• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

So, who's fishing and for what?

turiprap

I'm extremely fortunate to live close to a number of high quality trout streams. For years, I pounded them spring through fall, but last year my personal schedule filled up with a project that kept me off the rivers on weeknights through high summer. I made up for that by heading off to wadeable size smallmouth rivers on Saturdays or Sundays. The smallie waters were further away, so I made sure to make a day of it when I went. I had a blast - to the point that I more or less set my trout equipment down in late June and hit the smallmouth trail again this year. I've had good fishing in central MN, SE MN and north-central WI and have even brought a couple of modest-sized muskies and northerns to hand along with lots of hard-fighting smallmouth. How about you folks?

Same here!

Smallies all summer, in fact I have only been trout fishing twice this year. Pound for pound you can't hardly beat the fight.

Been all over, northern St. Croix and Mississippi to the Root Zumbro.

I am biding my time for the fall steelhead/salmon run up here. With a newborn, my "play" days have taken a different tone lately - a very good one, though not fishy.

The wife and I did take a recon trip to the Brule two weeks ago. I snorkeled in a known lake-run hangout and saw a few that pushed 18-inches: suckers! The water was warm and low. It was neat to see the structure from a fish-eye view.

I've been fishing for a range of fish myself. I'm in the Twin Cities and getting to trout streams in the evening after work isn't an option. I've started fly fishing for largemouth bass this year, and also tried fly fishing the Minnesota River (I think it's the Minnesota) down by Fort Snelling State Park. I didn't get anything out of the river unfortunately.

I have had some success fishing for largemouth on the fly using deer hair poppers, divers and clousers. Largemouth have seemed kind of sluggish lately so I'm kinda hoping fall temps will liven things up soon.

I also have a lake in mind I'd like to get on for musky on the fly. Odds are pretty good of hooking into on on this lake, but there's the bite curve of the fly rod also that could make it more challenging.

Also planning on heading up the the Brule in mid-September for some lake run fish. I can't wait to get up there for that. I've been dying for the last couple years to fish for some of those lake fed monsters.

Too much fishing going on in my head and too little time.

I haven't tried fly-fishing for smallmouth yet. Not sure where good smallmouth waters are around the Twin cities. If anyone has a suggestion on where in the Twin Cities good smallie waters are it'd be appreciated.

I was out in Wyoming just a few weeks ago.

Fishing was a blast.

Not as many trout in Wyoming streams as in Minnesota streams, but Wyoming trout are twice as fat as ours and twice as big. I caught several browns over 20+ with the biggest coming in at about 24-25 inches. Also caught Brookies, Rainbows, Cuttbows and 3 of the 4 kinds of Cutthroat Wyoming has.

Cann't wait to go back!!!

I've been out on average of three times a week for the past two months for trout in southeast MN. Once the season closes Sept. 30, I put away all of my fishing stuff in favor of the bow and arrow.

I've been to the Central Lakes area a few times and have done reasonably well for northerns and panfish on the fly.

Where did you go in Wyoming and what did you use mostly? I am taking a trip to Yellowstone and the Tetons at the end of this week. I have never been out there and I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to fly fishing. I've gotten the fly rod out more this year than I have in the past 5 years and have mostly fished for smallies with good success. Any pointers you want to throw at me are much appreciated.

I'm glad to hear that the recent run of hot weather didn't put a damper on folks' fishing. I had another good smallmouth outing yesterday on a north central WI river that was new to me. Hot weather was definitely not a problem, but cool temperatures and a wind that sometimes made casting all but impossible were!

Keep fishing and keep those reports coming! They take the edge off a work day.

Swamprat, I fished all over when I was there. I did fish the North Fork of the Shoshone river which is just East of Yellowstone. Caught some nice cutts there. I'm told your nuts to fish there without a buddy because of the grizzlies, so I hope you'll be fishing with someone while your out there.

We caught most if not all of our bigger trout on streamers and raps. Never seen any big hatches that that part of the country is famous for. I did see tons of caddis in the trees close to the stream and did see a few trout taking them, but again the bigger trout came on streamers and raps.

Since you are going to be fly fishing I would look on the net for a fly shop in the area you are going to be staying in. They will be able to help you more when it comes to the hot fly and hot stream.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the info, Renneberg. I will be fishing with my father-in-law, and we will be watching for the grizzlies. I have seen 2 in Glacier, but not while fishing there. I'm sure we will make plenty of noise to alert them as he likes to talk alot grin.gif We may even take the advice of some people and put bells on our packs, and maybe even carry some pepper spray, which I hope I never have to use.

Experienced guides and park rangers will tell you to put bells on your pack so you don't startle the bears.

They will also show you how to tell the difference between black bear and grizzly bear poop on the trail.

The grizzly bear poop is the stuff with the little bells in it. smile.gif

I am visiting my parents near Alex and brought the fly rod with. I managed to pull in two carp yesterday fishing a cloudy stream using whooly buggers. The biggest went about 15 lbs. For those of you who have never tried for carp using a fly rod, it is definitely a must.

I've landed one carp on a fly. It took a green over white Clouser minnow and went about ten pounds. A very strong fish. This was on the lower St. Croix River and the fly couldn't have been more than about five feet down in ten feet of water. Kind of an odd grab.

An acquaintance of mine has gone gaga over fishing the flats off Door County, WI for carp. He says it reminds him of bonefishing, except that he likes it more! He had a picture of a 34" fish that was really kind of a handsome animal, very gold and not the dirty brownish-olive that one commonly sees around here. I'm still wondering about this as a sport, but his claim that the fish had the fly line and 220 yards of backing out impresses me!