• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

GOOD ALL AROUND SHOTGUN 4 MY WIFE?

lunker651

I been thinking about buying my wife a shotgun but don't really know which one to buy. She wants to go hunting with me this year for small game and maybe deer. I got my mind set on a winchester 1300 ranger 20 ga. and a remington 870 20 ga. Tell me what you think about these two and if you have others in mind let me know about it.

Both are fine - I would look to the 1100 20ga youth?

Less recoil with an autoloader and built smaller...

My $.02

how much you going to spend? Why not go with a 12 gauge? My daughter shot an 870 hunting last year. Bought her an 11-87 for her birthday. Not to much of a gun for a 13 year old.

the 870 20 gauge youth is an excelletn and smaller built gun. it dostn recoil too much, very accurate with slugs, reliable, and cheap!!!!!! Im a big 870 fan but if ur wife can go bigger go for the extra power of a 12 gauge. a great idea to do would be to have her shoot your gun and or your friends at the range to see if she can handle a 12 or not.

Personally I'd look for a gas operated 20 ga. autoloader. Make sure it fits your wife. That may mean a shorter stock and the toe bent outward or rounded off so it doesn't dig into her breast when the gun is fired. A youth auto would be a good place to start.

gspman

I second the Remington 1100 LT-20, or the 870 youth, I've shot both on the trap range and own the 1100. I don't mind the recoil of a big gun, but the 20 is so light that you don't even realize when it goes off, except for the noise and every once in a while something falling from the sky.

Another option to think about- 16 ga, more pop than a 20, but still less recoil than a 12, I own 2 remington 1100 16's, my favorite gun by far, light to carry, but packs almost as much shot as a 12. Downside to 16's is that shell choices are limited, and most of the guns are a bit spendy to start out, or built on a 12 ga frame, making them no quicker than a 12.

I have a little twist for you to think about. First, count yourself extrememly lucky to have a wife who wants to do that with you. I would give my left pinky for mine to take an interest in hunting with me. So given that, why not buy her a really nice auto? Show her how happy you are to have her with you? Try a Beretta 20 ga. Or a Browning. Bring her to the store and let her pick out which one feels best to her. Just don't be cheap, get her what she wants....you will never regret it.

Also, if you play your cards right, after a year or two, she might return the favor.

Personally I wouldn't go to a 20 gauge, especially for deer hunting. I couldn't hardly hit a grouse on the fly with a 20 gauge, but that's me. wink.gif

I bought my wife a 12 gauge 870 and this gun works well for her. We didn't want to break the bank on a shotgun not knowing if she was interested in hunting or not, so we chose this gun. It's worked well for upland birds and ducks. No complaints.

My wife started with an 870 youth 20 gauge, nothing wrong with that. Once we got into turkey hunting she upgraded to a Beretta 391 Urika RL 12 gauge. It has a reduced length of pull, fits her perfect with no stock modification (she's 5' 4"). I think it is marketed as a trap or target gun, but it is equally handy in the field. It is much more expensive than the 870 youth, so it may be a gun your wife works up to, but just so you know it's out there. We got a heck of a deal on hers at Reeds, I think because unless you have small hands it is not comfortable to shoot. I suppose they were looking to move it.

I agree with the youth Remington 1100 auto. If your looking for lighter higher quality alternative beretta used to make a youth/women's 391 auto in a 20guage (I don't know about their 2005 line-up). The only tough part with these type of guns is that most retailers won't carry them and used ones are near impossible to find. You usually end up ordering them and paying full price.

your taking her hunting?!?!!? i drew the line at ice fishing with me i couldnt imagine hunting with the ol lady i like my time away with the boys. but if that is your thing go for it! how about a Benelli Montelfeltro (spelling) they are light and easy to swing.

Thanks, to all the infos. I had my wife shoot my Auto-5 12ga and my friend's 20ga and she really didn't mind the recoil of the 12ga. I was going to get her the 11-87 but I was reading the stoeger post about the stoeger M-2000 combo and $500.00 bucks for the gun, plus two barrels and some chokes, also has the same or close quality of the bennelli's, that's a hard price too beat. I'm gonna go check it out this weekend.

Autos kick less but if she is not an experienced gun handler an auto can be dangerous. I've seen it.