• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gowdy's been up there for about a week now, word is he and his group have taken 76 walleye, 5 northerns, 54 perch and 4 rock bass.

None of the walleye were less than 16 inchers...by the way...

Gig Em

Texan

Very impressive, just got back into town, going to hit it with a boat load tomorrow. Col. Ron

Mighty fine Colonel, good luck to you and please let me know how you do....

Gig Em

Texan

Hope he's got 12 or 13 people with him...possession limit is 6. Unless of course he's C&R a bunch, kudos if so. Had to voice my opinion when I see that many eye's "Taken" in a week.

TMan

No...closer to 20 - 25 so simmer down. I will guarantee Gowdy follows the rules, has been fishing up there since many of you were in diapers.

Dang I hate the bs attitude predominant on this board mad.gif

Gig Em

Texan

TMan-

You ever seen Gowdy eat a fish dinner????????

No way will he ever be over his possession limit........

Col Ron

Wow, you'd think I called the pope a fraud or something...everyone relax.

Tex - I am very simmered, pretty sure I just questioned how many people were taking "Taking" that many eyes. In fact I gave him "Kudos" if he followed rules or C&R. So, if you don't want simple opinions or comments on your statements you might want to send an email vs. posting on a public message board. And, youre being somewhat hypocritical insinuating that I have a BS attitude, I thought I was being pretty rational.

Col. Ron - Nope, never saw him that I know of, but I'm not sure of your point with that.

So, congrats on their success.

TMan

ps. I lived and fished that area since I was in diapers, so we're even.

Sometimes I hanker back to the good old days when I was in diapers....and pretty soon I'll probably be back in them again. Still gonna be fishing though. I just hope I don't have to do what my friend did one time many years ago while fishing in Pike Bay - we were far from our resort and he lost all control so he just dirtied his diaper and then threw it overboard.

TM, looking at your post again, seemed hostile to me and in fact a calling out, if it was not, then you have my apologies. Gowdy and I have been friends for many years and I ALWAYS have my friends' back, especially when they are not able to defend themselves.

Your Kudos by the way, were offered if he was catch and release....

Gig Em

Texan

Tex - I guess that's the problem with the written word...not easy to get "tone" across. It was not meant to be a calling out. I would have been much clearer if so. Although, I certainly was questioning how or why so many fish were taken. But, given your answer, I can't have any beef with keeping that many. They have every right.

I think its just that not all people like to hear that the resources are being consumed like they are. Don't get me wrong, I like to eat fish as much or more than the rest. But reading some of the other posts regarding sizes and numbers I think we should all be questioning what is really necessary. Everyone is entitled to take home their limit while on a vacation or whatever, I just think there's a limit to how many times in a period that should happen. And unfortunately, or fortunately, its up to each of us to decide what is enough. And, sometimes people (Everyday local, tribes, guides, vacationers, et'al) don't think about what they are doing to the resources, a'la Upper Red. Sorry for the diatribe, there's just no way to debate consumption of wild resources without getting emotional on either side. So - enough said. I appreciate our ability to have a conversation on it.

TMan

TMan,

No problem, and no big thing. We tend to "eat our own" here once in a while. We all have our own opinions. Never seen anyone swayed one way or another, especially with this group. Sit back, shoot the sh.t, and relax. Nice fish by the way, details???

Ron

"Eat our own" - good one Ron....I know some fish are cannibals and some animals in the wild and so I guess some fishermen have the potential, don't we?

Yeah TMan, if you know the area at all, feel free to help us out with new ideas, tips, stories, whatever. Our Cass board family here is growing all the time so join us.

Wasn't that a Marx Brothers bit?

"Can I join you?"

"Why, am I coming apart?"

I still wear diapers just for fun,but don't tell anyone ok!It will be our little secret...Hello from Chi-Town.Col.Ron,Tex,Brian and Beef.I caught me a hundred walleye,200 perch and 50 crappie last time I was up LOL!!!!!!!!Wish it was true but had fun up there with my bro Buster and you guys anyway.Looking for an opening in 2006.Buster can't make it and the other guy Walter Queen is no longer invited.Anyone with an opening for 06 let me know @[email protected],I can cook ,clean and dance around all silly like.Let me know if you have met me and can take me on,I have money,don't worry.

Come on back!!

You did good while you were here, too bad your stay was so short. Thanks for the Vodka by the way. I will polish it off tonight with a deep fried turkey.

The weather could have been better, if I recall. Think about coming in early June next time.

