• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Monti area report from Saturday afternoon

Hoffer

Just a quick report from this afternoon. We went out around Monti and had no luck at all. The river was way down - I would guess close to 3 feet since the last time we were out less than 2 weeks ago. Quite frequently I hear people on this site praising the lower water for producing better fishing - but for me - when the river gets low - I have my poorest fishing experiences. I dont know where the fish go - but we cant seem to find them when it gets low like this. Any advice or reports good or bad on this stretch recently?

I have not found lower water to always present more difficult fishing, but have had difficult fishing in the last week. I have tried different baits and presentations without much luck. The few fish I have caught have been larger, but too few.

Over the years i have always had luck fishing the holes in extremely low water periods. Just a thought.

We were out on Saturday afternoon and caught about 25 fish. Pretty good afternoon. The lower water means higher clarity so the fish seem to prefer the finesse type of presentations like Senkos in the middle of the summer. I like to fish the river like a lake and work the edges of drop offs that are typically found near the banks. Seems like any large rocks or logs you can locate in 3-6 feet of water will concentrate the fish. Also, dark colors seem trigger more fish than the bright colors we use when the water is a little more turbid. Also the deeper (2-3') riffles seem to be more productive now as well. At least when you fish riffles you are targeting fish that are actively feeding.

Float tube? Like with feet and flippers hanging out the bottom? I don't believe it, not where I've floated!?

BD

Have you ever met Riverrat316?

He is a "true" Riverrat. Do not think he can't pull it off.

The guy is very resourceful when it comes to the Miss. cool.gif

Why would you not believe it? I see almost as many float tube fishermen as i see kayak fisherman or canoe fisherman, a float tube is an awesome way to float a stretch of river, if Im by myself and can get a ride to the put in point I would rather float then boat! It takes alot to get used to sitting that close to the water and fishing, but its very enjoyable, Ive landed a 12 pound cat on my tube, hooked a muskie on Sugar lake (didnt land it though mad.gif), and have never once thought I was in danger of going in the drink!

I think your comment would have been best to keep to yourself

It's not that I don't believe it, it's just unbelievable in the "wow" sense.

I've floated a few rivers out west in my float tube, and I know it can be done. The areas on the Mississippi river that I've floated recently are getting pretty shallow, and I know first hand what a pain (literally and figuratively) it can be to hit shallow water in the tube.

Not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers

BD

When I went out on Saturday I didnt wear flippers so it would be easier to walk the shallow parts, I could almost touch bottom the whole 4 miles I floated, it definetely is alot shallower than alot of people think!

you guys must be talking about a deeper stretch of water than I am. The Monti areas were very shallow - I was floating over some areas in the boat thatt were only a foot deep max. Also, these areas didnt seem to have any drop off areas etc...when it got shallow - it seemed like the whole area was shallow. Maybe I have to get further upstream?? or further downstream??

Most of the areas I fished I could touch while sitting (about 2-3 feet deep) there is smaller holes in most shallow areas that are deeper that will hold fish, also the fast riffle areas seem to hold alot of small fish, but all my big fish have come from slow deepr areas, by deep its anywhere from 3-5 feet deep. One thing to keep in mind is I am almost always oriented towards the bank and working some sort of current break or type of structure near the bank, it seems to me that almost all of my bigger fish this year have come within 5 feet of the bank or structure. There is some excellent areas in between Montissippi park and Ellison you just have to recognize em

i live in monti rite by the bridge and ive been fly fishin with streamers and pitching 3 in tubes (brown) and killin em