• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Stoeger?

HateHumminbird

I see Cabela's has a Stoeger M-2000 field barrel/cantilever rifled barrel combo for sale around $500.

Any opinions on Stoeger's? Never shot or owned one, but the price seems almost too good to be true.

How hard is it to get choke tubes? Anyone know about turkey chokes for them?

Joel

Joel, don't know about the choke tubes but the Stoeger is a good mid-level priced gun. I've shot a friends O/U 12 ga. in ND for waterfowl and pheasants with no complaints. It certainly is less expensive then my Ruger Red Label and as far as performance I could see no difference.

I have heard that Stoeger shotguns are made by Benelli and have the same mechanism as a Benelli.

Bought a Stoeger side by side 20ga couple years ago primarily for Grouse and Pheasant..2 words...love it, seems to be pretty good quality never had a problem but of course its not an auto either. Funny thing is that I can shoot low 20's consistantly shooting trap but heck if I've killed anything with it yet.lol

Last year I was considering buying a semi-auto stoeger because I heard their internals were that of a benelli and the price was attractive. I did a lot of reasearch on a lot of gun boards and I came to the conclusion that the fit and finish and mechanics of the stoeger semi-auto were not quite up to snuff. Maybe the quality control wasn't there? Maybe the internals are not quite the same as a benelli? Who knows? I decided to pass up the Stoeger based on what I read and I never did shoot one.

I did hear nothing but good things about their O/U's though.

I have heard goo things about the o/u but not much about the semi-auto Both the benelli and stoeger are inertia driven and when i got my benelli catalog there was a stoeger catalog with first few pages talk the gut and they are word for word. I saw the same on at cabelas and thought of it also. They have sx2 for the 559 right and if i think if you are shooting 3inch shells it is a great gun I abuse all waterfowl season.

I own a Stoeger Condor II and love it. 12 guage o/u. It shoots excellent and fits and feels great. Nice finish and even better, nice price. The choke tubes can be ordered at any gun dealer or right from the factory.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I picked up a Stoeger 2000 this spring. It sure throws an awsome turkey pattern. laugh.gif I've put 3 boxes of field loads through it without any issues and lots of turkey loads at the patterning board. It doesn't get as dirty as the gas operated autos. It does have a little more recoil with it's enertia system(that and it's so light). As far as chokes go, it uses the benelli/beretta chokes. So they are easy to find. I picked mine up with a 24" barrel and full HD camo for $399 at Gander this spring. But it didn't have the fancy barrel like the one your looking at.

Every board I've been on were people have shot them rank them highly. Those that criticize them are generally the benelli(or other high price gun) owners who have never shot one. But I can see where they are coming from. When peopel are saying it's the same as a Benelli for a third of the price I'd get grumpy too. laugh.gif It's the exact same system. However, to be fair the tolerances may not be as tight. But this hasn't seemed to affect performance. Definitely a lot of bang for the buck.

I've been shooting a Stoeger SXS 20 for pheasant and grouse for 10 years. I have been very happy with it. I can't figure out why you don't see more of them, I suppose because as you said the price seems too good to be true and people think they are substandard. Mine has been a great gun. Remington choke tubes fit in mine.

I bought the 2000 last year, used it for duck hunting. It worked fine for me.

I'm glad to hear people are having good experiences with Stoegers. I may have to think about getting one after all. I never bought a gun last year, just decided to stick with my 1187 rem.

Alright, you twisted my arm. Esp. Borch. I remember reading about your patterning results this spring.

Though I'm very satisfied with my turkey gun, it's never a bad idea to have a good backup, especially on long trips.

I own a browning gold hunter 3.5", and the cantilever deer barrel is $400!!!!! You'd think the steel had gold fleck in it. I already purchased this barrel, but think I'll take it back and buy Cabela's M-2000 special going on until Sept. 5th. M2000, field barrel, and cantilever rifled barrel for $499. Spend another hundred bucks and I get another gun, for both deer and birds, rather than just an overpriced barrel.

Any advice/opinions on that one? It's tough, and I'm really on the fence never owning a Stoeger before. Part of me says that it's too good to be true. Exactly what i want; an autoloader with a cantilever rifled barrel and field barrel for under $500? Doesn't seem quite right. Wish browning's barrel didn't make my gold look so durn purdy.

Joel

Yesterday my dad got the Stoeger 2000 that was on the Cabelas sale. He was really surprise when it came with 4 choke tubes including one for turkey and a truglow sight. The gun is very light weight. I think he's really happy with it even though he hasn't shot it yet.

I was reading all the posts on here and was wondering on getting one for my wife. For $500.00 on an auto with two barrels and some chokes plus has the same or close to equal quality of the bennelli's, that's a really great price to beat. I'm gonna go check it out this week end.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Another thing is that when I've talked to the guys at Gander or Reeds is that they don't stay on the shelves long. When I bought mine I left my info to call me when they got in as they were out the previous two times I stopped in. I just happened to stop in and they had recieved a shipment of 12 of them the day before. I got the last one.

Another thing is that they hadn't received many complaints on the guns. The year before the was a problem with the camo finish on their wood stocks coming off. Since they've switched to composite stocks and the problem was solved.

I own a 12 o/u and a .410 side-by-side, both are great guns that I've never had any problems with.

Three friends of mine bought .410's at the same time I did (last february)and all three had trouble with miss-fires at first. Two of them have worked the guns pretty hard twice this summer and they have worked flawlessly. Maybe it was the cold? who knows, but they're working well now.