• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Well, (for me anyway) the walleye fishing had slowed somewhat over the past week or so. I had not been out for the 'eyes since last Monday, as most of the guests here at the resort were fishing for the Bigunns (Muskie).

Finally got out this morning for about an hour. Only time to fish one spot, and angler of the year Skyler (my son)was on them right away. The fish are still on wind blown weed lines gorging on perch. I put on a minnow (thinking I am sensing a pattern change) while Skyler went with the 1/2 crawler. I decided to change to the crawler after he boated two fish in less than 50 feet of the first drift. We culled a nice limit for dinner.

Find the weed lines that are getting wind, and you have found the walleyes.

Good Fishin'

Doug

I also found a few moving up on sandbars late afternoon. Floating gumdrop jigs tipped with the front 1/2 of a crawler (the banded end) on 6-foot Vanish snells. The rear 'dangly' end of crawlers just attract perch.

Eagles and osprey are giving majestic air shows; helps make up for the slower bite.

Hans,

We have got to get out sometime. You are within spittin' distance. Mike and Bonnie are very good friends, you have a great set up there.

Doug

Hans,

Your just around the corner from me, be up in two weeks looking for Walters. If you see someone in a Spring Bay

Lund that looks lost grin.gif that be me. laugh.gif

Backwoods

PS Who knows what the bite will be in two week cool.gif

Quote:

Hans,

We have got to get out sometime. You are within spittin' distance. Mike and Bonnie are very good friends, you have a great set up there.

Doug

It's great to have friends like the Lantrys!

I'll probably be up later this week for several days, then again intermittently till the end of September. I'll drop in at your place and we can make a plan.

Quote:

If you see someone in a Spring Bay

Lund that looks lost
grin.gif
that be me.
laugh.gif

Backwoods

I see a lot of that!

If you see a tan and blue Smoker Pro Mag with an Evinrude ETec on the stern and PinPoint on the bow, and grey hair on the helmsman, that'd prolly be me. I generally fish the west end, venturing as far east as Zup Point on Niles bay.

Hans,

I am the same as you, West side, long boat ride from Black Bay to East Side. Would rather spend the boat ride time fishing, lot of good fishing here anyway.

See you monitor 2 meters grin.gif

Backwoods

WA9CLE

Doug or Hans,

What do you think the West End walleye bite will be like in a week or so? My wife and I will be up at Rock's (Life of Riley) the 10-17th. Haven't been on the Big V since opener. We are mainly targeting walleyes, but might try for some muskies. Only fished for them a couple of times, none boated yet, but a few follows. Might try a little CPR on some smallies too. Mainly, just a fun week for her and I to get away together.

If you see a blue/white Ranger 620 w/Evinrude 225HO, swing by and say hi.

Thanks,

Dean Thorn

Dean, what gives? Have called a couple times and haven't heard back from you.....Was wondering if all was well or not. Am at the Big V Right now and this darn storm has me off the lake..... mad.gif Went out for 2-1/2 hours last night and managed 9 in the boat between 14-17" , and lost one close to 20" at boatside. It was pretty calm and the fish were in 16-28' of water. Parrot or Firetiger jigs with a larger minnow (doesn't matter what kind) is the ticket. They were very aggressive. On a side note, sold my house in Rapids and am in full hunt mode for a new place right now. If you see anythiing decent in and around your neighborhood with minimum 3 car garage let me know.......So when we gonna get together and pop a top? Let me know.

Bob,

How the heck are you doing? Meant to call you back but accidently deleted your number. Got a new phone about when you called and am still trying to figure all of it out.

Man, can't wait to get up on the Big V. Haven't been fishing much this year. I was working a 60-70 hour a week job, but the lack of time with Leah and the way things were going just led me to leave. I am working my Pampered Chef business full time now and loving the time it allows me.

We definitely need to get together for a cold one or two. Give me a call sometime soon, my cell number is the same or call me at home. Will keep an eye out for property for you.

Also, ice on LOW isn't too far away (unfortunately?)

Later,

Dean

How's the early September walleye bite going?

With the cooler nights the water temps should be dropping, it looks like from the posts that they on the sharp brakes near shore lines and islands.

Any comments on how things will be shaping for the next few weeks?

Backwood grin.gif

its been pretty decent...just seems to keep going...nice to have a day off though....but it seems you can fish them wth about every presintation and bait...

Yeah, right, Gary. Remember the last week of June on Birch?I still have to deal with those guys, giving them bunch of BS before they open their mouth. Just kidding. If the the bite is so good, how come you didn't call me? I don't want to fish in the rain/snow mix again.

Could it be?

Walleyes are showing signs of the fall bite. Starting to catch them on jig/minnow more consistently. Although that may be due to the fact that I have finally tried a jig.

Fish are small for me anyway, but the numbers are good.

Big rascals should go soon.

Doug

Tried a few places but couldn't get the minnow bite to happen, so back to crawlers. Lots and lots of banana-sized fish, good news for a couple years from now, and found a 26-incher last Wednesday evening on a sandbar on Head O' Lakes bay (where you saw me Sunday AM).

With the weather's cool front moving in, there should be some therm. cline changes. Water temp. still warm low 70's

in the bay's, slightly cooler on open water.

I think Hans is right, need to break out the electronics and follow the clines.

Not much following the weed lines last night frown.gif, havn't tryed the sand bar's, maybe suspended on sharp breaks near deeper water confused.gif

Any ideas and or comments always needed smile.gif

Backwoods

PS Colors have changed in last day or so, starting to look great cool.gif