• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Two of my friends and I were anchored next to the Island in front of the Prairie Island campground and were hit by a jet-ski. They came by once and nearly hit us. When they came back we waved them away and hollered at them. They smiled and waved. The 3rd time they came by to splash us again they didn't turn. They hit us full throttle head on! They hit the motor and rt rear corner of the hull. The jet-ski missed my buddy's head by less than a foot and my other friend by a little more. The rider on the back flew at least 15ft in the air and the driver landed on the tumbling machine with her face. It turns out the two had never ridden before. Think a little bit! If we had taken the old fishing boat we were going to there would have been 5 seriously injured and possibly DEAD!

WoW!. Sorry to hear about your luck. No jetskier has any business getting even remotely close to a boating angler. I know in South Dakota, Jet-skis must remain at an idle (no wake) until they are 50 ft from shore. Then they can get on the throttle after they are clear of all docks and other boats. If that is the law in MN, maybe it will take some tickets to make them realize... I hate to get anybody in trouble, but its better than accidents and injuries.

The problem with those things is they don't have any sort of breaking system and you can ONLY turn if you are on the gas. Those 2 factors and new riders is a scray thing.

Wow... I hope you guys are all okay and that you called the authorities. I'm all for having fun on the water but some people just lack common sense. Not trying to be too much of an old fuddy-duddy, but let me guess, both were under the age of 21 and under the influence of alcohol... mad.gif

If nothing else I'm glad you lived to tell the tale.

They were 15 maybe, but not drinking. Just stupid. Who would drink before turning 21 anyway? Lord knows I never would have grin.gif I called the cops and they sent a CO out. It took about an hour. Winona county boat is out of commission. They had to page a CO. The kids were shook up and woozie. Possible concussions. We were just shook up and p.o.ed. The only bright spot to the whole day was the ambulance driver. She looked pretty good. Not as good as my wife of course. But pretty darn nice. The kids were healthy enough that they didn't get the ambulance ride.

Here's my little jetski story...

My wife was almost killed on a jetski by a drunk boater on Lake Zumbro about 15 years ago (it was before I knew her). She dove off the jetski just in time and her seat was shredded by the boat's prop! Her brother-in-law got in his boat and chased them down until the sheriff arrived.

Bubbadust makes a very good point. Stupidity is not restricted to Jetski drivers. I just wish all non-angling boaters/jetters would respect the rights of the fisher people whether we're in a shiny new bass barge or sitting in a less stable jon boat or canoe. I had a family in a ski boat fly by me in my canoe twice while they were pulling a kid on a tube. Pretty good sized river, plenty of room to play, but they felt the need to come over and nearly capsize me while I am within 30 yards of a bluff. Please people, let us fish in peace.

So thats what happened. We must have come by right after it happened. There were 2 people in the water trying to get the jet ski closer to shore. Glad no one was hurt. Must have ruined your day. I know I would have been a little shook up after that. I fish there a lot and see a lot of dumb things going on with all type of watercraft. Again it's just a few who kind of ruin it for everybody.

That would have been about 15 min. after the moron drilled us. We weren't gonna help. We just sat back, had a beer and tried to digest what just happened until the CO arrived. Our driver did not partake of the spirits of course.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• jparrucci
      The majority of docks can't be put it. Water is over the top of pretty much every permanent dock.  Very few docks are in. 
    • cm012419
      Crappies are all up shallow in the south metro. Caught this one shore fishing with a beetle spin from a more secluded lake without much access. All of the crappies were between 7-9 inches with this 11.5" being the exception
    • Wanderer
      A co-worker reported they had some the best fishing ever on V last weekend.  Trolling 6-8 feet in the morning with HJ10’s.  Where the water temps were in the mid/low 50’s
    • PSU
      Those campsites are right across the water from us. Seem pretty well protected and I haven't heard of challenging over there. Holiday weekends they fill up very fast
    • mdogdaddy
      My son camped on Hinsdale with his aluminum runabout. Nice site but walking across the hull parked on uneven ground he separated a couple of the rivets.
    • herm
      Thanks "Skunked Again!" I searched old posts and it sounds like my fiberglass boat might not be the best rig for Hinsdale. Still, would appreciate more advice/input. 
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't know about either of them, but welcome to the forum.
    • SkunkedAgain
      I destroyed my main propeller saving a neighbors dock section from ramming my other neighbor's dock. Definitely watch out for each other out there.   Raven77 - on the plus side of the high water, the floating swim platform that you sold me the other year was able to just float off of the rocks that I had beached it on. No need to do any heavy lifting this season! I'm glad that I tied it to a tree as usual.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A great 2022 MN Fishing Opener for most anglers.  The walleyes and saugers are hungry and the bite is on!  Good numbers of fish caught. Lots of big fish amongst the eaters.  Most anglers were vertically jigging in 6' - 20'.  Anchor up and jig over the side of the boat.  A nice mix of sizes.   The water is a bit dirty on the east portion of the south shore due to runoff from the rivers.  A bright jig with a minnow is the most productive. Reports were also good from the west portion of the south shore.  A bit cleaner water and equally good bite.  Lots of big fish mixed in with eaters.  Some anglers fishing on structure or on the edge of structure where available. On the Rainy River...   A lot of walleyes in the river as predicted, but the current is ripping and the water is a bit dirty.  Those who found slack water often found fish.  The norm was 6' - 15' with a bright jig and minnow.   Typical spots in the main channel were tough to fish due to high current.  The fast moving water helped to congregate fish.  Once you found them, there were normally good numbers. Sturgeon fishing is closed until July 1st.  July 1 - Sep 30 is a sturgeon keep season with one fish per calendar year 45" - 50" or over 75". Up at the NW Angle...  A great jig bite up at the Angle for the opener.  Most fish were caught in 6' - 20' adjacent shoreline structure, neckdown areas and on some shallow flats. Again, a jig and minnow was by far the most common method vertically jigged below the boat.  With cold water, a subtle presentation.  Both fatheads and frozen shiners worked well. Various ways to travel to the Angle. 1.  Drive through Canada to the Angle  (must be vaccinated, no covid test required) 2.  LOW Passenger Service (charter boat service across the lake avoiding customs)  3.  Lake Country Air.(fly from various Midwest locations to LOW and NW Angle) 4.  Take your own boat.  (Safety first, this is a 40 mile ride over big water)  
    • herm
      Greetings all! Our group (two boats/five guys) is looking at fishing/camping trip based at Hinsdale Island Campground or Wake 'Em Up Bay Campground in about 3 weeks.  Can anyone advise about Hinsdale, especially the shoreline for landing boats? (Is it sandy or rocky? Mostly protected?) We're also wondering how busy both campgrounds are? We've stayed at Wake Em Up,  but that was 6-8 years ago and it was mostly empty...just the host and 2-3 others. Nowadays, do either or both fill up on June weekends? (We'd probably arrive on a Saturday, stay most of the week.) Of course, we also welcome suggestions for walleye techniques, depths, etc. We tend to fish smallies during the day and chase eyes in the evening.  Thanks in advance for your help! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.