• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Live or Dead?

Seems some lakes produce fish more using Live bait and some seem to produce better using artificial presentations.

What do the experts on the area lakes recommend?

Understanding that the answer lies in "that depends on..."

I'll help with those variables by offering that -

1. for time of year: I'm looking at a Mid-September catch-n-release weekend.

2. for species: Northerns mainly, but request recommendations on Walleyes and crappies.

3. Lake preferences: Open to all productive lakes, Clear or stained, around the Waterville area.

Any recommendations on your most productive lure or bait for a give lake and a give species would certainly be welcomed!

Thanks!

rebelrunner,

The 'eyes around here during mid-September should be holding on any mid-lake structure that is available and also shorelines that are holding baitfish or being "beat up" by the wind. Jigs and minnows or lindy rigs and minnows will more than likely be ruling the day. If you're interested in some sun-down action, shallow casting with crankbaits and/or plastic can be dynamite as well, especially during the full moon phase.

Rebelrunner,

I'd suggest an ultralight setup with a slip bobber and minnow during lowlight hours in 7-10 feet of water off of island dropoffs or points or water entry spots. Should produce 'eyes at that time of year. My suggestion would be Tetonka.

Well, Lake Tetonka is as good as any fall lake in this area.

For pike, I have never used anything but artificials. Spoons mostly. Last year around this time I hooked a 11.5lb pike around the outlet of Tetonka with a Chart-Green spoon. The state record Bass also came out of Tetonka in the fall ( in Oct I do believe ).

As water temps fall I use more live bait for eyes. Minnows mostly on jigs. This has not been a good Walleye year for me. The Bass kept distracting me.

Just follow the break lines and you will find the fish.