• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Early goose hunting land

I know I'm really fishing here and hope this is appropriate. My hunting buddy and I are looking for local fields to hunt early goose. We live in Litchfield and would appreciate anyone who would be willing to allow us on their land for this purpose. My email address is [email protected]

Thanks

A little advise for ya. If you are looking for hunting land you really should scout out some territory, then ask the landowner in person for permission.

Face to face contact with a polite and personable fella will get you a lot farther than impersonal e-mail.

Just a thought.

Thank you for the advice. Yes I agree, that's the way my dad raised me, just a little shy asking for things is all!

I hear ya. I'm not a big fan of asking others for stuff either. You'd be surprised how many landowners will allow you to hunt their land after they meet you.

Well this is my second year waterfowl hunting but my buddy has hunted many years. I'm not real sure on the supplies he has.

Rebel, ease into the asking. Pick a time when you know or think the landowner/farmer is not busy (if there is such a time) and just start talking to him/her.

Start by introducing yourself and telling them where you live.

Tell them you've noticed geese working their fields (if its true) or ask them if they have a problem with the geese raiding their fields. Tell them you are looking for a place to hunt and would they mind if you and your buddies (let them know how many people would be hunting). Let them know what type of vehicle you would be driving and ask if you need to stop each time to let them know when you would be on their land or can you call the night before and ask permission.

You'd be surprised at how many times you are going to get a YES, you can hunt. Everyone likes to know who's going to be on their land and hope you understand you are asking permission for a specific day or weekend. Check back every time you want to hunt the land again. AND make sure you stop after the hunt to tell them THANKYOU and share your experience. It also never hurts to give them a nice ham or turkey after the season as a way of thanking them.

i am indeed part of that clan. though i go by a different last name. lots of cousins and uncle's and aunts.

• 2 weeks later...

great advice FOOT. you just have to be personable and respectful and it is amazing how frequently they'll say yes. make sure you meet them face to face to ask.

Went out last night and started knocking on doors. 3 hours and not one yes. Most said they already had hunters, some just said no. Guess I will have to spend a few more nights trying to find something. I did see some goose in the fields.

You're probably way too late. There a ton of people that hunt early goose now. Back when it first started it was nice. You wouldn't see hardly anyone hunting and I don't know if people even knew about it.

Now you have guys leasing fields and all that (Contact US Regarding This Word). smirk.gif

Makes it tough for the good ole boys, when you have people coming from the city with the big bucks!

Willy, not trying to start anything here but the guys from the cities with big bucks??????

I used to live in the cities and I can tell you I DID NOT HAVE BIG BUCKS.

I got my fields by knocking on doors and doing leg work.

I know have had the same fields for over 6 years.(bow hunting and field goose hunting when the crops come out)

I will agree, the other guy might be a little to late.

Good luck everyone.

P.S I know what you are saying, a lot of lands are leased up. Just thank god they aren't mine. smile.gifsmile.gif

Not saying that everyone in the city has big bucks. Just saying that it's turning into a rich man's sport just like all other hunting. It used to be easy to get permission on spots when you weren't fighting a bunch of other people for the same fields when half of them are leased up by some guy with no care for his money.

I've had plenty of spots that used to have permission to hunt only to have some rich guy come an lease or buy the spot and that was the end of that.