• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

reports

a good weekend ducks all around. call me dumb but i was the one the openned up the lake at 10 to 9 ended up with 5 on sat and 3 geese with a mally on sunday.

[Note from admin: It has come to my attention that TIP has been informed and we will cooperate fully with them to see that you are brought to justice. Also, please read forum policy before posting again.]

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sartell Angler

• riverrat56

• ironman

• Borch

Three of us had a good Saturday, 11 birds and quit at 2. Sunday was very slow, 5 birds but there was shooting for the other groups on the lake. Monday was dead, one woodie. Very few ducks in the air, walked a number of potholes with nothing and saw few birds from the truck. Stayed in today based on the few birds yesterday and the forecast for rain and high wind.

Was hunting near Brandon.

Wait a minute! Run that by me again. You ADMIT you shot early on opening day?

Did that have any effect on other hunters around you?

Just curious.

OPENER.jpg

Chesterbutt bringing in a hen mallard on Sunday. Saturday was slow, only fired 6 shells and got one mallard. Sunday we ended up with a couple more mallards and a blue wing teal.

We had some champion skybusters on the other end of the sleugh, but the two groups right by us on both days were great sportsmen. We all passed on marginal shots, knowing that the ducks wanted down, it worked out pretty well between us strangers. On Sunday, one of our ducks sailed over by the other hunters, and these two young fellers chased down and retrieved our duck, they were so nice that they were going to bring it all the way to us. I yelled that we would stop by and pick it up later, and when we did, we also thanked these two young guys for not skybusting. It was refreshing to see that attitude from todays youth. We could have thrown a lot more steel in the air, we even passed on some geese, cause our buddies were in line for a better shot, they almost let us down. grin.gif

Hunted west of buffalo. i have never seen as many wood ducks as i did last weekend. with all the rain, our ponds flooded the oak trees and the ducks are thick!! Almost as thick as the mesquitos!! the best part is that when we set up they returned as singles and doubles so we didn't spook the whole group.

Flick, when u get those pics developed you should post them here for everyone too see bc i bet the pictures look sweet, hope to see you again some weekend

Andrew

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Opening weekend has come and gone but it was great to be back out in the duck blind again. The weather wasn't ideal but the special moments shared in the duck blind with family and friends is why we hunt anyway.

I thought the numbers of birds seen was fair. Our group of 4 limited by noon on Sat with a few more being taken on Sunday. The numbers of wood ducks were amazeing!! mallards were average and their seemed to be enough little rocket teal to make things interesting. I am once again happy that duck season is here and I am looking forward to the good days ahead.

Set the Drag - Seriously, I am with Ufatz on this issue. You shot early. That is illegal. Do you think nothing is wrong with doing that or are you somehow bragging about it? What's the deal man??

Also, set the drag, you say you had 5 ducks and 3 geese on Saturday? You know the limit is 4 right???? And you can only have 1 or 2 geese depending on which part of the state you are in.

Some people just amaze me.

Hunted 8 miles NW of Walker, shot a limit on Saturday and two ducks on Sunday. It was the best opener in 5 years, not because I got some ducks but because of the numbers I saw. There are always a lot of woodies but their were a good number of mallards and some ringbills. Nothing like 10-15 years ago but a pleasant surprise. I've hunted grouse for 8 hours or so and have not seen or flushed one bird, that's with two experienced dogs too, very disappointing.

Maybe it's just me but I personally think that set the drag should be suspended from this site for at least a month for his actions. he has openly admitted to shooting before legal time and having too many birds in poss. just the same as poaching. This guy makes me sick! Just think if he has admitted to this kind of crap while waterfowling, just amagine what he has done for other seasons, big game ect...

Quote:

a good weekend ducks all around. call me dumb but i was the one the openned up the lake at 10 to 9 ended up with 5 on sat and 3 geese with a mally on sunday.

Can anyone say, poor hunting ethics? I assume the number of birds is dictated by more than one hunter in the boat... there is no excuse for knowingly shooting 10 minutes early.

As for the REPORTS (back on subject)...

Hunted a metro slough on Monday and ended up with a mallard and a woodie... would have had a couple geese if it wasnt for the 2 guys in white T shirts that came out at the last minute and hid about 50 yards off the end of my decoys... they took some 100 yard shots at a flock coming in on us(birds were 60 yards from me and coming strait in when they started shooting).

That episode got me fired up and I started screaming at them... another 2 seconds and they would have been shooting directly at us... The ethics of the other hunters quickly improved after the screaming bout(may have been intimidated when they seen I had a 260 lb african american friend in boat).. the careless shooting stopped, but unfortunately the white T shirts never got covered and we watched birds steer clear all morning... all was well.. we didnt get shot.

OK, I will call you DUMB ( you did ask us to).

Wonder what the boys over at TIP will have to say about this.

Good thing I know the ED over there.

Un-called for and then to brag about it.

you are right, that is dumb.

[Note from admin: It has come to my attention that TIP has been informed and we will cooperate fully with them to see that you are brought to justice. Also, please read forum policy before posting again.]

i wasn't bragging just telling the truth.

I meant no disrespect but what you did was still illegal, and a man with the balls you claim to have should have had no problem holding off for 10 minutes.

So Set the Drag, Not only are you hunting unethically, you have two other " buddies" that are just as illegal. You may have big balls but you certinally don't have any brains.

I admit i was wrong, never sad i was perfect. sorry for spilling my beans. so i strecthed the clock sorry.

Quote:

their were three of us in the boat. if i would not of started somebody else would've. soory for even saying it but I guess I have bigger balls than some other people on this site. you cant tell me you all are perfect all the time. i have been on this site a while and usually don't have any problems with anything i say.

