• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

18" Small Mouth considered Big???

mnsnowdaboy

Sorry guys but I'm a noob and I've done my research. Well I just caught the biggest smallie in my life, it's 18" but I didn't weigh him it's pretty fat though. I caught him in the St. Croix River, guess in my short time as a beggining fisherman I'm not sure if it's worth to celebrate for act like it's no big deal, it's one of many to come.

I can't wait for that trophy fish so I can plaque it. Is a Small Mouth even worth doing a Taxidermy on it. I know walleyes and large mouths are sought after but are smallies considered great fishes???

Any help would be great, I'm getting the impression that a 18" smallie is nothing to get exited about.... confused.gif

Is it a trophy to you?

If it is then by all means mount it and or have a fiberglass replica made.

Don't worry about what everyone else thinks.

I don't mean that in a rude way, but a trophy is only a trophy to the person that caught it--if you are seeking validation from others it probably isn't the trophy you're looking for and you should wait.

I almost crapped the first time I caught an 18 inch smallie, I have since released a couple of twenties, but they were not up to what I feel my trophy smallie would be.

This is your decision and you should make it with pride and satisfaction. You might not ever catch another smallie that big, you might catch the new state record, your decision.

Hey thanks, I really appreciate your advise. Well I guess I wound mount the fish, yes I have confidense in myself I can do better but I guess my friends and I don't usually target smallies. Are they even a worthy fish like walleyes and large mouths?

What is the state record for smallies too?

Well off to the races, 20" is my next goal. wink.gif

Hey.

It's a nice fish.

Don't worry about it. You'll get another as big or bigger.

Having it mounted or making a replica is expensive.

Personally, I'd just take a picture and call it a day (unless I thought it might be a record).

Yes, Smallmouth are just as noble a fish as any other, so let yourself be excited. Don't worry about anyone elses judgement on whether your catch is "worthy" or not.

Each species has something that makes them sought after, and makes each one of them someones favorite fish. Also keep in mind the fact that some people may fish in an area where the fish of a given species may be larger than they are in other places, so what I may consider huge may be average to someone else.

Anyway, nice fish. Hope you catch many more.

Good Luck

Joe's KId

Wait--I just asked a buddy of mine...turns out a walleye is one of the many fish in this state that aren't Bass.

STATE RECORD

8 pounds, no ounces, length not available, West Battle Lake (Otter Tail County), 1948

Source: MN DNR website.

No length was given, but I'm pretty sure it was more tham 18".

(Just giving you a hard time). smile.gif

As for the Smallmouth being worthy, that's for you to decide.

Good Luck

Joe's Kid

I personally enjoy smallmouth fishing over largemouth fishing. IMO they put up a better fight, pound for pound over a largemouth. And add a little current in the river, and what a blast! Love their colors too. An 18" smallie is a very nice fish. If you keep fishing smallies thru the fall, you are bound to catch bigger ones as well. Good Luck!

You've caught a very nice fish. Some waters produce bigger smallmouth than others, so it's a trophy if it's a trophy to you. I have seen many 18" smallies mounted and swimming on the wall, so you wouldn't be the only one to ever memorialize a catch of that size. I suspect that you will catch an even bigger one, once you get one the next one comes a little easier. Nice catch and good luck on another!

An 18" smallie in terms of a trophy would be similiar to a 25 or so inch walleye(around 5-6lbs). Darn nice fish, no doubt about that. I have a buddy that has said a few times that he would mount one over 20". Last year he caugth one a hair under 20" and didn't mount it. I think he was just as happy to snap a photo or two and then let it go. That's where I get my satisifaction as well. You have to decide if you want it on the wall. 18" is trophy in my book. I've caught several that size and bigger and yes they are trophys. Should trophy fish be released to someday become super trophys?

I mounted an 18" smallie, the first fish I ever mounted.

To me it was an absolutely beautiful fish, and I wanted that memory.

Since then, I've released a half dozen 18's a few 19's two 20's and a 21!

I want a 22 or 23.

Smallmouth are a unique fish to me.

They are a trophy species because they are not overly common to begin with. And they are fighters.

I love smallies.

For me the acid test is simply;

"Can I put it back in the lake?"

:-)

An 18 inch fish is a nice fish where ever or whoever you are. Congrats! I, myself, was totally pumped when I caught my first over 18 inches. I was practically jumping off the walls. Since then I have studied up on smallies, did my homework, and inhanced my skills. This spring and early summer a caught many 20's and 19's on every outting. My largest is 20.5. I'm still waiting to connect with "my trophy" of 21 plus inches. A trophy is whatever you want it to be. Congrats again on the nice fish.

