 1 ringneck, 1 bluebill, 1 mallard, 1 gw teal and 6 Buffleheads on Saturday. Sunday ended up with 5 ringheads and 2 buffleheads for two of us. Passed on a flock of redheads and bluebills as they were flocked very tightly and we only had one duck left for our limit.

Eric Wettschreck

1 Mallard, 1 Teal, 1 Goose.

ChuckN

"Better than North Dakota" my friend told me as we saw some of the most intensive hunting we've ever seen for 4 consecutive days! Just returned from a trip to western MN at duck camp.

Going into the hunt on Wednesday I thought to myself we were going to spend a lot of time at camp trying to pass the time, but we found ourselves in 4 days of pure bliss. Dead calm mirror-like lakes and cloudless skies were more common, some days were windy, but overall it was mighty warm.

Incredible hunt. Tornadoes of ducks circled on the lake at sunrise. Limits were easily taken and sometimes mornings were cut short to ensure a return to relax in the evening blind. Our bags had Canvasbacks, Redheads, Bluebills, Ringbills Mallards, Widgeon, and Teal.

If you cancelled a trip to the blind because of the mild weather, it was possibly the wrong move. shocked.gif The birds are here and in incredible numbers!!

JEV

It's been pretty slow here in the NW corner of the state. After the first weekend the majority of the birds pulled out. There are still quite a few geese around but the duck numbers are down a lot. Last I was out was a week ago and it was much different then opener. Very few birds flying. My dad was out this weekend and said he seen very few ducks again. A lot of the fields have been worked up around here so the food supply has been exhausted. The birds I cleaned a week ago had empty crops. The birds from opener all had full crops. Hopefully a good cold snap to the north will push some more of the northern birds down into our area.

JEV

OUTDOORNUT

I second what ChuckN is talking about. We hunted Western MN also and had some of the best duck hunting I've had in years. Yesterday a 4 man mixed bag limit in 40 minutes!!

Mallards, Wiegons, Gadwalls, Teal, Woodies, Redheads and a two Ringers

Dean Schellinger

I'll second the fact that the birds are coming down. Hunted Friday and Sunday and saw quite a few ducks, mostly on Friday. I saw and shot gadwalls, wigeon, GWT, mallards, wood ducks. Lotsa geese. My brother went out sunday and they shot 2 canvasbacks, and saw a lot of bluebills and ringbills, along with a lot of mallards.

Definitely some migrates working their way through! Fun weekend. Ended up with 3 wood ducks, a banded drake mallard, 3 gadwalls, and a goose.