• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How do you connect to FM

From home that is wink.gif

I have always had the latest and greatest. I got 28.8 as soon as I could, then 36.6, then 56 and then all the 56v versions. Finally I was able to get cable. At one point I even was getting business class 8500/786 for 69.95, but the extra speed wasn't worth the extra money. Currently using RoadRunner with 5000/384 for 39.95.

What is everyone else using?

I would like to see ratio between dialup and broadband.

Arvig DSL at home and at work...at work, the office is wireless...that is pretty sweet.

Cable modem to our PC, got this laptop ran thru netgear wireless router now and that is sweet, I can bring the laptop into the jon and surf the web instead of reading a magazine!

yeah, the wireless thing is great isn't it. I do the laptop thing, however it's never been in the jon grin.gif

I am currently sitting out in the screen porch watching the birds.

You need to be careful with the wireless though. Right now as I type, I can pull up about 5 "neighbors" connections

3 of them, totally unprotected. In fact, if I was a bad guy I could cancel my RoadRunner and still connect exactly the same and they probably wouldn't know the difference. Even scarier is if they share their folders I could go in retrieve files directly from their computer. crazy.gif

Make sure you password protect your connection, I even go as far as turning off the SSID broadcast.

Yepper that could be a prob for some, fortunatly my younger brother is a IT manager for a nationwide bigtime corp and he hooks me up wih all the latest and greatest in this, that, and the other things. Got this brand new Dell laptop and all that wireles stuff for free too! He makes too much money I think?

Here in Albany, we can get Clearwire. It's a wireless system that they are putting in different parts of MN. It's pretty neat, and the price is pretty good also. Then we have the wireless router in the house also, and I have also been known to surf instead of reading a magazine..

KJ

DSL; for the price, it's hard to beat.

Wireless is sweet but dtro nailed it, if not properly set up you are leaving yourself incredibly vulnerable. If you are interested in wireless or need help securing a system that you are using, give us a call.

Here in Lonsdale, MN. we have T100 (warp speed down, and lightspeed up).....and we are very happy.

Once in a while we find the number busy, must be Lonsdale Phone company listening to other calls, they were known to do this..... grin.gifgrin.gif

Just kidding, we have DSL and farely quick, but I live in the country and I have to use Midwest Wireless ClearWave wireless DSL to get things going fast.

Was with Comcast.. until yesterday.. now Qwest DSL. Cheaper.. a bit slower down by faster up. Still fast enough to not notice the difference unless you down load a 180mb file like I did yesterday (see google earth thread!)

I live near St Croix Park and the best I can do dial up is 26.4. I had Starband satellite for about 5 years. It had gotten real slow and did not work very good for VPN connections. I just installed WildBlue satallite and it is a huge improvement. I can not get cable or DSL where I live. On wild blue the download is great but the upload is still a little slow. WildBlue is easy to get working. HAve it into a router and now several can be on at the same time.

It depends on which way the wind is blowing and which neighbors WiFi signal is strongest... grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Not too many choices up here on Da Range. I have Mediacom cable T1 speed or better download and 256k upload. I could never go back to dial up, not after speeds like this.

5 minutes to download a 180MB file ain't too bad. smirk.gif

I have 56 dialup and for most things it gets me by but I don't understand why FM is so slow. Every subject I click on takes quite awhile to load. I don't have this problem with Walleye Central or other forums. I like FM because it seems more local, but I get disgusted waiting for everything to load.

Something to do with dial up no doubt.. with my DSL.. every click is nearly instant.. never a wait.

I've been on Charter cable for about a month after "forever" on AOL dial-up. I need the hardwire connect for sending the large files in my freelance design business. Current deal is for $20/month and will go up in January to their regular rate. I've got a D-Link router hooked up to four Macs in my computer room/office so that I can work and the kids can dot.com at the same time.

Cable modem with wireless set up in the house. I have Cat5E cable everywhere in the house from the old days though! When I go on business trips a pre-requesit is that they have hi speed internet in the hotel room. When passing around large AutoCad files dial up just does not cut it. Have a good one and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Paul Bunyan DSL with a wireless router. I like working outside (until winter . . .).