I agree, a trophy or whether its worthy or not is in the eye of the beholder. Don't ever let someone put you down or try to make you feel bad for mounting a fish.

That being said, it would be better to have a replica made if the fish can be released ok. Futhermore I would not keep and mount a smaller fish of the same species.

Enjoy your trophy and good fishing.

Hey der thats a pretty nice one. Congrats it'll look nice on the wall. A mount of the real fish itslf will look much more realisic than any replicant can. As tom said earlier don't worry what others think. Again congrats on a nice fish, enjoy!

Regards....fiskyknut

smallmouth are a beautiful fish at any size. I have guided people who have caught 18's 19's. My personal best was 21" from the mississippi r. in down town mlps. i released it. live another day. I'll do a replica later. I really enjoy getting people on these little fighters.

18 incher is a nice fish and every bit of 3lbs I'd guess. I'm always a happy guy catching a 18 inch smallie. But if you like hunting smallies and you hone your skills it's not too hard to get them much bigger. I'm a guy who puts the smallie as #1 or #2 on the list of what I like to catch. The things are so tough and I have ultimate respect for them...I'd never mount one...I'll have a replica made of that 2 footer when I get her. So if you release that true 5 1/2-6 1/2 lb trophy (21-22 incher) you may get a shot at her when shes 7. As for that state record most of us don't think there are smallies in West Battle.....anyone ever caught one in West Battle?

Pete, you know if there was a guy to catch a smallie from WB it would be you. grin.gif

Never heard of or seen one out of there. OT has them however. Strange.

My personal best is a 19" smallie. 18" is very nice!

I guided smallmouth for many years, and 18" was our officially established cutoff to call it a "big fish". 20" we called pigs. This was east coast and the fish tended to be lankier and grow longer pound for pound. Minnesota fish are stouter and I'd guess grow more slowly. Mississippi puts out a lot of fish in that range but (in my limited experience) the St. Croix fewer, especially in the upper reaches. I've fished it a fair amount and so far have not broken 17". On Lake Erie an 18" fish would be considered average and would probably outweigh one of my Shenandoah 18 inchers by 3/4 of a pound.

Also, my personal best lengthwise--a 23 1/2 inch New River fish, taken on a flyrod in mid-May--was spawned out and barely topped five pounds. In mid-March it might have challenged the VA state record.

Here's an article I wrote for Riversmallies.com on the topic. Most of the links are dead, though.

http://www.riversmallies.com/guestart_dmotes6.html

ice

Ive been wondering about the State record thing! Has anyone ever caught a smallie in there? And why dont they have a length on that fish? Seems very odd to me!

I caught a 22 and a 23 inch smallies on a metro lake this summer... in just a few days.. very lucky.. so I'd say 18" is a good fish.. but not worth the money to mount or replicate.. In fact.. I don't think a 23 inch is worth $400 or whatever they charge for replicas. Pix and memories are where it's at! See my pix in the bass forum ("Trophy sized smallmouth" post)

I have got a 16" on the wall. Oh wait thats a crappie. grin.gif

But really I would have to agree with others on this. that is a nice catch. I don't usually target bass I am more of a walleye guy but on the st. croix in the fall I have connected with some smallies that make me wonder If I shouldn't be chasing them with more intent at least 1 of 3 times out on the water.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, everyone has standards to them. I know people who have mounted a 24 inch walleye because the memories associated with that fish was the main reason he had it mounted, sometimes the story is always better than the catch. You have to remember, something will always be caught thats bigger and there are always fish that will be smaller.

Thanks for all the feedback, so my mindset is like this...." I Will catch bigger ones for many years to come" but yes this one will definitly be remember since it as my first real big one.

Next time I catch a 20" plus one, I'm taking a picture, releasing it, then getting a replica made. smile.gif

My sad story

A few years back I had caught a 23.5 large mouth (w/mouth open). At the time I was on a metro catch and release only for bass lake so she had to go back. I often day dream of that fish hanging on the wall but I smile knowing she still swims. Now for me, I need to catch one just a little bigger to put a replica on the wall.

That why we keep going back day after day!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

mnsnowdaboy, Its a nice fish. Will you get one bigger? Most likely if you target that type of fish.

You being a beginner, can be proud of that size fish as a large stepping stone for bigger things to come. Keep a mental note from now on as to how, where, when and why you fish as you do. Do that and in time things make sense when your on the water. You'll be duplicating your success over and over because you know the whys and how comes.

At any rate your hooked so make the bast of it.

Good Luck.