• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Otsego Report

PhoenixSun

Well, here goes my first post. I am somewhat new to the Otsego area and have owned a fishing pole for all of 1 year. I tend to get into things quite seriously, and fishing has been no exception. I usually fish from shore on the 'Sipi around Otsego Park and Babcock areas. I had some success fishing eddies right in the quick moving water using texas rigged soft plastics. I also have a lot of success using mimic minnows in the slack water. How is everyone else doing?

Welcome to MN and the site. You'll find guys like HawgTide, SmallieHawgin, Riverrat316, Fonz, Eyeguy and others to be a wealth of information. Pay particular attention to their posts and you'll learn volumes. Something I learned from this site is to rig a 4" Yum Dinger wacky style with a small split shot. I have subsequently added a weedless hook which greatly reduces the number of snags. I have the best luck with bright colors. Good luck and good fishing!

I dont kow if I would say a "wealth of information"... well from me anyway.... but the previously mentioned stick baits (yum dingers, yamamoto senkos, case magic stiks) work real well wacky rigged (plain hook through the center) and I usually go weightless with those.

Thanks for the warm welcome and info to both of you (Sakman & Riverrat). Riverrat- I have read many of your posts and do see what Sakman means. I haven't tried the wacky rig yet- how do you fish it? Do you use a straight retrieve, or more like a "walk the dog" style? I have found that large in-line spinners work great in the slack water for northerns (temperature depending). As far as tubes, I have a bunch but don't really know how I should be using them either. My understanding is they represent crawfish, so I figured I should be working it to imitate one, but I have had no luck. I do enjoy the fact that the river is down some and I can do some wading, its tough to hit those eddies for any length of time without getting wet. I do have a canoe, but my girl is a little wary of taking it on the river, so we stick to lakes with that so far. Beebe has produced some sizable largies for us both. Does anyone target walleye on the river from shore, or are these caught by accident? Thanks for all the help!

The wacky rig is basically a deadstick type fishing cast it out let it sink (up current) and then just try to keep a semi tight line (its ok to let some droop in it) and watch the line for strikes. The easiest way to fish and rig tubes is with a tubejig head inserted in the body with an exposed hook (1/8 to 1/4 ounce works good) I guess the main thing with any bait is to remember there is no right or wrong way to fish the bait, experiment and find out what the fish want!

phoenix i cast alot off rapalas when targeting both smallies and walleye prefferably the hj10 in a shinner patteren from shore or where ever. othrwise in the fall its a 32nd ounce jig with fathead or small sucker.

PhoenixSun, Welcome to the show. You are in the heart of some good fishing. I think tubes in the river work best on a jig head, but if you use a texas rig, use a extra large Gap hook. Sounds like you know what your doing, so nothing beats experience, just get out there and fish. See you on the River.

RUN!!!!While you can!!!RUN!!! You're crossing over to the dark side....

Welcome...KT

I haven't gotten a chance to use the wacky rig yet, but am looking forward to giving her a try. I will have to experiment more with the tubes as well. There is soo much to learn, I have been picking up something new everytime I go out. Thanks to RiverRat, HT, KT, Sakman, and Madmax for the excellent welcome. It is my understanding that you are all outstanding fisherman (fisherpeople, is this site PC?) and I know I have a ton to learn. Your help is much appreciated. I did manage to land a few nice smallies (1 16, 2 around 14-15, oh plus 2 rock bass) yesterday from the banks of Otsego park. They seem to like any soft plastic with a pink tail. Wasn't having any luck with cranks, and was just catching rocks with the jig and pig. spent about an hour throwing spinners, but got nothing to show for it.

Tubes are best fished from a short angle--that is, fairly close to the angler, so you're in contact with the falling lure and the line remains at a fairly wide angle relative to the river bottom. Shore or wade casting isn't the best application for them. I save the tube for fishing from a drifting boat. Have you tried senkos or flukes? That's my favorite low-water application, especially if you're wading. Works very well for the same reason the tube doesn't.

ice

• 1 month later...

I dont know about you guys but I've been fishing the river for about a week now and have'nt caught a single fish. What am I doing wrong? What should I use, where should I go, and what time of day/year? I only fish from shore dont own a boat. Please help if you can. frown.gif

Welcome....

Find swift water. Toss a in-line Mepps spinner above, in, and below the swift water. Thats a good start. I'm sure others will chime in shortly...

4in Yum Dinger, green, hooked wacky style with a small split shot about 24" from the bait. These things are deadly.

Fish current breaks. Current breaks are caused by rocks, trees or other obstructions. Also productive are the current seams where the moving water and slack water meet. Also bottom transitions areas where it goes from rock to gravel or vise-versa can be very hot.

There are a number of great places to fish between Monti and ER. When I waded I liked to wade around the Nashua Ave. launch site. As I recall, Riverrat 316 is an avid wader and may be willing to enlighten you further.

I was going to participate in the Sunday gathering, but that got the kibosh. Now there's a good chance I will be heading out on Saturday. Probably have an open seat in the boat if you care to join my son and I.

Thanks for all the helpful info everyone. Can you fish the yum dinger's from shore with the same effect? what time of day is a good time to fish? I appreciate the invite for this weekend but I have an archery hunt planned. Thanks anyway. Are the fish close to shore or more in the middle of the river?

Fished the river from shore last night and did ok. Total of 8 smallmouth, 1 walleye, 1 redhorse. Biggest smallmouth was 17". Lost more than that on missed bites.