• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Does anyone have any idea what CRP or similar hunting land goes for in this part of the state (by the acre)? I'm thinking it would be nice to have some property I KNOW I can hunt when I'm out that direction. Thanks.

It depends largely on the county. There was some farmland that went for 3450 an acre about a month ago. It wasn't even that good. There is a new place up by Granite Falls where you can rent a blind for hunting that is all on CRP land.

Funny you should mention. My dad and I just had this coversation while I was back home in Ivanhoe.

Basically he said that the cost of land is getting pretty high. You can probably count on spending $3000+ for good farm land and around $2500 for hunting land per acre. Of course this is just ball park. You may be able to find some for less expensive.

What part of SW MN are you looking at?

You're there Rost! I'm interested mainly right there in Lincoln County. I've been hunting closer to Benton for about the last 12 years and was looking to try to stay in the area since I already have some other spots to hunt. I'm not sure how serious I am in buying right now, just interested. But if I happen to come across anything, I'd like to know what's reasonable.

Hoyt-

I grew up hunting with a few guys who were from Chaska. They have family in Ivanhoe so they come back all the time.

They always bring a crew down for the duck opener.

I've looked at every parcel that I've seen come up lately and its depressing to be a potential buyer right now. Prices have gotten very high lately. The junk pieces are going for 1800+ and good farm ground well over $3000 as discussed above. None of it cash flows through CRP and/or other programs anymore. You'll need to be ready to spend annually to just make the payments if you buy anything now.

I am certainly not an economic expert, so if these thoughts are untrue let me know smirk.gif.

I think these land prices will crash some day. Try and stick with me here.. What happens when farmer Joe buys land at $3000/acre and we get a few years of bad growing seasons? Now Joe can't swing the payments to the bank. The bank repos the land that is now worth a fraction of the original $3000 they borrowed to Joe.

Two bad things happen in this scenario- 1. The farmer is in deep financial trouble 2. The bank gets stuck with the balence.

Crankineyes_1 (my tournament partner) is looking to buy an acreage near Sioux Falls. Evidently, a shack with 6-10 acres is going for around $250k. That market is sky high also. When is the banker going to say NO, that old house is NOT worth $250k?

Maybe I am way off base with this theory, so correct me if I am wrong.

Can someone provide some insight?

The Sioux Falls area is growing so fast right now that those numbers shouldn't surprise anyone.

Most farmer Joe's out there arn't really buying land. They are farming land that either has been the family, was bought a long time ago, or are renting land. Also, most of the banks working with farmers round these parts will do just that. Work with farmers. Depending on the land and it's future potential most banks will accept lesser payment amounts long before they consider foreclosure. I've also known of some farm/land loans that have been outright forgiven by the bank. Don't freak out, I'm pretty sure loan foregiveness isn't the norm. Banks arn't going to go into a deal without knowing they will make money.

I agree, that old house may very well not be worth 250K. However, in a few years the land that it sits on may very well be worth it depending on the demographics. The area I grew up in is the perfect example. (Giving away my age here) I grew up in Linwood. In the late 60's early 70's it was swamp and lakes and a couple of fields and a lot of woods. In other words, Gods country. It's only downfall is that it was about an hour from the twin cities. Land prices were low. Of course, inflation has some to do with this. However, now things are a lot different. That proximety to the twin cities and still a LITTLE slice of away from the twin cities has made Linwood a pretty darn spendy place to be.

Many banks/financial instutitions will lend on lands future potential and not worry about it's current worth.

Just an example of prices up here.

22 acres just sold down the road from us-- $210,000.

A 2.5 acre lot in the country-- $50,000 give or take.

Lakeshore lots-- 100' lot only, aah, maybe 3 to $400,000.

As long as people are able to get this kind of money for property, prices will go up.

I just feel really sorry for the young people trying to buy a home maybe 5 years from now. ( or even now )

Rost,

I had a neighbor (he moved a couple years ago) who went to Ivanhoe every duck opener with a group of buddies, one of whom was from Ivanhoe and still had family there. I wonder if it's the same group of guys you mentioned. Are there any ducks this year?

Hoyter-

I'll guarentee it was one of the them! Ivanhoe is not too big, so I pretty much know who is hunting and where they are. Great bunch of guys! Small world eh!?!

As far as duck numbers go, from what my bro says it'll be another average year.

i think were we will see the first "price crashes" will be in northern MN where the price of wooded and swampy land hsa jumped ALOT just in the past 10 years. i have a buddy that bought 120 acres in 1996 for $75000. he sold the timber on it for 20 some thousand. he then split it into 3 40 acre parcels in 2000 and got $60000 for each pacel. my uncle bought his hunting land north of winnie in the mid 80's, 500 acres for $100,000 (which he considered higher priced then but bought it because he really liekd the property). his land is now valued at around $750,000, and he has made no improvements to the land other than some trails and a few deer stands.

with the booming economy of the 90's and low interest rates people were buying recreational property like mad. this downturn in economy if combined with higher interest rates will have a lot of those people worrying about jsut making their house mortage payment let alone paying for land that would be deemd "worthless" to all but those with a passion for the outdoors.

• 2 weeks later...

I know farmers in Scott county that are selling land for houses that are getting $180,000 an acre, turn around and 1031. Buy land in LeSueur county for $5000 an acre. then end up with 3x the amount of land. One guy sold 80 a. and bought 1800a. and a bunch of new toys to farm it. shocked.gif

NW Farm Management just sent out a letter yesterday for land in Redwood county. 80 acres, some in CRP, some tillable. Advertising it as hunting/crop land. Asking $144000.