• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

We have rented a houseboat on Birch Lake for the 1st time from August 12-15th and are looking for info about the lake. I know August is a tough time for fishing but I would take any info about walleyes, northern or smallies that I could get, depths, presentations, types of bait. I have looked on the DNR website and I have a map, they say that Birch does not have too many smallmouths, is this true? Again, thanks for any info, no matter what it should be a great time.

If you do a search in this forum there are some past posts on birch. Started fishing it last year for eyes, not too much luck so far. Alot of people will tell you it is a tough lake to fish and get too know. Watch the shallows there are a lot of rocks and sand bars to bottom out on. As you can see from the map Birch is a long narrow lake. try the points and reefs to start with.

Oprisc

Oprisc, thanks for the info. I did check those out but for the most part they talk about early season fishing. If anyone could help out where to start, depths, baits, to find a few during the 'dog days' of August I would appreciate it.

There must be sombody out there that fish Birch in August? Any info would be great. Thanks again.

I'll be up there Wednesday! I only fish the West side (14ft boat w/6hp motor) so I can't give you locations other than that. I've found a good bite once and a while on the West side of Deer Island just outside the bouys. The depth varies between 7ft and 15ft. I usually slow troll using a lindy rig with a leech. The other spot I've caught fish is just outside the river entrance. It's only around 9ft but they seem to like hanging around there.

Good luck

Dave

I just did the houseboat thing on birch lake through timberbay houseboats. First off, bring your boat if you have one. I'm really glad I did, just tie her on to the side of the houseboat. I did the 4 day midweek trip. Fishing wasn't great, but I'll tell you how I did. I too had NEVER fished this lake so it was a bit daunting. The walleyes are shallow, caught 2, had 3 follow right to the top and bump the bait - wierd! Caught 5 crappies, 2 were 13 inchers. I docked on an island that was a campsite on the resort map just past chin's (sp?) bay. Caught all the crappies while casting off the island at 8:30pm. Smallies are in the bays, I caught 4, biggest 16 inches. I caught one northern in a bay - small, but that's were I was told they are, some are supposed to be monsters. I marked a slew of fish in north bay, two campsites are at the end of this bay. The service guy said people were catching wallys right off the back of the houseboat when docked for the night. Most of these guys are tight lipped, only one guy was giving out spots that I know of. The crappies & walleyes like a FAST retrieve, I couldn't get them drifting with a slow presentation. Use crankbaits for the walleyes, I used a wally diver. Fish were in 6-10 feet, I marked a lot in 15-20, but the guy said they might be tulibees. Evenings are supposed to be best as one would think. If you see mayflies - that's a good sign, the guy told me the crappies & walleyes are gorging themselves on these. I noticed them when the crappies hit. It's an unusual year for mayflies up there, bumper crop I guess and running late hence the name. Bring LOTS of tackle, I lost between 25-30 jigs and my favorite gold crankbait. If you get you line hung up, back up and some times you get you tackle back, sometimes it just gets wedged in rocks or sunken trees and SnAp! If you go all the way up to the end of birch plan on adding $100 for gas as that's NOT included. Have fun.

Firetiger/Catch22, thanks for the info. The info is perfect for a starting point. Catch22, yes we do have our own boat (18 foot Crestliner/60 hp). No matter what it will be a great time. I will let you know how we did when we get back.

Coach, don't forget the windward sides of the numerous islands. It's usually payed off in the evenings for me when I've been poking around. Most island shoreline breaks are gradual but there's a few with a good steady drop and nice structure. You've got some good advice already so I'll just add watch your depth with the big boat. I've done the houseboat thing there half a dozen times through Timber Bay. Stay clear of anything that looks questionable. You'll have a great time and Birch is awesome for houseboating. Ron and his wife are good folks as well as Rob down at the marina. Good Luck!

Thanks Chunky, I will give the islands a shot also. It sounds like the temp. will be cool also, I will take cool before too hot. One more question, what is the closest bait shop in the area? They may have some info also when I pick up my leeches and nightcralers.

When you get to Babbitt, take a left on the main drag towards the shopping center. Blombergs/Amoco/BP has bait and tackle. They also have bait at the Marina on Timber Bay. Buy the gas for your boat in town!

Overall it was a great time, the houseboat, the lake and the fishing. The walleye fishing was quality, not quantity. We caught 5 walleyes for the weekend, 16-20 inches using mister twisters with a spinner and no live bait in 5-10 feet of water during early morning and late evening only. We found them by accident looking for bass. The bass were aggessive also, largemouth and smallmouth. Caught all of them on surface plugs. We were fishing in and between north bay and pike bay. Thanks for all of the help and responses once again, all of the help was great. Thanks to Kinsey's, the people were great and the houseboat work well. We will be back.

birch can be tough this time of year...its been hot...so a cool down is a good thing...i had a trip there a few days ago and we fished hard...but not the greatest results.....caught some off of randy richert reef....named it after a client of mine...i would stay deeper....not that that is saying much ...because birch is real shallow....but i used to and still do catch them very shallow....like the guy with the spinners...beetle spins work well also....she will be a good lake this fall....good luck and set the hook!!

Jeez Gary, I'm blushing!

I cannot recall anyone ever naming anything after me, and to have a reef on my favorite Minnesota walleye lake named after me by a fisherman I respect is very cool, especially when it produces a couple of fish.

I plan to get up there in mid to late September, hope to see you on the water.