• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boyesen Reeds

Mad Lake Bomber

Question

I am trying to pump a few more ponies out of my 115 Johnson and came across some info on Boyesen Reeds. From the info I got on their website (www.boyesen.com), it increases your RPMs but I couldn't get any specific numbers. They are banned on the BASSMASTER circuit so they must be good. Was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them and if they could get a thumbs up or down.

7 answers to this question

Just a thought: they are probably "banned" on the circuit because they have not ponied up the sheckles for "approval".....licensing.

Of course....I could be wrong.

I know a couple guys that rejetted their carbs to "pump a few more ponies" out of their motors. It was a bad deal every time, their motors never ran as good as they did before the rejetting, and any benefits were negligible at best. Bad, bad deal. If you like how your motor runs I would not **** with it unless you're the kind of guy that likes wrenching on motors just to be doing it. Good luck.

Get a SST custom prop if ya want better performance, and tune up your engine (new plugs, fresh gas)

Pumping more or less fuel/air then the engine was designed for will only cause engine idling issues, plug fouling issues, hot spots in the cylinders, etc etc etc.

Plus, if you gain 5 hp, you won't notice the difference more then likely anyways.

Just my opinion.

I think some of you may not understand the purpose of reeds. Reeds sit behind your carbs and act as valve. They have nothing to do with rejetting. If anyone has experience with these reeds, I would like to know.

Quote:

I think some of you may not understand the purpose of reeds. Reeds sit behind your carbs and act as valve. They have nothing to do with rejetting. If anyone has experience with these reeds, I would like to know.

Nobody was saying Reeds had anything to do with rejetting.

In a nutshell the Reeds in it self will do practicly nothing for you and would be a waste a money IMO.

If you want more HP and a noticeable performance increase get a bigger motor, if you want the optimum performance out of your current motor follow united jigstickers advice.

Hope this helps.

Even if there is an increse of power it will be approx 10hp (10% as "sold" by Boysen) which will incur in an increase of 3mph/4mph max speed, your speedometer won't even see it..

Do you really want to waste your money in something useless and possibly harmful ? This is not snowmobile or jetski, outboards are much different.

Other issue:

- Snowmobile motor $ 500

- Outboard motor $ 5,000

You do the math.....

A reed is a highly efficient one way valve. It controls the amount of air/fuel mixture entering the crankcase, then seals it in to prevent it from escaping. In a 2 cycle engine or an outboard motor, reeds perform the function similar to that of intake valves in a 4 stroke engine. The Boyeson brand is just a variation from a standard type reed in that it is a two stage design incorporating a stiff primary reed with a port (hole) in it, overlapped by a flexible secondary reed controlling the flow through the port.

The main benefit I see in Boyeson, is that most reeds are typically made of stainless steel. They're very durable, but if one breaks, the fragments can/will ruin your outboard.

The Boyeson model is a fiber reed, and should it break, will pass right through your engine and exit through the exhaust ports, and wont damage your motor. So if you are intent in putting in reeds they would be a good choice.

I agree with Valv and doubt that the performance gain will be noticeable enough to be worth the price. I have had them in snowmobile motors and they do improve throttle response and seem to give a better idle, but really didn't result in much more top speed.