• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

bear hunting with a shot gun?

bobbersgone

my buddy is going bear hunting with a 12 ga shot gun, and needs to know what load/ slug is good for bear? thanks

Iam going to use my 12 gage remmington 870 gun no scope just the rifled barrel shots will be close under 50 yards i shoot the remmington 3 inch copper sabot slug its awesome shot a hog down in tennesse some years back those slugs are good medicine for bears you wont go wrong have a great hunt. savy

If the shot will be close range - say 50 yards or less the old foster style or the newer buckhammer type are deadly. Have seen three bears shot out of trees with em and all were dead when they hit the ground. If the shot may be longer, the sabots as mentioned earlier are probably the way to go.

I used lightfield 3" commander sabot. They are by far, more superior on knock down power and very accurate than any other brands I've tried in the past. That's if you are using a rifle shotgun barrel. If you are using a smooth bore barrel, I would shoot the briennke slugs they too have alot of knock down power and also accurate for smooth bore barrel. You shouldn't have a problem taking the bear down with these 2 brands I've mention. Well, good luck on your bear hunt.