• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2005/2006 ICE FISHING LEAGUE

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about what a great time i had fishing a summer fishing league for the last 16 weeks that it would be fun idea to start a similar league for ice fishing. I was thinking maybe a "every other week" sort of thing where we would meet on a different body of water. I have already started working on rules, details, schedule, and so on. So I was wondering how much interest there would be here on FM and if anybody had any input. Let's see what people think about this idea and how many people would like to see something like this happen.

sounds good cheffrey, you know i can use your help. I am making an early season prediction of team "Cheffrey/Walleye King" winning it all this winter. grin.gif

I should be able to find some time for that, sounds like a good time. Summer's been great, but I'll welcome that first coating of ice. Hopefully we can drum up some interest and get this thing going.

Thats good stuff, smirk.gif

Quick if your hooksetting abilities continue into the winter you won't be much contention. blush.gif

You guys could be in big trouble with this one. I may have to come out of league retirement. Team Poutslayer/Northlander is huge! No pun intended. grin.gif

Count me in. Now I have to get a snowmobile for sure.

Thats unless we have to chase rockbass and largemouth. blush.gif

OK sounds like there might be enough interest to continue on.

Teams so far:

Northlander/Poutslayer

Quickstrike/Cheffrey

IlltakewhatIcanget/?

Ran & Nut is that interest or just throwing out the good stuff? blush.gif

Keep em coming folks and we can set up a social hour somewhere to figure out details & rules.

What kinda lakes do we want to see?

This is what we were thinking:

Early Fish Lake

Chequagamon

St. Louis River/Bay?

Chub

Nichols

Got Lakes?

I'd have to wait to commit. I'll have to see what days your looking at first.

I'm definately interested, but also would have to see the days, etc before I committed. If you guys wanted to do a deal down my way, I can help put it together.

We were thinking Sundays, the only problem with that is football. But then again thats a good reason to get out of the house to go fishing. We all have radios right?

"Honey instead of having people over to watch the game we are gonna go sit on a lake"

I think it has potential smile.gif

Two more added on from work, they don't have screen names yet though.

Sturgion Lake, Island Lake, Pike Lake, Rice Lake. Maybe do a Lake Trout day up in Snowbank?

This could also be a individual deal as well because I know I cant get Poutslayer out on weekends. He works every Fri-Mon.

Maybe Outddor Ran can be my partner or maybe Randy from League will want to learn the sport.

I would really like to see this be a fun and informational deal unlike Mon. night league is now. With the crew we have now it shouldnt be a problem.

On another note, Cheffrey can I barrow your little boat and 25 horse to hit Sag? Your welcome to come along too.

Sundays won't be a problem for Vikings fans. Might as well go ice fishing and hear the dismal score second-hand hours later than sit in front of the TV jumping up and down in frustration and spilling perfectly good beer all over the wife's furniture.

Now, I can see why Packers fans might want to wait and see, since the Pack is ALWAYS back! grin.gif

Quote:

Now, I can see why Packers fans might want to wait and see, since the Pack is ALWAYS back!
grin.gif

omg so this is what i must warn my kids about..obvious after effects an delusions from chasing the great salmonoid...

hope this is a rare side-effect

maybe i can look forward to alzhiemers before them effects set in...heard it was fun..can hide yer own easter eggs grin.gif

go vikings!!

btw id be interested in joinin ya all some sunday afternoon regardless...maybe during a packers an viking game...since grandpa farve is still playing the game itll be a snoozefest anyway

After looking at a calender I was thinking of making this an 8 week league. We would fish every other sunday and at the end of the year drop everybody's low two scores so everybody can afford to miss a week or two. The lakes I have listed so far that we should pick from would be Fish, Chub, Nichols, Grand, Amnicon, Sturgeon, Rice, and then St Louis Bay, Chequamigan Bay, and then we could also have a day to target lakers with Jim out in Bayfield. I want to keep most of the lakes within a reasonable drive from the duluth/superior area since most of us will be doing enough traveling as it is to attend ice leaders events so we should also keep that in mind.

I also think this should be a multi-species league where almost any fish can score you points if it is big enough. I will post what each fish and what size scores what as soon as i have it .

