• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

6 Days...6 Lakes....Report with GPS #s

Sunday 7-24, Two Island Lake. Set up camp in the FS campground Sat. evening. Spent all Sunday working over the Smallies. Caught dozens up to 16 inches, mostly smaller, maybe in the 12 inch class. I can recommend the rocky shorline on the north side of the lake and also the rocks just East of the Dick lake inlet. The most procuctive (and fun) lure was again the Heddon Tiny Torpedo. WARNING: As you motor from the landing stay far to the right, the rocks are just below the surface if you wander to the left. Also, beware the reef at and around 47 52.501 N 09027.730 W. This was my third try at Two Island, I've caught bigger bass in the past but the numbers are still fun. Only one other boat in sight all day, windy.

Monday, 7-25, Crescent Lake. Never been here before. The fish went nuts just before the front moved in around 4 pm. Caught bass up to 16 inches and walleyes to 17 inches. Plenty of action on a hump at 47 49.791 N 090 45.882 W using hand tied spinner rigs with either crawlers or leeches. At one point we were both taking off fish when a 36 inch class Muskie nailed Chickenman's spinner rig just hanging over the edge of the boat! He broke off almost immediately, but for an hour the action was almost non-stop. Kept 4 eyes for supper. Only boat on the lake.

WARNING... Nasty submerged rock at 47 49.443N 090 45.807W.

Tuesday, 7-26 Elbow Lake. Fisrt time here. First, gotta vent about the misinformation in the new Minnesota Atlas, (DeLorme Publishing). They show the access on the west side, this is wrong, its actually on the east side off the Gunflint. This is a very shallow lake, under 8 feet. We found the biter walleyes were mostly concentrated around 47 51.909N 090 17.654W. They liked a Perch floating rapala trolled about 2.5 mph. Caught and released 6 or 7 all less than 17 inches. One other boat all day.

Wednesday, 7-27 Cascade Lake. First time here too. I love this lake. Structure galore. Only boat on the lake all day. Caught the first walleye one minute from the boat ramp on a Firetiger Rapala trolled at 3 mph in 7 feet of water. We went on to catch more on crank baits and live bait rigs all day, numerous locations, shallow and deep. Kept 4 for supper.

Thursday, 7-28 Greenwood Lake. First time here too. Rain on and off all day. Rock bass, dozens, hundreds of them. Caught them from 4 feet to 46 feet deep! No kidding! Never caught a walleye all day. Just didn't matter, leeches, crawlers, spinners, crankbaits...the rockbass hit them all. Only saw one other boat all day.

Friday, 7-29 Ballclub Lake. First time here too. Caught a nice 16 incher in 7 feet on a trolled rapala around 47 55.064N 090 30.097W in the northwest bay as soon as we got there. Spent the rest of the afternoon drowning leeches in the larger Southeast bay of the lake with no more success, we didn't even mark a fish on the graph. Got frustrated and went back to Cascade around 5 pm. Caught nice walleyes on a drifted gold blade spinner rig with a whole crawler in 4 to 5 feet at 47 52.120N 090 38.537W. Also got one in 6 feet in the South bay near the cabin using a black and white shallow crank bait trolling about 3 mph. Kept 3 for supper. One other boat on the lake.

An all-round fun way to spend a weeks vaction. Some nights were pretty cold around the campfire and we did get a little wet a few times but we still had a blast.

Sounds like you guys did real well. Next time you're at Greenwood, try for lake trout instead of walleyes. Lots of good laker action there last couple of years.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Sounds like a nice trip. Thanks for the report Polar Bear.

I dont know if giving coordinates was a good thing though. I hate to see that become a norm. Thanks for the report though.

Ah come on Steve. We know you want to give us coordinates for all your hotspots grin.gif

On another note, I've seen wrong roads marked and wrong landings on a couple three different brands of maps. Roads get re-routed over time and landing locations changed, and some of those maps aren't updated very often. It's frustrated me a time or two, as well.

Randy half my hotspots I smuggled out of you when I put you under hypnosis. Maybe it was just the Captain. grin.gif

Maybe Randy and Northlander should meet up with me some night. I'll need a tape recorder to gather all i would love to get outta you guys! Captain will be sailin!

Sailing with the Captain and a few $ may sway me a little. wink.gif I doubt I have anything that would interest ya. Randy on the other hand is a gold mine but he is too modest to let on. grin.gif

Steve, I don't think your fooling anyone wink.gif If anyone ever has a chance to share a boat or sit down and talk to Northlander about fishing I'll guarantee you that you will learn something.

Steve I'll be out on the lake tomorrow afternoon, you going to be out there? I might be out deeper after some trout and salmon. The wife catchs 3 big walleyes and she wants to move on to other fish. grin.gif

Thanks Randy you sure know how to deflect the focus off of yourself dont ya?

Im bussy getting things ready for our Northern Lights trip. It sure snuck up on me in a hurry this year. Tomorrow Im fitting my trailer with some sort of a rock shield with Jay Soderblooms help. My boat took a beating last year on those gravel roads. frown.gif

Keep a eye out on that S.S. for me. Hopefully when I get back Ill have a pic of a fish I want ya to mount! blush.gif

I probably wont be out til I get back from N.L.

hey Polar I will be camping on crescent in the next couple of weeks and dint have a GPS, can you please tell me possible depths, locations i may be able to find on a map without a GPS.

Thanks

Steve, can you ask Jay about that price check on the 3500c lowrance color gps for me. Thanks

Randy I should have something back from him soon. I thought you already got a graph?

Rooster, Stop in at the BeaverHouse bait shop in Grand Marais and buy a cheap plastic map of the lake. We got most of our fish (both walleye and smallies) just east-southeast of the boat ramp trolling maybe 20-30 yards off that shore. The depths change rapidly so you'll be constantly reeling in or letting out line on your Lindy-type rigs. Personally, I like using crawlers but Chickenman caught just as many fish (more bass) on leeches.

You gotta realize though I've only been on the lake one day in my life. There is a ton of good structure everywhere so I know I just scratched the surface. If I were going there again I'd spend one day targeting muskies too. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I worked Ball Club to death for a day and a half. I caught 4 eyes all about 15". To be honest, I don't think there were any more left after I took those because it seemed like they were the last fish in the lake.

I caught 2 trolling crankbaits around a major rock reef and 2 with lindy rigs near submerged tree.

I marked some fish in one area, but couldn't get them to even think about biting so there might be a couple more there.