I am not attacking you as a person.. probably a great guy.. but doing something just because somebody else would have likely done it if you didnt.. that is just NONSENSE.

The lake I was hunting on people were shooting 5 minutes early. I had opportunities to shoot after people started... I PASSED on early shooting and waited until 9 A.M.

Just because someone pulls the trigger DOES NOT mean hunting has started.. It means someone was shooting early. If I am to shoot just because someone else did.. makes me just as foolish as the 1st person to pull the trigger.

So the law does not matter because you have a big ego and dont agree with the 9 A.M. shooting time on opening day.

Nobody said anyone was perfect in here... but I know myself.. I follow the laws that apply weather I agree with them or not.. the same laws everyone else must follow.

I am going to stop there.. all I can say is, your hunting ethics stink.. I hope the others in your boat know better, or have more respect for the laws than you do. It is POOR SPORTSMANSHIP to have complete disregard for the laws.

You blasting 10 minutes early scattered many birds away from the lake that other people would have had a chance at shooting at legal hunting time... instead, your greed got you a bird, and flushed many other birds off the water taking birds out of other peoples harvest... It doesnt matter, YOU GOT YOUR BIRD and you dont care.

You are not welcome in my boat. If I ever encounter you shooting early on a lake and a CO is there that day, I will be happy to point him to your blind and tell him exactly what time you shot.

If you cant abide by the same laws everyone else follows.. DONT HUNT.

I think it is interesting that we were given the privilege this fall to shoot 3 hours earlier on opening day unlike the noon opener of years past.

Might as well just put it back to noon if folks can't comply with 9am, eh?

Come on guys this guy is obviously a bonehead don't waste your time on him let's get back to the duck reports. It was pretty slow up here near Mahnomen, Lot's of teal and Woodies still around. More mallards are starting to show up in some of the wild rice lakes around here. Shot a widgeon and a green head Sunday morning I seen a lot of ducks but none would offer up a shot.I had a Heck of a flock of honkers that circled three times before flaring. I don't know what it was but thay split one us. Still got the blood pumping though. I expect to start seeing more Mallards and Divers with this cold snap we are getting. Can't wait.

You call that having balls????????????

Not in my book is that called having balls.

I will let YOU know I DID call the ED of TIP and I also called the TIP line and not to mention the local CO.

It was just plain dumb. If you knew it was wrong you should have just kept your mouth shut.

You brought this on yourself. No one else did this for you.

Where not all perfect? I will agree with that but when it comes to the possibility of lossing my hunting rights, you bet I am perfect in the field.

You can't follow the rules then stay home. We have laws and rules for a reason.

Stupidity in my book is what that is.

Anyone try the Ely area? We're headed up there after work on Friday to see if we can get lucky. If the ducks aren't there we're at least hoping to get some geese coming down with the cold front coming. Any suggestions?

My dad saw some hunters on Shag Saturday morning but not many shots heard. Hoping with the change in weather we might get some coming in low.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Fellow waterfowlers let's get back to the subject at hand and that is reading about everyones success and hunts. As far as setthedrag's comments what he did wasn't right wasn't ethical and it broke a law. I am a beleiver in the game laws and they shouldn't be broken. As far as hunters and true sportsman let's all try to educate (rather than rip)people about what it means to break game laws.

The sport we all love waterfowling is already hurting,numbers are down, habitat is being lost and the future of our sport seems on a downslide. By not obeying laws we are just takeing another step back. Let's try and teach people what it truley means to break rules it's just giving anti's another open door.

Instances like shooting early etc are what gives our sport a bad name. I hope that setthedrag has understood what he did was wrong and it won't happen again. As Hanson stated it is our privelage to be able to shoot 3 hours early and of course I feel it's a big privlage just to be able to hunt. Lets get this thread back on track guys and let's all try to talk about what we love and that's waterfowling.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Set the drag made his own bed.

Warning - Let's get this topic back and stay ON TOPIC.

4 woodies for me and my buddy, could have shot at a few teal, but wasn't worth the walk through the mud for those little things. Everyone in our bay was very good about shooting on time, and not sky busting, there were a few untrained dogs, but after talking to one of the guys and finding out it was his dogs first hunt, the yelling didn't bother me. Had a great time can't wait for this weekend.

Saterday afternoon we tried to jump some sloughs, stopped at 6 differnt places (on 4 sloughs holding ducks) and no one was home anyplace, bean harvest was in full swing though, might have had something to do with it.

Good luck and shoot straight

With this weather system coming through the area and lower Canada, what are peoples opionins about what this will do the duck hunting for the weeks to come. 1. Will it shift more ducks into Minn due to too much snow? 2. will it blow all the teal/woodies out of here and we'll have a big lull between migrations? Just curious

I havn't been able to head out yet, this weekend will be a bit different (less obligations) hitting a fresh cut corn field that the geese have been landing in and then Sunday I plan on hitting that again or hitting the river nearby, drove by a pond that I hunt this morning about 7:00 and dindn't see more than one or two teal, pretty dissapointing but I hope it improves. I looks like a few people out there are having some luck according to the above posts.

Just talked to my brother who is hunting central ND. LOTS of Greenheads. The storm and snow really drove them in. In fact they had just come back in from hunting this morning and decided to pack up and come back.

They already had their limit or both ducks and pheasants and decided to come back to MN and give it a try. They went over to ND last Sunday. Not much snow where they were hunting but it rained all day yesterday with fairly strong winds the last two days with cold weather. Pefect duck hunting weather.

2 guys Greenheads, Widgeon, Gadwall and pheasant limits plus they had 3 meals - 2 duck one pheasant.

And I decided not to go until next week, darn.