We could do this as an individual thing but i think teams make things more fun plus that way we will always have a partner giving you a hard time if someone forgets to show up, which should lead to better turn outs. (plus cheffrey is going to need someone to carry him once again) grin.gifblush.gif Just kidding tom, but anyways, if teams are a problem for people we can be very leanient on a sub policy and i could see no problem with teams doubling up if a couple guys are missing a partner for a week.

So let's get some feedback guys, the league will be on sundays, we just need to figure out what time works best for everyone and what lakes we want to hit. I am fully commited to making this a very organized and fun thing, and plan on putting up a website with teams, standings, schedule and so on. Thanks for the responses guys, keep em coming!

I may be interested also depending on the dates. Sorry if I missed it above, but is there going to be cash involved or strictly for bragging rights? Sounds pretty cool.

Granny

I doubt any cash will be involved, this should be for fun and to maybe learn something.

I was also thinking of getting a crew together to do a Red/LOW trip on early ice.

me and cheffrey were thinking a small sum would be involved just to make things interesting but nothing more then you would already be spending on gas and bait. I have also been talking to a few people who may be able to help out by donating some prizes for weekly winners or whatever we want to do with them.

Steve the Pack will be WAAAAY BACK this year. Detroit will beat them twice and Chicago at least once. Vikes will take them twice as well.Farve will be hurt 3 games in and wont be back until just before the playoffs. This wont matter because they wont make them this year. The next 10 years will be lean for the Green n Gold.

OK, I'm going to bite my lip on the Pack/Vikes banter. I think you all know what side I'm on. grin.gif

As far as an ice fishing league, count me in. In fact if someone were to see me right now, they might say, "Were you just reading about an ice fishing league, or are you just happy to see me???" blush.gif I have all weekends off, however I will say that I am really gonna struggle with Sundays until the season is over. (Insert comment about Packer's season ending early here.) My only agenda on Sundays is to watch football all day on the couch. I know, I'm a lazy piece of crap, but I might miss a couple in December and January. It sounds like things are already decided, but what was the reasoning behind Sunday vs. Saturday?

Also, I will have to think a bit regarding a partner. I have one particular fellow Pack fan in mind who Northlander is very familiar with. (Right now he is thinking, oh sh*t, we're all dead if Jared recruits the son of Genz himself.) At any rate, I think this is a great idea, Quick.

Can anyone tell I've got the itch for hard water already?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I've got to many favorite lakes to fish where committing to a league wouldn't work but I might swing a couple. I'd like to see the friendly area ice gatherings continue also, hopefully we can still do both. Lets not forget about the Ice Series either. I know the official Events will be reduced this year but there'll still be the Just for Fun Gatherings. Maybe once those dates are final you could incorporate those Events into your League?

I like the idea of incorporating a ice event into the calendar ST. Then again depends on what the events are this year, Maybe bring the whole gang to one on a off week???

G&G we thought sundays over saturdays for those of us (mainly Quick & I) that work in the hospitality biz. Saturdays in general are pretty much a no go for us.

We could do a first week prize of a portable TV, but then again G&G you would be pretty much better buying your own instead. blush.gif

Steve, the 14' hasn't been registered this year as there was not much use for it...sorry. frown.gif

I believe Granny's suggestion would distract me much more than a portable TV!

Cheffrey, at least you guys have a good excuse not to be able to fish on Sundays. I just don't want to miss my beloved Packers. Oh God, I love dem Packers!! grin.gif

I'm in and I hae a partner too. Sunday's are grrreat!!! and who really cares about that pro football...... College ball is where it's at!!!!

G&G get you Dorito's eating ars off the couch and come fishing. Tape the dang Packers losses. At least that way you can save yourself the headaches and fastforward threw to the good part. Another Packer loss. blush.gif

As far as the son of Genz being your partner I have seen him fish ( Consume ) and its no worry. wink.gif

Well, I can't commit - however, I'm interested!

I have a bunch of gear that hasn't hit the ice in 6 years!

B2

I'm interested, just can't commit either. I could be a sub maybe.

GO PACK!!!