• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Roller Trailer problem?

hoggs222

Question

I have a roller trailer that is just kind of hard to float a boat onto. It seems to go on right & then when you pull the boat out of the water, it goes crooked. Do you think that those PVC like guides would help keep it straight? They would also come in handy for backing just the trailer in for visibility.

6 answers to this question

I also have a roller trailer. After a couple of outings I found that I could not get the boat on straight if I backed the trailer in to far into the water. I have to back it so far down, and then winch the boat onto the trailer. I let the rollers guide the boat on and 95% of the time it goes on straight now...

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Thats exactly right, don't back into the water too far. The rollers will center the boat.

Got it! Thanks! I was thinking that these PVC guides might help more on a windy day on Mille Lacs.

I agree with not backing in too far. The only other thing I was wondering was if the trailer and the boat match up right. Some rollers can be moved in our out to better fit the hull of the boat, I don't think they'll ever sit right if the rollers don't match the bottom of the boat decently.

I have a roller trailer, but there is only one set in the back. It just doesn't guide the boat the way my older one did. I have bunk style guide on's, and they are next to worthless. If it is windy and I have the luxury of an assistant, I will have them guide the stern position with with a rope. Sometimes it's necessary to refloat the boat on the trailer. But the real solution is to put another set of rollers up near the bow to center the boat with the trailer sprit, and then wind, unlevel ramp, etc. won't have such an irritating effect.

I had a heck of a time with the last boat and trailer that I bought. I finally got the tape measure out and found that the rollers weren't square with the trailer. I loosened the u-bolts and squared things up and it comes on sweet now.