Anyway, something to think about,

Col Ron

Thanks Col.Ron.I just talked to Texan and will probably link up with those hooligans next year in June.Hopefully i'll get my furlough picks for that time frame so see you then.

CFD is going to be part of the Texas invasion team next year.

Colonel, did you figure out how to get a keg in your boat for Trent? cool.gif

Gig Em

Texan

Thinking about buying a pontoon boat, that should take care of that problem. Other than that, I would suggest an "IV".

Ron

Not that this matters much, but a couple of years ago a group from Chicago, I think 6 guys, caught and kept 90 eyes in a week. DNR nailed them 3000 dollar fine I heard. Now Minn has added to the rule book an "excessive over harverst" rule. Limits are for a reason

Yep, unfortunately they were from Chicago, and staying at Tom's Resort. Ron

Gents,

Gowdy reporting in--

Man, we killed the snot out of 'em!!!! We had Travis and Chad even cooking us our suppers!!!!! What a great time.

The best day was the day 3 supper novice

fishermen went out with Chad and boated 14 northerns between 8 and 15 lbs. Sorry boys, can't tell you where or how. Can't reveal a guides secrets.

What a great time and these boys ate like kings. Prime rib lunches, steak and egg breakfasts, you name it.

Take care and kudos to Clark and Elaine over at the Shoe for another great time!!

Gowdy cool.gif

Glad you're back and had a good time...as you can see, I've been catching a lot of poop over this thread.....same guys giving me the bs are the ones who would rather boat six 13 inchers than say they just had a bad day cool.gif

Beat the ever livin' hades outta Clemson

Texan

Goudy,

Thanks for reporting . I'm glad to hear the "bite" has picked up from the hot dog days. I'm (patiently) waiting til the 15th for my trip.

I will say this-- sometimes the "cool" sayings give the WRONG impression , and contribute to the "eating our own" comments. A couple examples: we killed em

80 eyes "taken"

If I had a great bite going, I could say "I killed em" or I could say "they were biting great" and mean the same thing, but which one is more likely to get a "eat our own" response?

If my party did great and we caught 80 eyes I could say we "took" 80 eyes, or I could say we" caught" 80 eyes, and mean the same thing, but which one is more likely to get a "eat our own" response ?

Someone that "exagerates" the truth or size tells the story one way, but another person that hears it can take it as "truth" or "accurate" , and assume things that aren't true. I have a neighbor that "stretches" things- his 6# fish probably weigh 4#s. I also have a friend that is exact- his 6# fish would weigh 6#s or he would have said it weighed 6#s 1.5 ounces. I know the difference, so my mind "adjusts the size accordingly automaticly, without making a big deal about it. Sometimes it's the "reply" to the reply that creates the problem, where a calm, even answer stops problems from continuing. In other words we need to "put the (mind) truck in gear" before flying down the hill out of control.

How deep were the eyes in daylight?

After reading that post, I can just bet that some of us are gettin' mighty hungry too.

Let's see if I can add some brevity. From now on I will:

Take a cold, not catch a cold.

Take a bus, not catch a bus.

Take a pop-up, not catch a pop-up.

Take up on my reading, not catch up on my reading.

Take a rising star, not catch a rising star.

or conversely

Catch my time, not take my time.

Catch my pills, not take my pills.

Catch off, not take off.

Catch a dump, not take a dump.

All this reminds me of the time many years ago that I was out to dinner with my boss. He was from the Netherlands, and only spoke English as a second language. So the waiter gets to him and he says "I will TAKE a beer". And I started wondering where the heck he was gonna go with it 'cause we hadn't even eaten yet.

Now, I told you that one so I could tell you this one.....

PS You can take the Cubs and stick them where the sun don't shine.

Gents,

Forgot to mention----all those pike went back, in addition to a bunch of walleyes. Lots caught and lots tossed back for next year.

Oh, almost forgot, and this goes for all you guys who may want to make a comment about something I post---Go back and read my comments from the past 3 years. I toss 'em back. I'll keep enough for a fish fry while I'm up there, but don't even care to drag fish home with me. If someone elses chooses to, that is their business. As I have said before, they have purchased their license, and as long as it's within the rules, that's fine.

Take care,

Gowdy cool.gif

I thought the normal class size that was predominate in cass was about a 15"er, but you didnt catch any UNDER 16"?

Sounds like a great time, wis I would have some time off wotk to match those #'s, or try at least!

H.

We caught a ton under 15 but tossed them all back. Tossed back most of the others as well, and all of the big girls.

Take care and welcome to the board!!

Gowdy cool.gif