• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

1897 Winchester Question

ccarlson

Question

I have my grandfathers Model 1897 Winchester pump shotgun (12 gauge). When he gave it to me many years ago it had a rubber boot style recoil pad that has since gotten brittle and fallen apart. I haven't used it in 20 years but would like to hang it on the wall and perhaps shoot a pheasant some day with it for nostalgia.

I'm looking for a butt plate, either metal or authentic style screw on recoil pad, that I could fix it up with. Since it is an odd size stock (approximately 4.75" tall by 1.75" wide), I need help with where I could find one either new or used.

Any old gun experts out there that could help locate one?

Thanks,

ccarlson

carlsons at brainerd dot net

(also posted on Archery/shooting sports forum and hunting forum)

3 answers to this question

See if you can find a publication called the Shotgun News. I haven't read it for years, but I believe it is still published and it has outlets for all kinds of gun parts. Try to keep it as original as possible. I had one once so I understand that the piece is near and dear to your heart.

I would give Ahlman's in Morristown, MN a call. They have 2 rooms full of gun parts. You can find their website with a search.

http://www.merzantique.com/

Check out this website. LeRoy Merz is the guy's name and he lives just "kitty corner" to my parents up in Fergus Falls. Grew up doing odd jobs for the guy at times and he has quite the collection and knowledge of guns.

He's a great guy personally (from my own experience) and he specializes in Winchester.

Might be worth a shot.

Steve